Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitstamp - wanted to withdraw money and was hit with these weird KYC questions - page 5. (Read 17417 times)

legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1003
--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77
4. When and how did you obtain your Bitcoins?

If I were asked that question, I wouldn't know how to answer them...
Bitcoins from mining, faucets, gambling, donated, giveaways and bounties all mixed together

7. Do you plan more of such withdrawals in the future? If yes, how many and why?

How can they expect someone put a number on how many times they will withdraw in the future?

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Second, while some questions kinda sorta make sense, others are rather useless, redundant or impossible to address accurately. And some of their requests are downright audacious, not to mention grossly lacking respect to personal security. If I mine it's none of their goddamn business what the hell I mine with, what are the hardware specs and sure as hell they don't need to get invoices to every  piece of hardware I mine with.

While I appreciate the idea behind this statement, they do need to cover their own asses just as you do. You can't simply say "I mined them." without being able to prove it, otherwise it invalidates the entire purpose of the survey. To me it looks as if they are trying to gather as much info as possible to soothe laundering concerns, yet still asking little enough to somewhat defend personal security.

If you really did mine the coins you should be able to show that they are relatively fresh from a coinbase tx. Most my coins only have one transaction, and that's from the well known pool to me. I'd argue that point if it were me.

If you don't like that, I believe coinbase has every right to tell you to take your business elsewhere.

Activity: 11
Merit: 0
It's even worse than that: after I answered all those questions, they asked for records relating to the purchase of those bitcoins. MtGox doesn't have records from 2011, and BitInstant isn't even operating anymore!!

I'm not sure what kind of records they'd want for in-person trades with people I haven't spoken to since.
Activity: 242
Merit: 251
Did anyone else receive such a message from support when they tried to withdraw money recently?

We received your withdrawal request. As your withdrawal request met some of our volume and frequency thresholds, we will have to kindly ask you to help us better understand the nature of your relationship with Bitstamp. In order to do so, we require that an additional KYC (know your customer) procedure is completed before we can proceed with the processing of your transfer.

We kindly ask you to answer the following KYC questionnaire:

1. How did you learn about Bitcoin?
2. The purpose of trading on Bitstamp?
3. What is the origin of the deposited Bitcoins? If mining, please specify your hardware specifications and submit a receipt or an invoice for your mining equipment.
4. When and how did you obtain your Bitcoins?
5. What is the reason for your activity - depositing BTC, selling, withdrawing?
6. What are your future plans and activities planned on our exchange?
7. Do you plan more of such withdrawals in the future? If yes, how many and why?
8. Which bank are you using? Please provide the complete address and SWIFT code.

We kindly ask you to submit your answers and documents in a reply to this ticket.

First of all, I exchanged money on Bitstamp exclusively since last spring. Withdrawals were less frequent during these last few months, but I had withdrawals both larger and smaller than the one I tried making now. I'm a verified customer with them.

Second, while some questions kinda sorta make sense, others are rather useless, redundant or impossible to address accurately. And some of their requests are downright audacious, not to mention grossly lacking respect to personal security. If I mine it's none of their goddamn business what the hell I mine with, what are the hardware specs and sure as hell they don't need to get invoices to every  piece of hardware I mine with.

So, anyone else?
Pages:
Jump to: