Pages:
Author

Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Multiple Exchanges Affected - Possible Global Shutdown - page 3. (Read 13943 times)

Activity: 110
Merit: 10
Actually blockchain is affected, the data on it is not trustable.

Nonsense.  Either you are intentionally spreading misinformation or are just don't understand the issue. Nothing about this affects the blockchain.   Please point to a single confirmed transaction which is "not trustable".

It's just another newbie poster spreading FUD about Bitcoin.

Name:    gamecenteruk
Activity:    4
Position:    Newbie
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Actually blockchain is affected, the data on it is not trustable.

Nonsense.  Either you are intentionally spreading misinformation or are just don't understand the issue. Nothing about this affects the blockchain.   Please point to a single confirmed transaction which is "not trustable".

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Possible Global Shutdown?  I don't think so.
BitSimple is open, and not affected.

I guess the media has a hard time with the concept of a peer to peer network.

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Actually blockchain is affected, the data on it is not trustable. Many missing payments, now already chaos. As for shutdown, anything can happen. In past 24 hours, I got several payments that is never be confirmed, if you think this is not serious, then why gox and bitstamp suspended business?

Funny how all this started after Bitinstant CEO arrested for AML. Then MtGox starts to cover it's AML back. Then they went after people exchanging LocalBitcoins for AML in Florida. Then Apple took Bitcoin app off Applestore. Yeah it all looks like someone has got in for Bitcoin!

There's something funny going on here.. Sorry Sir, for the good of Rome you musr die! Infamy, INFAMY! They've all got it in-for-me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvs4bOMv5Xw
copper member
Activity: 3948
Merit: 2201
Verified awesomeness ✔
I love DOGE, for example, (especially its community)
All the people that I know are annoying as fuck and the coin itself is a joke. But well, that is my opinion.
Activity: 284
Merit: 250
Holy crap, everybody sell now or say goodbye to your life savings

I would go out on a limb and say that most of the people here don't have their life savings in their bitcoin wallets lol

If anybody does, this forum's likely where you'll find them.

I think you will find quite a lot of people with their life savings in their bitcoin wallets. Let's face it, very few westerners are into "saving" anyway these days. The "credit boom" saw to that.

Well, I don't think the "credit boom", as you put it, had anything to do with it, but I hear what you are saying. There are probably going to end up being far too many people that have too much money in these "coins" when the fever finally breaks. I love DOGE, for example, (especially its community) but with something like a million dollars of new "coins" hitting the market every week and no cap on the number of coins to be issued going forward, there is almost no hope for a happy ending.

And getting back to BTC, there are bound to still be plenty of booms and crashes ahead. Everything is still pretty young.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
Maybe the attackers are the gouvermrnts who dont want an free currency
Activity: 335
Merit: 100
Gox got in front of it first, but they could have worded their reasoning for halting withdrawals a little better.   No one trusts the validity of their claims anymore, so even if they are telling the truth, probably 65% or more of the people don't even believe them because their credibility is shot...

Bitstamp:
No funds have been lost and no funds are at risk.
Activity: 518

I would go out on a limb and say that most of the people here don't have their life savings in their bitcoin wallets lol

I think you will find quite a lot of people with their life savings in their bitcoin wallets. Let's face it, very few westerners are into "saving" anyway these days. The "credit boom" saw to that.
Activity: 174
Separation of currency and state.

Activity: 144
just for kicks... look at the pattern six months ago and put it under the magnifying glass:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gukYAyNHzQA/UvrwJhTuA7I/AAAAAAAAHJQ/90e8aohzs9U/s1600/glass.gif
Activity: 476
This is nothing !!! Keep calm . hold your coin . Bitcoin has seen worse

GREAT POST!

You outdid me!

Wink
Activity: 168
This is nothing !!! Keep calm . hold your coin . Bitcoin has seen worse

2014 is crucial for bitcoin. It has gotten off to a pretty terrible start (Shrem, Gox, now other exchanges). Trust is a very hard thing to gain back.

I have far more trust in the bitcoin ecosystem now knowing that Gox and Shrem—both of whom have caused me not insignificant losses due to their incompetence—are out of the game.

Good riddance.

Agreed. Good riddance to bad rubbish indeed. But there is a queue of bad rubbish waiting to be unveiled in the coming months unfortunately.

And most unfortunately, Gox ain't dead yet either  Embarrassed
Activity: 476
Activity: 168
Activity: 1
Merit: 0

2014 is crucial for bitcoin. It has gotten off to a pretty terrible start (Shrem, Gox, now other exchanges). Trust is a very hard thing to gain back.

I have far more trust in the bitcoin ecosystem now knowing that Gox and Shrem—both of whom have caused me not insignificant losses due to their incompetence—are out of the game.

Good riddance.

Good story, and I it's good to see the someone is attacking bitcoin in away that it requires the exchanges to be more responsible for everything that comes into and goes out of their website. Smiley

Agree. Sometimes bad news isn't truly bad. Sometimes it presents an opportunity to grow stronger. It all depends on what happens next. I think of the SR and Shrem events, if SR bust was good news, then Shrem's bust is also good news. MtGox is overall good news. These are events with opportunities to increase trust and fairness. Growing pains.
Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Good riddance.

Think about who would be doing it and why. It isn't some small group, because they would only hit one or two exchanges.

It is the bankers' behind-the-scenes hackers, or it is the NSA, or CIA, or FBI, or their counterparts in the various governments of the world, like the group that the KGB turned into, or MI6, or you name it.

Bitcoin signals the end of the fiat currencies of the world. Those who are in power don't like that idea. the only way they can legally shut down Bitcoin is to shut down all Internet communications they have so carefully built so that they can rape the people.

I'm not a techie, but if I were, I would be advancing all the different ways that I could think of for maintaining and growing public communications beyond the Internet. I would be working to develop an independent communication grid that is entirely decentralized, yet worldwide, just like Bitcoin is.

Smiley

I tend to agree. It could be a small group just looking to buy "cheap coins" for a few days, but it smells more like an attack from somebody really looking to discredit i.e. destroy the trust in bitcoin. Bankers and a few national governments spring to mind.

On a related issue, is it true Bitcoin only has one full-time developer, Gavin?

If so, it seems to me if we learn anything from this debacle is that bitcoin needs a full-time team to deal more quickly with both (a) known possible attacks / vulnerabilities and (b) 'upgrades' to the protocol.

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199
Global Shutdown!!! really?

dont panic Smiley
bad news always sell better

and remember that 24/7/365 Bitcoin have support.
Pages:
Jump to: