Author

Topic: Butterflylabs Huge SCAM - page 155. (Read 415652 times)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500
April 11, 2013, 04:15:18 AM
I don't believe its a run-away-with-money scam either.
There just to much people that placed an order which will hunt down them personally if they run away with the money.
I do think they play a very wrong game with there customers and are lying about a couple of essential things like they paid the whole chip design proces with there own capital.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
April 11, 2013, 04:07:42 AM
I don't believe this is a scam because usually scammers do not give refunds. Sure, I am a bit biased because I am also patiently waiting for my 60MHash little box. I am technically speaking an "investor" in butterflylabs. It's almost like a kickstarter project for their new range of products, because I'm pretty sure they use pre-order money to keep this thing afloat.

All new projects have teething problems. I'm pretty sure when Intel created their very first chip they had problems too. If all their investors fled right at the beginning we would not have i7 today.
Activity: 2
April 11, 2013, 03:27:30 AM
Though they have worked on it......but not this time. I say, negative.
Activity: 3
April 11, 2013, 02:57:30 AM
As a GPU miner, I'm not sure whether I want this to be true or not.  I'd be happy to see asics move forward and people not get ripped off......but I still want my GPUs to be worthwhile Smiley

Oh well.  Time will tell.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
April 10, 2013, 11:41:00 PM
I can only assume they have taken my money and run. No contact from them since my order in july 2012 (apart from a couple of news letters) and no response to my emails. They dont even sell the product I ordered now.

I've seen numerous people report they got refunds after asking for one. Ask for a refund if you don't want to keep waiting. They've also said the new product line for future orders is separate from the prior product line on older orders. You'll get what you ordered before, not one of the new products.
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
April 10, 2013, 11:34:08 PM
Personally I'm relieved that this is a scam. I mean, seriously, one mini rig replaces about 20%-25% of all mining globally?

Your math is bad. It would be only 2% (1.5 Th/s out of 70 Th/s).

And, no, BFL is not a scam (they have a working prototype of their ASICs - not the Mini Rig though).
Activity: 27
April 10, 2013, 10:59:00 AM
Personally I'm relieved that this is a scam. I mean, seriously, one mini rig replaces about 20%-25% of all mining globally? Sounds like a bad thing for the average miner who doesn't have thousands of dollars to throw around...or in my case even $500 would be breaking the bank. So, yeah, for self-serving reasons I hope it remains GPU based...at least this way I have a nice card for gaming as well as mining. Cheesy

Not to mention decent video editing. My thoughts exactly.

Sorry to those who bought the BFL bs  Sad
Activity: 38
April 10, 2013, 08:07:42 AM
Personally I'm relieved that this is a scam. I mean, seriously, one mini rig replaces about 20%-25% of all mining globally? Sounds like a bad thing for the average miner who doesn't have thousands of dollars to throw around...or in my case even $500 would be breaking the bank. So, yeah, for self-serving reasons I hope it remains GPU based...at least this way I have a nice card for gaming as well as mining. Cheesy
Activity: 117
Merit: 10
April 10, 2013, 07:53:51 AM
maybe josh is using this ASIC for his own mining for a couple of months before he deliver to you all ......let say 60gH/s per set x  1000 set = 60TH/s that is a very powerful weapon considering the hash rate this butterfly machines can produced. Smiley making double profit...
Activity: 6
April 10, 2013, 07:43:05 AM
Still waiting on my ASIC.  At least for now my single is chugging away. 
Activity: 10
April 10, 2013, 05:38:01 AM
I want to have one of those.
Activity: 6
April 10, 2013, 04:22:12 AM
I'm quite on the fence about it as well.

Think about it, even with the 5gh/s machine, you'd be mining 10BTC a month.  You're going to tell me that they're totally fine with selling a piece of hardware that generates (at the time of this posting, based on recent market values) ~$2,300USD a month?!

yeah right.

I'd simply never have to work again.

I always remember the old adage:

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
Activity: 631
Merit: 501
April 09, 2013, 09:04:17 PM
I placed an order, was almost ready to wire $30k, then thought the better of it.

Unfortunately, I also put off buying BTC directly for 3 months after that, until last month :-(

-- FK

Unfortunately it's not going to matter much.  If/When BFL actually gets around to shipping the units, the difficulty will have skyrocketed so high you will never make as much as the early Avalon adopters.  Granted you will make more than us FPGA people  Roll Eyes ....

In one month I have watched the difficulty jump from 3.2M to almost 9M.
Where do you think it will be 1 month from now?  How about when Avalon releases the second batch, or people add the upgrade module to the first batch?
Activity: 25
April 09, 2013, 08:51:10 PM
Does anyone know which foundry these ASICs are being built at? If so we could ring them up and have a thirs person verification. If they are building the ASICs then it's pretty sure the rigs will appear at somepoint but if no foundry has heard of them then it doesn't look good ...

If BFL say which foundry are producing the ASICs I'll put a few pre-orders in.
Activity: 146
Merit: 100
April 09, 2013, 08:38:49 PM
So do they even have the production capacity to make 400 units a day (as some have estimated) with 1 mydata m9 pick and place machine and the other 2 different machines they bought? Shouldn't they be buying more machines with all that pre-order money to fill their pre-orders ASAP?
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
April 09, 2013, 08:09:59 PM

Or as we bitcointalk.org vets call him...JZ or lying sack of crap scammer. All in good fun of course. Grin

Anyone that thinks that last nickname is unearned should see this thread:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bfl-timeline-illustrated-171723
Activity: 183
Merit: 100
April 09, 2013, 05:11:46 PM
I can only assume they have taken my money and run. No contact from them since my order in july 2012 (apart from a couple of news letters) and no response to my emails. They dont even sell the product I ordered now.
Activity: 27
April 09, 2013, 07:40:50 AM
@Inaba, I am aware that you may be associated with BFL and you are dismissing my claim easily, so I will submit my invoice and credit notes here as screenshots with personal details omitted. All I am asking is for clarification as to why I have on the refund note a fee charged on the original sum I have paid for. It might be something as stupid as a software error on your billing platform.

This is the invoice when I purchased the Jalapeno:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22873106/BFL/invoice.png

This is the refund note with the adjustment fee charge:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22873106/BFL/refund.png

Inaba = BFL_Josh

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1071218
Activity: 22
April 09, 2013, 07:26:27 AM
concerning delivery times, an Apr 9 email to me from BFL  said

"so new pre-orders, regardless of product or power consumption, will likely ship sometime in late July or early August,

sooner if possible"
Activity: 10
April 09, 2013, 03:58:41 AM
I have added on another topic that BFL takes a cut when refunding customers over paypal payments. I have included a screenshot for people to see.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1774005

I would exercise caution if you plan to order from BFL as they have not been very honest with their shipping dates and 1GH/1W power consumption rates as was promised previously to pre-order customers.

Just a point of fact, this JML guy is completely fabricating the whole "BFL takes a cut" stuff.  It is patently false and ludicrous.  100% incorrect information.  BFL does not now, nor has ever taken any sort of additional funds when refunding a customer.

I can confirm this, my PayPal refund was for the entire amount.

Code:
31 Mar 2013 Currency Conversion Completed Details $1,386.00 USD
 8 Apr 2013 Refund                  Completed ...          $1,386.00 USD
 8 Apr 2013 Currency Conversion Completed Details -$1,386.00 USD

Still of the opinion that it wasn't set up as a scam in the first place but they are keeping customers hanging on for kit that if it does every ship will already be too slow and out of date. There is evidence that they have build something, why would you bother if it was an outright scam?
Jump to: