Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box - page 19. (Read 186929 times)

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Where the thermo sensor is located? Why one single starts throttling at 60C, and another at 50C in the same ambient conditions? Is it possible one of sensors gives wrong temperature readout?

Each board has it's own personality, and the sensor is provided as a point of reference for
that specific board.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

Please send me only the overachiever type personality boards pls. Thnks.
Hmm - well since they test them in advance
(and also know where they got the FPGA's from for each board i.e. new/second hand/whatever other option is possible)
they would actually know that before sending one to you.
Maybe when the EP3SL150 supply under $2000 begins to dry up, they'll start selling them price based on good or bad performance?
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1073
And send the underachiever ones to the boarding school with military regimen, it has been shown that they improve the expected achievement.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Inactive
Where the thermo sensor is located? Why one single starts throttling at 60C, and another at 50C in the same ambient conditions? Is it possible one of sensors gives wrong temperature readout?

Each board has it's own personality, and the sensor is provided as a point of reference for
that specific board.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

that specific board.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
Considering BFL has already created a waterblock they should start selling those on their site as well.  Then we can wait 4 weeks for 2 different items.........I kid I kid! Grin Grin

I thought O_Shovah made that. Was BFL claiming it as their own?
Nope. Click this: http://www.butterflylabs.com/production-update/ and scroll down a little ways. They have a redesigned PCB to support the block, because the current one doesn't have mounting holes that would work with a waterblock.
Activity: 720
Merit: 525
Considering BFL has already created a waterblock they should start selling those on their site as well.  Then we can wait 4 weeks for 2 different items.........I kid I kid! Grin Grin

I thought O_Shovah made that. Was BFL claiming it as their own?
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
These units were designed to run in a commercial temp controlled enviroment @ 72 degrees f.Since they are not being run in such an enviroment,i.e. homes & offices where temp is not a mandatory 72 degrees,we are seeing these "overheat" issues.IMO.Plus the varience on a chip by chip basis as well.

Its was a choice they made when designing these devices.Personally I think it wasn't a good decision.Knowing full well the general public was going eat these up like candy.

I'm an A/C install & service tech & know of very few people who keep thier homes @ 72 f.It's more like 76-82 f.

I am not attacking BTW.I'm just stating things as I see them Wink It's a great product & I'm very happy with it Grin

My unit runs @ 760 mh/s consistantly (on the 768 FW,even at 89 degrees room temp  Shocked ) & I will at later date try to improve that by changing the grease & maybe an improved HS/fan setup,I'm still thinking Grin

I'm also watching these BFL threads & other FPGA threads for ideas  Wink
Exactly.  All 10 of mine were absolutely fine with no throttling whatsoever in my 72F office.  I have a dedicated window A/C in there to keep things cool, and have it set at 70 (by the time the air is around to the miners, it's probably 72).

I only have 4 left, but have upgraded them all to the 872 MH/s firmware, and still zero throttling.

I think people are trying to expect too much of them out of environments that are hotter than 72F.
legendary
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
I'd do it just because its something I'm in to.  Can't remember my last aircooled rig.  It certainly has potential for performance gains.
Activity: 392
I bet someone that has a high capacity CNC machine that releases a water block for these would make bank.  I wish I knew how to mill.

I thought BFL was already working on one.
I would like to see a decent heatsink on the singles. Water cooling is a little extreme for something like this.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
These units were designed to run in a commercial temp controlled enviroment @ 72 degrees f.Since they are not being run in such an enviroment,i.e. homes & offices where temp is not a mandatory 72 degrees,we are seeing these "overheat" issues.IMO.Plus the varience on a chip by chip basis as well.

Its was a choice they made when designing these devices.Personally I think it wasn't a good decision.Knowing full well the general public was going eat these up like candy.

I'm an A/C install & service tech & know of very few people who keep thier homes @ 72 f.It's more like 76-82 f.

I am not attacking BTW.I'm just stating things as I see them Wink It's a great product & I'm very happy with it Grin

My unit runs @ 760 mh/s consistantly (on the 768 FW,even at 89 degrees room temp  Shocked ) & I will at later date try to improve that by changing the grease & maybe an improved HS/fan setup,I'm still thinking Grin

I'm also watching these BFL threads & other FPGA threads for ideas  Wink
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
I bet someone that has a high capacity CNC machine that releases a water block for these would make bank.  I wish I knew how to mill.

If someone designs one, I have access to machines...

BFL alreayd made one.  Maybe they will give you the specs.  Could be a win - win.  Better cooling product would mean the chips can be driven harder = more demand for their chips.
Activity: 94
Merit: 10

I thought BFL was already working on one.
rjk
1ngldh
Their design uses screw mounts that are not available on current-gen boards. The newer-gen boards have a tweaked layout to accommodate the block, so I wonder if it would still be possible to make a block for the current-gen singles.
legendary
Merit: 1005

If someone designs one, I have access to machines...
legendary
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
legendary
Activity: 1260
rjk
1ngldh
All I'm saying is that you shouldn't compare them. All "the other FPGA manufacturers" are using plastic chips.
I was wondering about that. Isn't the BFL single a plastic chip with a metal plate on top? Because if so, then why use the metal plate at all? Wouldn't it be better to put the heatsink directly on the chips? (Just wondering here, not taking sides)
No, the chip packaging is similar to a CPU, where it is very close to or in contact with the die. The die itself is smaller then the area covered by the heat spreader.
legendary
Activity: 1260
again, i'm not debating that. If BFL's designers are so good (which again, it seems that they are) that they're running into thermal issues, they should create a solution that actually solves the issue. The box design is not optimized for airflow, the heatsink is not optimized for dissipation, and the sanding was not optimized for heatsink contact, thus creating issues.

I don't disagree that the box design is not optimal in any way and I agree with you other assessments.  I was merely pointing out the fact that there are literally no other FPGA vendors doing or have done what BFL has done with these chips.  Even disregarding the plastic vs metal issue for a comparison, no other vendor would have run into these problems because they are not pushing the chips to continuous duty as far as bitcoin mining pushes them.  
Pages:
Jump to: