Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitmark - page 82. (Read 622213 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
October 14, 2014, 05:19:39 PM
Activity: 111
Merit: 101
October 14, 2014, 09:05:19 AM
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
October 13, 2014, 06:17:13 PM
Since this coin has reached it's Q1 first quarter today, I thought I'd give a mini update from a developer perspective.  It's just my own personal view, and does not necessarily reflect view of others or the community.

I've been on this project for just over a month and first of all it's been a lot of fun.  First of all thanks to everyone that has taken part, particularly coinsolidation, who I am amazed has not collapsed of exhaustion yet!  The team is great to work with and everyone has their thing, it's a very enjoyable vibe.  The project area has grown from about 10 people to over 80 in the last month, with some people looking in and some more regular.  There seems to be quite a lot going on in the pipe line, and it's also seems to be operating in the way of a DAC (decentralized autonomous corporation).  So it can be full of surprises sometimes, and everyone can choose their own level of participation.  

Development seems to me to be going quite well.  There's lots of things being worked on and a regular stream of releases coming out, small and big, on the topic of marking.  I would say it's more on the smallish side right now, than the big, but that can change easily.  Markpfennig has a big release in trello that can be tracked, so that is something we're all looking forward to.  Poloniex did an excellent rollout of marking in the space of a few days.  Kudos.

We now have prototypes of marking on a number of platforms:

- slack
- irc
- twitter
- poloniex
- cli / shell
- web
- bitcointalk (yes you can mark here - shhh)
- browser based client side certificates (including android)

These range mainly from proof of concept to full production quality as in poloniex.

What I see as being in the pipeline is:

- email
- github
- android client
- soundcloud
- vimeo
- youtube
- much more!

And quite a bit more.  At the same time maturing the existing work, scaling it, making it robust, security etc.  It seems to get a little better each day, so hopefully that will continue.

Relationships seem to be going pretty well and we actually seem to be working well with lots of other teams.  From my experience that's a rare pleasure in free software, so I think that's a positive.

Our web integration I think is getting really quite strong and we are well placed to be one of the leading coins in the world of REST / Linked Data / Web 3.0 / Semantic Web (all those terms mean similar things) which some people believe is the next logical step for the web -- at least that's what we are betting on.

As with any new technology the transaction levels and users start slow, so the challenge is to increase that, over the next quarter.

I dont normally talk about price, but I think I will give what I see as guidance, take is as you will.  The coin is up almost 1000% in just over a month since I've been involved, which is a pretty decent rise.  Last I checked it was around 110k satoshis.  It's been as high as 250k.  I think a lot of the trading of this project is on *potential* and that's a pretty hard thing to judge, especially if you are not close to the technology at hand.  From a neutral standpoint I thought that when we hit 250k the price was probably ahead of the development at the time and I thought 200k was fair.  Since then imho dev has gone quite well, and I'd say fair would be around 250k sat. now.  So it's a good time to buy or mine cheap coins, imho.  A lot depends on the next 3 quarters, particularly the next quarter.  Watch the metrics primarily of implementations and users, growing tx numbers (mainly off block) and I'd say to a lesser extent mining / trading.  I'd look to consolidate the 250k level then take stock of where we are again.  Well I said more about price than I intended!

I've spoken to quite a few people (technical and non technical) about marking, from artists to geeks.  Most seem to really like the concept.  I keep hearing lots of creative ideas that are inspiring in the same way that bitcoin inspired me in the early days.  For example I really like the mark to tshirt designs that have been discussed.  Hopefully marking is an idea worth spreading and can attract creative people to get involved.  Anyone can help out and make this project what you want it to be.  

Just my 2 marks, hope it helps, looking forward to working with you all!
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
October 13, 2014, 04:16:54 AM
Leathan has been testing out his own Bitcointalk marking integration and someone was asking about how it was supposed to work in that thread: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9182552
Activity: 294
Bitmark Developer
October 12, 2014, 08:10:56 AM
SimpleMulti beta update: A few days ago we opened up a profit switching X11 port (3453). So it is now pretty simple to mine the most profitable X11 coins and get paid out directly in BTM, just mine with a BTM address.

We've had requests for a Scrypt profit switching port, so we're working on that - ETA is probably sometime next week.

Thank you Smiley
Activity: 109
Merit: 11
October 11, 2014, 04:01:44 PM
SimpleMulti beta update: A few days ago we opened up a profit switching X11 port (3453). So it is now pretty simple to mine the most profitable X11 coins and get paid out directly in BTM, just mine with a BTM address.

We've had requests for a Scrypt profit switching port, so we're working on that - ETA is probably sometime next week.
legendary
amarha
October 11, 2014, 05:25:31 AM
xpool.net is now operating on donations.

Zero Fees!

Nice! I hope to see some more people hashing as well as spreading the hash out a bit more. Smiley
legendary
amarha
October 09, 2014, 04:35:57 PM
I just did my first twitter marking! Smiley

https://twitter.com/BitmarkNews/status/520301373611442176

Thanks @klaranet1 and @melvincarvalho!

Note: this is still in testing. Do not try this at home...yet. Smiley
Bitmark Developer
October 09, 2014, 12:24:55 PM
BIT MARK

MARK KARPELES

WTF ... SAME PERSON?

Yes, apparently also Mark Zuckerberg, Mark Shuttleworth, The Mark of the Beast, Satoshi Nakamoto, the love child of Stephen Hawking and Tim Berners-Lee, and a secret Nazi here to do economic war or the world.

Similarly, you are obviously from Microsoft, twice, since you are BING BING.

We were having another useful on-topic discussion.

Could marking be used by on-line sellers to make prudent credit-worthiness decisions ?  If a seller can decide that a buyer is credit-worthy, then an online transaction can go much faster (i.e., no waiting for block chain confirmations).  

A seller can of course themselves maintain a database of clients, and if a client has paid with a crypto currency before, and the transactions have been validated, then the seller can choose to close a transaction online immediately, even before a single block chain validation has occurred, equalling or surpassing the speed at which an online transaction paid with via a legacy credit card can be done.

Can marking be used to make this credit-worthiness decision by sellers who have no previous interaction history with a buyer ?

I see no reason why not, marking together with identifi optionally[1] expose a provable graph of reputation+trust (and former transactions) which could be leveraged to do this,

The same trust combined with public key cryptography and web hooks can be used to allow instant transactions between implementations.  It's very early days but we have the following trello card open.

Marking transactions already have hmac computed signatures on them from the core fields, if implementations had known signing keys they could web-hook post transfers to each other in real time, and settle out of band at end of day.

This is a way for implementations to talk to each other, so they can do transfers off chain and settle the difference between all tx at the end of the day on chain.

[1] Markings are from persona to persona, pseudonymous and off chain, as anonymous as most solutions get.  Users can optionally say "I am persona-x on domain1 and persona-y on domain2", this exposes a graph of reputation/trust per domain, reputation with a purpose within some subject domain.  This is what we mean by optionally.
Activity: 2
October 09, 2014, 12:09:28 PM
BIT MARK

MARK KARPELES

WTF ... SAME PERSON?
Bitmark Developer
October 09, 2014, 12:03:13 PM
Could marking be used by on-line sellers to make prudent credit-worthiness decisions ?  If a seller can decide that a buyer is credit-worthy, then an online transaction can go much faster (i.e., no waiting for block chain confirmations).  

A seller can of course themselves maintain a database of clients, and if a client has paid with a crypto currency before, and the transactions have been validated, then the seller can choose to close a transaction online immediately, even before a single block chain validation has occurred, equalling or surpassing the speed at which an online transaction paid with via a legacy credit card can be done.

Can marking be used to make this credit-worthiness decision by sellers who have no previous interaction history with a buyer ?

I see no reason why not, marking together with identifi optionally[1] expose a provable graph of reputation+trust (and former transactions) which could be leveraged to do this,

The same trust combined with public key cryptography and web hooks can be used to allow instant transactions between implementations.  It's very early days but we have the following trello card open.

Marking transactions already have hmac computed signatures on them from the core fields, if implementations had known signing keys they could web-hook post transfers to each other in real time, and settle out of band at end of day.

This is a way for implementations to talk to each other, so they can do transfers off chain and settle the difference between all tx at the end of the day on chain.

[1] Markings are from persona to persona, pseudonymous and off chain, as anonymous as most solutions get.  Users can optionally say "I am persona-x on domain1 and persona-y on domain2", this exposes a graph of reputation/trust per domain, reputation with a purpose within some subject domain.  This is what we mean by optionally.
Activity: 486
Merit: 104
October 09, 2014, 09:51:02 AM
Could marking be used by on-line sellers to make prudent credit-worthiness decisions ?  If a seller can decide that a buyer is credit-worthy, then an online transaction can go much faster (i.e., no waiting for block chain confirmations). 

Bitmark Developer
October 08, 2014, 10:09:07 AM
Mark has gone semi-dark to maximize productivity and seems to be working his ass off on some big projects.

Not for much longer.  Communication, talking about what will be possible was frustrating, far nicer to talk about what already is possible, so my full focus for another day or two is on this.

Email if anything urgent, I am here 16+ hours per day.

Feedback required on https://trello.com/c/3ZdeCCon/228-marking-domain-name

Thank you.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001
October 08, 2014, 09:34:40 AM
Lots of work being done by lots of people. Smiley

Mark has gone semi-dark to maximize productivity and seems to be working his ass off on some big projects.

Melvin is expanding Klaranet's functionality. First twitter markings:

http://klaranet.com/recent.php?uri=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fklaranet1%23this

PabloAngello is working on his "Bitmarked" android app. Pablo and I had a long chat with a developer from stripe.com about how we can come up with a strategy to accept credit cards for marks. Stripe sounds like a very reasonable company who's willing to work with people to figure stuff out, and not just read off the script like you might expect with Paypal.

Leathan is working on Bitcointalk marking at the moment.

Lots of exciting developments going on now. Moving very fast. Smiley

On an unrelated note:

I notice that someone just posted asking for an invite to slack. Then their post got deleted. If that was moderation, I have to register my continual disappointment at what's going on in this sub with regard to post deletions.

For anyone who wants an invite to slack, just PM me an email a dress and I'll send you an invite. Smiley

I confirm : )

Also if anyone wants to join Slack group, send me your email on priv.
legendary
amarha
October 08, 2014, 09:17:35 AM
Lots of work being done by lots of people. Smiley

Melvin is expanding Klaranet's functionality. First twitter markings:

http://klaranet.com/recent.php?uri=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fklaranet1%23this

PabloAngello is working on his "Bitmarked" android app. Pablo and I had a long chat with a developer from stripe.com about how we can come up with a strategy to accept credit cards for marks. Stripe sounds like a very reasonable company who's willing to work with people to figure stuff out, and not just read off the script like you might expect with Paypal.

Leathan is working on Bitcointalk marking at the moment.

Lots of exciting developments going on now. Moving very fast. Smiley

On an unrelated note:

I notice that someone just posted asking for an invite to slack. Then their post got deleted. If that was moderation, I have to register my continual disappointment at what's going on in this sub with regard to post deletions.

For anyone who wants an invite to slack, just PM me an email a dress and I'll send you an invite. Smiley
Activity: 350
October 08, 2014, 05:29:40 AM
Strange as this may sound, I'm not upset about the price sliding.. It may help break the current yoyo diff. If the price is sufficiently low when the diff changes in a few days it may stop some of the hit and run miners from being attracted to the coin and we can get some stability in the diff. 
Activity: 163
Merit: 100
October 08, 2014, 05:00:23 AM
The network is fine, no add nodes are required.  You can verify the height of the chain by visiting the block explorer.  Sometimes when the chain is exceptionally slow the client can be fooled in to thinking it hasn't sync'd, until the next block is found.

You are right, but he told us he has only one connection and that is not good, so one or two more Nodes can help him, also my Node is 24/7 online but you all ready know that
Bitmark Developer
October 08, 2014, 04:45:59 AM
The network is fine, no add nodes are required.  You can verify the height of the chain by visiting the block explorer.  Sometimes when the chain is exceptionally slow the client can be fooled in to thinking it hasn't sync'd, until the next block is found.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1000
https://bata.io
October 08, 2014, 12:46:44 AM
addnode=hashmuch.com
Activity: 37
October 07, 2014, 09:40:56 PM
Nice project, i wish you good luck Smiley

Hope to start a big project like you soon...
Pages:
Jump to: