Pages:
Author

Topic: ### C-Note - 4 Years Old and Still Alive!!! ### - page 41. (Read 77422 times)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 568
reserved.

I love cpu mining.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
sounded interesting until closed source. I don't see that working at all.

What exactly would YOU do with the source code?

Diffs on it to ensure the changes are relevant and what is claimed. That no code is malicious (admittedly, perhaps not me personally but it's important for the option to exist in my opinion). I always compile on Linux...

Trust and faith in a coin is important and attempting to avoid pools is an interesting idea but keeping the source closed is also a red flag for me. Users typically look for transparency and that's much more difficult to achieve with a closed source.

I also agree, I don't see the harm in pools. Keeping this CPU only would be nice in an attempt to keep it fair. How many people on celerons will continue to mine this if they are easily discouraged that all blocks are going to the fewer users with much higher hash rates? I still think the idea of solo-only mining is interesting but I don't see how attempting to block pools truly makes this "fair". I'd be much more interested in a more thought out approach to this idea rather than just withholding the source which will make some people wonder if something is hidden there.

Some of us prefer to build from source and not just run random binaries hosted on mega Smiley

edit: Thank you for opening up source review for Hero members. I do believe this will help. My concerns aren't that *I* don't trust it but that others won't. If others won't and don't adopt the coin, it doesn't provide much value. Having a 3rd party verify integrity could certainly help address this.
Activity: 56
We are not releasing the source code
Without the open source you can put there a backdoor, like NSA do with Dual EC DRBG, and so you can just hack private key, or you can put a bug, (like CENT stake) with knowledge of that you can generate infinite coins, and etc.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
1 - We will release the Binaries only.  We would also accept an application from any Hero Member to examine the source code on condition that they post their findings on this thread AND they agree not to form a pool or release the code to a pool.

What is the matter with pools? If anything, they help that mother with 10-year-old Celeron, because she does have a chance to actually find some coins. If it weren't for pools, big players with server farms will take every single block.

Unless you have a server farm, and that's what you want to happen. In that case, just slap "PREMINE 100%" and stop screwing around.
Activity: 434
Merit: 251

good coin ..... I'll wait to 1001 block to start mining.

Grin Grin
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
Crackpot Idealist
so lets assume that this is a quark clone, do you not know that there is a gpu miner for quark?

Have you really thought this through?
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
what about pre-mine?

close-source for how long?

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

What exactly would you do with the source code?

Uh, compile the wallet?
If they link to different version of, for example boost-threads than I have on my system, the program won't work. Perhaps they can statically link everything to avoid that, but then we get maybe 100-200 MB bloated binary Smiley

Also, people running BSD systems would be ruled out ...

And without releasing the source, it will be easier for them to put in any backdoor or other nasties ....
Activity: 425
Merit: 253

how tell there's no premine if no source code to make block explorer?

scam coin!!

Block Explorer will be released at same time as C-Note.
Activity: 14
reserved
Activity: 50

how tell there's no premine if no source code to make block explorer?

scam coin!!
Activity: 227
Merit: 100
o looks great!
no pool, no 'big-machine', no GPU
Really hope so!!!!!!!!!!!
reserved!
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
interested, maybe you could release the source at a unknown time here.after maybe 1 week of release date, to make sure its not instamined? thanks
Activity: 41
reserved
Anti-Premine – Block explorer will show that there is no pre-mine.
Anti-Instamine – First 1000 blocks only pay .0001 all blocks pay 100 thereafter
Very Fair Start – This Pre-Announcement is plenty of advance notice to anyone interested.
Anti-Pool – This is an asset that anyone can mine with a CPU.  We are not releasing the
source code
, therefore making it more difficult to pool mine.
No Complicated Set Up – Wallet comes with built in miner ready to go*.
Good luck, fuckers.

Please see revised note #1 about source code.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005
My mule don't like people laughing

What exactly would you do with the source code?

They look through it to see ensure there are no viruses, and that your not scamming. Like taking a cut of each block. They also make pools. I Just scan the windows binary with Virustotal.

What exactly would YOU do with the source code?
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
watching, hoping
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
It's not like pooling is what kills cpu mining.... actually anti-bank itself would kill it. If the difficulty is too high and it takes too long to find blocks by yourself, it will discourage people from mining because they don't wanna take the chance to mine and get nothing (or less than they should because of bad luck).

I liked the idea in general, but the fact that this part eluded you, I'm just gonna stay away.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005
My mule don't like people laughing
Ya know, if use a primecoin fork you could release the source. You wouldn't have to worry about pools picking up your coin until it actually took off. Solo mining with CPU is all that can be done at the wallet level. Smart guys could merge code from optimized primecoin wallets to make their miner faster so just release yours with those changes already in.

Just a thought.  Wink

Pages:
Jump to: