Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S1 support and OverClocking thread - page 16. (Read 144941 times)

legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
It's getting a little warm outside and my ants are going up in temps. Most of them are between 41C and 46C "BUT" fans don't seem to spin any faster. Maximum fan speed I've seen is 2040 in the GUI. What gives? Should they be running faster to keep things cool? Is there something I can do other than pulling the blue wire?
It's starting to feel like my posts are invisible. Did I get banned or something?

I know how that feels, especially since I just posted an easy vmod and Ive seen not many attempt this...
But, ur temps are fine, the fan really starts spinning up when u hit the 50's area....
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Double your Personal Bitcoin Funds.
It's getting a little warm outside and my ants are going up in temps. Most of them are between 41C and 46C "BUT" fans don't seem to spin any faster. Maximum fan speed I've seen is 2040 in the GUI. What gives? Should they be running faster to keep things cool? Is there something I can do other than pulling the blue wire?
It's starting to feel like my posts are invisible. Did I get banned or something?
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
For those interested:
Ive succeeded in pencil voltmodding my S1 ... after a days worth of digging through the PCB spec sheet from antminer and not knowing hardly anything about electronics... I dared to try.... =)
So far, its not blown up and Ive modded each of the 8 "modules" on the S1 successfully.
This has been tested only on the December version of the units, after studying differences between Dec/Jan units...not sure if this works the same on Jan ones.... but should.

RESULTS:
Stock:
1.11v on chips measured on top portion of the modules
400mhz @ 1.8% HW

Modded:
1.15-1.18v measured same place, consistency is hard to get w/ a pencil so.... there is some variance between modules
400mhz @ .002% HW

Temps rose about 5c and fan spins a few hundred RPM faster to compensate.
Power also increased by about 25-30w measured at wall

Further OC results are not in yet, thats next on the list.
For now I am keeping a close eye on voltages / temperatures VRMs & ASICs - all seem within good spec
Ultimately hoping it wont die over the next few hours...

ITEMS NEEDED:
voltmeter(that can measure resistance) & pencil

METHOD:
Before proceeding get a ballpark measurement of the chips on the "modules" by doing this:
Make sure voltmeter is set to VDC measurement!

Put negative voltmeter probe on the "GND" contact on the first module
Put positive probe on the bottom side of the orange square component thats in the middle of the "module"
Do this for all modules and note.
Stock they should be right around 1.10-1.11v

NEXT..THE MOD:

Power off the antminer completely!
When looking at a "blade" ... the left most "module" will have a resistor labeled R12.
Measure its resistance from end to end w/ voltmeter, it should read around 4.4-4.45k

Now, take pencil and scribble on top of the resistor from end to end... probably around 10-15 light strokes

Measure the resistor once again ... our target is 4.25-4.3k

If its lower than that, take ur finger and using finger tip skin, swipe it downwards across the resitor.. lightly

Measure resistor again .... if took too much off (back to 4.4 or in the 4.35k area)

Then apply more pencil....

Repeat this process till u meet target of 4.25-4.3k

Once this resistor reads correctly move over to same resistor on the next "module"

Once an entire blade all reads similar target resistance .. Turn the antminer on.
During its bootup process measure resultant voltage by doing this:

Make sure voltmeter is set to VDC measurement!

Put negative voltmeter probe on the "GND" contact on the first module
Put positive probe on the bottom side of the orange square component thats in the middle of the "module"

Do this for all "modules" on the modified "blade"
The voltages so all be close to 1.15-1.17v
Anything higher than 1.2v .. IMMEDIATELY power off the antminer.

If all is well, then you can proceed to the other "blade" on the antminer.

POST METHOD:
Monitor the temps of the antminer, I use finger test method of VRM components ... note the temps of individual components on top of each module .. if after the mod they are scorching hot to the touch and immeditely can feel them "burn" ur finger... well, thats too hot for my comfort ... so may want to undo the mod.
Also, note the difference in feel of temp of the chips before / after mod ...
The hottest VRM / ASIC is gonna be the furthest from the fan ...
Optionally can run the voltage a bit lower on these modules furthest from the fan too... =)

Results should be similar, significantly lowered HW error at same clock speeds before mod. Therefore allowing you to eventually clock it higher ... once you have confirmed the unit is stable and running within temp spec ... for at least a day or 2 I say.

Its all risk so, its up to you of course =)

* HAVE FUN! BE CAREFUL!

** I cant be held responsible if you blow up ur shit!

*** POST RESULTS!

TIP: the little VRM heatsink packs I see being sold on ebay for antminers would keep the VRM's very comfy for a mod like this! I would recommend this for attempting anything thats 1.2v+
The pencil mod can easily take ur antminer into the 1.35v range w/ a solid amount of graphite applied... but u would need SUPERDUPER cooling on that puppy! HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED!
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
What kind of 24 hour returns is everyone getting right now?  I just set up my S1, overclocked to a frequency of 393, holding steady at 200GH/s and error rate around 0.5%.  The past 24 hours I have mined about 0.01 bitcoin which is about half of what I would expect.  Could it be just a bad run in the pool? Currently at BTCGuild PPLNS.  Any thoughts?  Perhaps I should wait for a full week and see what I get!

through slush's pool I am seeing about .0258 daily and my Average hashrate in last 10 rounds: 189133 Mhash/s

mine has been running for 4.5 day nows

I would say get out of that pool as quickly as possible

I set my payout at .1 and got my first payout in just about 4 days

I'm ordering another S1 on moonday

slush's pool : Pool luck (1 day, 7 days, 30 days):   120%, 120%, 107%

thats pretty good!  think it would be worth it to stay since pool should should normalize and BTC has been running low the past week or two so should get above 100% for a while?

24 horu retunrs just got  abit better at 0.018 BTC
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!
can someone tell me if this is normal.  ghash.io tells me i am running at 180ghs, but my hw errors are so high.

http://postimg.org/image/wj6f3r6o9/full
It looks to me like your temps might be a bit high and your avg hashrate looks very low. I also think those HW errors are quite high for standard clock speeds, but I'd trust your pool in the end, they know what they are getting and that's what you get paid for. If anything I'd suggest turning it of for a minute and turning it on again, cgminer can get a bit caught up sometimes...
Activity: 184
Merit: 100
plus, summer is coming.......

this means, people will mine less because it will get too hot in the house to sleep at night, or people will find other 'healthier activities' than sitting around refreshing their browsers?
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
I expect to see a positive ROI, as long as difficulty does not go past 20% jumps again, and assuming we see a few more 11-14% jumps in the near future

its just about physically impossible that the amount of hardware in the network will continue to doble every ~1.5months for ever. buyers are running out of funds and mining farms are reaching capacity.

plus, summer is coming.......
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
What kind of 24 hour returns is everyone getting right now?  I just set up my S1, overclocked to a frequency of 393, holding steady at 200GH/s and error rate around 0.5%.  The past 24 hours I have mined about 0.01 bitcoin which is about half of what I would expect.  Could it be just a bad run in the pool? Currently at BTCGuild PPLNS.  Any thoughts?  Perhaps I should wait for a full week and see what I get!

through slush's pool I am seeing about .0258 daily and my Average hashrate in last 10 rounds: 189133 Mhash/s

Do you expect to ever achieve ROI with increasing difficulty ?

There's always Return On Investment.  It's just a question if it will be negative return, break even, or positive return. I'm assuming you mean positive or break even when you incorrectly use ROI?
Activity: 266
why do you ask?
Activity: 34

Do you expect to ever achieve ROI with increasing difficulty ?

Activity: 585
can someone tell me if this is normal.  ghash.io tells me i am running at 180ghs, but my hw errors are so high.

http://postimg.org/image/wj6f3r6o9/full
Activity: 266

Activity: 111
Merit: 10
Anyone from the UK recently (past few weeks) ordered an antminer? If so what customs charge did you guys pay? or what value did they put on the shipment?
Activity: 23
Activity: 149
Yes i changed the first one to x.x.0.101, and its plugged into my router

im connecting now the s1 directly to the pc with ethernet cable, and its ip is x.x.1.99.
i changed the net settings (s1-pc) to x.x.1.x to open s1 ip address with browser, it shows the starting page and then that message
I'd suggest rebooting your pc, it'll sometimes get 'stuck' when changing ip addresses... especially on windows.

this didnt work, i think something is wrong in the software of the antminer, not in the connection

Everything's ok after hard reset
I read back page 12 and did some calculating with the formula, one of my miner getting errors at 375mhz and another two was getting errors at 393mhz. I want to get near zero error Smiley, so far 1 at 368.75mhz and 2 at 381.25mhz no errors after 1 hour. I was able to get around 187Gh/s and the 2 higher clock around 196Gh/s

here are some hex i calculated using the formula
Hex        mhz
6b89      366.67M
5d05      368.75M
6c09      370.83M
5e05      381.25M
4f01       387.5M

Hope it helps
That's awesome. Thanks! I'm trying some of these odd values to see where I can relax my ants.
Activity: 7
I read back page 12 and did some calculating with the formula, one of my miner getting errors at 375mhz and another two was getting errors at 393mhz. I want to get near zero error Smiley, so far 1 at 368.75mhz and 2 at 381.25mhz no errors after 1 hour. I was able to get around 187Gh/s and the 2 higher clock around 196Gh/s

here are some hex i calculated using the formula
Hex        mhz
6b89      366.67M
5d05      368.75M
6c09      370.83M
5e05      381.25M
4f01       387.5M

Hope it helps
Activity: 190
If 1 S1 takes 360W, can I plug 2 of these on a Corsair HX series 850Watt power supply and be ok?

Anyone know values for 360 ?

Yes you can, but dont overclock them.

What do you mean, vaules for 360?
If 1 S1 takes 360W, can I plug 2 of these on a Corsair HX series 850Watt power supply and be ok?

Anyone know values for 360 ?
Pages:
Jump to: