Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitstamp TX Fee Exploit - Fee 1.16% instead of 0.2% [Bitstamp Fixes on May 15th] - page 4. (Read 21154 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
People, please stop being dumb and suggesting retarded fixes.
The correct fix is to learn how to fucking count with more decimal places.

well tell me how would you collect a $0.001 ?

It was explained upthread. Charge the account balance 0.001, round balances down to the penny when withdrawing.

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
things you own end up owning you

well tell me how would you collect a $0.001 ?
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
Because changing your entire decimal precision could cause unintended bugs....

As opposed to what? Intended bugs?
Just because something is inconvenient or hard does not mean it should not be done, applying half-assed pseudo band-aids is exactly what you should not do.

When you have zero experience in a field, and no valid point to make, your best course of action is usually to refrain from talking.
legendary
Activity: 1190
The fix should be simple; don't allow orders to be input that generate a fee less than $0.01.

So as other have said; a $5 minimum order; which IMHO is very reasonable.  And this does not required any messing with the rounding/trading system which could be hazardous.

Mimimum orders are not a solution. Sell/buy orders are not always done in whole but can get split up.

See this example:

• seller A and B are each selling 1 BTC
  • I place my order for 1.00001 BTC
  • my order is executed in 2 steps:
    • buy 1 BTC from seller A
    • and 0.00001 from seller B
    fee is calculated for each transaction independently and this is where error occurs - minimum order size was in place, but still

As other said - they should calculate fee to 5, maybe even 8, decimals – everyone (except Bitstamp) gets happy, but then again happy customers – happy CEO …

And I don't think anyone is going to matter much if there are remainder orders which are less than $5; as it's hard to abuse the system in this manner.  Whereas the current system allows to put in repeated tiny (less than $1) orders.

It doesn't matter if you occasionally get screwed for a couple of $0.01 fees the problem is when this is done repeatedly and consistently so that the amounts add up to huge fees (such as in the OP where clearly someone is placing 100s of $0.86 orders these are not remainders).

Because changing your entire decimal precision could cause unintended bugs....
This kind of change would take months of testing before live implementation for an exchange of bitstamp size.

Where as order limit could be implemented overnight with no chance of serious (money losing) bugs.
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
The fix should be simple; don't allow orders to be input that generate a fee less than $0.01.

So as other have said; a $5 minimum order; which IMHO is very reasonable.  And this does not required any messing with the rounding/trading system which could be hazardous.

Mimimum orders are not a solution. Sell/buy orders are not always done in whole but can get split up.

See this example:

• seller A and B are each selling 1 BTC
  • I place my order for 1.00001 BTC
  • my order is executed in 2 steps:
    • buy 1 BTC from seller A
    • and 0.00001 from seller B
    fee is calculated for each transaction independently and this is where error occurs - minimum order size was in place, but still

As other said - they should calculate fee to 5, maybe even 8, decimals – everyone (except Bitstamp) gets happy, but then again happy customers – happy CEO …
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Has anyone had a reply from support or Hazek that has contacted them?
legendary
1davout
legendary
Activity: 1190

legendary
1davout
Has it always been this way or was there a recent change ?

It has always been this way.
And it's been written on their website as far as I can remember.
Activity: 214
Merit: 101
If I'm not misunderstanding this - the OP's claim to fraud is not as regards to the rounding, but that Bitstamp is intentionally breaking up large orders into micro sized ones, in order to benefit from the rounding. The later would definitely be fraud if it were proven true.
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008
Keep it dense, yeah?
Ugh, rounding policies always cost the end user, which is fair enough provided that it is reasonable and can't be exploited. If something underhand is going on with the exchange in order to screw sellers then that is very concerning.
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
My typical 30 day trading volume is 300k at minimum.

And you didn't notice you were being ripped off?

If I had I would have been the OP. Shit happens. I guess that somehow as "obvious" as it must have been, none of the other handful of people who use stamp noticed it either. Our bad.

Still no reply to my comment on their facebook or the tweet I sent them.

Link to tweet? I will check quality and retweet.
Activity: 11

If I had I would have been the OP. Shit happens. I guess that somehow as "obvious" as it must have been, none of the other handful of people who use stamp noticed it either. Our bad.

Still no reply to my comment on their facebook or the tweet I sent them.
legendary
Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

This issue looks like it was pre planned and calculated. It stinks.

Has it always been this way or was there a recent change ?
Activity: 311
Merit: 250
legendary
1davout

Activity: 373
I would like to report that on Kraken the fees are properly charged without rounding even when an order is filled by splitting it into several trades: Yesterday I had a buy order for 1 BTC on Kraken and this order was split up into 4 different trades: 0.49593 BTC, 0.1 BTC, 0.1 BTC and 0.30406 BTC.  For every one of these 4 transactions I was charged a separate 0.2% fee. The total transaction fee I was charged added up to about the same as it would have been if the trade would have been executed in one single transaction, in fact it was a little lower. So when you trade on Kraken, you will not have the inflating fee problem due to rounding reported by the OP for Bitstamp!.

Thanks for that! I've been meaning to look into Kraken but this just takes what had been a, "Yeah, I should look into that"... and turned it into I'm opening a Kraken account this week. Have you traded There for long?

I opened my account on Kraken just about a month ago. Its a small exchange but so far it looks secure and professional to me, with lots of advanced trading options (you must be verified to be able to use them). Also they have responsive tech support to answer any questions you may have.

So much Kraken spam in this thread, reason more NOT to use them!

LOL there are a total of 6 posts in the entire thread mentioning Kraken, including this one. I only mentioned my recent experience with this exchange since it relates to the issue with splitting up orders into several smaller trades reported by the OP, and someone earlier mentioned they were looking at Kraken for an alternative to Bitstamp.  My second post was in reply to a question of another user about my experience. I don´t know how you conclude from this that the thread is full of Kraken spam? I certainly have nothing to gain from sharing my experience about this particular exchange here, other than possibly helping other users make their own decisions.

BTW I also use Bitstamp and have not had any negative experiences with them so far myself, but do appreciate that the OP started this thread to alert us about their inflated transaction fees.

And I totally agree with ninjabenja´s last post.
Activity: 11
I would like to report that on Kraken the fees are properly charged without rounding even when an order is filled by splitting it into several trades: Yesterday I had a buy order for 1 BTC on Kraken and this order was split up into 4 different trades: 0.49593 BTC, 0.1 BTC, 0.1 BTC and 0.30406 BTC.  For every one of these 4 transactions I was charged a separate 0.2% fee. The total transaction fee I was charged added up to about the same as it would have been if the trade would have been executed in one single transaction, in fact it was a little lower. So when you trade on Kraken, you will not have the inflating fee problem due to rounding reported by the OP for Bitstamp!.

Thanks for that! I've been meaning to look into Kraken but this just takes what had been a, "Yeah, I should look into that"... and turned it into I'm opening a Kraken account this week. Have you traded There for long?

I opened my account on Kraken just about a month ago. Its a small exchange but so far it looks secure and professional to me, with lots of advanced trading options (you must be verified to be able to use them). Also they have responsive tech support to answer any questions you may have.

If by spam you mean "Reasons Bitstamp is currently giving their customers (me), to look someplace else to do business", then - yes it's spam. My typical 30 day trading volume is 300k at minimum. That might not be much for some, but it adds up to a lot of fees for me. Maybe you want to be a bitsamp fanboy and hate on the competition for no good reason; but guys like me work on trust and facts. If I can't trust the place where I do business, I bounce to a place I can. That's a fact. 
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

Activity: 373

Pages:
Jump to: