Pages:
Author

Topic: Block Erupter USB owners won't make ROI??? - page 5. (Read 10205 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Drunk Posts
To be fair, ASICMiner's prices were set at auction. What reasonable seller would end an auction just because the item became overpriced? I, as a shareholder, would be very upset if they did, and a business's primary responsibility is to its shareholders.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Because it's shortsighted. When people realize they get ripped off, they tend not to make the same mistake twice. If this was a fly by night model, it would work. But if they are here for the long term, this is a mistake.

I entirely disagree.  What is there to gain by selling a limited quantity item well below what the market will bear, eliminating one's supply quickly, and then having nothing to sell while waiting for more items to be manufactured?

I swear, some of you act like you think the hardware makers are charity organizations instead of businesses.

Likewise I disagree with your assessment, if you want to build a long term business model based on repeat customers, you have to make them feel as if they received value for their purchases, nickel and diming them for the sake of profit will yield poor results in the long term. Customers will not return if you give poor value for their money which the USB erupters do.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Because it's shortsighted. When people realize they get ripped off, they tend not to make the same mistake twice. If this was a fly by night model, it would work. But if they are here for the long term, this is a mistake.

I entirely disagree.  What is there to gain by selling a limited quantity item well below what the market will bear, eliminating one's supply quickly, and then having nothing to sell while waiting for more items to be manufactured?

I swear, some of you act like you think the hardware makers are charity organizations instead of businesses.

A business that delivers what they promise, when they promise, at the agreed on price (or market-negotiated price in the case of an auction model) is a good thing.  I agree that many of the hardware vendors don't fit this, but it's absurd to argue that someone is "ripping buyers off" when they deliver an item exactly as advertised for a price that is higher than you think is sane for it.

"Ripping someone off" would be selling a 20GH miner that only performs at 10GH.  Not selling it at an auction for as much as the market will pay.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Congrats to friedcat, he did it very well considering he had a limited supply and there was a shortage of supply in the market, but saying that those prices are reasonable (meaning they will allow ROI for customers) is plainly and simply retarded.

Why is it the responsibility of a seller to sell for any less than the market will pay him for his goods?

I would consider a seller who wasn't selling for the maximum they could get for low quantity items to be somewhat mentally defective.  There is very strong demand and very limited supply, therefore the prices will be quite high.

Activity: 420
Congrats to friedcat, he did it very well considering he had a limited supply and there was a shortage of supply in the market, but saying that those prices are reasonable (meaning they will allow ROI for customers) is plainly and simply retarded.

Why is it the responsibility of a seller to sell for any less than the market will pay him for his goods?

I would consider a seller who wasn't selling for the maximum they could get for low quantity items to be somewhat mentally defective.  There is very strong demand and very limited supply, therefore the prices will be quite high.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
Everyone agreed that it will never back ROI when its price/auction was announced. (erupter blades/ usb sticks)

This. Everybody knew that those blades were hugely overpriced and there was no return in buying them.

Let's be clear. They just sold some dozens of them. Mostly to newcomers. If they were priced reasonably, you would have seen single persons buying hundreds of them and building big set ups based on those units. That didn't happen, because the blades never made any sense from a business point of view except for ASIC miner and their shareholders. Those units were just a very unprofitable toy for the customer.

The blades, post auction (so at 50 btc) were very reasonably priced. The were literally the only thing you could buy that would ship, and the ROI wasn't terrible (3-4 months).  They also sold hundreds of blades, not dozens of them.

The USB devices, were initially around 6 months ROI and were not looking as good with difficulty increases. That said, they were going for 2.5x their BTC price on ebay, so a lot of people bought them to resell.

Bitching about "the market rate" is ridiculous. ASICMiner had a set inventory, and they sold out, at a rate that maximized profits.

Reasonably priced? Nobody ever got back what they spent on them, and probably never will.

3-4 months ROI? How retarded has someone to be to believe that? How do you calculated that ROI timeframe? Considering constant difficulty with no increase whatsoever? That's impossible and one of the dumbest things you can ever consider, and you have the irrefutable proof in the fact that they will not ROI on that timeframe, in fact most of us thought from the beginning that they will mot ROI at all. Only time will tell, but I stand up correct until now.

The units sold out just because there where only a few hundred on stock. Excellent strategy for ASICMiner and their shareholders, they took the maximum profit possible milking:

A) those willing to mine at a loss
B) those willing to resell the units at an even higher price
C) those that know nothing of basic math

Activity: 310
Everyone agreed that it will never back ROI when its price/auction was announced. (erupter blades/ usb sticks)

This. Everybody knew that those blades were hugely overpriced and there was no return in buying them.

Let's be clear. They just sold some dozens of them. Mostly to newcomers. If they were priced reasonably, you would have seen single persons buying hundreds of them and building big set ups based on those units. That didn't happen, because the blades never made any sense from a business point of view except for ASIC miner and their shareholders. Those units were just a very unprofitable toy for the customer.

The blades, post auction (so at 50 btc) were very reasonably priced. The were literally the only thing you could buy that would ship, and the ROI wasn't terrible (3-4 months).  They also sold hundreds of blades, not dozens of them.

The USB devices, were initially around 6 months ROI and were not looking as good with difficulty increases. That said, they were going for 2.5x their BTC price on ebay, so a lot of people bought them to resell.

Bitching about "the market rate" is ridiculous. ASICMiner had a set inventory, and they sold out, at a rate that maximized profits.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
thousands of the erupters were sold in a couple of weeks

a fool and his bitcoin are soon parted

Truer words have never been spoken.
Except for Kate Upton has nice boobs.  Very nice.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
thousands of the erupters were sold in a couple of weeks

a fool and his bitcoin are soon parted
Activity: 644

And continued to agree and pat themselves on the back for being wise enough not to purchase any as thousands of the erupters were sold in a couple of weeks
Activity: 539
Merit: 517
I'm sure people who buy them don't even know what ROI means Undecided
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
I am with you,  I can see 3 month RIO on hardware but not 7-9 months.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't block erupter usb sticks completely pointless considering the fact that diff is rising at an alarming rate???

I want to know why people even bother paying over 2BTC for a device that most likely won't meet ROI, EVER!

Current difficulty at 19Million these sticks make about $27 a MONTH.  It would take 7 - 8 MONTHS to brake even and that is if diff remains at 19Million, which it won't.

For that matter, erupter blades will also have hard time making ROI.

So best thing to do for now is to get into the DIY avalon stuff.
Pages:
Jump to: