Pages:
Author

Topic: Bladecenter H 2880W Breakout Boards. Selling from stock, limited time discount - page 8. (Read 34325 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Here are some pics of how we made the harness. My buddy owns a cable manufacturing company and even using $120,000 of equipment, the time and effort was not worth it. I only made these because of the delivery time to get J4bberwock boards for the first 52 Antminer S5's. I highly recommend not even consider doing harnesses and just buy the boards.

The equipment we used  to do this project was an auto feed wire cutting and stripping machine that did all the 10 gauge black and reds. Then we used  an automatic stripping machine to get .6" on the pre-made PCIE wires we got from klondike_bar. An ultrasonic welder was use to join the wires. Had to use a 150 watt soldering iron to join the welded pads to the power supply.

There is also a shot of the power meter when the room was hot and the fans were at max, it was drawing 3785 watts.

http://i.imgur.com/CFaH9p7l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dF4tHgdl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hYmu76ol.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/p5snliql.jpg
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
I hope you fix your ISP connection soon cause I am just waiting for your reply on my PM.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
There is no image for this but the datasheet (linked from that page and also here seems to fit the connector (see extracted image from datasheet) - MOQ 264 unit @ 4.39186 = 1,159.45 GBP (expected 20/02/2015 as of today)

It's the opposite gender, and power pin spacing wasn't good anyway.
Here is the correct datasheet. the "5x5.08" power pin spacing is mandatory.

http://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/-5473380759948139508

The 51940-046LF is 140-150 pieces MOQ, but I already ordered 250 that I should get by the end of january, and a second batch of 250 should reach me before the end of february.

if someone can get full engineering drawings for this connector I can make a 3d model for them.  Then anyone can print them out and just use J4bber's boards like a DYI kit.

That would be great but unfortunately you'd still need the metal connectors, and I doubt we can get them without buying full conectors.
And of course, I assume the connectors are patented. You'll have to design some kind of "generic" holder for the metal contacts.
It's probably doable, but it's not worth the effort unless you need small quantities of connectors and they don't have samples available.

As for DIY kits, if some of you are interested in it and have the skills to do the soldering job, they can request unassembled boards.
Beware, because of the 2oz of copper, and 4 layers, heat dissipate quite well, so it isn't the easiest thing to solder by hand.
It's better to have the PCB warmed at 100-150°C before soldering.

I'll also update this week-end with pictures of the finished 22 PCI-E revision boards since I received the PCBS this afternoon.

Uploading pictures won't be possible earlier because I'm currently without phone and internet access, I'm using my mobile as a modem...
Hopefully it's supposed to be fixed tomorrow.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
There is no image for this but the datasheet (linked from that page and also here seems to fit the connector (see extracted image from datasheet) - MOQ 264 unit @ 4.39186 = 1,159.45 GBP (expected 20/02/2015 as of today)

The 51940-046LF is 140-150 pieces MOQ, but I already ordered 250 that I should get by the end of january, and a second batch of 250 should reach me before the end of february.

if someone can get full engineering drawings for this connector I can make a 3d model for them.  Then anyone can print them out and just use J4bber's boards like a DYI kit.
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
These breakout boards have been performing flawlessly from the very beginning. The power supplies themselves are big and beefy but that only helps to keep them cool and efficient. When I load a DPS2000BB near 100% the custom fan job pushes some serious hot heat out of the unit. I have had almost a 30%+ failure rate on those units because of inadequate cooling. These get warm but I wouldn't say hot. I have noticed if the AC is plugged in but the power switch is off on the breakout board, something is still running, as the pws will get quite warm. A good tip would be to unplug or remove AC power after switching it off on the breakout board.
Activity: 39
I have a test unit set up with 5 Antminer S5's , The Bladecenter appears to be handling it OK. but I think this has got to be close to the max for it. I am wondering if it would be safer to just run 4 per Bladecenter. Can't complain about how loud the S5's are since you can not hear them over the Bladecenter's fans.

drawing 3180 watts at the wall
13 Degrees C air temp increase from input to output
 .998 power factor

Awesome! I've got 4 S5's arriving tomorrow and already have the PSU here. How did you "rig" yours up until the board is available? Do you have pictures? I thought the S5 only pulls around 560W x 5 = 2800W. The BladeCenter H PSU's are 94% efficient 3180 * .94 = 2989W that your S5's are pulling or 597W each. So, it's all pretty close I guess.
I have a test unit set up with 5 Antminer S5's , The Bladecenter appears to be handling it OK. but I think this has got to be close to the max for it. I am wondering if it would be safer to just run 4 per Bladecenter. Can't complain about how loud the S5's are since you can not hear them over the Bladecenter's fans.

drawing 3180 watts at the wall
13 Degrees C air temp increase from input to output
 .998 power factor
One last thing that we need to take care of, the cables.

The question is who will need cables, and how many of them.
Since sourcing them usually takes 2 weeks from order to delivery, it's the good time for you to order (from me or someone else, as you wish)

My home made cables are using 1.5mm² copper wires.
according to tables, 16AWG is 1.31mm², 15AWG is 1.65mm²

Price will be
2.5$ for 24"/60cm
3.5$ for 32"/90cm

I can also source cables with 16AWG aluminium wires, the price should be 0.6-0.8$ cheaper than the copper ones.

For those of you who'd want to make the cables or add a connector to existing cables, I'm also able to provide the crimp pins and 6 pins connectors at a fair price:
0.20$ the 6 pins connector, and 0.04$ the crimp pin

Yes, I'll take some cables as well. Since there will be 22 PCIe connections per board, I'll start with enough for 2 PSU's (44 cables); 22 24" AND 22 32" / copper 1.55mm²

I might make the next set myself since I would like to learn, but so many different 6 pin molex connectors. It will take me a while to figure out which parts are the right ones. Seems like there are pitch differences and probably others. I have a lot to learn :-)

First batch of 200 boards is closed.
There will be a few extra boards in stock after the batch will be shipped.
I'll also try to ship up to 20 boards during the last 2 weeks of january with modded main connectors while waiting for the correct reference.

The first boards with 22 PCI-E plugs will be in my hands by the middle of next week to check them before bulk ordering.

Deposit will be collected during next week.

Any luck on a US distributor yet? Please verify that I'm on the list for the 22 PCIE boards for at least 1, but if you have enough I'll take 3. I'm picking up on of these PSU's now. Thanks so much for developing this. I've been scouring rcgroups.com on how to do this myself. I saw your recent post there as well. It seems they have a lot of info on this type of work but not much on how to do it yourself for the BladeCenter H or any supply that will handle this type of load. Do you plan or would you consider sharing tips or how to's for the do-it-yourself electronics tinkerer in the future?

Thanks again!!

There will be a US distributor for the boards. In fact I'll ship him a big batch in the first days I'll have them ready so he can dispatch the boards for small orders locally.

And everything is ordered to make at least 250 boards for the first batch, so there will be a few left.

The DIY isnt that hard, the pinout to start the PSU is available on rcgroup. (A5 to ground to start, and B2 to 12v to start the fans)
Finding the good connector reference is sometimes harder, but the easy way to do it is to buy the power backplane that goes behind the PSU in the server.

I'm not an expert for the PSUs, but xandrios posted a great "how to" on rcgroup for dealing with unknown PSU

I am not sure how the control pins are labeled but I found a diagram that showed looking from the rear , the upper left pin to ground turned on the supply and right most pin on the second row to turn on the fans, This seams to be working but am I doing it the wrong way ?

This would be a question for J4bberwock.
Activity: 924
Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

Since sourcing them usually takes 2 weeks from order to delivery, it's the good time for you to order (from me or someone else, as you wish)

Price will be
2.5$ for 24"/60cm
3.5$ for 32"/90cm

I can also source cables with 16AWG aluminium wires, the price should be 0.6-0.8$ cheaper than the copper ones.

For those of you who'd want to make the cables or add a connector to existing cables, I'm also able to provide the crimp pins and 6 pins connectors at a fair price:

How many pcie connections can they accommodate?

Peace  Smiley

Price will be
2.5$ for 24"/60cm
3.5$ for 32"/90cm

Looking forward to it!! My PSU just arrived today! Just need the board and I'll be set.

Update,

I should be able to deliver early for 20-30 boards using modded connectors.
I just got the first boards finished using it, and it works exactly as the original one except it's a little more expensive for me, and I need to cut the connector to fit.
No price change for you.

If some of you are interested in earlier delivery with those connectors, let me know, and depending on how many I can have done, I'll divide them among you.
Shipping is expected by the 19th of january for the boards with modded connectors.
I have Jerry rigged one supply to play with it until J4bberwock's boards are ready. Works find but the fans are loud. Can not even here the S5 beside it.

Does any one know what the other control pins do. I was able to find a diagram that showed only how to power on the unit the fans and how to increase voltage by .5, would be nice to under stand all the controls.

Sent you a PM a before but i will take 15 for now.

Doug
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

How many positions has the connector have?

2. This one is 24 signal and 12 power
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/3-6450860-5/A108375-ND/4022487

img

Number 2 looks like it might work. Below is a picture of the back of the supply. The PSU looks to have 20 signal. I doubt they would line up appropriately or the spacing might be too wide. Awesome site though. I did find this through browsing and looks like it might be a match. Need to look at P7 though on the datasheet. Looks weird. Unfortunately, no stock a min order qty is 264 @ $6.18/ea. Not a bad price if it is the correct connector and there are enough orders. Might be able to request a sample or a smaller amount?

Let's continue searching... (looks like J4bberwok had already replied)

Digikey Part Number: 51939-045LF-ND
Part Link: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/51939-045LF/51939-045LF-ND/1491654
Drawing/Datasheet: http://portal.fciconnect.com/Comergent//fci/drawing/51939-045.pdf

Could you turn that PSU over and see if there are any markings on that connector? If so, could you try and read them then transcribe it here?

@J4bberwok - I can not find that part number anywhere, not even on the FCI site, so looks like it must have been a custom one. It does look like a powerblade connector nevertheless, and though I have seen a 6P 24S 6P, I can not find a 20S one, but short of it being custom, I am sure one can be found ... just a matter of looking for the right MOQ's.

Number 2 looks like it might work. Below is a picture of the back of the supply. The PSU looks to have 20 signal. I doubt they would line up appropriately or the spacing might be too wide. Awesome site though. I did find this through browsing and looks like it might be a match. Need to look at P7 though on the datasheet. Looks weird. Unfortunately, no stock a min order qty is 264 @ $6.18/ea. Not a bad price if it is the correct connector and there are enough orders. Might be able to request a sample or a smaller amount?

Let's continue searching... (looks like J4bberwok had already replied)

Digikey Part Number: 51939-045LF-ND
Part Link: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/51939-045LF/51939-045LF-ND/1491654
Drawing/Datasheet: http://portal.fciconnect.com/Comergent//fci/drawing/51939-045.pdf

I've tried every search possible to locate the "power backplane" for that power supply. Do you know the part number or have any suggestions? It looks like it might be a part of the chasis backplane assembly, but of course we're only interested in the plugs/connectors for the psu.

1. There's this one from Digikey, but it has only 35 positions i.e 24 signal and 11 power.

3. This is also 24 signal 12 power, but has a twist to it ... seems to be a male one

The correct one is 51940-046LF (6P 20S 6P). The reference is clearly readable on my boards.

Spacing between the power blades isn't the same on most of the other connectors that can be found.
0.20"(5.08mm) for the good one.

Most of the connectors you will find will have 0.25"(6.35mm) spacing, some will have 0.30"(7.62mm) spacing, and I even found some wixh mixed spacing.

I even searched TE connectivity, Molex and another manufacturer for something that is in stock and will fit.
I've tried every search possible to locate the "power backplane" for that power supply. Do you know the part number or have any suggestions? It looks like it might be a part of the chasis backplane assembly, but of course we're only interested in the plugs/connectors for the psu.

1. There's this one from Digikey, but it has only 35 positions i.e 24 signal and 11 power.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/51667-XX001LF/609-2082-ND/1002397

3. This is also 24 signal 12 power, but has a twist to it ... seems to be a male one
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/6450128-8/A109388-ND/4030605

Pages:
Jump to: