Pages:
Author

Topic: bitscalper anyone use this ? [PASSWORDS LEAKED] - page 5. (Read 40963 times)

mav
Activity: 169
Merit: 107
I know I am being a pain but

Negligible:  means very small eg. the probability of a rare event might be thought negligible and we need not consider it worthy of consideration.

Negligence: means  a failure, usually an omission, to have a system in place to protect people.

In this case bitscalper would be negligent if he allowed usernames and passwords out.

If another site lets out usernames and passwords it is that site at fault.

Point taken, negligible vs negligence, however I still say having passwords leaked is not negligible for exactly the same reason I stated before - this kind of attitude to providing services surrounding bticoin is extremely unprofessional and it undermines bitcoin as a whole, not just the site itself. If your consider your password 'negligible' then I have no more argument to make, but I am fairly sure the majority of people do not consider the security of their passwords to be negligible.

And as for the section quoted in bold, I'm pretty sure bitscalper DID allow usernames and passwords out.

edit: and to address theymos' actions being negligible, I think that comparing 'the passwords being vulnerable but nobody knowing' vs 'the passwords being vulnerable and everybody knowing' is also hardly negligible. It is true that this gives bitscalper the opportunity to fix their broken site, but if they're 'away for ten days' then... really... I just don't feel there's any need to say any more. This is not negligible in any way whatosever from any party involved.
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
I know I am being a pain but

Negligible:  means very small eg. the probability of a rare event might be thought negligible and we need not consider it worthy of consideration.

Negligence: means  a failure, usually an omission, to have a system in place to protect people.

In this case bitscalper would be negligent if he allowed usernames and passwords out.

If another site lets out usernames and passwords it is that site at fault.
Sorry, but I misunderstood the gist of your complaint.

However, while I have sympathy for the site owner he should have really made it secure and if, as it seems, he was not damaged then that is fine.

If someone has managed to get a list of logon information and passwords from another site and attempt to break in then it is a good sign that they failed.  But if people do re-use their passwords and not have unique ones for each site there is little even the best legitimate site owner can do.
mav
Activity: 169
Merit: 107
i do believe this is highly negligible and criminal what theymos has tried to do.

I think you mean bitscalper is highly negligible, not theymos...
Negligence is a failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would exercise in like circumstances.

Sounds to me like bitscalper putting themselves in a position to have their passwords leaks matches that definition a lot better than someone who actually accesses those passwords.

I have said it in the past, and will say it again, do not support people who can't or won't design a secure system. They are holding your MONEY ffs, this is not acceptable. It doesn't matter if you only put in a tiny amount, even though the risk to you personally is small, the risk to the perception of bitcoin community and the formation of a stereotype of 'the kinds of people that use it' is simply too high to be worth the tiny returns you will get.
Thank you, I hadn't realised that.  Doesn't it make things a little difficult tracking what has happened if someone else quotes you?
hoo
Activity: 89
i do believe this is highly negligible and criminal what theymos has tried to do.
Huh
what did he do

Theymos pointed every scammer on the internet to bitscalper.

This can be taken as proof.
We are just checking that everything is in order, funds appear safe. We had hundreds of hack attempts those last days and we need to make sure there was no security breach at all and remove the bogus requests before filling withdrawals.

this is text book definition criminal negligence, this kind of action by an admin of bitcointalk should not be allowed to stand.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Bitbuy
Correction :not "of a scam" ----- "or a scam"

You can edit your post to correct things Wink
Correction :not "of a scam" ----- "or a scam"
I don't think you meant to say negligible, but the jury is still out over whether this is someone just a bit naive and overenthusiastic about his idea or a scam.

It is not by any means criminal, however, compared to other sites, the latest of which insists on deposits of $ before permitting trading and harvests email addresses leading to immediate spamming.
legendary
Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001
waiting on my withdraw of 39.9 BTC
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
bitcoin hundred-aire
Huh
what did he do
hoo
Activity: 89
My withdrawal has sat there since Monday with a "processing" message.

I have just managed to get on again and it seems the site owner has cancelled the processing and returned funds to their accounts.

Not unreasonable given any suspicions.

I have just put in a withdrawal request leaving a residual and will see what happens.

As suggested if the funds come back I will provide feedback.
Activity: 633
I was able to log in yesterday and I requested a withdrawal.  No payment yet...  Did we all just get scammed?  Or is this an innocent problem?
Activity: 532
Because of personal freedom concerns, management of bitscalper was forced to leave the site alone for the last ten days.

It means they left the site unattended for 10 days and apparently no communication whatsoever about it.
Either they are paranoid or there is a real concern were they are ( Italy if i remember)

Maybe the admin pass got changed.  It looks like the site got refreshed.
legendary
Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001
Because of personal freedom concerns, management of bitscalper was forced to leave the site alone for the last ten days.

It means they left the site unattended for 10 days and apparently no communication whatsoever about it.
Either they are paranoid or there is a real concern were they are ( Italy if i remember)
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
Ok, my 2 cents worth.  I never deposited more BTC than I expected to lose if it was a scam.  I put in a withdrawal request for my original amount, but left the scalped amount there.  If I eventually get my request filled, and bitscalper is still providing service, I would consider depositing it back.  As with any site like this, I'd never deposit more than I was comfortable losing. 
Activity: 70
We are just checking that everything is in order, funds appear safe. We had hundreds of hack attempts those last days and we need to make sure there was no security breach at all and remove the bogus requests before filling withdrawals.
Activity: 360
Merit: 250
Maybe some has missed that bitscalper has posted, after a long time of silence, one short reply in another thread yesterday.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.749951

But again, after this single post from yesterday, no further step to don't let it look like a scam.

Payout request from already over 1 week are still in the "processing" state.
No explanation why everything looks so bad and what his next steps will be or when he will process payout request.

There are so many open questions and no bitscalper statement.  

If it's scam, what is the most likely thing at the moment, I also don't understand his behavior. I can't imaging that he is getting still bitcoin transfers.
Activity: 333
Merit: 250
Waiting for mine just since monday. They are only appearing as "processing"... Seem it is Scam.
Pages:
Jump to: