Pages:
Author

Topic: Building Armory on OSX - page 7. (Read 32281 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500
I am the one who knocks
August 27, 2012, 12:48:23 PM
Grrr... mine still fails, even after an XCode upgrade.

Preprocessing...
Starting language-specific parse...
EncryptionUtils.h:178: Warning 362: operator= ignored
EncryptionUtils.h:133: Warning 402: Base class 'BinaryData' is incomplete.
BtcUtils.h:63: Warning 402: Only forward declaration 'BinaryData' was found.
BlockUtils.h:326: Warning 472: Overloaded method AddressBookEntry::AddressBookEntry(BinaryData) with no explicit typecheck typemap for arg 0 of type 'BinaryData'
BlockUtils.h:378: Warning 472: Overloaded method BtcAddress::BtcAddress(BinaryData) with no explicit typecheck typemap for arg 0 of type 'BinaryData'
BlockUtils.h:378: Warning 472: Overloaded method BtcAddress::BtcAddress(BinaryData) with no explicit typecheck typemap for arg 0 of type 'BinaryData'
BlockUtils.h:414: Warning 509: Overloaded method BtcAddress::addTxIO(TxIOPair &) effectively ignored,
BlockUtils.h:413: Warning 509: as it is shadowed by BtcAddress::addTxIO(TxIOPair *).
BlockUtils.h:413: Warning 509: Overloaded method BtcAddress::addTxIO(TxIOPair *,bool) effectively ignored,
BlockUtils.h:414: Warning 509: as it is shadowed by BtcAddress::addTxIO(TxIOPair &,bool).
BlockUtils.h:459: Warning 472: Overloaded method BtcWallet::addAddress(BinaryData) with no explicit typecheck typemap for arg 1 of type 'BinaryData'
BlockUtils.h:459: Warning 472: Overloaded method BtcWallet::addAddress(BinaryData) with no explicit typecheck typemap for arg 1 of type 'BinaryData'
BtcUtils.h:956: Warning 472: Overloaded method BtcUtils::verifyProofOfWork(BinaryDataRef,BinaryDataRef) with no explicit typecheck typemap for arg 0 of type 'BinaryData'
Processing types...
C++ analysis...
Generating wrappers...
g++  -I"/usr/include/python`python -c 'import sys; print str(sys.version_info[0]) + "." + str(sys.version_info[1])'`" -c -O2 -pipe -fPIC  -Icryptopp -DUSE_CRYPTOPP -D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS  -lpthread  CppBlockUtils_wrap.cxx
i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-g++-4.2: -lpthread: linker input file unused because linking not done
g++ -shared -lpthread  UniversalTimer.o BinaryData.o FileDataPtr.o BtcUtils.o BlockObj.o BlockUtils.o EncryptionUtils.o libcryptopp.a "/usr/lib/python`python -c 'import sys; print str(sys.version_info[0]) + "." + str(sys.version_info[1])'`/config/libpython`python -c 'import sys; print str(sys.version_info[0]) + "." + str(sys.version_info[1])'`.a" CppBlockUtils_wrap.o -o ../_CppBlockUtils.so
i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-g++-4.2: /usr/lib/python2.7/config/libpython2.7.a: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [swig] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> Build Environment
HOMEBREW_VERSION: 0.9.2
HEAD: 4ce8717a18bbec90cc07e07dfa296effabdc7bb4
CPU: 8-core 64-bit sandybridge
OS X: 10.7.4-x86_64
Xcode: 4.4.1 => /Developer
CLT: 1.0.0.9000000000.1.1249367152
X11: 2.6.4 in /usr/X11
CC: /usr/bin/clang
CXX: /usr/bin/clang++ => /usr/bin/clang
LD: /usr/bin/clang
CFLAGS: -Os -w -pipe -march=native -Qunused-arguments -mmacosx-version-min=10.7
CXXFLAGS: -Os -w -pipe -march=native -Qunused-arguments -mmacosx-version-min=10.7
LDFLAGS: -L/usr/local/lib
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET: 10.7
OBJC: /usr/bin/clang
PATH: /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/Users/aburns/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/Users/aburns/.rvm/bin:/usr/local/Library/Contributions/cmds

Error: Failed executing: make (armory-qt.rb:16)
I am the one who knocks
August 27, 2012, 09:10:54 AM
What version of Xcode do to have? This still fails for me, I think I might need to update.
Activity: 742
August 27, 2012, 03:21:25 AM
So I made this super simple for people.  I'm sure etotheipi will eventually do this himself, but if you want Armory up and running fast and right now.

Code:
brew tap homebrew/versions
brew tap WyseNynja/bitcoin
brew install wysenynja/bitcoin/bitcoind
brew install --HEAD wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt

You don't need to install bitcoind, but I like to. I might eventually add a startup service for bitcoind.

EDIT: I forgot to mention tapping homebrew/versions
August 27, 2012, 12:29:10 AM
`brew install armoryqt` would be awesome, though a distributable binary would be better for the average user.

I'll try playing around with writing a recipe.

EDIT: wow. this is super easy.  I made a pull request to fix your makefile (it also adds qrc_img_resources.py to .gitignore since it is a generated file).  I'll post my formula in a few minutes.

https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/pull/18

Also, what branch should I be using? Dev still?

Here's the formula I made. It installs my dev branch which has two simple changes.  The first fixes the makefile so it can install into the brew prefix properly.  The second adds a "ArmoryQt.command" file.

You can install it by placing the below code into "`brew --prefix`/Library/Formula/bitcoinarmory.rb" and then `brew install --HEAD bitcoinarmory`

Code: ("`brew --prefix`/Library/Formula/bitcoinarmory.rb")
require 'formula'

class Bitcoinarmory < Formula
  homepage 'http://bitcoinarmory.com/'
  head 'https://github.com/WyseNynja/BitcoinArmory/tarball/dev'
  depends_on 'cryptopp'
  depends_on 'swig'
  depends_on 'sip'
  depends_on 'qt'
  depends_on 'pyqt'
  depends_on 'twisted' => :python

def install
    ENV.j1  # if your formula's build system can't parallelize

system "make"
    system "make DESTDIR=`brew --prefix BitcoinArmory` install"
    bin.install 'ArmoryQt.command'
  end

def test
    system "PYTHONPATH=`brew --prefix`/lib/python2.7/site-packages /usr/bin/python `brew --prefix bitcoinarmory`/share/armory/ArmoryQt.py -h"
  end

def caveats; <<-EOS.undent
    BitcoinArmory.command was installed in
        #{bin}

To symlink into ~/Applications, you can do:
        ln -s #{bin}/ArmoryQt.command ~/Applications/
    EOS
  end
end

Now you can simply open up a terminal and assuming you already have your PATH setup for brew, `ArmoryQt.command`

You can also symlink the .command file somewhere easy to double click or even drop it onto the dock.
I am the one who knocks
August 25, 2012, 06:29:40 PM
I am all for any solution that works.

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
August 25, 2012, 05:53:05 PM
Running into the hell of compiling Armory on OSX....

What if  you required brew for OSX?  I know that is not 'ideal' but it is loads better than what we have today.

Then users could install your custom formula and just brew install armory

https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/wiki/Formula-Cookbook

That is a super interesting idea!

You're right, it's not ideal, but it would dramatically improve the situation -- users that really want it, can get it.  

I'm getting lost in my attempts to split blockchain loading into a background thread.  Multi-threaded programming comes with all sorts of headaches.  When I'm done with this implementation, I'll release it for testing and look at this OSX idea while the Win and Linux users beat on the new version.

EDIT: Scratch that:  I'm going to look at py2app first.  Red Emerald's link for "py2app hell" may very well help me avoid all the things I was worried about.  If that turns out to be trouble, I'll take a shot at your idea
I am the one who knocks
August 25, 2012, 05:07:35 PM
Running into the hell of compiling Armory on OSX....

What if  you required brew for OSX?  I know that is not 'ideal' but it is loads better than what we have today.

Then users could install your custom formula and just brew install armory

https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/wiki/Formula-Cookbook
August 19, 2012, 03:19:08 PM
Red Emerald,

I just committed a Makefile modification to the dev branch.  It's basically just the current master with a bug fix and the updated Makefile.  Can you do a fresh checkout and confirm it works on your system, too?  Just want to make sure I did it right.  It works on the OSX VM I have.
It works and the instructions are getting much simpler!  Once you pull out all the bsddb stuff, it should be this:

Code:
$ brew install python cryptopp swig sip qt pyqt
$ export PATH=`brew --prefix`/share/python:$PATH
$ pip install twisted
$ mkdir ~/src
$ cd ~/src
$ git clone git://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory.git
$ cd BitcoinArmory
$ make

$ PYTHONPATH=`brew --prefix`/lib/python2.7/site-packages /usr/bin/python ArmoryQt.py

I think py2app is what you should be doing.  I'll play around with it if I can get some time.

I will try it, too.  I just don't have high expectations.  I also had to reinstall my Win64 VM and can't get py2exe working.  I've spent hours on it and even my existing config that works on another machine isn't helping me figure it out.  Not looking forward to doing it again on OSX...
I got it working no problem at all with the alias option (-A), but that isn't very helpful.  I'll try again now that you changed the makefile.

Code:
$ py2applet --make-setup ArmoryQt.py
$ vim setup.py

set 'argv_emulation' to False

$ PYTHONPATH=`brew --prefix`/lib/python2.7/site-packages /usr/bin/python setup.py py2app -A

$ open dist/ArmoryQt.app

EDIT: So I'm running into problems with Mountain Lion and macholib. I tried installing the development version of macholib, but that requires the development versions of altgraph and modulegraph which break the non-development version of py2app.  Hopefully you will have better luck with Lion.

This might help: http://b.atcg.us/blog/2010/04/13/py2app-hell-the-first.html
legendary
Core Armory Developer
August 18, 2012, 10:54:51 PM
Red Emerald,

I just committed a Makefile modification to the dev branch.  It's basically just the current master with a bug fix and the updated Makefile.  Can you do a fresh checkout and confirm it works on your system, too?  Just want to make sure I did it right.  It works on the OSX VM I have.

I think py2app is what you should be doing.  I'll play around with it if I can get some time.

I will try it, too.  I just don't have high expectations.  I also had to reinstall my Win64 VM and can't get py2exe working.  I've spent hours on it and even my existing config that works on another machine isn't helping me figure it out.  Not looking forward to doing it again on OSX...
August 18, 2012, 07:06:03 PM
Anyone have advice for how I can distribute it?  The OSX equivalent of py2exe does not look... reliable.  I'll try it, but I would prefer to avoid the complexities and run it as a native python script, if possible.  Perhaps bundle up all the site-packages into the install directory so that it can be standalone without having to install extra dependencies...? 

I'm guessing that packaging and distribution will be the biggest hurdle to getting Armory released on OSX.  Perhaps someone with more OSX experience can provide guidance...

Well, you have to install brew manually on OSX, but if it's already installed it might be possible to make up a .pkg for it with a script that will install everything else required and compile/copy all the necessary parts. Not really certain how well that would work, but failing that you could just use a zip or tarball as you would in a manual installation on linux. App file bundles on OSX might also theoretically be used to contain a python script, but I don't know that the functionality is quite flexible enough for that. If you want to dissect some .app files to see how they work, right click->show contents is what you'll want to look at.

One thing that sucks on OSX though, and I'm not sure if this applies to newer versions, but filepaths which contain spaces tend to seriously mess with makefile type scripts, which cause all kinds of corruption and errors. I don't think the same applies for pkgs, but usually those are installed from a dmg which allows you to control the path name.

I definitely can't bank on the user having the stuff installed already.  It seems like it would be... "irresponsible"... to have the install script actually install brew and all the brew packages.  Perhaps there's a way to make a completely self-contained directory tree (that has python and all dependencies pre-compiled and included).  I don't see why not, it just seems like a mess.

Maybe I should try py2app... but so far I've only heard gripes about things not working right, so I imagine I won't be figuring it out, either (I'd need some serious tinkering time available). 

So, perhaps someone here could donate some time to try this.  I bet it would be even easier with:  Portable Python.
I think py2app is what you should be doing.  I'll play around with it if I can get some time.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
August 18, 2012, 05:32:17 PM
Anyone have advice for how I can distribute it?  The OSX equivalent of py2exe does not look... reliable.  I'll try it, but I would prefer to avoid the complexities and run it as a native python script, if possible.  Perhaps bundle up all the site-packages into the install directory so that it can be standalone without having to install extra dependencies...? 

I'm guessing that packaging and distribution will be the biggest hurdle to getting Armory released on OSX.  Perhaps someone with more OSX experience can provide guidance...

Well, you have to install brew manually on OSX, but if it's already installed it might be possible to make up a .pkg for it with a script that will install everything else required and compile/copy all the necessary parts. Not really certain how well that would work, but failing that you could just use a zip or tarball as you would in a manual installation on linux. App file bundles on OSX might also theoretically be used to contain a python script, but I don't know that the functionality is quite flexible enough for that. If you want to dissect some .app files to see how they work, right click->show contents is what you'll want to look at.

One thing that sucks on OSX though, and I'm not sure if this applies to newer versions, but filepaths which contain spaces tend to seriously mess with makefile type scripts, which cause all kinds of corruption and errors. I don't think the same applies for pkgs, but usually those are installed from a dmg which allows you to control the path name.

I definitely can't bank on the user having the stuff installed already.  It seems like it would be... "irresponsible"... to have the install script actually install brew and all the brew packages.  Perhaps there's a way to make a completely self-contained directory tree (that has python and all dependencies pre-compiled and included).  I don't see why not, it just seems like a mess.

Maybe I should try py2app... but so far I've only heard gripes about things not working right, so I imagine I won't be figuring it out, either (I'd need some serious tinkering time available). 

So, perhaps someone here could donate some time to try this.  I bet it would be even easier with:  Portable Python.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
August 18, 2012, 03:08:20 AM

legendary
Core Armory Developer
August 18, 2012, 01:13:42 AM
Well, I got Armory working on OSX!  I need to play around with it a little bit, but it looks like it mostly works (except for some of the text labels being cut off on the bottom... might consider some OSX-specific settings for the GUI).  I haven't actually moved any coins around with it yet, but creating wallets worked, and I was even able to change the filter (didn't freeze... though I didn't have any tx in it...)

Red Emerald:  thanks so much for the great instructions!  I did some digging around and found about 30 different copies of python and various subdirs that were all candidates for linking/include options and environment variables.  I even tried some of the others thinking I knew better than you (I wanted to try to get everything running from the same python directory tree), but nothing worked except exactly what you posted.  Thanks!

Hello Alan,

For the Mac OSX packaging you might want to liaise with Tachikoma, as he is working on the same thing for Electrum.

I posted on the old Electrum thread how I do it for MultiBit - some of that might be useful to you (but of course it is Java rather than python). The post is here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1075679

I'm a little bothered by the over-protectiveness of Apple (signing keys, app store reviews, etc), but I guess that's one reason many end users like them, but it really makes me not want to develop for them. 

I found a couple links for creating dmg files.  Perhaps I can copy in all the necessary site-packages directories and try to override the PYTHONPATH variable is part of running when OSX is detected.  Then it looks like I just create the .dmg and the user can expand it and drag it into the applications folder...?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/116657/how-do-you-create-an-osx-application-dmg-from-a-python-package
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/96882/how-do-i-create-a-nice-looking-dmg-for-mac-os-x-using-command-line-tools

It looks like those two links together might give me what I need to create an automatic-dmg-creator for Armory.  I just have to experiment a bit...
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
August 17, 2012, 04:29:07 AM
Hello Alan,

For the Mac OSX packaging you might want to liaise with Tachikoma, as he is working on the same thing for Electrum.

I posted on the old Electrum thread how I do it for MultiBit - some of that might be useful to you (but of course it is Java rather than python). The post is here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1075679

Jim
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
August 12, 2012, 01:25:00 AM
EDIT: It seems like this would be a breeze if you didn't use bsddb.  It's been depreciated in python 2.6 and completely removed in 3.0.  I'm not sure if pybsddb even supports the newest version of berkeley-db4 (and berkeley-db5 has been out a while).

Looks like I had an older version in my pip cache.  I downloaded http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/b/bsddb3/bsddb3-5.3.0.tar.gz#md5=d5aa4f293c4ea755e84383537f74be82 and installed that easily.

Is this still an issue?  Now that I have removed the functionality for reading Satoshi wallets (because it only worked with older wallets that no one uses anymore), I can remove the bsddb depedency completely.  Would that be worth it?  I never had any interest in using bsddb myself, but obviously I have no choice if I want to read Bitcoin-Qt wallets.  However, leaving it in there would be slightly preferable in case I want to support those old wallets in the future (the new deterministic wallet formats coming at some point, will not use BSDDB).

On the topic of OSX compiling...  I have still been swamped with... life.  So I haven't had much time for development, but dabbling in OSX is a good exercise while I'm not doing other things.  So I have started learning how to compile things... why are there not packages for anything?  Is that what homebrew is for?

I got swig compiled and running without brew.  It was a good exercise.  Unnecessary complex though (downloaded pcre separately, and used the Tools/pcre-build.sh script with swig).  But from looking at instructions, it looks like I can avoid a lot of pain by just going with brew...?

homebrew takes linux packages and make them easy to install if I am not mistaking. So you should look into the linux versions of things since they will usually work on OSX
legendary
Core Armory Developer
August 16, 2012, 04:54:46 PM
Please get rid of bsddb.

Done!  Will commit it in the next release.  I haven't really tested it, but I just commented out all the code that relies on bsddb, and it shouldn't make a difference because the only module that calls any of that code is the Satoshi-wallet import code that is disabled anyway.

I have been doing one command line call per day, between random other things.  So far, brew has been good to me.  I will try to finish the instructions you posted and maybe I'll finally have Armory working on OSX!

August 15, 2012, 10:51:38 PM
EDIT: It seems like this would be a breeze if you didn't use bsddb.  It's been depreciated in python 2.6 and completely removed in 3.0.  I'm not sure if pybsddb even supports the newest version of berkeley-db4 (and berkeley-db5 has been out a while).

Looks like I had an older version in my pip cache.  I downloaded http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/b/bsddb3/bsddb3-5.3.0.tar.gz#md5=d5aa4f293c4ea755e84383537f74be82 and installed that easily.

Is this still an issue?  Now that I have removed the functionality for reading Satoshi wallets (because it only worked with older wallets that no one uses anymore), I can remove the bsddb depedency completely.  Would that be worth it?  I never had any interest in using bsddb myself, but obviously I have no choice if I want to read Bitcoin-Qt wallets.  However, leaving it in there would be slightly preferable in case I want to support those old wallets in the future (the new deterministic wallet formats coming at some point, will not use BSDDB).
Please get rid of bsddb.

On the topic of OSX compiling...  I have still been swamped with... life.  So I haven't had much time for development, but dabbling in OSX is a good exercise while I'm not doing other things.  So I have started learning how to compile things... why are there not packages for anything?  Is that what homebrew is for?
Yes.

I got swig compiled and running without brew.  It was a good exercise.  Unnecessary complex though (downloaded pcre separately, and used the Tools/pcre-build.sh script with swig).  But from looking at instructions, it looks like I can avoid a lot of pain by just going with brew...?
Oh god.  Don't torture yourself, dude.  Manual dependency tracking is not something worth wasting your time on.  Use homebrew.  It takes all of 10 seconds to install and makes everything way easier. 
legendary
Core Armory Developer
August 12, 2012, 01:05:04 AM
EDIT: It seems like this would be a breeze if you didn't use bsddb.  It's been depreciated in python 2.6 and completely removed in 3.0.  I'm not sure if pybsddb even supports the newest version of berkeley-db4 (and berkeley-db5 has been out a while).

Looks like I had an older version in my pip cache.  I downloaded http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/b/bsddb3/bsddb3-5.3.0.tar.gz#md5=d5aa4f293c4ea755e84383537f74be82 and installed that easily.

legendary
August 09, 2012, 08:34:54 PM
Code:
make[1]: *** [CppBlockUtils_wrap.o] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I am getting tis error on mountain lion any help?
legendary
August 09, 2012, 06:52:07 PM
anyone know if the lion instructions work on mountain lion?
They worked for me on both.

how did you get sip to work? I can't get it to work on mountain lion
Code:
Error: Failed executing: make install (sip.rb:41)

EDIT: Nevermind I had to update my GCC
Pages:
Jump to: