Pages:
Author

Topic: Building Armory on OSX - page 3. (Read 32281 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
February 11, 2013, 06:17:18 AM
I'm trying just now to install Armory on a Macbook Pro running 10.8.2. I installed brew and downloading last version of XCODE and Xcode command line tools.

Will update later Wink

EDIT: everything was going smooth, until I got this errors:

==> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/gnupg/1.4.12 --disable-asm
==> make CFLAGS= -std=gnu89 -fheinous-gnu-extensions
==> make check
==> make install
Warning: Could not link gnupg. Unlinking...
Error: The `brew link` step did not complete successfully
The formula built, but is not symlinked into /usr/local
You can try again using `brew link gnupg'
==> Summary
🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/gnupg/1.4.12: 54 files, 5,0M, built in 2.1 minutes
==> Installing armory-qt
==> Cloning https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory.git
Updating /Library/Caches/Homebrew/armory-qt--git
==> Checking out tag v0.86.3-beta
==> Patching
patching file ArmoryQt.command
==> git verify-tag v0.86.3-beta
gpg: /Users/****/.gnupg/gpg.conf:233: invalid auto-key-locate list

and then, when I try to run the client:

MacBook-Pro:~ mr$ ArmoryQt.command
-bash: ArmoryQt.command: command not found

Any idea why this happens? I had installed MacGPG2 before running the commands, maybe that's a problem? I tryed "brew link gnupg" and I get this:

MacBook-Pro:~ mr$ brew link gnupg
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/gnupg/1.4.12... Warning: Could not link gnupg. Unlinking...

Error: Could not symlink file: /usr/local/Cellar/gnupg/1.4.12/bin/gpg
Target /usr/local/bin/gpg already exists. You may need to delete it.
To force the link and delete this file, do:
  brew link --overwrite formula_name

To list all files that would be deleted:
  brew link --overwrite --dry-run formula_name
MacBook-Pro:~ mr$ brew link --overwrite --dry-run formula_name
Error: No such keg: /usr/local/Cellar/formula_name

I'm afraid that deleting those files could make me loose my private GPG key... Any idea of how to proceed?
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
February 11, 2013, 04:22:01 AM
Thanks guys!
Activity: 560
I am the one who knocks
February 10, 2013, 12:16:16 PM
I am very grateful for Red Emeralds work.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
February 09, 2013, 01:55:29 AM
(2) Everything I just said in #1 is based on getting no help from anyone else.  If someone else were to make an OSX bundle of Armory for me, and then give me what I need to know to understand how it was made and can rebuild/update it myself... then I can bump it way up in priority.  It's current priority is based on how much else has to be put on hold while I figure it out.  If someone gives me what I need to figure it out in day or two, there's no reason for me not to do it right way.
I've given it a good try a couple times, but pyinstaller barfs on some macholib errors that I haven't been able to sort out and py2app does similarly Sad

When I gave up on that, I made the brew tap.

That's pretty bad news for me.  I have pretty much never used OSX for anything, and if you can't get it working,  I'm pretty sure it's going to be a total bear for me. 

On the upside,  the satoshi client uses Qt,  too (though not python/PyQt),  and they bundle it all up into a pretty OSX package the way I want to do it.   Perhaps we can start from their packaging system and modify it until we get there...  I think Gavin actually responded in this thread a while ago with some links... But I'm on my phone right with poor Internet connection, so I can't really go back and check easily.

Again,  this is something I will make happen at some point but not soon unless users with more OSX experience help.

And Red Emerald, don't feel bad.   You've already helped out so much already!  Without it,  there might not have been any OSX support at all! 
February 07, 2013, 02:45:59 PM
(2) Everything I just said in #1 is based on getting no help from anyone else.  If someone else were to make an OSX bundle of Armory for me, and then give me what I need to know to understand how it was made and can rebuild/update it myself... then I can bump it way up in priority.  It's current priority is based on how much else has to be put on hold while I figure it out.  If someone gives me what I need to figure it out in day or two, there's no reason for me not to do it right way.
I've given it a good try a couple times, but pyinstaller barfs on some macholib errors that I haven't been able to sort out and py2app does similarly Sad

When I gave up on that, I made the brew tap.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
February 07, 2013, 08:46:01 AM
May I ask how far away in time is an Armory OSX bundle?

Thanks

There are two main factors to answering that question/request:

(1) While Armory is still a fairly advanced program and Red Emerald has done a fantastic job helping people get it going on OSX, I have put this slightly lower in priority.  Mainly because I know nothing about OSX, and it's currently accessible to those that really want it.  When I finally get Armory's usability up to par, then I will make it a high priority to bring that usability to all platforms (and right now, there are some pretty epic usability improvements in the works).

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
February 07, 2013, 06:26:25 AM
May I ask how far away in time is an Armory OSX bundle?

Thanks
December 28, 2012, 03:30:29 PM
I've added support for the "--devel" flag!  You can use it to easily install the "testing" branch of armory-qt.

I've also setup a thread for my brew tap.  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wysenynjas-homebrew-tap-for-all-your-osx-bitcoin-needs-133097
December 23, 2012, 09:11:39 PM
I've updated the tap again!  It's now using git to checkout v0.86.3-beta and then checks to make sure the git tag is valid.

To update your existing install:
Code:
brew update
brew doctor
brew fetch --deps armory-qt
brew upgrade armory-qt

To install fresh:
Code:
brew update
brew doctor
brew tap WyseNynja/bitcoin
brew fetch --deps wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt
brew install wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt

You will need to have imported etotheipi's key for verifying the tag to work.

RSA key ID 98832223 "Alan C. Reiner (Armory Signing Key) <[email protected]>"

You can skip the tag checking by adding "--skip-verify" "--without-gpg" to the install/upgrade command
December 12, 2012, 04:53:51 PM
Wow, you are amazingly fast!

I can confirm that it works as expects (i.e. great).
Pretty much all it takes is changing the 2 lines in the formula (the download link and the file hash), so it's pretty easy. Glad it worked for you!

Can't we just come up with a DMG file with an installer for all of us who don't like to deal with compilers, etc? Can't we get a mac release that doesn't take so much work to get it up and running?

Is that a crazy request?
That's the end goal.  However it is more work than providing a brew formula.  It's been a pain so far to compile custom c extensions and pyqt into a distributable app.
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
December 12, 2012, 08:09:28 AM
Can't we just come up with a DMG file with an installer for all of us who don't like to deal with compilers, etc? Can't we get a mac release that doesn't take so much work to get it up and running?

Is that a crazy request?
Activity: 547
Decor in numeris
December 12, 2012, 06:19:08 AM
Wow, you are amazingly fast!

I can confirm that it works as expects (i.e. great).

The "brew fetch" command is not really necessary, but I guess that it gives the truly paranoid a chance to check what is being installed.

Thank you very much, indeed!
December 12, 2012, 04:48:56 AM
Red Emerald:

Are you going to release 0.86 in homebrew, too?  Not that it is hard to compile by myself, but your homebrew formula is easier Smiley

Updated! Sorry for the delay.

Code:
brew update
brew doctor
brew fetch --deps armory-qt
brew upgrade armory-qt

Once it's installed, you don't need to prefix armory-qt with "wysenynja/bitcoin/"

A fresh install does tho:
Code:
brew update
brew doctor
brew tap WyseNynja/bitcoin
brew fetch --deps wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt
brew install wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt

Note that case matters for `tap`, but not for the other commands.
Activity: 547
Decor in numeris
December 12, 2012, 03:19:43 AM
Red Emerald:

Are you going to release 0.86 in homebrew, too?  Not that it is hard to compile by myself, but your homebrew formula is easier Smiley

legendary
Core Armory Developer
December 07, 2012, 03:59:41 PM
RE: building the .app bundle:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/contrib/macdeploy/macdeployqtplus
... is python code with lots of useful stuff for building a nice .app (including making a pretty-looking .dmg).
Lots of Qt-specific stuff, too, but it might be a good starting point.

Thanks Gavin, that looks great -- albeit big, and might take me a while to figure out what to do with it.  But anything helps!  Especially if it already includes Qt (but I'll need PyQt, too).

@RedEmerald

I just tried the git tag signing, and it worked flawlessly.  I don't know why I didn't do this before...

Code:
git pull
git tag -v "v0.86-beta"

That should confirm that the tag is signed by the "Armory Signing Key."  About to do the 0.86-beta release, with CoinControl and the double-tx bugfix.

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
December 05, 2012, 09:01:57 PM
RE: building the .app bundle:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/contrib/macdeploy/macdeployqtplus
... is python code with lots of useful stuff for building a nice .app (including making a pretty-looking .dmg).
Lots of Qt-specific stuff, too, but it might be a good starting point.
December 05, 2012, 03:07:22 AM
Red Emerald,

Do fresh OSX users need to install xcode?  That's not in the instructions.

And I wonder if there's a way to avoid having the user manually modify their .bashrc.  I guess a short script could just run all of those commands for them...?  Actually couldn't all of this be bundled into a script?

Sorry I'm being picky, I just see a lot of hurdles for non-techie mac users...
Yes, they need to install Xcode for brew to work.  It is in the instructions.  https://gist.github.com/4200620

brew doctor will tell you to install xcode and the command line tools if you need to.

I've made the bashrc stuff easier to do for the non-technical. Someone with an existing bashrc is probably technical enough to know how to do this on their own, but this should work fine for anyone who already has a bashrc.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
December 05, 2012, 01:19:13 AM
Red Emerald,

Do fresh OSX users need to install xcode?  That's not in the instructions.

And I wonder if there's a way to avoid having the user manually modify their .bashrc.  I guess a short script could just run all of those commands for them...?  Actually couldn't all of this be bundled into a script?

Sorry I'm being picky, I just see a lot of hurdles for non-techie mac users...
legendary
Core Armory Developer
December 04, 2012, 04:40:34 PM
What version of bitcoind?  Was bitcoind doing anything at the time? Was it responsive (to a command like getinfo) while this was happening?

Bitcoind is 0.7.0

nothing, it could have been getting the lastest block, since both were on 210888 and when it went to 210889 that is when the issue started cause on armory in the corner it would go from "Disconnected" to "Connected >" to "Connected (210889 blocks)" and just keep looping until I quit armory and normally, no force quit.

Yes Bitcoind was responsive and it is still running

We were just having a discussion about this on the main Armory thread.  I'm investigating right now.  Unfortunately, the new multi-threaded design doesn't handle certain errors right now, and run off into a loop.  But so far, this >10s call to readBlkFileUpdate is the only operation I've seen trigger this bad loop.  Hopefully I'll figure it out soon.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
December 04, 2012, 04:11:43 PM
What version of bitcoind?  Was bitcoind doing anything at the time? Was it responsive (to a command like getinfo) while this was happening?

Bitcoind is 0.7.0

nothing, it could have been getting the lastest block, since both were on 210888 and when it went to 210889 that is when the issue started cause on armory in the corner it would go from "Disconnected" to "Connected >" to "Connected (210889 blocks)" and just keep looping until I quit armory and normally, no force quit.

Yes Bitcoind was responsive and it is still running
Pages:
Jump to: