Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitstamp TX Fee Exploit - Fee 1.16% instead of 0.2% [Bitstamp Fixes on May 15th] - page 2. (Read 21154 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
explain it like I am 5 years old.

If it was actually explained like you were five years old it might already get too technical for you.
See, the prerequisite to explaining stuff in such a way, is that the person you explain stuff to is assumed to have mental capabilities that are equal, or exceed, those of an actual five years old.

so your brain and logic is the functional one ? amazing...

Start with additions, when you're confident about them, move on to multiplications, you'll see, it's easy, a multiplication is just a repeated addition after all.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
things you own end up owning you
because it is really retarded, this simply imply that he has no fucking clue about what he is talking nor know how to solve a simple math issue, because the same thing happens everyday in your daily life and almost every where, when you go to the gas station they round up the price and I don't see anyone complaining and crying there, and when you go to the grocery store to buy a kilogram of potato the same happens because it is simply never an exact kilogram, yet I don't see people crying there as well.

and by the way, when you trade a fucking $200.01 and pay $0.01 more as fee, of course a $0.01 will change your life right ? and if you do that 100 time a month this would sum up to $1 in total, this will get you broke!!! but of course it is not about the $0.01 it is about how can we live with the fact that there is a successful and efficient business like Bitstamp, No we have to fuck them hard to have peace (fucking jealousy)...

Clearly the one with "no fucking clue about what he is talking [about]" is you. Your comparison is invalid. Read the OP to find out why. Davout is accused of being a scammer by others on this forum, so I'm not here to defend him, but on this issue he's right.

The $5 fix is better than nothing, but not the most honest fix. It suggests that the original problem was a deliberate method by Bitstamp to increase fee revenue.

ok Mr.smart ass, explain to me how is this different, explain it like I am 5 years old.

so lets close our accounts in Bitstamp and start using your shitty exchange right ?

No, you get to keep your bitcents there.
Your dysfunctional brain would be much better served by a dysfunctional engine, neither of them displays the simple ability to add and multiply numbers correctly.

so your brain and logic is the functional one ? amazing...
legendary
1davout
so lets close our accounts in Bitstamp and start using your shitty exchange right ?

No, you get to keep your bitcents there.
Your dysfunctional brain would be much better served by a dysfunctional engine, neither of them displays the simple ability to add and multiply numbers correctly.

Activity: 433
Merit: 260
because it is really retarded, this simply imply that he has no fucking clue about what he is talking nor know how to solve a simple math issue, because the same thing happens everyday in your daily life and almost every where, when you go to the gas station they round up the price and I don't see anyone complaining and crying there, and when you go to the grocery store to buy a kilogram of potato the same happens because it is simply never an exact kilogram, yet I don't see people crying there as well.

and by the way, when you trade a fucking $200.01 and pay $0.01 more as fee, of course a $0.01 will change your life right ? and if you do that 100 time a month this would sum up to $1 in total, this will get you broke!!! but of course it is not about the $0.01 it is about how can we live with the fact that there is a successful and efficient business like Bitstamp, No we have to fuck them hard to have peace (fucking jealousy)...

Clearly the one with "no fucking clue about what he is talking [about]" is you. Your comparison is invalid. Read the OP to find out why. Davout is accused of being a scammer by others on this forum, so I'm not here to defend him, but on this issue he's right.

The $5 fix is better than nothing, but not the most honest fix. It suggests that the original problem was a deliberate method by Bitstamp to increase fee revenue.
legendary
Activity: 1470
They are still going to charge much higher than the posted fees in some cases. The minimum is $5, that's great. But what about $5.01? The fee should be $0.01002 but instead you will be charged $0.02. Okay the breakage seems capped at double now, but that's still a lot.

Their base fee is .5%.
If you place a $5 order you should be charged $0.025, but instead you will be charged $0.03.

In other words, even with their "fix", you'd get charged 20% more than advertised.

I see folks cheering because their answer to the situation was fast...
It's as if the people here would be happy to be served a plate of steaming shit in a restaurant, instead of actual food, as long as the waiter's fast.

so lets close our accounts in Bitstamp and start using your shitty exchange right ? because you've got it all figured out....

It doesn't matter whether he has an exchange thats worse or better he's demonstrating that there is still an issue. Rather than attacking him why don't you raise some valid counter points?
Agree.

It is good to see that Bitstamp has done some improvement to reduce it though. Hopefully they will increase precision eventually.

Only partially agreed. Not all 'ad hominem' arguments are fallacies.

If a Visa exec writes about the dangers of Bitcoin, we'd at least suspect him to be biased. If the owner of a competing exchange vocally slams Bitstamp, it at least invites additional scrutiny.

I'll revisit this topic iff an actual user reports another large enough divergence between advertised and actually paid fees, say 2.2 instead of 2%, and more than just a dollar. Until then, I consider this a decent fix.
legendary
They are still going to charge much higher than the posted fees in some cases. The minimum is $5, that's great. But what about $5.01? The fee should be $0.01002 but instead you will be charged $0.02. Okay the breakage seems capped at double now, but that's still a lot.

Their base fee is .5%.
If you place a $5 order you should be charged $0.025, but instead you will be charged $0.03.

In other words, even with their "fix", you'd get charged 20% more than advertised.

It's as if the people here would be happy to be served a plate of steaming shit in a restaurant, instead of actual food, as long as the waiter's fast.

so lets close our accounts in Bitstamp and start using your shitty exchange right ? because you've got it all figured out....

It doesn't matter whether he has an exchange thats worse or better he's demonstrating that there is still an issue. Rather than attacking him why don't you raise some valid counter points?

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
For now I am happy with the fix as it solves the exploit I mentioned in the OP, however, better rounding precision would be preferred as it is still possible to pay double.

Effectively and through proper planning it is now only possible to have people with 0.2% trading fee pay 0.4% if an order is completely bought by a streak of $5.01 orders.
This is a direct result of their trading fee policy which is mentioned in their ToS. I still do think this needs to be fixed, but we need a lot more community effort to get this done as this is mentioned in their ToS and we agreed to that by trading there.

The main issue I wanted to raise here is that their minimum order limit was not in agreement with their own minimum trading fee. This allowed for a disproportionate rounding error at the customer's expense, and was a (hopefully unintended) exploit to their fee rounding policy. I am happy to see that this particular exploit will be fixed and that their minimum order size has now been attuned to the lower end of their minimum trading fee.

- The exploit was illegitimate and bordering on illegal, which is why it was imperative that it had to be fixed.
- The trading fee rounding is mentioned in their ToS.

This is the main difference I want to stress.

I do however believe that a fair trading fee rounding would be much preferred
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

Their base fee is .5%.

Agree.

It is good to see that Bitstamp has done some improvement to reduce it though. Hopefully they will increase precision eventually.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Their base fee is .5%.

legendary

Their base fee is .5%.

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Their base fee is .5%.

Except that the subject of the thread says 0.2% which leads to the (almost) double fee on a $5.01 trade

legendary
1davout

Their base fee is .5%.

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I still do not agree with this partial fix of Bitstamp. If I place one order I want to be charged for just one order, regardless if it is bought into by three different orders. I decided to place one order so should be charged for just one. Bitstamp is just a scammer exchange with a bad reputation.

Activity: 27
Merit: 0
I still do not agree with this partial fix of Bitstamp. If I place one order I want to be charged for just one order, regardless if it is bought into by three different orders. I decided to place one order so should be charged for just one. Bitstamp is just a scammer exchange with a bad reputation.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643
Writing here to voice my support for the '$5 trade minimum' fix.

On the plus side: fees can be expected to be near the advertised fee percentage from now on.

Also on the plus side: Bitstamp reacted fast to customer complaints and implemented a fix.

Also also on the plus side: Automated high frequency/low volume traders will hate it.

On the negative side, it seems to bring out the trolls. Oh well, can't have everything.

tl;dr To some it might look like a hack, but it's a solid hack, so no complaints from me.

Agreed - issue raised, exchange responded with a reasonable fix.  Job done.   

We have had far worse concerns ignored by other exchanges in the past, let's face it.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 2027

On the plus side: fees can be expected to be near the advertised fee percentage from now on.

Also on the plus side: Bitstamp reacted fast to customer complaints and implemented a fix.

Also also on the plus side: Automated high frequency/low volume traders will hate it.

On the negative side, it seems to bring out the trolls. Oh well, can't have everything.

tl;dr To some it might look like a hack, but it's a solid hack, so no complaints from me.

no need to raise the limit with embedded fees. At current rate you could even lower it down to 10 cents and still have a negligible rounding within a satoshi
Activity: 212
Merit: 100

+1
legendary
Activity: 1470

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 2027
This is ridiculous: there would be no issue at all if they let you set embedded fees, e.g. I buy 0.0023BTC for 1$ gross price, I get 0.0023/1.002 = 0.00229541BTC net amount and the difference = 4.59µBTC is deducted as fees
legendary
1davout
I'm slightly amused by the implication that the fact I operate another exchange somehow makes the hard figures, and the shittyness of the workaround any different Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: