Pages:
Author

Topic: Bounty for Bitcoin Animated Movie [won] - page 8. (Read 88199 times)

legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
I'm sorry I don't share your enthusiasm guys, but I'll wait until I see the video...

I have seen two older animations done by justmoon's designer and have to say it looks really professionally.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

I'm sorry I don't share your enthusiasm guys, but I'll wait until I see the video...
Activity: 411
Merit: 250
This looks great!
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010
That looks fantastic!
I second that. Really looking forward to that video – and spreading it of course. Smiley
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
That looks fantastic!
Activity: 234
Merit: 100
AKA: Justmoon
I will post a status update on Tuesday.

Progress!  Smiley

On the audio front

The script was handed in on schedule on Friday and the finished voice recordings came in yesterday! The studio sent three takes in total. The first one wasn't what we were looking for, however the other two were both damn near perfect. So we spent an hour listening to both and eventually settled on number two, because it sounded a tiny bit more enthusiastic in the very important first section.

Music. Until this morning this was a bit of an open question. But about half an hour we've struck a deal with a film music composer/producer who's both excellent at what he does and (thanks to a preexisting work relationship with our designer) within our budget. He agreed to do both an original score as well as the sound design for the video. I'm really happy this worked out, because a custom score is much, much better than an off-the-rack one and it was not at all clear that we'd be able to afford one. Just like with everyone else on the team, we were a bit lucky.

On the graphics front

Our designer did tons more graphics over the last few days, we're almost ready to start putting it all together during animation! We lost some work on Saturday due to an Illustrator crash, but other than that, everything is going rather well. I don't want to spoil anything major (the final video isn't too far away now anyway), but I think it would be nice to release a little something with every status update. So, for example, yesterday our designer was testing a possible new font:

The script lists some examples of what you can already buy with Bitcoins today, for example:

And of course no such list would be complete without a mention of Alpaca socks, would it? Wink

Remaining todos are the music, some graphics and most of the actual animation work. The next status report is scheduled for Monday, March 14th. If all goes according to plan, that'll be the last update before the release of the video.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
I'll play the hundred I pledged to a good live person explanation.
Activity: 98
Merit: 20
Wow, a lot of messages in this thread.

How attached are people (specifically the bounty providers) to it being an animation? I'm better with live people than with animations. As long as it gets the concepts across (accurately), would voters be satisfied?

Oh, and please avoid the artificial voices. XtraNormal and such are fine for a very short, humourous video, but absolutely excruciating to listen to if you are trying to absorb and understand what it's saying. If your punctuation is not absolutely perfect the text-to-speech synthesizer will throw in pauses at strange points. And I know people who will absolutely refuse to watch anything that has synthesized voices - which defeats the whole purpose of creating the video.

--
Jim
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
http://www.qwiki.com/q/#!/Bitcoin

The above is a Qwiki which could be improved if others here were to suggest other images and videos.  I am new to the site and still learning what the options are for improving Qwiki's.
legendary
Our only goal with this video is to spread Bitcoin and make people interested. Technical information is only included insofar as it helps that goal. As bytemaster says, we need one video to bring new users into the fold and a different one to explain the technology in depth. This one will be the former. I don't want to exclude the possibility that we will work on the latter afterwards.

Sure, but I kind of hope that there is a way to describe how bitcoin works without being too technical.  Maybe not technical at all.

I was thinking of describing bitcoin by replacing computers by a book.

As I see it, we woudl say that all the accounts are numbers written in a public large accounting book.  Everyone can read it at any time.  The only thing is that it is not easy to write in it.  And it's a good thing: if we could all write in the book in the same time, it would be a mess.  So we need a way to make it difficult.  So there is some kind of a magic pen (a cryptographic pen).  To obtain the pen, you must solve a difficult mathematic problem.  And you can only write something that makes sense, otherwise people will immediately see the fraud and ignore what you wrote.

I say this because if we just say what bitcoin is without trying to explain how it works, people will just don't believe it.  I mean: sure, people would be glad to have a decentralised, taxation free money and stuffs.   But  without any explanation about how it is possible, they'll obviously be suspicious.  I would if I hadn't read Satoshi's paper.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
What is your script?  I mean: do you try to explain how bitcoin works (double spending, hashes, blocks...), or do you just describe what bitcoin is (bitcoin address, currency/vs paiement method, P2P)?

Our only goal with this video is to spread Bitcoin and make people interested. Technical information is only included insofar as it helps that goal. As bytemaster says, we need one video to bring new users into the fold and a different one to explain the technology in depth. This one will be the former. I don't want to exclude the possibility that we will work on the latter afterwards.

Looks Like I'm shifting focus, then...
What is your script?  I mean: do you try to explain how bitcoin works (double spending, hashes, blocks...), or do you just describe what bitcoin is (bitcoin address, currency/vs paiement method, P2P)?

legendary
When will the video be released? We don't have an exact date, but I will post a status update on Tuesday. Feel free to ask questions if you have any!

Hey everybody! It's time for our little team to come out of the woodwork! We're about done with our script and it'll go off to a professional voice actor for recording tomorrow. The graphics are being done by a motion graphics designer who specializes in explanation videos just like this. Getting him on board was the lucky break that made this whole thing possible.

The reason for this post is only to announce that we're working on this and perhaps to find out if another professional team may be working on it quietly as well.  Smiley

When it's done, the video will be released under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license. I plan to release as much of the graphics etc. as possible under the same license. I want this project to be a continuing resource for remixes and Bitcoin-related videos by other artists.

We won't release the script ahead of time to avoid it being laden with a history of public debate and personal investment by the time the video even comes out. And since the video is aimed at a general audience, we mostly sought feedback from design, marketing and film people as well as anybody who never heard of Bitcoin. That said, we did make sure we got the technical stuff right. Special thanks to the #bitcoin-otc channel who (mostly unknowingly) helped a great deal in making the script technically accurate. We've also got help from some specific members of the community who I'll thank publicly once the video is out.

What I will post however are a few early draft images to give you a sense of the visual style.

This one is from the opening:

This one is from a later part where we explain how to make a transaction:

Bitcoin is worldwide!!

Don't mind the sizes, the final video will be standard HD. Also they're just draft elements right now, they may look different once they're animated and part of a scene.

When will the video be released? We don't have an exact date, but I will post a status update on Tuesday. Feel free to ask questions if you have any!
Activity: 25
February 27, 2011, 09:19:38 PM
Here is my attempt at a non-technical introduction of bitcoin.  My goal
is to explain to someone not interested in the cryptography or software
aspects of the system why they might find it useful as a currency.  IOW,
assume the cryptography works, the P2P system works, the mining system
is not vulnerable to attack, etc: what properties does the system have?

This is a short, relatively non-technical introduction of bitcoin, a
digital currency.  I'm not going to explain the inner workings of the
system other than to say that it based on a form of applied mathematics
known as cryptography.  The system does not depend on a central
authority.

Let's explore the properties of the bitcoin system, assuming it's
mathematical foundations are sound.  First, the number of coins in the
system is fixed.  Over the next twenty-odd years coins will be slowly
created on a pre-determined schedule.  After that time, no new coins can
be created.  Currently about 6 million coins exist.  There will never be
any more than about 21 million coins created.

This fixed schedule of coin creation is one of the properies that makes
bitcoin useful as a currency. People would not like to accept coins as
payment if it was easy for others to create new ones.

Another useful property of bitcoins is that they are easily divisible
into smaller units.  This is a useful property of a currency since it
allows transactions of any value to be completed.

Finally there is property of bitcoins that make it quite unique as a
currency.  The system allows transactions to be made between people at
practically no cost.  To make a transaction, the seller provides the
buyer a special number identifying a digital wallet.  The buyer uses
this number to transfer coins from their wallet to the sellers wallet.
It takes about 10 minutes for this transaction to be cleared by the
system.  After the transaction has cleared it cannot be reversed.
Activity: 25
February 27, 2011, 08:24:37 PM
I think the following style could be quite effective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

Activity: 157
Merit: 104
February 27, 2011, 09:40:44 AM
i think it should be something like this> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnXU7z2_6Jg
February 25, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
How "animated" does it have to be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvmOfTsXuAc

I would tip that it should be animated like this
rendered figures, spaces, animated interaction
ofc does not have to be rhymed or sung like the example above

Uh.. Yeah, I know my limitations, and cel-shaded line-dancing pop-star clones are a bit out of my league.

But this: http://www.jonathangullible.com/PoL/philosophy_of_liberty.swf

That I can do.
February 24, 2011, 11:56:43 PM
That quality is fine for my "How Bitcoin works technically" bounty, and maybe "Why Bitcoin will work economically" and "Why Bitcoin is better than the alternatives".  It needs a very high-quality voice-over. That speed is way too fast, since everything needs to be explained in great detail.

It could also win my popularity bounties if the video does become popular.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, though. I'll need to see the final product. I'm certainly not going to award any of my goal bounties if I don't think the video covers the topic well, even if it follows the script I posted exactly (since I am not an expert at writing scripts). And I'm not awarding any bounties if it is inaccurate.

Works for me. I'll slow things down some, too. Thanks.
Pages:
Jump to: