Author

Topic: Butterflylabs Huge SCAM - page 113. (Read 415652 times)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0
May 16, 2013, 12:01:02 AM
Very hard to say if this company is a scam or what, it sounds like a classic scam, because there are already asics out there and they can't deliver.  But here it is a working prototype and this guy ain't Josh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6mmTRheUzg
Activity: 23
May 15, 2013, 11:34:10 PM
The automated phone system is notorious at disconnecting callers we have found.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
May 15, 2013, 11:02:17 PM
I treid calling them but no one answers.. could be a bad number
May 15, 2013, 10:58:57 PM
I was pretty excited about getting a BFL mining rig but it looks like I can't even take that gamble now since the queue is so big!
why do they bother?? this i imaginary
May 15, 2013, 10:57:35 PM
i hope not.. i have a miner on the way..
May 15, 2013, 10:56:58 PM
Units have been delivered to devs and entities that can publish positive reviews of their company.  This suggests that they may not follow the order of purchase as they are trying desperately to stop the hemorrhaging.  Coupled with the fact that phone option #3 on their automated phone system is for refunds and they are experiencing a high number of technical problems, I view the health of this company as being suspect. 

No, I wasn't offered a tour. 

Part of me is rooting for them to pull through and deliver, but I have investors to protect and objectives to meet.

I suspected as much, about the tour. I am also rooting for the investors but not for the company. If that makes sense. I do hope they're at least trying and stop fucking up. If they scammed through using pre-orders the damages have already been sustained and shipping at a more professional speed would be their saving grace.

I for one see this happening again and that same low self-esteemed individual with greed filled eyes waiting to take another chance in getting abused by BFL practices.

You know everyone wants their money making machines.

People looking to get rich quick will be severely disappointed.  Bit mining is quickly becoming more investment in nature.
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
May 15, 2013, 10:49:33 PM
Units have been delivered to devs and entities that can publish positive reviews of their company.  This suggests that they may not follow the order of purchase as they are trying desperately to stop the hemorrhaging.  Coupled with the fact that phone option #3 on their automated phone system is for refunds and they are experiencing a high number of technical problems, I view the health of this company as being suspect.  

Part of me is rooting for them to pull through and deliver, but I have investors to protect and objectives to meet.

I suspected as much, about the tour. I am also rooting for the investors but not for the company. If that makes sense. I do hope they're at least trying and stop fucking up. If they scammed through using pre-orders the damages have already been sustained and shipping at a more professional speed would be their saving grace.

I for one see this happening again and that same low self-esteemed individual with greed filled eyes waiting to take another chance in getting abused by BFL practices.

You know everyone wants their money making machines.
May 15, 2013, 10:39:46 PM
Units have been delivered to devs and entities that can publish positive reviews of their company.  This suggests that they may not follow the order of purchase as they are trying desperately to stop the hemorrhaging.  Coupled with the fact that phone option #3 on their automated phone system is for refunds and they are experiencing a high number of technical problems, I view the health of this company as being suspect. 

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.
May 15, 2013, 10:08:46 PM
Of course you saw Dave. Josh was most likely busy daytrading testing cool new stuff.

This raised a(nother) red flag for me.

"I was working on a test pack of 8 boards...Roll Eyes
May 15, 2013, 10:06:18 PM
I went to BFL's office today and had a brief conversation with Dave.  More or less Dave was polite in answering my questions, but definitely did not want me in there.  The conversation raised several red flags and did not inspire confidence in this company being able to deliver as advertised.  As a result of this conversation, my company has elected to seek out other vendors to meet our needs.

Some highlights for those curious:

July seems to be their new target month.

Their 1,500 rig is being redesigned physically.  It will have a new price (going up?) to reflect this.

Thank you! I take it that you were not offered the full tour?

Activity: 6
May 15, 2013, 10:04:22 PM
I went to BFL's office today and had a brief conversation with Dave.  More or less Dave was polite in answering my questions, but definitely did not want me in there.  The conversation raised several red flags and did not inspire confidence in this company being able to deliver as advertised.  As a result of this conversation, my company has elected to seek out other vendors to meet our needs.

Their 1,500 rig is being redesigned physically.  It will have a new price (going up?) to reflect this.

What the heck. I thought some tester units had been sent out to ppl like codinginmysleep.

Figured they were finally entering the build and ship phase but I guess not. Seems they have a new target month every month.
May 15, 2013, 09:55:11 PM

May 15, 2013, 09:29:30 PM
Activity: 588
May 15, 2013, 07:09:32 PM
Scam or not, I ordered to jalapenos about 5 months ago and I am looking forward to receiving them. Smiley
May 15, 2013, 07:09:05 PM
The scam is in the pre-order and refund cycle. If a company had money it would not need to collect pre-orders until they had a working proto-type and NOT FOR A FULL YEAR!!

Money was taken in and used for research and development, all the while telling you all that deliveries were to begin soon if X was done.

There are laws against this. BFL states the money is not being used for research and the money made from the previous product is the money that is funding their operation.

People who didn't like waiting send in their refund. When the money goes low they put pictures of their progress to generate more pre-orders. That is the scam and this is why Josh just says ask for a refund.

Now there is a product (that pre-adopters have funded). I guess it is a good time to raise prices but then again the power figures and low prices were to attract pre-orders and kill competition.

The intention of making and delivering was always there it was the funding of their company to get to the finished product.

My opinion from my experience and from what I have read here and on their forums.

Activity: 338
Merit: 251
May 15, 2013, 07:08:17 PM
OK you guys want to see some shit, check this out.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.10/gizmondo.html

I read this a while back and the first thing I thought of when I heard the historys of the people involved in BFL was "gizmondo..."

From the article:  "In just a few years, it seems, Eriksson went from languishing in a European jail cell to making millions as a tech executive"

Its a long read but a good one. To sum it all up there was a company a few years back a lot like BFL that promised a product with specs that were impossible to deliver on. They then got a bunch of investor money because people beleived it could be delivered. It got delayed and delayed because they lied about how fast they could make it. By the time it came out it was terrible and failed. But the CEOs and scammers who started the company got away clean because in the end they did deliver a product so it "was not an illegal scam". They paid themselves enough to afford $1,000,000 sprots cars (ferrari enzo) and got away with financial murder.

This is exactly what is going to happen with BFL
Activity: 14
May 15, 2013, 07:06:36 PM
Its a scam.
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
May 15, 2013, 07:05:02 PM
I have read this entire thread and many others on the whloe BLF circlejerk, as we would have said in the service.

To all you who are pissed, this is an idea I have not seem even mentioned yet.

Now I have not ordered from them so have no dog in this fight.

I keep hearing that the person who runs this company is a convicted felon on probation.
Has anyone called and talked to his supervision officer themselves. You all know that this is a matter of public record.
All you have to do is look it up and make a couple of phone calls. OR just call the nearest federal courhouse to where he is and ask to speak to the agent in charge.

As a retired community intergration officer (ie. probation officer), I can tell you how interested I would have been if it had been brought
to my notice that one of my probationers was involved in something like this.
I can say that I would have had him infront of a judge so fast, he would have wondered what happened.
I am willing to bet the judge would have revolked on the spot, and back to jail you go.

Soooo, maybe one of you with a dog in the fight minght want to try that.

Let me know how it goes.

Activity: 14
May 15, 2013, 07:04:45 PM
Who else other then me suspected this for the longest time?
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
May 15, 2013, 06:58:09 PM
Yeah, I had a feeling you guys would be passionately in love with my post  Tongue

But the question remains:

When BFL first announced that they were coming out with their FPGA miners did they also have to take all this heat?

They didn't have to take heat, they chose to by being dishonest. BFL lied about their timetable for delivery of FPGA mining gear and they also lied about power consumption of that gear, just as they've done with ASIC mining gear. They're deceitful at every opportunity, because it's how they roll.
Jump to: