Pages:
Author

Topic: Building Cheap Miners : My "Secret" - page 46. (Read 60219 times)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10
Do or do not.
November 08, 2017, 10:57:30 AM
Thats awesome, I'll look into the  Dell T5500.
Activity: 714
Merit: 512
November 08, 2017, 10:50:54 AM
In other news... I built a new PC to use @ home and brought my old home PC in to be a miner. It crashes with 4x 1060 cards installed and it has a pretty recent motherboard (MSI Z170A Gaming M3) -- when the top PCI-E x1 slot is used the system will lock after a few hours so I have to settle with 3 cards in that one... this makes the 2nd "consumer grade" motherboard I've had with a slot issue.

Again making my case (to myself anyway) to stick to these Workstation grade HP Z400 machines which have given me ZERO issues.
November 08, 2017, 10:44:48 AM
Thanks so much for all the pictures and tips.  I happen to have a z400 at work I can salvage and this will save me a lot of guesswork!

Would it be at all possible to run just two 1080ti gpus installed inside the case on the mb (and 1 external)?

Two 1080Ti will not fit inside. Only short cards (no longer than the Gigabyte 1060 from my pics) will fit in the bottom slot.

Also the cards would essentially be touching one another due to thickness (if they would fit at all).

In summary -- only ONE big card can be used internally. Even two small cards isn't a terribly good idea for cooling purposes.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
November 07, 2017, 11:38:38 PM
Thanks so much for all the pictures and tips.  I happen to have a z400 at work I can salvage and this will save me a lot of guesswork!

Would it be at all possible to run just two 1080ti gpus installed inside the case on the mb (and 1 external)?
Activity: 13
November 02, 2017, 01:43:25 PM
have you ever had an issues with your z400s not booting with risers connected to the pcie slots? troubleshooting my first z400 rig at the moment and cant get it to boot windows with more than 1 card connected

I have not had this problem -- when you say "boot" what do you mean exactly ? Is it going to POST at all ? Or no display ?

wow, funny enough turned out too be a bad riser connector lower piece, idk if not seating or shorting or somnething
appreciate the reply

running into another issue now though, cant get them to recognize my p106's lol

did you have to do any bios setting changes to get everything to be recognized?

thanks sundownz

Are you using Windows for yours ?

Generally it's just plug in & go on the ones I have configured via Windows. I only have "standard" graphics cards, though, no mining cards.
Hmm...gotcha thanks for the info maybe I got a lemon
Testing out windows 10 on this rig.

They just don't seem to be recognizing then at all

Will test with smos today

Thanks for creating this thread and giving me the idea of old.workstatioms

November 02, 2017, 09:46:35 AM
have you ever had an issues with your z400s not booting with risers connected to the pcie slots? troubleshooting my first z400 rig at the moment and cant get it to boot windows with more than 1 card connected

I have not had this problem -- when you say "boot" what do you mean exactly ? Is it going to POST at all ? Or no display ?

wow, funny enough turned out too be a bad riser connector lower piece, idk if not seating or shorting or somnething
appreciate the reply

thanks sundownz

Are you using Windows for yours ?

Generally it's just plug in & go on the ones I have configured via Windows. I only have "standard" graphics cards, though, no mining cards.
November 02, 2017, 06:40:26 AM

appreciate the reply

thanks sundownz
November 01, 2017, 09:13:50 PM
So could you please share us how much in total you spent, what you are mining, and how about your hashrate? Thanks.

I have about $60k in total equipment.

Right now I am doing ZPOOL mining alts for BTC using NEMOS profit switcher -- so stating a static hash-rate is a bit hard.

I have previous mined XVG as well as mined on Nicehash.

I mine Intense Coin on my CPUs.

Are you making a profit, and how much profit?

It will take several more months to profit past equipment costs -- but I am confident it will do so. I am also *holding* a bunch of my mined coins -- so that holds the potential for large profit compared to simply looking @ daily / monthly figures.

I have made over 1/2 of my equipment cost back so far.

And, of course, it has taken me many months to build this all by myself in my spare time and with my personal funds.

Looks very nice, what's your electricity cost $/kwh?

It's about 7 cents / KWH at the location with my miners.
November 01, 2017, 09:12:35 PM

October 31, 2017, 09:01:36 PM
Activity: 6
October 30, 2017, 12:16:00 AM
So could you please share us how much in total you spent, what you are mining, and how about your hashrate? Thanks.

Right now I am doing ZPOOL mining alts for BTC using NEMOS profit switcher -- so stating a static hash-rate is a bit hard.

It will take several more months to profit past equipment costs -- but I am confident it will do so. I am also *holding* a bunch of my mined coins -- so that holds the potential for large profit compared to simply looking @ daily / monthly figures.

And, of course, it has taken me many months to build this all by myself in my spare time and with my personal funds.

Looks very nice, what's your electricity cost $/kwh?
Activity: 3
October 27, 2017, 02:29:16 PM
Thank you sundowns for sharing your experiences your rigs looks good and organized
October 26, 2017, 07:25:52 AM

Activity: 61
Merit: 10
October 25, 2017, 04:42:25 PM

This is my main mining area.

Third rack isn't done so I have not neatened up the Ethernet cables. I also have the box setup on the wall across the opening for my 4th rack once I finish the 3rd one. Just need to wire outlets to it =)

I do also have machines around my home and the office mining -- so far total of 48 machines mining. All the dedicated miners have 3-4 cards & the home/office have 1-2 cards each.

Thanks for sharing. It looks marvelous.
Activity: 190
Merit: 100
October 25, 2017, 03:22:21 PM

Third rack isn't done so I have not neatened up the Ethernet cables. I also have the box setup on the wall across the opening for my 4th rack once I finish the 3rd one. Just need to wire outlets to it =)

I do also have machines around my home and the office mining -- so far total of 48 machines mining. All the dedicated miners have 3-4 cards & the home/office have 1-2 cards each.

For one of my rigs I used HP XW4600. Very similar to z400 inside, very cheap. It's still running with 3 cards: 2x1070 inside, a mini next to a blower style, and a 1080ti hanging on the side of the standing tower.
kept the 475W psu to power the board and added 875WPSU for the cards.
October 25, 2017, 02:49:46 PM

October 25, 2017, 02:28:15 PM

Activity: 11
October 25, 2017, 01:12:28 PM
excellent thread. Worth to read.

HP business desktop are the best in business.
Activity: 58
October 25, 2017, 12:14:07 PM
October 25, 2017, 12:01:42 PM
Hope that helps guys!
Pages:
Jump to: