Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S1 support and OverClocking thread - page 15. (Read 144941 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Makes sense.
Maybe it also would reduce HW errors by turning up the built-in fan's speed.
I heard it can be done by physically disconnecting the blue cable. But I'd prefer to do it within the software. Is there a way? 
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Some questions on PSU:

1* Does the HW error rate depend on the PSU? I get about 3.6% HW errors at freq=400. May it fall if I switch to a better PSU?

2* Is a 450W PSU sufficient? Even at overclock the Antminer S1 does consume a lot less than that (370W or so?)

3* I've read that many of you use Corsair PSUs, and that the Gold rated CS550M is particularly popular. Why not CS450M instead? Sure it consumes a little bit more Watts since it is closer to the limit, but the difference is so small that it does not justify the higher price of the 550 version vs the 450 one. Is there another reason you use CS550M, like stability, durability?

4* How about cheaper brands (as long as it is Silver/Gold rated)?
If it's not your PSU it's very likely that it's heat. If you don't add extra cooling or live somewhere with a low ambient temperature then the chips are probably overheating. It's been shown that the back end of the boards get a lot hotter than the front or middle where the temp sensor is. I managed to drop my error rate with fans blowing on the chips and run at 400mhz with 0.6% errors.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Some questions on PSU:

1* Does the HW error rate depend on the PSU? I get about 3.6% HW errors at freq=400. May it fall if I switch to a better PSU?

2* Is a 450W PSU sufficient? Even at overclock the Antminer S1 does consume a lot less than that (370W or so?)

3* I've read that many of you use Corsair PSUs, and that the Gold rated CS550M is particularly popular. Why not CS450M instead? Sure it consumes a little bit more Watts since it is closer to the limit, but the difference is so small that it does not justify the higher price of the 550 version vs the 450 one. Is there another reason you use CS550M, like stability, durability?

1-No
2-Maybe.  I had a cheap 500w Inland PSU lying around that I used while waiting for my actual PSUto arrive in the mail - could barely power half the S1 - wouldn't power with two blades or a single OCed blade.
3-You want a little overhead.  Running a PSU at 100% capacity is bad for both power consumption and shelf life.  I'm using the EVGA 1000w P2 because it's got a full 10-year warranty, and is 80 Plus Platinum Certified.  One of these can easily power two Antminers, and it's ~$220, so its about the same price as a decent 500w.
4-I would go with only: Antec, Corsair, Thermaltake, OCZ, PC Power and Cooling, or EVGA.  You get what you pay for.  There might be one or two others, but that's all that comes to mind right now.  When looking at a PSU, look at their warranty.  That's how much the manufacturer stands behind their product.  I had an Antec I bought 4-5 years ago that I replaced just recently UNDER WARRANTY when the fan started dying.
Activity: 42
Some questions on PSU:

Activity: 168
just a little fyi

8 pm marked my first full week mining with the S1 - hardly any downtime except for 2 hours when I moved it from home to a data center (where I have two 72u cabinets)

bitcoinx estimated weekly income at $418 USD - my first week was $488 on slush's pool.

By my math, you must have four or five S1's. Right now, a single S1 should average 0.1701 BTC per week (assuming overclocked to 200). At today's rate of about $615 you make about $100 per week.

Yep about right. Thats what I figured as well.
Activity: 20
just a little fyi

8 pm marked my first full week mining with the S1 - hardly any downtime except for 2 hours when I moved it from home to a data center (where I have two 72u cabinets)

bitcoinx estimated weekly income at $418 USD - my first week was $488 on slush's pool.

By my math, you must have four or five S1's. Right now, a single S1 should average 0.1701 BTC per week (assuming overclocked to 200). At today's rate of about $615 you make about $100 per week.
Activity: 168
can someone tell me if this is normal.  ghash.io tells me i am running at 180ghs, but my hw errors are so high.

http://postimg.org/image/wj6f3r6o9/full

No, you have not high errors, you have low errors : 0,3% is low not high !

The simple formule to calculate errors is : HW / DiffA x 100

No the formula would be:

HW / (HW + DiffA + DiffR) *100.
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
can someone tell me if this is normal.  ghash.io tells me i am running at 180ghs, but my hw errors are so high.

http://postimg.org/image/wj6f3r6o9/full

No, you have not high errors, you have low errors : 0,3% is low not high !

The simple formule to calculate errors is : HW / DiffA x 100

Activity: 81
Merit: 10
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
just a little fyi

just an fyi:

with difficulty increases - break even will be about 9 weeks....

Smiley
I got Satoshi's avatar!
I have myself an Antminer S1, overclocked to 200 Gh/s.

I think it is overheating. The chips on the fan side are pretty hot, but I can touch them without it hurting. The chips on the opposite side are so hot that I can only touch them for about a second before it burns. From this side image (https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbitcoinmalaysia.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F12%2FIn-Stock-Bitmain-AntMiner-S1-180Gh-s-2.jpg&t=537&c=EIKKbM4jYKz2gg), you can see the pins in the center that I think are holding the heat sink on the opposite side. There is a grey paste oozing from them; I think it is thermal paste.

It has been running two days straight now, and the room temp is about 70F to 75F.

What is going on here?
If you have not added extra fans to cool the unit, downclock it back to the original setting NOW! An overclocked unit is not able to cool itself sufficiently without extra fans. You need to add extra fans or you are going to damage the unit.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
    I've heard of people using those on other devices and they mix a small amount of epoxy on a spot or two with the thermal paste but I'm not sure if I would recommend using your miner to experiment and find out what the right amount is.
Activity: 308
Double your Personal Bitcoin Funds.
Would these 11x11x5mm heatsink help cooling down the chips at all? Also how would I stick them on, just thermal paste?

Activity: 20
I have myself an Antminer S1, overclocked to 200 Gh/s.

I think it is overheating. The chips on the fan side are pretty hot, but I can touch them without it hurting. The chips on the opposite side are so hot that I can only touch them for about a second before it burns. From this side image (https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbitcoinmalaysia.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F12%2FIn-Stock-Bitmain-AntMiner-S1-180Gh-s-2.jpg&t=537&c=EIKKbM4jYKz2gg), you can see the pins in the center that I think are holding the heat sink on the opposite side. There is a grey paste oozing from them; I think it is thermal paste.

It has been running two days straight now, and the room temp is about 70F to 75F.

What is going on here?
I got Satoshi's avatar!
It's getting a little warm outside and my ants are going up in temps. Most of them are between 41C and 46C "BUT" fans don't seem to spin any faster. Maximum fan speed I've seen is 2040 in the GUI. What gives? Should they be running faster to keep things cool? Is there something I can do other than pulling the blue wire?
It's starting to feel like my posts are invisible. Did I get banned or something?
Depending on the age of the ant, they seem to have slightly different temp ranges set. One of mine will sit at 40 with higher fan speed and the other will sit at 45 with lower fan speed, I think there must be a setting in the firmware somewhere, but I'm not sure where. If they start to get hotter than 49 without spinning faster and your error rate is high, then I'd be worried, until then it sounds pretty normal.
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Do these miners have a built in temp sensor to operate a PWM case fan? Is it using a standard 4-pin PWM connector from the board?
Yes and yes Wink
Activity: 308
Double your Personal Bitcoin Funds.
So mid 40's is ok then.

I do have a fan on the back of all my ants. I've also just ordered a few Delta 150cfm 120mm 4 pin fans from frozencpu.com. I plan on replacing the cooler master 64cfm fans with these.

I just wasn't sure when I saw temps keep rising yet fan only spinning at 1600rpm but that's ok I guess.

My problem is ambient temperatures since I have to occasionally be in my office a few minutes in a day.

It's getting a little warm outside and my ants are going up in temps. Most of them are between 41C and 46C "BUT" fans don't seem to spin any faster. Maximum fan speed I've seen is 2040 in the GUI. What gives? Should they be running faster to keep things cool? Is there something I can do other than pulling the blue wire?
It's starting to feel like my posts are invisible. Did I get banned or something?

I know how that feels, especially since I just posted an easy vmod and Ive seen not many attempt this...
But, ur temps are fine, the fan really starts spinning up when u hit the 50's area....

I read your post but just didn't get it. It's interesting though. A picture or two would be nice and motivate people to try out your mod.
legendary
Activity: 1167
Merit: 1009

Just an Idea I installed a second fan on the back side of all my ants to pull the hot air out since the other one blows in. I powered it off a molex plug on the 1000W PSU I am sharing on 2 ants. Its pulling 778 at the wall with 2 OC'd ants and the additional fans. This helps keep my temps lower but I have also experienced a few warmer days and had my temps rise a little at the hot point in the day
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
 Do these miners have a built in temp sensor to operate a PWM case fan? Is it using a standard 4-pin PWM connector from the board?
Activity: 31

I know how that feels, especially since I just posted an easy vmod and Ive seen not many attempt this...
But, ur temps are fine, the fan really starts spinning up when u hit the 50's area....

You should post some pictures, i'm not entirely sure where these parts are located on the Antminer!

Pages:
Jump to: