Pages:
Author

Topic: Building Armory on OSX - page 8. (Read 32281 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
August 09, 2012, 05:01:11 PM
anyone know if the lion instructions work on mountain lion?
They worked for me on both.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
August 04, 2012, 02:27:07 PM
anyone know if the lion instructions work on mountain lion?
Activity: 619
August 04, 2012, 02:25:36 PM
New and improved instructions for 64-bit Lion!

Thanks Red Emerald.
The changes in the Makefile work also on Snow Leopard with Armory 0.81-alpha.

For those who get this error
Code:
$ python ArmoryQt.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 37, in
    from PyQt4.QtCore import *
ImportError: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/python/PyQt4/QtCore.so, 2): Symbol not found: __cg_TIFFClientOpen
  Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
  Expected in: /usr/local/lib/libTIFF.dylib
 in /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO

Don't use the homebrew version but the one from the system
Code:
sudo rm /usr/local/lib/libtiff.dylib
sudo cp /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Resources/libTIFF.dylib /usr/local/lib/
July 14, 2012, 01:19:07 AM
New and improved instructions for 64-bit Lion!

Code:
Install homebrew packages:
$ brew install python cryptopp swig sip qt pyqt berkeley-db

$ export PATH=`brew --prefix`/share/python:$PATH
$ export CFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
$ export ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
$ export BERKELEYDB_INCDIR=`brew --prefix berkeley-db`/include
$ export BERKELEYDB_LIBDIR=`brew --prefix berkeley-db`/lib

$ pip install twisted bsddb3

$ mkdir ~/src
$ cd ~/src
$ git clone git://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory.git
$ cd BitcoinArmory

Now edit the DEPSDIR and STATICPYTHON in cppForSwig/Makefile

Code:
$ git diff HEAD cppForSwig/Makefile
diff --git a/cppForSwig/Makefile b/cppForSwig/Makefile
index d5b4340..c20b9a1 100755
--- a/cppForSwig/Makefile
+++ b/cppForSwig/Makefile
@@ -7,14 +7,14 @@ LINKER = g++
 OBJS = UniversalTimer.o BinaryData.o FileDataPtr.o BtcUtils.o BlockObj.o BlockUtils.o EncryptionUtils.o libcryptopp.a

-DEPSDIR ?= /usr
+DEPSDIR ?= /usr/local

INCLUDE_OPTS += -Icryptopp -DUSE_CRYPTOPP -D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS
 LIBRARY_OPTS += -lpthread
 SWIG_OPTS    += -c++ -python -classic
 PYVER           += `python -c 'import sys; print str(sys.version_info[0]) + "." + str(sys.version_info[1])'`
 SWIG_INC     += -I"$(DEPSDIR)/include/python$(PYVER)"
-STATICPYTHON +=   "$(DEPSDIR)/lib/libpython$(PYVER).a"
+STATICPYTHON +=   "$(DEPSDIR)/lib/libpython$(PYVER).dylib"

#**************************************************************************

Almost there!
Code:
$ make clean
$ make

$ python ArmoryQt.py
********************************************************************************
Loading Armory Engine:
   Armory Version:       0.82
   PyBtcAddress Version: 1.00
   PyBtcWallet  Version: 1.35
Detected Operating system: Mac/OSX
   User home-directory   : /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support
   Satoshi BTC directory : /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/
   Armory home dir       : /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Armory/
Using settings file: /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Armory/ArmorySettings.txt
Loading wallets...
Number of wallets read in: 4
   Wallet (---------):    "Primary Cold Wallet (Watch)     "    (No Encryption)
   Wallet (---------):    "Foobar                          "    (No Encryption)
   Wallet (---------):    "Satoshi Wallet                  "    (Encrypted)
   Wallet (---------):    "Primary Hot Wallet              "    (Encrypted)
Internet connection is Available:  True
Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind is Available:  True
Loading blockchain
Opening file 1: /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin//blk0001.dat
Opening file 2: /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin//blk0002.dat
Highest blkXXXX.dat file: 2
Attempting to read blockchain from file: /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin//blk0001.dat
/Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin//blk0001.dat is 2000.04 MB
Attempting to read blockchain from file: /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin//blk0002.dat
/Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin//blk0002.dat is 4.13251 MB
Syncing wallets with blockchain...
Syncing wallet:  ---------
Loading blockchain took 123.4 seconds

Since I am using brew's libpython2.7.dylib, we don't need to set PYTHONPATH

Clicking "Filter:" still locks everything up Sad

If you copy these instructions to your site, be careful that the backticks and quotes transfer properly.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
July 09, 2012, 08:00:40 PM
PKG files are installers, just like windows they scripts to install a program. A .dmg should contain an .app file which is all that is need to run the program and that should be moved to your application directory.

You need xcode to get GCC compiler and xcode is developer tools. Brew is a ruby program to get other linux programs to install on mac and run. They are completely different things. I think 32-bit in Mac OSX is phased out, but I am using a snow leopard on a 32bit machine.

I think you could use python to install it but the real way would be to use a pkg script installer.

I really can't wait for an armory build js
July 10, 2012, 01:49:26 PM
Sorry to be a n00b, but I will use this thread for my own education.  I have never touched Mac/OSX machine in my life.   Just now, I finally got a VM setup that looks like it will work.  But I have no idea where to go...

I got git installed, from what looks like a .dmg file, which opened up in to a .pkg file which actually installed it.  Is this how OSX programs are typically packaged?  If I were to eventually create an installer/uninstaller, what would be the best target format for it?
Usually all files are distributed in a .dmg.  Programs that install binaries and such around the system usually come as pkgs.  Standalone applications usually come as .app

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/05/02/mac-101-dmg-files-are-disk-images/
http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/trunk/doc/index.html

How am I typically going to install programs and packages in OSX?  Go to website, download some file, double click?
Most mac applications (that aren't in the App Store) use this workflow: go to website, download some file, double click, drag application into application folder.

Is there any command-line utility like apt-get for retrieving dependencies?

What is the difference between xcode and brew?  To me, it sounds like to two different flavors of build systems.  I was surprised to find see a lack of google hits for "xcode vs brew", so I suspect they are not simply flavors of the same thing.
brew is kind of like apt or yum.  Xcode is an editor and some command line tools.  Brew uses Xcode's command line tools for compiling.  It isn't a one vs the other kind of thing.

Btw, I am running Lion, and plan to compile 64-bit binaries.  I was told that 32-bit OSX is not common at all, is that true?  Can I avoid dealing with 32-bit?  It sounds like what code I compile may not work on 10.4 (Tiger) because of Qt libraries...
I don't have too much experience compiling distributable binaries.  10.6 and later include a 64-bit kernel.  10.7 comes with Python 2.7.  I'd be fine with just 64 bit, but I recall someone else having PPC.  Although that is probably too old to deal with binaries for.  Older systems can compile themselves (once those instructions get figured out).  I'd recommend starting with just one binary.  Then you can worry about building for multiple systems.

Do you think it's possible that Armory could be distributed as a python script like it is in Linux?  It is "installed" by simply copying all the necessary code and binaries into /usr/share/armory, and then the shortcut is just "python /usr/share/armory/ArmoryQt.py".  I say this because I expect issues with creating a real executable out of it (like with the Mac-equiv of py2exe).

I haven't even tried the existing compilation instructions yet.  I'm currently exploring the filesystem structure and how programs work.   I just want to get some base information down about how I'm going to operating in OSX and compiling stuff.
I'm sure you could get a script to work, but you should look into py2app. Pretty much all it does is compile everything into one folder and then make a shortcut.  I got it half working a couple versions ago.  I'll try again now that you compile against python differently.  You should also look at platypus.

It's not very common for apps to stick files in /usr on a Mac.  Applications usually go into /Applications.

http://sveinbjorn.org/platypus
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
July 09, 2012, 07:49:49 PM
Sorry to be a n00b, but I will use this thread for my own education.  I have never touched Mac/OSX machine in my life.   Just now, I finally got a VM setup that looks like it will work.  But I have no idea where to go...

I got git installed, from what looks like a .dmg file, which opened up in to a .pkg file which actually installed it.  Is this how OSX programs are typically packaged?  If I were to eventually create an installer/uninstaller, what would be the best target format for it?

How am I typically going to install programs and packages in OSX?  Go to website, download some file, double click?  Is there any command-line utility like apt-get for retrieving dependencies?

What is the difference between xcode and brew?  To me, it sounds like to two different flavors of build systems.  I was surprised to find see a lack of google hits for "xcode vs brew", so I suspect they are not simply flavors of the same thing.

Btw, I am running Lion, and plan to compile 64-bit binaries.  I was told that 32-bit OSX is not common at all, is that true?  Can I avoid dealing with 32-bit?  It sounds like what code I compile may not work on 10.4 (Tiger) because of Qt libraries...

Do you think it's possible that Armory could be distributed as a python script like it is in Linux?  It is "installed" by simply copying all the necessary code and binaries into /usr/share/armory, and then the shortcut is just "python /usr/share/armory/ArmoryQt.py".  I say this because I expect issues with creating a real executable out of it (like with the Mac-equiv of py2exe).

I haven't even tried the existing compilation instructions yet.  I'm currently exploring the filesystem structure and how programs work.   I just want to get some base information down about how I'm going to operating in OSX and compiling stuff.
July 06, 2012, 02:15:09 AM
I'm compiling .82 in Lion now.

The Makefile changes made my tweaks even easier.  I just changed 2 lines and no more need for symlinks.

I use brew to install all of the dependencies (including python) and then this.  I can't get it to compile against brew's libpython2.7.a, but if you export PYTHONPATH, it can use brew's pyqt and such.

Code:
$ git diff HEAD
index d5b4340..ad646bf 100755
@@ -7,14 +7,14 @@ LINKER = g++
 OBJS = UniversalTimer.o BinaryData.o FileDataPtr.o BtcUtils.o BlockObj.o BlockUtils.o EncryptionUtils.o libcryptopp.a

-DEPSDIR ?= /usr
+DEPSDIR ?= /usr/local

PYVER           += `python -c 'import sys; print str(sys.version_info[0]) + "." + str(sys.version_info[1])'`
 SWIG_INC     += -I"$(DEPSDIR)/include/python$(PYVER)"
-STATICPYTHON +=   "$(DEPSDIR)/lib/libpython$(PYVER).a"
+STATICPYTHON +=   "/usr/lib/python2.7/config/libpython2.7.a"

#**************************************************************************
June 19, 2012, 08:17:06 PM
I was able to compile in Lion.  It's a weird mix of system and brew though and I'm not sure I like it.  I don't understand what exactly is going on, but it compiles.

I'll have updated instructions up sometime soon.

EDIT: It seems like this would be a breeze if you didn't use bsddb.  It's been depreciated in python 2.6 and completely removed in 3.0.  I'm not sure if pybsddb even supports the newest version of berkeley-db4 (and berkeley-db5 has been out a while).

Looks like I had an older version in my pip cache.  I downloaded http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/b/bsddb3/bsddb3-5.3.0.tar.gz#md5=d5aa4f293c4ea755e84383537f74be82 and installed that easily.

Code:
Install homebrew packages:
$ brew install python cryptopp swig sip qt pyqt berkeley-db

$ export PATH=`brew --prefix`/share/python:$PATH
$ export CFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
$ export ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
$ export BERKELEYDB_INCDIR=`brew --prefix berkeley-db`/include
$ export BERKELEYDB_LIBDIR=`brew --prefix berkeley-db`/lib
$ export PYTHONPATH=`brew –prefix`/lib/python2.7/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH

$ pip install twisted bsddb3

$ mkdir ~/src
$ cd ~/src
$ git clone git://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory.git

$ cd BitcoinArmory/cppForSwig

This is where it gets weird.  I want this to work:

Code:
$ ln -s `brew --prefix`/lib/python2.7/config/libpython2.7.a .

But that fails with:

Code:
g++ -shared -lpthread  UniversalTimer.o BinaryData.o FileDataPtr.o BtcUtils.o BlockObj.o BlockUtils.o EncryptionUtils.o libcryptopp.a libpython2.7.a CppBlockUtils_wrap.o -o ../_CppBlockUtils.so
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
  "_environ", referenced from:
      _initposix in libpython2.7.a(posixmodule.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [swig] Error 1

So instead I'm building against the system python v2.7.1 (even though all the modules and such are brew's v2.7.3)

Code:
$ ln -s /usr/lib/python2.7/config/libpython2.7.a .

I also had to edit the makefile

Code:
vim Makefile
================================================================================
index de3bb1d..716a039 100755
@@ -8,10 +8,10 @@ OBJS = UniversalTimer.o BinaryData.o FileDataPtr.o BtcUtils.o BlockObj.o BlockUt

-SWIG_INC     += -I/usr/include/python2.7
+SWIG_INC     += -I/usr/local/include/python2.7

-ifneq (exists, $(shell [ -d /usr/include/python2.7 ]  && echo exists ))
+ifneq (exists, $(shell [ -d /usr/local/include/python2.7 ]  && echo exists ))
    SWIG_INC     = -I/usr/include/python2.6
    LIBRARY_OPTS = -lpthread
    ifneq (exists, $(shell [ -d /usr/include/python2.6 ]  && echo exists ))
@@ -26,7 +26,7 @@ all :
        make BlockUtilsTest.out

swig : $(OBJS) CppBlockUtils_wrap.o
-       g++ -shared $(LIBRARY_OPTS) $(OBJS) libpython2.6.a CppBlockUtils_wrap.o -o ../_CppBlockUtils.so
+       g++ -shared $(LIBRARY_OPTS) $(OBJS) libpython2.7.a CppBlockUtils_wrap.o -o ../_CppBlockUtils.so
        pyrcc4 -o ../qrc_img_resources.py ../imgList.xml

BlockUtilsTest.out : $(OBJS) BlockUtilsTest.cpp
================================================================================

And then its just a little bit of waiting
Code:
make clean
make swig

cd ..
/usr/bin/python ArmoryQt.py

Note that is "/usr/bin/python" not brew's python.  I don't get it, but it works because of PYTHONPATH (I think)

Loading blockchain took 83.3 seconds

EDIT: I just clicked "Filter:" and everything locked up Sad
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
May 16, 2012, 09:58:12 PM
Well, I tried exporting CFLAGS and ARCHFLAGS, but the result was the same o.0. Oh well.
May 16, 2012, 07:57:29 PM
Ugh.  You just reminded me that I didn't totally understand endianness when I started the python library, and I most definitely did it wrong.  If there is a real demand for mixed-endian-arch support, I can do it.  But it may take a few days.  Up until now, I have not considered it a worthy investment of my time, because it is so fragile, something is sure to break even after I think I've fixed all of it...

Haha that's alright. I think I got at least electrum to work. You'd be better spending your time helping that other guy build his C implementation and do it right Tongue. I've had enough experience with endianness myself to know how inside out and backwards it makes everything, and trying to hack a fix on top of a tangled broken base implementation would be a lot of work and a lot of things that could break, and a lot more work to fix.

I'm not going to ask anyone to do something so impossibly unmaintainable. After having to compile an entire system from scratch I've gained an appreciation for having to deal with nonsense like this Tongue. Honestly I don't know how binary distros manage to do it at all.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
May 16, 2012, 07:02:31 PM
Ugh.  You just reminded me that I didn't totally understand endianness when I started the python library, and I most definitely did it wrong.  If there is a real demand for mixed-endian-arch support, I can do it.  But it may take a few days.  Up until now, I have not considered it a worthy investment of my time, because it is so fragile, something is sure to break even after I think I've fixed all of it...
May 16, 2012, 06:58:06 PM
I think there was something in the original OSX build instructions that addressed the -native and extdef stuff.  I don't remember exactly, but it's linked from the "Building Armory from Source" page.

As for libcryptopp:  I got tired of dealing with library version/compatibility issues so I switched to static compiling crypto++ right into Armory.  I needed the source code in the project anyway for Windows/MSVS, so I just did it for all versions.  Therefore, the version on your system should not matter.  But also there should be no problem compiling it, unless the crypto++ library was never compiled or tested on your architecture.

I have no idea about the "g++: language ar not recognized".  Sad

Yeah I saw the stuff about -arch in the OSX instructions. I think -arch ppc does work, but I'm not sure exactly what it does or how it relates to cflags. I'll try that and see what happens.

However, something tells me it won't work properly anyway, after reading up on the endianness disaster in the bitcoind code. Bitcoind compiles fine, but that doesn't mean it will actually work properly, and something tells me it most definitely won't. >_<
legendary
Core Armory Developer
May 16, 2012, 06:29:39 PM
I think there was something in the original OSX build instructions that addressed the -native and extdef stuff.  I don't remember exactly, but it's linked from the "Building Armory from Source" page.

As for libcryptopp:  I got tired of dealing with library version/compatibility issues so I switched to static compiling crypto++ right into Armory.  I needed the source code in the project anyway for Windows/MSVS, so I just did it for all versions.  Therefore, the version on your system should not matter.  But also there should be no problem compiling it, unless the crypto++ library was never compiled or tested on your architecture.

I have no idea about the "g++: language ar not recognized".  Sad
May 16, 2012, 06:20:25 PM
Well, I got bitcoind and all the qt stuff to compile no problem, although I can't yet attest to whether it works or not.

However, I'm unable to get armory to compile. Whether I use "make swig" or "make -e swig", first I get lots of

Code:
g++ -DNDEBUG -O -g0 -native -template=no%extdef  -c ***.cpp
g++: unrecognized option '-native'
g++: unrecognized option '-template=no%extdef'

Then I get a wall of

Code:
g++: language ar not recognized

then

Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/4.5.3/../../../../lib/crt1.o:(.rodata+0x4): undefined reference to `main'
trdlocal.o: In function `CryptoPP::ThreadLocalStorage::GetValue() const':
trdlocal.cpp:(.text+0x2f4): undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
trdlocal.o: In function `CryptoPP::ThreadLocalStorage::SetValue(void*)':
trdlocal.cpp:(.text+0x324): undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
trdlocal.o: In function `CryptoPP::ThreadLocalStorage::~ThreadLocalStorage()':
trdlocal.cpp:(.text+0x430): undefined reference to `pthread_key_delete'
trdlocal.o: In function `CryptoPP::ThreadLocalStorage::ThreadLocalStorage()':
trdlocal.cpp:(.text+0x53c): undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [libcryptopp.a] Error 1
mv: cannot stat 'libcryptopp.a': No such file or directory
make: *** [libcryptopp.a] Error 1

However...

Code:
localhost cppForSwig # locate libcryptopp
/usr/lib/libcryptopp.a
/usr/lib/libcryptopp.so
/usr/lib/libcryptopp.so.0
/usr/lib/libcryptopp.so.0.0.0

At least some of that stuff is probably arch flag inconsistencies (gcc for ppc exclusively uses -mcpu= and not -march=, although I would have expected make -e to fix that since cflags are set globally in gentoo) but the cryptopp thing makes no sense. I have both crypto++ and pycryptopp installed. The other stuff I have no clue about.
May 15, 2012, 06:53:56 PM
Bitcoind doesn't run on ppc-- and minimum supported osx version is 10.5.

And Armory depends on bitcoind, right?

Bitcoind happens to be on the gentoo portage repository, so I checked out its dependencies to see if there was anything x86 specific. I don't see anything, so unless you guys decided to rice out your code with x86 assembler then I should be able to compile it just fine.

Does that mean that if I were to cannabilize the bitcoind code to integrate networking into Armory, that I'll never get it working on ppc?  Or does it not work, for other reasons?

Btw, have you tried Armory yet? 

P.S. -- I still don't have a working OSX VM or actual OSX-running hardware.  So I still have not been able to flesh out the Mac build/distribution process.  Sorry Mac'ers Sad

I'll let you know. I just got my system to the point where everything is working and it does what I need it to Tongue. I think your frontend is exclusively QT, so I'll have to emerge PyQt4 and bitcoind before I can test. I'll let you know what happens.

Some other stuffs:

You can probably get an iBook or older ppc mac for cheap (if you can find one). PPC macs can't run anything greater than leopard (OSX10.5) but any program coded for Tiger or newer should run on any modern mac. New versions of the OS (in my experience) have always supported older code, but they've changed a few important things over the years so that newer code won't run on older versions. Unless you want compiz effects in armory, that shouldn't really be an issue, though Tongue. The only downside is that Tiger doesn't support garbage collection, but if you're using python to do most of your work it shouldn't be a problem. The main problem is hooking up python to the cocoa gui, which I'm pretty clueless about as I'm not a big fan of python Tongue. You'll probably want leopard since it natively supports cross development, and is the last OS to support both PPC and x86.

One more thing, how are you trying to install OSX in a VM? Apple sold their soul to microsoft in exchange for microsoft continuing to make office for mac, so Apple puts DRM controls on their OS to force it not to install on non-apple hardware (including VMs). There are some hacks around it, but I'm not up to date on any of that.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
May 15, 2012, 09:13:18 AM

Does that mean that if I were to cannabilize the bitcoind code to integrate networking into Armory, that I'll never get it working on ppc?  Or does it not work, for other reasons?

Btw, have you tried Armory yet? 

P.S. -- I still don't have a working OSX VM or actual OSX-running hardware.  So I still have not been able to flesh out the Mac build/distribution process.  Sorry Mac'ers Sad
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
May 15, 2012, 08:42:56 AM

May 13, 2012, 09:10:44 PM
Well, now that I'm on gentoo and have a real web browser I can answer that question:

Yes there are multiple versions to support. Basically it's split up between x86 and ppc, with ppc being restricted to Tiger/Leopard (which is fscking retarded considering that apple moved to LLVM....) while x86 will typically be running Snow Leopard or Lion.

The main differences are in the quartz/cocoa gui implementation, although it depends on what frontend you use. Qt4 will not build on older versions of OSX (ie anything pre-Snow Leopard) as I've found out the hard way, so if you actually intend to support them at all you'll have to use something else. I don't know how well gtk builds on older OSX (never tried), I just gave up and moved to gentoo Tongue.

I don't know that there are python bindings for cocoa, but if so it's as easy/difficult as any other gui kit, except they break backwards compatibility without having any explicit versions of the API.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
May 01, 2012, 05:08:58 PM
You could install Mac osx on a virtual machine.

I managed to install Snow leopard on virtualbox, using iaktos. It can't work on any hardware though, PM for the details if you want Smiley

I have tried this no less than 3 times, and I've failed every time.  It never works for me.  If you think you can help, please email me:  [email protected].  But so far, I'm convinced that real hardware is the way to go...

And on that note:  do I only need one Mac VM?  Are there multiple versions of Mac/OSX to support?
Pages:
Jump to: