Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC-E.COM NICE RECOVERY FROM THE HACK! =) - page 5. (Read 51029 times)

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
Neither the servers nor the database were compromised. There were no SQL injections.

At 04:07 MSK (GMT+4) our LR API Secret Key was compromised. It's 16 uppercase, lowercase letters and digits. They may have bruteforced it for long.

Using the key the hacker imitated LR deposits from many accounts and bought up Bitcoins, Namecoins and Litecoins.

I wonder how the attack worked... You think there's a way to brute force the API key offline? Did btce or LR allow millions of attempts at guessing it? Probably got hacked some other way.

Seems to me the secret key leaked. I bet that was a fault of LR.
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
Neither the servers nor the database were compromised. There were no SQL injections.

At 04:07 MSK (GMT+4) our LR API Secret Key was compromised. It's 16 uppercase, lowercase letters and digits. They may have bruteforced it for long.

Using the key the hacker imitated LR deposits from many accounts and bought up Bitcoins, Namecoins and Litecoins.

I wonder how the attack worked... You think there's a way to brute force the API key offline? Did btce or LR allow millions of attempts at guessing it? Probably got hacked some other way.
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
Ouff!

I was one of the first trading BTC at 39$ each. At first I thought a trading bot went wrong. My $ withdrawal never went trough. Then when I saw every BTC getting drained I knew something was definitely very wrong. Went to bed and now everything seem to have been rolled back.   Cheesy

Stressful event... I really thought a significant part of my BTC was wubbed! That's why I spread all my funds between different exchange and a cold storage wallet.  Shocked

EDIT: I wish my balance is real BTC

Withdrawal BTC is temporary off.

This might not end well.

EDIT2:

Dear users of the Exchange Btc-e.com

The exchange is not going to close. We will refund all losses from our reserves.

We lost our daily volume, approx. 4500 BTC. The attacker couldn't withdraw more
as most BTC were distributed over several offline wallets.

At 10:30 we restored the database to the state it was at 04:00, right before the attack. All trades after 4:00 are reverted.

People who attempted withdrawals before 04:00 MSK will get their funds withdrawn later today.

For people who deposited BTC, LTC and NMC after 04:00 MSK the funds will be put to their balances before market opens.
We are working on the scripts for this.

If you deposited USD after 04:00 MSK you should send us your login, amount and payment system used by email or PM.

Our plan:

1. The trade will be disabled until we restore the balances to the point before market crash.

2. After that, the trade and deposit/withdrawal will be back on, approx. within 1-2 days.

Icq - 610112128
Skype - btc-e.support
E-mail - [email protected]
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
Whew...well, my BTC withdrawal went through, so I got my coins out of there. I was late to the party so I still have USD and LTC stuck there though.

Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
Equilibrium restored

Not yet. They can draw USD and BTC balances as they were before the hack, but what will happen if everyone try to withdraw all their money? Does BTC-e have enough funds to cover every claim?
If we've learned anything from past hacks, it's that that won't happen.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Equilibrium restored

Not yet. They can draw USD and BTC balances as they were before the hack, but what will happen if everyone try to withdraw all their money? Does BTC-e have enough funds to cover every claim?
R-
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Pasta
Equilibrium restored
legendary
Also, watching it happen, it wasn't obvious to me that it was an exchange hack until much later. In fact, until very late I considered it still a possibility that someone was using a large amount of real LR.
Seriously? I understand believing it up to about $12 (a 33% increase over MtGox), but after that not even an insane buyer would keep buying with their own funds. They'd let the price settle.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
After the price rose above $12, it was extremely obvious that this was a hack. Anyone who traded elsewhere with the assumption that the btc-e trade was legit deserves to have the trade rolled-back.
I agree, but it's very hard for a business to say to its customers, "you were stupid to trust us, so you deserve to lose". I'm sure they can find lots of places btc-e talks about how secure and reliable they are and how customers can and should trust them. It's hard to turn around and blame people for doing what you've asked them to do.

Also, watching it happen, it wasn't obvious to me that it was an exchange hack until much later. In fact, until very late I considered it still a possibility that someone was using a large amount of real LR.
Activity: 575
Merit: 500
The North Remembers
That's why you make backup, so in case of problems you do a rollback and problem solved. Not like the scammers of bitcoinica that "we have no backups lol"
Unfortunately, it's not problem solved for at least two reasons. First, you can't rollback coin withdrawals. (They may have a similar problem with LR withdrawals, but I doubt it.) Second, you will have customers who will, in many cases justifiably, feel that rolling back legitimate trades rips them off. (You'll also have a bunch of jerks demanding to keep their ill-gotten gains, such as people who deposited BTC, sold them for $50 each, and then tried to withdraw USD. But screw them.)

For example, consider someone who saw the price rise at BTC-e and then bought a Mt. Gox code and then bought bitcoins at Mt. Gox, withdrew them from Gox and deposited them at BTC-e. A rollback would give them their bitcoins back. That still leaves them out the commission they paid for the Gox code plus  two Mt. Gox commissions (buying the bitcoins and then having to sell them). They also may take exchange losses depending on the timing and are left having to withdraw USD from Mt. Gox.
After the price rose above $12, it was extremely obvious that this was a hack. Anyone who traded elsewhere with the assumption that the btc-e trade was legit deserves to have the trade rolled-back.

I think you meant to say, "Anyone who traded elsewhere with the assumption that the btc-e trade was legit was a freaking idiot."
legendary
That's why you make backup, so in case of problems you do a rollback and problem solved. Not like the scammers of bitcoinica that "we have no backups lol"
Unfortunately, it's not problem solved for at least two reasons. First, you can't rollback coin withdrawals. (They may have a similar problem with LR withdrawals, but I doubt it.) Second, you will have customers who will, in many cases justifiably, feel that rolling back legitimate trades rips them off. (You'll also have a bunch of jerks demanding to keep their ill-gotten gains, such as people who deposited BTC, sold them for $50 each, and then tried to withdraw USD. But screw them.)

For example, consider someone who saw the price rise at BTC-e and then bought a Mt. Gox code and then bought bitcoins at Mt. Gox, withdrew them from Gox and deposited them at BTC-e. A rollback would give them their bitcoins back. That still leaves them out the commission they paid for the Gox code plus  two Mt. Gox commissions (buying the bitcoins and then having to sell them). They also may take exchange losses depending on the timing and are left having to withdraw USD from Mt. Gox.
Activity: 406
Merit: 254
I didn't claimed it.
And I didn't argue with anybody
I believed that, there is no limit.

Edit: Yes theres is a limit, its 2000btc.
sorry for misleading
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
No limit(

Not true. there is a 2000BTC limit. Asshole doesnt know what the fuck he is talking about.

well, theres no meneaning in being rude.

"Our advantages:

•Trading in automatic mode.
•Addition USD deposits within 24 hour
•Instant deposit/withdrawal all coin
•USD Withdrawal within 24 hours

i havent tried withdrowing more than 2000 btc.
so if im wrong, than its good.

There is plenty of reason to be rude to you. You claimed something you did not even know anything about.
No limit(

Not true. there is a 2000BTC limit. Asshole doesnt know what the fuck he is talking about.

well, theres no meneaning in being rude.

"Our advantages:

•Trading in automatic mode.
•Addition USD deposits within 24 hour
•Instant deposit/withdrawal all coin
•USD Withdrawal within 24 hours

i havent tried withdrowing more than 2000 btc.
so if im wrong, than its good.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
No limit(

No limit(
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

They can reverse all the trades and restore balance to pre-hack time. But they will not be able to give back BTC that have been withdrawn. So either they make good and buy it in the market, or they say tough luck and customers lose. I expect they'll reverse everything and then see how much BTC they would need to buy. And at that point they'll decide who loses.

What was BTC withdraw limit ?
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
dev: we do rollback right now
Nice

Activity: 784
firstbits:1MinerQ
What is far more likely is that there is a payment notification interface that was replay attacked due to poor design. I'm not up on how LR notifies of received funds but it may be like Paypal and I know how that one works.

BTC-E receives a http POST saying funds arrived into account. It updates it's exchange accounts locally to reflect that. But if the POST isn't properly qualified/authenticated then someone who knows the protocol can mimic funds deposit and make it appear like they have sent funds. It is critical that a POST back to origin to verify funds happens and perhaps that didn't happen or was MITM somehow.

The result is no funds on account at LR. And free to spend money at BTC-E.

They can reverse all the trades and restore balance to pre-hack time. But they will not be able to give back BTC that have been withdrawn. So either they make good and buy it in the market, or they say tough luck and customers lose. I expect they'll reverse everything and then see how much BTC they would need to buy. And at that point they'll decide who loses.
Pages:
Jump to: