Pages:
Author

Topic: [BTC-TC] BTC Growth: Capital Growth via Hedge Fund-Style Investing - page 11. (Read 251569 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
...Plus the whole sales pitch of "I'm super smart so give me your money and don't ask questions, I'll totally make money for you" I'm not seeing enough evidence of super-smartness.

Now it seems to me you're just being offsensive. To the best of my recollection, the only person who has sought to comment on my intelligence at all, in any way, is you -- and you have now done so repeatedly. You have either disingenuously or grossly ignorantly misrepresented my writing on quantum decoherence, you have strung together a few words and phrases about puts and calls without delivering much in the way of actual meaning (and certainly without offering any meaningful engagement with anything I have written), and you have steadfastly refused to offer anything at all of substance or even to do more than "skim" the relevant material I have provided -- apparently preferring instead just to twirl around and spray insults in all directions, in the hope that something will stick.

For my part, I have much better things to do with my time, and it leaves me feeling dirty and grimy even engaging with another human being at this level of conversation.

You know, you actually seem quite insecure about your own intelligence. Clinging to the "Doctor" title so much you put it in your forum handle. I know people who have PhDs in mathematics and computer science, and they never refer to themselves as "Dr." - it reads as more then a little desperate.

The fact that you've had an apparent adverse emotional reaction to someone pointing out your less then stellar academic record further indicates your insecurity about your actual academic abilities and record.

I don't want people to get scammed and lose all their money. I also don't want people to lose all their money by investing with charlatans. I don't think it's "trolling" to pose questions about a fund manager asking for other people's money, especially when they're not even willing to tell people what they're going to do with it. To me, you appear to be presenting yourself as someone who's more successful then they actually are. That presentation seems fundamentally dishonest to me.

If people want to trust you, that's obviously they're choice. But there's nothing wrong with pointing out problems and concerns people should have.

If that bothers you, well, that's just too bad.

Ouch.

I was planning to wait for the first report prior to investing, but this guy talks mostly perty good! ^^^ Tongue

Well, have fun with that - I guess.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Ouch.

I was planning to wait for the first report prior to investing, but this guy talks mostly perty good! ^^^ Tongue
Activity: 330
Merit: 255
Psychological Investor?  You mean this site with almost zero traffic?

I mentioned the site for those who might like to take a moment to read and understand something I'd written there. In your case, unfortunately, you've passed up the opportunity for substantive engagement in favour of criticising the traffic levels of a new site that's barely 4 months old and contains just a couple dozen articles. And no, not everything in life is an SEO project with success measured in the millions of page views; sometimes I just like to write. I make no apologies for that, to you or to anyone else.

As for some earlier personal insults about SEO, yes, I have a little background in that. "Greg's High Performance SEO" isn't the most popular WordPress plugin in the world, but enough people have found it helpful to their work to have downloaded it a couple of hundred thousand times.

And I have looked at your writing, or at least skimmed it... Your "Academic" work on "Quantum mind theory" or whatever you call it looks to be on par with the Sokal hoax. Vapid "quantum" logorrhea with no real math whatsoever.

Wow, yet more demonstrations of a really convincing determination to avoid anything of substance...

Anyone who takes the time to read and understand anything I have written on the topic -- including picking up my book if they feel the need for "real math" -- will immediately comprehend that my 1990s-era work on quantum decoherence was specifically aimed at debunking quantum theories of mind. Only someone either hell-bent on hurling personal insults or determined to avoid anything deeper than "skimming" could believe that I have anything whatsoever to do with quantum theories of mind, except to debunk them.

...Plus the whole sales pitch of "I'm super smart so give me your money and don't ask questions, I'll totally make money for you" I'm not seeing enough evidence of super-smartness.

Now it seems to me you're just being offsensive. To the best of my recollection, the only person who has sought to comment on my intelligence at all, in any way, is you -- and you have now done so repeatedly. You have either disingenuously or grossly ignorantly misrepresented my writing on quantum decoherence, you have strung together a few words and phrases about puts and calls without delivering much in the way of actual meaning (and certainly without offering any meaningful engagement with anything I have written), and you have steadfastly refused to offer anything at all of substance or even to do more than "skim" the relevant material I have provided -- apparently preferring instead just to twirl around and spray insults in all directions, in the hope that something will stick.

For my part, I have much better things to do with my time, and it leaves me feeling dirty and grimy even engaging with another human being at this level of conversation.

I would suggest again that for the benefit of those of us who would like to carry on more meaningful and less grossly disrespectful conversations, you might consider setting up your own thread elsewhere for your accusations, rather than continuing to pollute this one.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
I think the problem here is that the monthly report schedule seems very slow in bitcoin time.

- ASICMiner pays dividends once a week.
- Coinlenders pays interest once a day.
- Just-Dice shows investors' balances to 8 decimals, in real time. 

Some bitcoin investors simply may not have the attention spans for an investment like this.

Haha the beauty of Bitcoin is the diversity. I agree with you too.

I think that a long term investment such as this would be good for bitcoin, maybe get some people used to slowing down a little.
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
I think the problem here is that the monthly report schedule seems very slow in bitcoin time.

- ASICMiner pays dividends once a week.
- Coinlenders pays interest once a day.
- Just-Dice shows investors' balances to 8 decimals, in real time. 

Some bitcoin investors simply may not have the attention spans for an investment like this.
Sou
Activity: 210
(Bitcoin related text here)
Fact is we'll all see if this is what everyone think it is in a few weeks. Just get your popcorn, folks.
I think it's 1.6 pageviews/visitor, not 1.6 pageviews/day.

Oops, you're right.  It doesn't even list pageviews/day.  Probably because there aren't enough to register.  And only one site links in: cahella.com, which also gets no traffic and is apparently a hackernews outlet.

Sorry guys, there's no real evidence this guy has much of an "Academic" record to speak of, or anything else other then a handful of websites he probably setup himself.

I've stalked your posts on bitcointalk (it's a free country, eh) and I actually agree with most things you've written, so I am prepared to give your views consideration. You don't seem to be a pure troll.

OK, maybe I spoke too loosely when I said Dr Mulhauser had an "impressive" academic career. So what? You can read his resume and articles as well as I can. Does he sound like an idiot to you?

Well, I think his "academic" work on "Quantum mind theory" is rather...  It seems like the kind of thing that someone would write if they thought they were a lot smarter then they actually were.  It doesn't seem like stuff that requires super-genius to come up with at all.  His investing articles are fairly quotidian.

He's pointed out a few things about bitcoin that I believe he was the first to elucidate, e.g., that what is missing from bitcoin exchanges is a means of taking any position, long or short, for different time horizons. There's an unmet need for hedging. That's one of the services he intends to offer. I agree that at some point there will be a company or companies successfully offering that service in bitcoin, and this looks like it has a good chance of being one of them.

Well, if his plan was simply to make money by writing on a large pool of capital by writing lots of puts and calls and getting people to buy them then you could conceivably make money before other people moved into the market and swamped you out.  But there aren't very many investors on these exchanges and most probably don't even know how options work, so there might not be much volume. If you could actually get people to buy your options you might make some money.   But he's not saying "I'm going to create liquidity for options by writing puts and calls and collecting the fees", he's saying he'll take investments and not tell you what he's doing with the money.

Although it's interesting that that's somewhat similar to what Bernie Madoff claimed to have been doing.

Madoff's sales pitch was an investment strategy consisting of purchasing blue-chip stocks and taking options contracts on them, sometimes called a split-strike conversion or a collar.[36] "Typically, a position will consist of the ownership of 30–35 S&P 100 stocks, most correlated to that index, the sale of out-of-the-money 'calls' on the index and the purchase of out-of-the-money 'puts' on the index. The sale of the 'calls' is designed to increase the rate of return, while allowing upward movement of the stock portfolio to the strike price of the 'calls'. The 'puts', funded in large part by the sales of the 'calls', limit the portfolio's downside."

You haven't really offered any reason why you think he is the next Pirateat40; if you've got any evidence though I'm all ears.

IDK, just seems scammy to me. Like xCrowd did. Plus the whole sales pitch of "I'm super smart so give me your money and don't ask questions, I'll totally make money for you" I'm not seeing enough evidence of super-smartness.
legendary
Merit: 1001
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
When is this fund going into action??? It's worth hasn't moved much for sh*t since it was made available.

Fund went live 2-3 weeks ago. The reason the price hasn't moved is because it's not due to report for another couple of weeks.
Activity: 52
When is this fund going into action??? It's worth hasn't moved much for sh*t since it was made available.
Activity: 45
Couple things (please note, I'm not taking sides on the issue. I'm playing devil's advocate).

1. If you Google well enough, he has some legitimate publications. Here's the FWD of his book: http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/bfm%3A978-94-011-5104-7%2F1.pdf Springer is a legitimate academic press.

2. Here's someone who wrote an actual academic review of his book: http://www.theassc.org/files/assc/2495.pdf

3. He's not a professor (as far as I can tell). It's not uncommon for people who aren't professors yet who did a PhD to only have a few (sometimes if any) publications.

4. I do get a gimmicky vibe from his blogs, but that's mostly because they're new and don't have much of a following (yet?). You've got to start somewhere.

5. His public track-record via Google is light, and what there is seems to be more focused on psychology/therapy/philosophy.

6. @ Greg: Bitcoin users have a healthy dose of skepticism and conspiratorial thoughts from its rich history scamming, so heat over credibility and identity comes with the territory.

7. @ Greg: If you do want to lend yourself some more credibility, you might consider posting a more formatted CV and list your publications (ideally with direct links to grab them).
legendary
Merit: 1001
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

Oops, you're right.  It doesn't even list pageviews/day.  Probably because there aren't enough to register.  And only one site links in: cahella.com, which also gets no traffic and is apparently a hackernews outlet.

Sorry guys, there's no real evidence this guy has much of an "Academic" record to speak of, or anything else other then a handful of websites he probably setup himself.

I've stalked your posts on bitcointalk (it's a free country, eh) and I actually agree with most things you've written, so I am prepared to give your views consideration. You don't seem to be a pure troll.

OK, maybe I spoke too loosely when I said Dr Mulhauser had an "impressive" academic career. So what? You can read his resume and articles as well as I can. Does he sound like an idiot to you? He's pointed out a few things about bitcoin that I believe he was the first to elucidate, e.g., that what is missing from bitcoin exchanges is a means of taking any position, long or short, for different time horizons. There's an unmet need for hedging. That's one of the services he intends to offer. I agree that at some point there will be a company or companies successfully offering that service in bitcoin, and this looks like it has a good chance of being one of them.

You haven't really offered any reason why you think he is the next Pirateat40; if you've got any evidence though I'm all ears.

Activity: 279
...the problem is this guy is a huckster, pretending to be some uber-smart "Professor Dr." when in reality he's just some ridiculous SEO faker...

Wow, Ytterbium. You've done a masterful job of lowering the tone of the conversation right down into the gutter.

If you'd like to invest as much time reading material that was actually written by me as you've invested in denigrating my character, I would welcome your input. And if you'd like to offer any substantive criticism -- for example, on any of the strategies I've discussed on Psychological Investor, or on anything else relevant to asset management -- then I'm sure that could go a long way toward restoring the conversation to a more civil and productive level.

However, if you envision your principal contribution as leveraging your anonymity in order to hurl abuse at me or at others, then I would encourage you to consider whether your efforts might be more welcome over in the section specifically dedicated to scam accusations.

Psychological Investor?  You mean this site with almost zero traffic? (an average of 1.6 visitors per day, according to Alexa.  It doesn't even rate on Quantcast)

And I have looked at your writing, or at least skimmed it.  Your investment articles appear to be re-heated banalities with six extra layers of pointless verbiage slathered on. Your "Academic" work on "Quantum mind theory" or whatever you call it looks to be on par with the Sokal hoax. Vapid "quantum" logorrhea with no real math whatsoever.

Hahah. He really is not afraid to give trolls the business. No-nonsense type guy, I like it.

Have fun losing your money.

...the problem is this guy is a huckster, pretending to be some uber-smart "Professor Dr." when in reality he's just some ridiculous SEO faker...

Wow, Ytterbium. You've done a masterful job of lowering the tone of the conversation right down into the gutter.

If you'd like to invest as much time reading material that was actually written by me as you've invested in denigrating my character, I would welcome your input. And if you'd like to offer any substantive criticism -- for example, on any of the strategies I've discussed on Psychological Investor, or on anything else relevant to asset management -- then I'm sure that could go a long way toward restoring the conversation to a more civil and productive level.

However, if you envision your principal contribution as leveraging your anonymity in order to hurl abuse at me or at others, then I would encourage you to consider whether your efforts might be more welcome over in the section specifically dedicated to scam accusations.

Psychological Investor?  You mean this site with almost zero traffic? (an average of 1.6 visitors per day, according to Alexa.  It doesn't even rate on Quantcast)

And I have looked at your writing, or at least skimmed it.  Your investment articles appear to be re-heated banalities with six extra layers of pointless verbiage slathered on. Your "Academic" work on "Quantum mind theory" or whatever you call it looks to be on par with the Sokal hoax. Vapid "quantum" logorrhea with no real math whatsoever.

Hahah. He really is not afraid to give trolls the business. No-nonsense type guy, I like it.

Have fun losing your money.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10

I think I might be in love with you.

Activity: 245
Can't wait the ~two weeks 'til the first monthly report!
Activity: 356

I think I might be in love with you.
Activity: 330

Like I said, Neither pirate nor Madoff ever intended to run a ponzi scheme.  They just got sucked in once they started lying about their profits.
Pirate's scheme was a textbook high yield ponzi. It would be perfectly reasonable to think he planned it that way from the start.

Ultimately it comes down to trust. Anyone looking to invest in the largely unregulated world of bitcoin securities should do their own research and draw their own conclusions based on the information that is available.

Actually if you read the judgement, it looks like he planned on making money day-trading the coins, which he failed to do (the making money part, not the day trading.  He lost money doing that)

So there's at least some of a trail and he is an extremely impressive "SEO faker" if he went out of his way to publish a large book in 1998 for the sake of SEO. Anyways, you either trust him or you don't. In truth, Ytterbium, you don't actually know whether he will lose money or not, you're ultimately just spreading FUD based on some poor investment decisions in the past and very little research. Don't invest if you dont want to, but dont act like you know for a fact anyone who invests will get "destroyed". Because you really don't.

Anyone can get a book published. 

Anyway, based on his writings he seems like a someone who thinks he's a lot smarter then he is who will probably lose your money. Of course it is theoretically possible he might be a idiot who makes money despite himself, since it's quite easy to do in the bitcoin world.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
The next Pirateat40. Anyone who invests in this is going to get destroyed.

I can't prove that you're wrong but I would at least ask you to ask yourself why someone who has had an impressive career in academia, the professions and industry would 'do a' Pirateat40. Greg would be giving up a lot to do that.

What impressive career in academia?  I only see a single paper from him on Google scholar, some new-agey gobbledygook about 'quantum minds' written in the 90s that isn't even formatted like a proper academic article.

I have friends in academia.  A quick Google search of their name and you can find dozens of paper's they've co-authored.

If he really had a successful academic career where are his published papers?

Of course he may not be doing a actual ponzi scheme.  He may just be a delusional idiot who will lose your money.

It seems a lot of the work he did was for a research lab or something (I have to look into it more), not available on Google Scholar. http://mulhauser.net/lib/research/

If you don't have academic papers published in journals, then you don't have an "Academic career".  Period.

Even if I concede your point on academia, I think my argument still stands, unless you want to have a crack at the rest of it. Oh, I see you now just think he may be an idiot. Well, you're entitled to your opinion on that.

Rest of what?  There's no evidence for any of this other then random websites I've never heard of, which he could have setup himself.

I'm not sure I want to wade into the crossfire here, but I feel obligated to point out that pirateat40 DID give up a lot in real life to pull off his scam. I believe he is now being hauled off to jail. Also, Bernie Madoff was very successful prior to his ill-fated ponzi scheme.

Interpret that however you like.

Yup. And like Madoff and Pirate he's probably thinking he'll actually make money with his "hedge fund" - and maybe he will. Or maybe he'll make a lot of money and keep most of it for himself. But the problem is this guy is a huckster, pretending to be some uber-smart "Professor Dr." when in reality he's just some ridiculous SEO faker (IMO - again, since I don't see an academic trail in places that they'd normally show up).

and my own conclusion is that the chance that he intends to run a ponzi is low.

Like I said, Neither pirate nor Madoff ever intended to run a ponzi scheme.  They just got sucked in once they started lying about their profits.

I did a very small amount of google-fu and ran across his book published in 1998 on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0792351037/rzd6bv3v-20

So there's at least some of a trail and he is an extremely impressive "SEO faker" if he went out of his way to publish a large book in 1998 for the sake of SEO. Anyways, you either trust him or you don't. In truth, Ytterbium, you don't actually know whether he will lose money or not, you're ultimately just spreading FUD based on some poor investment decisions in the past and very little research. Don't invest if you dont want to, but dont act like you know for a fact anyone who invests will get "destroyed". Because you really don't.
Pages:
Jump to: