Pages:
Author

Topic: Brave browser hijacking links and affiliate codes! - page 2. (Read 1625 times)

legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047
thecryptocurrency.directory

Once you've earned and cashed out the BATs, it might be a tough decision to forego them.

It's true it has become a battle between making money and taking care of your privacy, you have to compute or analyze which one will end up as a better decision, I'm still using Brave not on a daily basis but I would like to see what they are going to do after the announcement of the new browser Braver, there might be confusion by users on the two that are almost similar in names.
tyz
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1530
Currently giving Vivaldi a try, since the 'Braver' fork seems like it's still in early development.  Vivaldi is like a weird hybrid of Chrome and Opera but with supposedly better adblocking.  Only just installed it, so too early to be making recommendations yet.  Fingers crossed, I guess.

//EDIT:  uBlock Origin plugin, too.

I have used Vivaldi for a while as a second browser. It is not bad. Basically it is most of old Opera + Chromium Engine. From my experience, ad blocking is not better or worser than with Chrome, Firefox and others so it has never become my first browser. Also, it is mostly closed source software what is a drawback for me. As an alternative you can use Chromium Browser which is Google Chrome without Google Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
Currently giving Vivaldi a try, since the 'Braver' fork seems like it's still in early development.  Vivaldi is like a weird hybrid of Chrome and Opera but with supposedly better adblocking.  Only just installed it, so too early to be making recommendations yet.  Fingers crossed, I guess.

//EDIT:  uBlock Origin plugin, too.
Activity: 2016
Merit: 531
FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10
I'm using brave browser, I think it's almost a year already but when I decided using it, it wasn't because of the factors mentioned in the OP, I was just using it because it block ads and it's faster compared to using google chrome, that's just based on my experience.

Also, just lately I noticed that advertisements already appear when I'm watching youtube videos, it looks like a google chome to me now.

This thread is interesting though, it's more technical about the project but I'm here to watch it.

Their ad blocker is sometimes broken whenever you run the latest version. Try not to update it for a while. Tends to work for me.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1292
Hhampuz for Campaign management
I'm using brave browser, I think it's almost a year already but when I decided using it, it wasn't because of the factors mentioned in the OP, I was just using it because it block ads and it's faster compared to using google chrome, that's just based on my experience.

Also, just lately I noticed that advertisements already appear when I'm watching youtube videos, it looks like a google chome to me now.

This thread is interesting though, it's more technical about the project but I'm here to watch it.
Activity: 1722
Merit: 801
What happened with Brave browser and their strategy?

I used to be a big fan of Brave browser (you can see my first question on the forum is What's wrong with Brave browser? when I got troubles with the reinstallation of it on my computer) but the topic and such hijacking behavior of Brave browser caused me to stop using the browser.
tyz
legendary
If you're so shocked and your trust is gone, you'd better switch to the forked project Braver Browser.

if the forking is done only to remove the ref link, ...

Yes for now there have only been removed the reflinks and BAT token functionalities. But there are plans for the future to rebuild the browser. There are discussions to base the browser on Firefox-Engine, remove all crypto wallets and all external services like Google Translate for example.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 4265
✿♥‿♥✿
A good alternative to Brave is a self-configured Firefox browser.
Initially, all browsers are provided to users with incomplete privacy protection. But if you slightly modify and disable all unnecessary tracking trackers, then Firefox, in combination with other measures to protect your data, can be quite successfully used.
Here many browser settings are regularly laid out.
https://www.ghacks.net/category/firefox/
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
sucks to hear about Brave they have an actual use case I had high hopes for them.... then this news hit  Embarrassed

Which use case? Browsing the web?

Not like there are browsers available already..
Activity: 593
Merit: 705
sucks to hear about Brave they have an actual use case I had high hopes for them.... then this news hit  Embarrassed
Activity: 2002
Merit: 269
I am using brave browser for years and I didn't know anything about this issue and problem about using brave browser. I really love the use of brave browser because I thought it could help me to keep my privacy and data away from hackers.

i think they are now guilty of abusing their members and partners, they ask for KYC before they send you your rewards and now they are dropping affiliate links on the ads they promote on their browser, it now cast doubts on the reputation of this browser, I stopped using browser, there are still a lot of alternatives.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 220
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ
Yea for real privacy Tor or Firefox with good settings is  probably better.

Brave just do for BAT - if I am using browser, might  as well get paid

not for privacy directly, but for for blocking unwanted/ad traffic - pi-hole is the best.
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1721
MrStork Exchange Service
-snip-
Using the adblocker feature on Brave browser and several other features is the reason why I tried Brave browser. It's not just a matter of earning money, but indeed to try how comfortable this Brave browser is compared to other browsers.

I also use Firefox now and other browsers. But Firefox is my favorite browser, without a hidden REF link like brave browsers do.

As far as I know that the developer behind on the Brave browser is also the former developer on Mozilla Firefox.
Yes, the developer behind Brave Browser is Brendan Eich, a former Mozilla Firefox developer and creator of Javascript. Brave browser is a chromium-based browser, like other browsers, but has many added features.

All browser is very crucial to use if you are caring about your privacy you should consider using a good adblocker. Because if you don't, it might your activity might be tracked by third-party advertising networks.
For the use of Adblocker, Brave browser does already have an internal ad blocker that they developed themselves. But for third-party adblockers it must be considered because it will relate to your privacy issues. I usually use adblocker provided by Kaspersky Antivirus which is more powerful and safer in my opinion.
Activity: 2016
Merit: 531
FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10
if the forking is done only to remove the ref link, I think fork brave to braver will not have a good result. Because, as mentioned before, brave team has fixed it and removed all the ref links from the suggestion URL. I would also hesitate to use braver if the development is still the same as the current brave that will be able to attract users. Because,  if forking is only done with a little difference, I'm sure it won't be able to take over Brave's position. The simple thing is "using it or leave it". IMO For users who are disappointed with Brave, they will choose to leave everything connected to Brave including using the fork version.

Once you've earned and cashed out the BATs, it might be a tough decision to forego them.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 68
I am using brave browser for years and I didn't know anything about this issue and problem about using brave browser. I really love the use of brave browser because I thought it could help me to keep my privacy and data away from hackers.
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1592
hmph..
If you're so shocked and your trust is gone, you'd better switch to the forked project Braver Browser.

if the forking is done only to remove the ref link, I think fork brave to braver will not have a good result. Because, as mentioned before, brave team has fixed it and removed all the ref links from the suggestion URL. I would also hesitate to use braver if the development is still the same as the current brave that will be able to attract users. Because,  if forking is only done with a little difference, I'm sure it won't be able to take over Brave's position. The simple thing is "using it or leave it". IMO For users who are disappointed with Brave, they will choose to leave everything connected to Brave including using the fork version.
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
Also disappointing that Brave Software's CEO is a raving homophobe to boot.  I'll be sure to have a look at the fork.
tyz
legendary
It’s very shocking news for me because last 1 years I continue using this browser and I am very satisfied about this browser feature. Now I am very careful. Thanks for share this important news.               

If you're so shocked and your trust is gone, you'd better switch to the forked project Braver Browser. It is the same source code (and is constantly synchronized with the original) but without the reflinks and other similiar stuff from the original code. It also aims to remove other possible privacy breaking stuff in the future [1].

[1] https://github.com/braver-browser/braver-browser/issues/6
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
It’s very shocking news for me because last 1 years I continue using this browser and I am very satisfied about this browser feature. Now I am very careful. Thanks for share this important news.               
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1592
hmph..
For instance, i set brave shields to block all ads, but some ads isn't blocked.

it's true that sometimes there are ads that still appear whether it's Google ads or other ads. I think there is a change in coding to prevent ads from being detected by adblocker. I use 3 different browsers to compare it, including Firefox, Brave and Osiris, where all three browsers are equipped with ad block from the browser or using an extension. but I still see ads on some websites.
Pages:
Jump to: