Pages:
Author

Topic: Building headless Bitcoin and Bitcoin-qt on Windows - page 4. (Read 419319 times)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0
I figured out my confusion after some research

Apparently code block uses it's project files in lieu of make files, but there are ways to use make files when compiling in code blocks, go it.

My confusion was when I've compiled stuff using codeblocks I never needed a makefile, but now I see why. I just got my hands on VS12 so eventually I'll have to learn how to use that.

Apologize, I havn't done C++ in 10 years since college and back in those days I used a borland compiler on a unix server and never did anything that complex.

Right now I'm re-learning everything and getting a crash course in Programming, Cryptography and Bitcoin source code. Although I have learned a lot in a short period of time although this project will take awhile but my current goal is to successfully compile Litecoin so I can see how it's done, then understand the genesis block code which I conceptually am starting to get now it's just a matter of seeing how it translates in code.

(spent the weekend reading on the history and concept of proof of work, etc.)

Can you possibly list the courses you have taken and in what order, also if a course requires any prereq? could be helpful to new entrants like me and others.
T
Ken
Activity: 994
Merit: 500
Yeah, bash for windows didn't work for me.

To cross compile, you need to use the depends system.

Bash has worked for me to create the daemon but have not been able to build the qt as of yet. but each time i reset bash to try and fresh install qt i get different error for qt so seems to be more of a problem with bash for me atleast.

trying something different with bash

legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

I'm able to build Linux executables just fine using Bash for Windows but, I can't seem to figure out how to build executables that can run on Windows.

I'm not sure what those errors above mean but, I had a lot of trouble running any script until I realized the issue was related to extra CR (or LF) characters added by Windows to all these files that I obtained using Git for Windows.  To solve this, I deleted the project that I cloned using Windows and used Git on the Bash environment itself to obtain a fresh copy of the bitcoin 0.13 project.

Those errors are from trying to follow the following instructions: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/build-windows.md
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
Yeah, bash for windows didn't work for me.

To cross compile, you need to use the depends system.
Activity: 329
Merit: 250
I'm running into similar issues, not being able to build on bash on Windows for Windows. Initially, there seemed to be filename length issues, so I started using C:\a as the base directory. Even after doing that, I get the following errors:

In the depends folder, the first run of "make HOST=x86_64-w64-mingw32 -j4" ends with:

Code:
config.status: executing libtool commands
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/c/a/bitcoin/depends/work/build/x86_64-w64-mingw32/native_protobuf/2.6.1-e228208c78f'
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/c/a/bitcoin/depends/work/build/x86_64-w64-mingw32/native_protobuf/2.6.1-e228208c78f'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/c/a/bitcoin/depends/work/build/x86_64-w64-mingw32/native_protobuf/2.6.1-e228208c78f'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/c/a/bitcoin/depends/work/build/x86_64-w64-mingw32/native_protobuf/2.6.1-e228208c78f/src'
make: *** [/mnt/c/a/bitcoin/depends/work/build/x86_64-w64-mingw32/native_protobuf/2.6.1-e228208c78f/./.stamp_built] Error 2

Running "make HOST=x86_64-w64-mingw32 -j4" a second time ends with:

Code:
rm: cannot remove ‘/mnt/c/a/bitcoin/depends/work/build/x86_64-w64-mingw32/boost/1_59_0-b0bbbf17cd7/b2’: Input/output error
make: *** [/mnt/c/a/bitcoin/depends/work/staging/x86_64-w64-mingw32/boost/1_59_0-b0bbbf17cd7/.stamp_staged] Error 1

I'm able to build Linux executables just fine using Bash for Windows but, I can't seem to figure out how to build executables that can run on Windows.

I'm not sure what those errors above mean but, I had a lot of trouble running any script until I realized the issue was related to extra CR (or LF) characters added by Windows to all these files that I obtained using Git for Windows.  To solve this, I deleted the project and used Git on the Bash environment itself to obtain a fresh copy of the bitcoin 0.13 project.
legendary
I'm running into similar issues, not being able to build on bash on Windows for Windows. Initially, there seemed to be filename length issues, so I started using C:\a as the base directory. Even after doing that, I get the following errors:

In the depends folder, the first run of "make HOST=x86_64-w64-mingw32 -j4" ends with:

Code:
config.status: executing libtool commands
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/c/a/bitcoin/depends/work/build/x86_64-w64-mingw32/native_protobuf/2.6.1-e228208c78f'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/c/a/bitcoin/depends/work/build/x86_64-w64-mingw32/native_protobuf/2.6.1-e228208c78f/src'
make: *** [/mnt/c/a/bitcoin/depends/work/build/x86_64-w64-mingw32/native_protobuf/2.6.1-e228208c78f/./.stamp_built] Error 2

Running "make HOST=x86_64-w64-mingw32 -j4" a second time ends with:

Code:
rm: cannot remove ‘/mnt/c/a/bitcoin/depends/work/build/x86_64-w64-mingw32/boost/1_59_0-b0bbbf17cd7/b2’: Input/output error
make: *** [/mnt/c/a/bitcoin/depends/work/staging/x86_64-w64-mingw32/boost/1_59_0-b0bbbf17cd7/.stamp_staged] Error 1
I installed Bash for Windows 10 and I'm able to build bitcoind, bitcoin-cli and bitcoin-xt binaries that can only run on the same Bash for Windows environment.   But, I could not figure out how to build executables that could run on Windows.  

I followed the instructions on the below document that tells you how to build Windows executables via cross-compilation in Ubuntu but, after the build was completed I got no .exe files (at least I couldn't find them).  
https://github.com/kryptohash/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/build-windows.md

Has anybody been successful with this cross-compiling method?   By the way, I do not want to hijack this old thread full of great info. Let me know if I should create a new thread instead.

Thanks
wr104

legendary
The OP hasn't been updated in over a year.  

Has anybody figure out how to build Bitcoin 0.12.1 or the 0.13 RC?
Try Bash for Windows on the Linux Subsytem in Windows 10. Then just use that as if you were using Ubuntu and cross compile for windows.

I'm trying to see if this works now. In theory it should.

Thanks for the reminder. I've been interested in trying it out for this purpose, myself. I'd set Windows 10 to developer mode and restarted the computer a week or so ago, and then promptly forgot to go ahead and have it install Bash and test it out. Smiley
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code

Try Bash for Windows on the Linux Subsytem in Windows 10. Then just use that as if you were using Ubuntu and cross compile for windows.

I'm trying to see if this works now. In theory it should.

legendary
dude , you are posting to a thread about how to compile the bitcoin qt client for windows , using the source to an alt coin (that I happen to be involved with  and wrote notes elsewhere to help people to comple a win wallet among other things)  .......whats up with that, going to send you pm

hey i want to make new coin..but not able to understand this code..can u help me ??

lmao
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
dude , you are posting to a thread about how to compile the bitcoin qt client for windows , using the source to an alt coin (that I happen to be involved with  and wrote notes elsewhere to help people to comple a win wallet among other things)  .......whats up with that, going to send you pm

hey i want to make new coin..but not able to understand this code..can u help me ??
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!
Activity: 369
First off I have my build environment set up & I am up to the Windows Qt wallet compile part of a similar guide but am getting stuck, I think it may have something to do with the path setting ?

Commands:

cd c:\photon

qmake "USE_UPNP=1" photon-qt.pro

make -f Makefile.Release

End Result

Code:
c:\photon> make -f Makefile.Release
cd C:/photon/src/leveldb && CC=gcc CXX=g++ TARGET_OS=OS_WINDOWS_CROSSCOMPILE min
gw32-make OPT="-pipe -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -O2" libleveldb.a lib
memenv.a && ranlib C:/photon/src/leveldb/libleveldb.a && ranlib C:/photon/src/le
veldb/libmemenv.a
CC: error: =gcc: No such file or directory
CC: error: CXX=g++: No such file or directory
CC: error: TARGET_OS=OS_WINDOWS_CROSSCOMPILE: No such file or directory
CC: error: mingw32-make: No such file or directory
CC: error: OPT=-pipe -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -O2: No such file or
directory
mingw32-make: *** [c:/photon/src/leveldb/libleveldb.a] Error 1

I tried redoing the leveldb make again and libleveldb.a and also libmemenv.a were already updated & current from when I previously done it.

I'm so Close yet so far........

I am using the correct photon source github tree, already set up for compile against the guide I am following.

If anyone can help out & point me in the right direction that would be great.
Activity: 92
Merit: 10
hey everyone, i am trying to compile a wallet on mac but am hitting a snag, i am getting the message
Code:
ld: library not found for -lminiupnpc

other then that its fine, i tried linking to the folder in the .pro file but that didnt help, what am i missing?
legendary
Activity: 1410
Merit: 1003
Bagholder. Hodling shit since 2014

I think this first error may be a key to the mystery.

Code:
pnglibconf.h:199:54: error: expected identifier or '(' before '-' token
                                                      ^

What's on that line? It might be something unpalatable for windows.
Thanks!

I've opened the file in Notepad++, noticed some strange symbols, that are not shown in basic Windows Notepad, deleted them and it worked!

Aren't they ASCII that notepad can't interpret and shows them that way?
Maybe so. I just should have used normal editor from the very beginning Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!
the answer to this depends on which version/generation of source code you use

I suspect your question is not related to bitcoin however since this is now a bit out of date for btc,.,,,

also why change the version number ?

lol

hello it took me a while but i managed to learn how to compile wallets on windows,mac and linux but i have one issue, how do i change the version number in the about page for the wallet? i changed it using qt creator and then used the cmd to compile and when it runs and i check it, it didnt change
Activity: 350
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

Code:
                                                      ^

Thanks!

I've opened the file in Notepad++, noticed some strange symbols, that are not shown in basic Windows Notepad, deleted them and it worked!

Aren't they ASCII that notepad can't interpret and shows them that way?
legendary
Activity: 1410
Merit: 1003
Bagholder. Hodling shit since 2014

Code:
                                                      ^

Thanks!

legendary
Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

Code:
                                                      ^

Pages:
Jump to: