Pages:
Author

Topic: Building Cheap Miners : My "Secret" - page 49. (Read 60219 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 512
July 13, 2017, 03:55:23 PM
little word of advice in regards to the T5500 combined with GTX1080ti's... i noticed a HUGE drop in hashpower between the T5500 i bought with 12GB of memory $188 version and the one with 4GB only the cheaper $163 one on like half my algo's i mine... so i looked into it... ccminer was using 100% of the memory on the 4GB rig on some algo's while only using like 40% on the other.. i moved 4GB over and it fixed the issue i was having.. gained back the missing hashrate drop...

Indeed. I have upgraded all of mine to minimum 6 GB of RAM.
Activity: 284
Merit: 102
July 05, 2017, 09:22:58 PM
Went back to purchase another Z400 @ Newegg and they are sold out  Undecided
Activity: 322
Merit: 233
July 01, 2017, 09:49:43 PM
little word of advice in regards to the T5500 combined with GTX1080ti's... i noticed a HUGE drop in hashpower between the T5500 i bought with 12GB of memory $188 version and the one with 4GB only the cheaper $163 one on like half my algo's i mine... so i looked into it... ccminer was using 100% of the memory on the 4GB rig on some algo's while only using like 40% on the other.. i moved 4GB over and it fixed the issue i was having.. gained back the missing hashrate drop...
Activity: 284
Merit: 102
July 01, 2017, 09:18:31 PM
Just wanted to stop in and thank OP.  I stumbled upon this thread, purchased a Z400 from newegg, it came a few days later and was pretty much plug and play.  I have 4 XFX RX 570's running with this box, with little effort.
June 30, 2017, 05:59:30 PM
Good stuff man, i wish i had the space and POWER to run more rigs.. i currently have 18 x 1080ti's running 4 per card rig mostly... i just cant seem to find any type of warehouse space worth the price to rent and the few i have found they require me to keep the roll down doors shut, which makes it a cooling nightmare....

Indeed. Luckily I already have a huge warehouse for my business & it has quite a bit of electrical capacity available -- just had to run wires for new outlets.
June 30, 2017, 04:10:50 PM
Good stuff man, i wish i had the space and POWER to run more rigs.. i currently have 18 x 1080ti's running 4 per card rig mostly... i just cant seem to find any type of warehouse space worth the price to rent and the few i have found they require me to keep the roll down doors shut, which makes it a cooling nightmare....
Activity: 448
Merit: 107
June 29, 2017, 03:47:40 PM
@sundownz Thank you for answering me. You have a mining factory Cheesy Good luck for future
June 29, 2017, 03:40:36 PM
So far two days in & the Dell T5500 is totally stable setup as pictured above.

Hello thanks for sharing your secret. What are you mining and what do u get hashrates? Is it same with a normal Rig or lower than it? "Bcoz of DDR3 system"

My hash-rates are the same as what I see on the forums from others with similar hardware & mods (I have not BIOS modded any of my cards at this time). They are also on par with all of my "home built" systems that are equally equipped.

I actually shared my whole setup the other day -- I will copy that below.

----------

Once I fill both racks will have 35 machines... I have 11 other computers that are being used daily around my home & my office (almost all of which are machines I built in 2013 when I first did mining that I have simply updated the GPUs).

Of the 24 on the racks I will have:

6x Fully "Home Built" Computers
15x HP Z400 Refurbished Workstations
3x Dell T5500 Refurbished Workstations

* First rack pretty much done. I will be neatening the power cords on the back side soon.

* Second rack under construction... I have all the GPUs -- just waiting on other parts to come in.

* Current Results on Nice Hash (from yesterday).

In total this is what I will be running when all 35 machines are going :

Radeon RX480/580 : 27
Radeon 7970 : 1
Radeon 7850 : 2
Radeon RX560 : 4
Geforce 1060 : 22
Geforce 1070 : 13
Geforce 1080 : 27

TOTAL = 96 GPUs

I have a few other cards that I need to make homes for... 8x Radeon RX560, 2x Radeon 7950, 2x Geforce 1070, 1x Geforce 750 Ti, 1x Radeon R9 270X, and one more Geforce 1080.

So once I figure all that out a total of 111 GPUs.

I may go ahead & set up a third rack for all of these cards.
Activity: 448
Merit: 107
June 29, 2017, 02:43:49 PM

Hello thanks for sharing your secret. What are you mining and what do u get hashrates? Is it same with a normal Rig or lower than it? "Bcoz of DDR3 system"
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
June 29, 2017, 01:40:52 PM
Here is the final setup... each Riser is powered from a different "string" of wires from the power supply.

I am using both factory 6-pin plugs to two GPUs.

Then I am using the 8-pin CPU plug for the other two GPUs.

http://sundownaudio.com/BITCOIN%20PICS/0627171315_resized.jpg

Just check from time to time the heat in those connections.
I tend to avoid extra conversion cables in my rigs.

June 29, 2017, 12:28:10 PM
few days ago i had a sata power connector from the T5500 looked deformed and extremely hot on a gpu that kept dropping out... i have since soldered the wires directly to the riser pins using some 4 wire cable i purchased from local homedepot....
June 29, 2017, 09:04:50 AM

June 27, 2017, 01:43:36 PM
Here is the final setup... each Riser is powered from a different "string" of wires from the power supply.

I am using both factory 6-pin plugs to two GPUs.

Then I am using the 8-pin CPU plug for the other two GPUs.

June 27, 2017, 11:49:05 AM
Well some bad news.

The 4th PCI-E slot on the board appears to have failed during benchmarking on Nicehash (I walked off & it had rebooted when I came back).

Any card plugged into that slot is no longer recognized.

Looks like this will be a 3-card machine!

I had this happen to me on my first 4 card machine (NON-t5500 build), it was the power to the riser was to low.. the channel all the risers were plugged into on the psu was maxed out dropping to low when everything powered up..... i commented about it on this forum site and bits be talking told me you can only power 2 risers max per sata power cable, anything more than that is a 50/50 chance.... so i moved 2 per cable and they all 4 were recognized.. it all came down to lack of power at the riser..

I will try moving power plugs around, thanks =) Also I think I will wait until my PIC-E to 8-PIN CPU plug comes in so I am not putting so much load on the SATA plugs.

You were correct Storx.

My adapted came in FINALLY & I was able to switch the load over to the 8-PIN CPU plug and the 4th GPU works again.

So I will have three of these T5500s in my farm as of now.

If thinking pick back up in the mining world I'll add more since I got enough connectors for more.
June 23, 2017, 01:37:51 PM
Well T5500 Rig 1 lasted a whole 2 weeks nearly mining lol... woke up today to a dead rig when checking on the status... went out restarted it, booted up with a 1 and 4 code flashing on the front panel... i let it run while going to do an errand, came back home to it dead again with same code... called newegg they are RMAing it... thankfully i have my spare coming on Saturday, i had this odd feeling that i should keep one on standbye  a few days ago.. so i ordered one of the 180 versions with the newer cpu and more memory... was only a few bucks more... gonna keep restarting this thing over and over tell i get the spare in tomorrow in the mail...

T5500 rig 2 and 3 are still going strong... that first one was the one that was dog slow from the start... knew something was wrong when i got the other 2 in and they were worlds faster than the first one..
Activity: 190
Merit: 100
June 20, 2017, 06:54:37 AM
Well some bad news.

The 4th PCI-E slot on the board appears to have failed during benchmarking on Nicehash (I walked off & it had rebooted when I came back).

I'm surprised it did run at all... you expect a bit too much from the sata connectors :-D
You probably burned the riser (witch I did with a rx 470 on my t5500).

My 8 pin to Pcie PEG arrived yesterday, I tested them right away with a R9 290x.... they give enough power for ETH, but  dual mining it rebooted after pushing dcri to 28.

Although, I power 2x480 dual mining without problems out of the same connector it's running for >12h now.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
June 19, 2017, 01:07:48 PM
Looking at the spec sheet ( http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/dell_precision_t5500_specsheet.pdf ) I read:  two PCIe x16 Gen 2 graphics slots up to 150W each.
Considering that GTX 1060 is rated @120W I was wondering if I could connect two GTX1060 straight into their slots without using additional power connectors that would be available for additional cards (a third one could be connected to the first PCIe slot with any riser; a second one could be connected to the PCIe slot between the two GPU slots if I could find a very very flat riser cable).

no matter how much a pcie slot can deliver if a card has a PEG connector it will need to be plugged in. the way cards are designed it powers different parts of the card with the pcie and peg connector.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
June 19, 2017, 12:03:20 PM
Ciao!
This my very first message on this board and I'm a noob in mining but I'm quite used to computer hardware and software.

At my office we have a Dell Precision T7500 that had a couple of Tesla M2050 and as soon as I thought about using 4 to 5 years old workstation to build a mining rig I found this thread.
I read it from the beginning three times and then I decided to order my Dell Precision T5500 this morning from an ebay seller in Germany (I am in Italy).

Looking at the spec sheet ( http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/dell_precision_t5500_specsheet.pdf ) I read:  two PCIe x16 Gen 2 graphics slots up to 150W each.
Considering that GTX 1060 is rated @120W I was wondering if I could connect two GTX1060 straight into their slots without using additional power connectors that would be available for additional cards (a third one could be connected to the first PCIe slot with any riser; a second one could be connected to the PCIe slot between the two GPU slots if I could find a very very flat riser cable).

Will I bake everything with this approach?

Thanks,
Roberto
June 16, 2017, 01:59:36 PM
Well some bad news.

I had this happen to me on my first 4 card machine (NON-t5500 build), it was the power to the riser was to low.. the channel all the risers were plugged into on the psu was maxed out dropping to low when everything powered up..... i commented about it on this forum site and bits be talking told me you can only power 2 risers max per sata power cable, anything more than that is a 50/50 chance.... so i moved 2 per cable and they all 4 were recognized.. it all came down to lack of power at the riser..

I will try moving power plugs around, thanks =) Also I think I will wait until my PIC-E to 8-PIN CPU plug comes in so I am not putting so much load on the SATA plugs.
June 16, 2017, 01:54:09 PM
Well some bad news.

Pages:
Jump to: