Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box - page 21. (Read 186929 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000
Just unpacked the singles - 1 of 6 sounds like the heatsink is loose -- rattles horribly.

Also - 1 of the singles shows loaded with the 816 firmware?!?

Anyone else get a single that DIDN'T come from the factory with 832 firmware?
Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
So chips are not sanded, it's the heat spreader what we see when someone removes the heatsink...

spiccioli.
The heatspreader is an integral part of the chip packaging, they don't apply it themselves.
... and they should hopefully stop sanding them since we all now know that the chip is an EP3SL150
(just not sure if they are new or 2nd hand)
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
My single which showed 0 processors and was DOA was delivered back to Sonny at BFL today.  Hopefully I get notified soon that a replacement is on its way to me.

edit.  and it will be shipping tomorrow.
That paste doesn't look much better than the stock that the single ships with. I would try something higher-grade like IC Diamond, Thermaltake TG-1, or Arctic MX-4 maybe.. I used TG-1 and it dropped my temps by a solid 3*C
It's Cooler Master HTK-002. I don't know much about different thermal pastes, but Cooler Master is generally a good brand.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
If you could choose full or partial coverage of the overhang...  certainly full would be an easy choice.  I'm just pointing out that the practical value of doing so in this case is nil.   This is the result of our thermal simulations in designing the heatsink.  The reason the few mm on the edge of the spreader are left uncovered is for package fitting. 

Not that again, please...
How about running your own real-world tests to see if full coverage makes a difference? I'd be interested to know whether it did.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
I get what you are saying and I have to agree as its only 5mm in this case. The only reason I brought it up was I noticed it on one unit that had very poor thermal properties compared to its brethren.

Upon examining more closely I would have to say that it is probably the FPGAs co-planarity that might be the culprit. I may end up removing the pushpins and using bolts to secure the heatsink (gently of course). Wink
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
If you could choose full or partial coverage of the overhang...  certainly full would be an easy choice.  I'm just pointing out that the practical value of doing so in this case is nil.   This is the result of our thermal simulations in designing the heatsink.  The reason the few mm on the edge of the spreader are left uncovered is for package fitting. 

Not that again, please...
BFL
Activity: 217
Merit: 100
Has anyone else noticed how the heatpipe cooler on the rev3 doesn't really cover the second FPGA? It is short by about 5cm. The center of the chip is covered but one whole side is left open.

I noticed this also. If this heatpipe is really custom made the job wasn't done good.

I'm thinking about putting a metal plate between the FPGA's and the heatpipe. This metal plate should cover the full area of both FPGA's and transfer it to the heatpipe. Maybe this could improve the cooling which is obviously mainly limited by the only parted covered FPGA.

Has someone already done this?

Adding any additional substance will only increase thermal resistance and makes cooling less efficient.
The aluminium plate which the heatsink sits on, is a by itself a heat-spreader directly attached to the die inside.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

I would agree here, don't add anything extra or your temps will just go up.

The heatsink itself could be better for sure, the aluminum part could be solid copper for start; and I noticed it is slightly short as well, however the copper pipes seem to touch the surface of the chip where the aluminum part cuts off, so that's something I suppose.

Again...  to clarify...   (trying to save unnecessary efforts among users), the chip itself is smaller than the aluminum heat spreader you see.  There is no purpose in trying to extend the heatsink out to the edge of the heat spreader because there is no heat being generated under the edge...  There is only air there.  See picture above for visual reference.

From a technical perspective, I beg to disagree.

There's a thermal resistance RT1 from the die to the heat spreader, and a thermal resistance RT2 from the heat spreader to the cooler. While RT1 cannot be changed, it is a good thing to minimize RT2. One way of minimizing RT2 is by removing the heat from the whole area of the heat spreader.

Has anyone else noticed how the heatpipe cooler on the rev3 doesn't really cover the second FPGA? It is short by about 5cm. The center of the chip is covered but one whole side is left open.

I noticed this also. If this heatpipe is really custom made the job wasn't done good.

I'm thinking about putting a metal plate between the FPGA's and the heatpipe. This metal plate should cover the full area of both FPGA's and transfer it to the heatpipe. Maybe this could improve the cooling which is obviously mainly limited by the only parted covered FPGA.

Adding any additional substance will only increase thermal resistance and makes cooling less efficient.
The aluminium plate which the heatsink sits on, is a by itself a heat-spreader directly attached to the die inside.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

The heatsink itself could be better for sure, the aluminum part could be solid copper for start; and I noticed it is slightly short as well, however the copper pipes seem to touch the surface of the chip where the aluminum part cuts off, so that's something I suppose.

Again...  to clarify...   (trying to save unnecessary efforts among users), the chip itself is smaller than the aluminum heat spreader you see.  There is no purpose in trying to extend the heatsink out to the edge of the heat spreader because there is no heat being generated under the edge...  There is only air there.  See picture above for visual reference.

From a technical perspective, I beg to disagree.

There's a thermal resistance RT1 from the die to the heat spreader, and a thermal resistance RT2 from the heat spreader to the cooler. While RT1 cannot be changed, it is a good thing to minimize RT2. One way of minimizing RT2 is by removing the heat from the whole area of the heat spreader.
BFL

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

Again...  to clarify...   (trying to save unnecessary efforts among users), the chip itself is smaller than the aluminum heat spreader you see.  There is little purpose in trying to extend the heatsink out to the edge of the heat spreader because there's no heat being generated at that point...  There is only air there.  See picture above for visual reference.

The reason the units all have a slightly different throttling point is because the chips are full wafer supply.  There is a natural variance which will frustrate someone trying to 'fix' what they assume is an abnormality. 
e21
Activity: 105
Merit: 10

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

e21
Activity: 105
Merit: 10
I recently won gigavps' BFL Single raffle, and the single arrived yesterday. It was working less than satisfactory though. It's pretty hot here this week, ~26°C (78°F), that may have something to do with it. The stock firmware throttled down very quickly, when the reported temperature reached around 50°C, and afterwards only doing something between 500 and 700 Mhash/sec. It would also give nearly only errors on the light diagnostic.

A lower firmware seemed to help: 816 only sometimes seemed to throttle down, and could complete a light diagnostic most of the times.

Anyway, after reading some stuff, it seemed like the thermal paste might be an issue, so today I replaced the thermal paste with a Cooler Master paste. I took some pictures and put them in an album.

Here are some highlights:

It's a revision 3.

Sadly, the fancy new cooling block does not actually cover one of the aluminium plates fully.

The sanding on the chips themselves doesn't look too pretty either…

I blobified the uncovered part, hoping it would help.

And the result is:
It didn't help. The behavior is the same as before. For no particular reason though, I tried out the fastest firmware available. This actually gets me good rates O.o
So I don't really have any issue anymore, and am just sharing the album Smiley

That paste doesn't look much better than the stock that the single ships with. I would try something higher-grade like IC Diamond, Thermaltake TG-1, or Arctic MX-4 maybe.. I used TG-1 and it dropped my temps by a solid 3*C
rjk
1ngldh
So chips are not sanded, it's the heat spreader what we see when someone removes the heatsink...

spiccioli.
The heatspreader is an integral part of the chip packaging, they don't apply it themselves.
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore

It's also worth pointing out that the silicon under the heat spreader is much smaller than the heat spreader itself.  The heat sink covers the full area of the heat generating silicon's footprint, so there's no real value in trying to cover the end of the heat spreader which has no heat producing component underneath.

Here's an example (not our chip)  

spiccioli.

BFL

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

It's also worth pointing out that the silicon under the heat spreader is much smaller than the heat spreader itself.  The heat sink covers the full area of the heat generating silicon's footprint, so there's no real value in trying to cover the end of the heat spreader which has no heat producing component underneath.

Here's an example (not our chip)  

I recently won gigavps' BFL Single raffle, and the single arrived yesterday. It was working less than satisfactory though. It's pretty hot here this week, ~26°C (78°F), that may have something to do with it. The stock firmware throttled down very quickly, when the reported temperature reached around 50°C, and afterwards only doing something between 500 and 700 Mhash/sec. It would also give nearly only errors on the light diagnostic.

A lower firmware seemed to help: 816 only sometimes seemed to throttle down, and could complete a light diagnostic most of the times.

Anyway, after reading some stuff, it seemed like the thermal paste might be an issue, so today I replaced the thermal paste with a Cooler Master paste. I took some pictures and put them in an album.

Here are some highlights:

It's a revision 3.

Sadly, the fancy new cooling block does not actually cover one of the aluminium plates fully.

The sanding on the chips themselves doesn't look too pretty either…

I blobified the uncovered part, hoping it would help.

And the result is:
It didn't help. The behavior is the same as before. For no particular reason though, I tried out the fastest firmware available. This actually gets me good rates O.o
So I don't really have any issue anymore, and am just sharing the album Smiley
Activity: 227

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

Just make sure the plate is copper and relatively thick (1/8"?).  You are going to have two junctions with high thermal resistence (chip & plate then plate & heatsink).  Using a material with good conductivity and sufficient mass will improve heat transfer.
Pages:
Jump to: