Author

Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board - page 108. (Read 286370 times)

Activity: 249
Merit: 250
May 30, 2012, 05:55:38 PM
"Outright difficult" ::= "the most difficult thing you've ever done in your life"

Speaking of which, isn't Eldentyrell's bitstream due sometime today / tomorrow?
Activity: 448
May 30, 2012, 05:25:16 PM
FYI: This board is one of the early "Developer" boards. So no bitstream on it yet (As yohan mentioned).
I still have to synthesize a bitstream, and flash it to the board over JTAG to get this hashing. Then I can post numbers. That's why I said it would take me a few days Wink

Cheesy

I fear that you will find out that synthesizing a bitstream for the Spartan6-150 is not as easy as some people think it is.

Yes, achieving 120 MH/s or 140 MH/s per FPGA may be fairly easy, but 210 MH/s (ZTEX) is not easy at all.

Achieving 260 MH/s (EldenTyrell) or 300 MH/s (Bitfury) is outright difficult.
"Outright difficult" ::= "the most difficult thing you've ever done in your life"
Activity: 407
May 30, 2012, 05:16:53 PM
Mr Glasswalker. Post those number of yours Tongue

FYI: This board is one of the early "Developer" boards. So no bitstream on it yet (As yohan mentioned).

I still have to synthesize a bitstream, and flash it to the board over JTAG to get this hashing. Then I can post numbers. That's why I said it would take me a few days Wink

But yes I'll get numbers posted as soon as possible.

Let's call it a race, see if I can beat Enterpoint to releasing numbers for their own product Wink lol (which they will probably win lol)
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
May 30, 2012, 04:58:16 PM
Call me crazy but I just refused for an early board Cheesy I don't see the point having one until it's completely ready with bitstreams and all.

I agree with your decision. A car isn't a car without an engine. (Or motor for those of you who were going to argue...)
Activity: 466
May 30, 2012, 04:55:37 PM
Call me crazy but I just refused for an early board Cheesy I don't see the point having one until it's completely ready with bitstreams and all.

Activity: 456
May 30, 2012, 04:41:02 PM
What are people using to mine?

... does it work with cgminer as an Icarus? (i.e. as 2 Icarus /dev/ttyUSBx or 2 COM ports?)
the latest (a few weeks old) cgminer git pull I have up may also help with that if it's a different speed to an Icarus Rev3
(the new --icarus-timing option)

Though, the fact that it is 4 chips (and not 2) may? need some minor changes to cgminer
(if it doesn't appear to the OS as 2 tty/COM ports)

IIRC nobody has this thing mining... YET!.. cant wait to see the results! im so excited!
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
May 30, 2012, 12:37:36 PM
If the build in programming is working you won't need a programming cable and that is our no1 aim to have that working this week. That makes it easier for everyone and we can then update bitstreams as we have better ones. Secondary aim is to have a working bitstream at the same time. We have held the main ship until Friday not only to try and achieve these things but also because our main packaging does not arrive until then. This small delay makes some sense for us to get these things right. However if any of our customers are proficient in FPGA programming and have the tools we can ship them tomorrow in adhoc packaging. Anyone who has their early ship notification and that feels that they are in that category just let us know.

The few people that have boards already for development have cables with them so we can keep them up to date in the short until the in-built programmer takes over.

We have some customisations to CGminer in hand for our own bitstream but if we get the Icarus bitstream hack working first then it should just look like 2 x Icarus. The Icarus way is a temporary solution and was always planned that way. We have thought from the beginning that we can offer something much better in performance and you can all speculate what that might be. Until it works I won't say much more. It could be a bad idea and big damp squib after all. The team are working hard on all of these things and just a little patience is needed whilst we get them right.

Production wise it is shaping up nicely. Our new Cairnsmore1 final assembly and test area gets fitted and kitted out tomorrow and after that it gets a bit easier for us to push large numbers of boards through these stages.
Activity: 481
Merit: 502
May 30, 2012, 06:32:58 AM
Update

Ok first units are out. The first few days will be a very slow build up so a little patience is required. We are aiming for most units to ship with at least with at least in-built programming if not some level of bitstream so we will take 1 or 2 days to try and get that right. This also happens to tie up with our proper packaging that arrives hopefully on Friday.

Hi Yohan.

I got the email for the early shipment of the board, but I was wondering. If these boards are already shipping, without yet having a working bitstream or in-built programming option, does this mean I will have to purchase a JTAG programming cable to reprogram the boards once the bitstream is released?

Or will the shipping of them be postponed til Friday with the proper packaging and (hopefully) in-built programming and/or working bitstream?

Thanks and keep up the great work
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
May 30, 2012, 04:48:58 AM
What are people using to mine?

... does it work with cgminer as an Icarus? (i.e. as 2 Icarus /dev/ttyUSBx or 2 COM ports?)
the latest (a few weeks old) cgminer git pull I have up may also help with that if it's a different speed to an Icarus Rev3
(the new --icarus-timing option)

Though, the fact that it is 4 chips (and not 2) may? need some minor changes to cgminer
(if it doesn't appear to the OS as 2 tty/COM ports)
legendary
Activity: 938
What's a GPU?
May 30, 2012, 02:40:49 AM
This is an extremely impressive turn around time. Great job!
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
May 30, 2012, 02:31:52 AM
Update

Ok first units are out. The first few days will be a very slow build up so a little patience is required. We are aiming for most units to ship with at least with at least in-built programming if not some level of bitstream so we will take 1 or 2 days to try and get that right. This also happens to tie up with our proper packaging that arrives hopefully on Friday. If we miss shipping on Friday for any reason there won't be any shipping until next Wednesday because of the Queen's 60th jubilee public holidays on Monday and Tuesday. Virtually nothing, except having a good time, will happen in the UK on the 4th and 5th of June. So we will do our best to get a pile of units out on Friday.

We are also doing other activities at the moment which whilst mundane also that tie in with efficient shipping, product quality, and how fast our shipping ramp is. Those include designing and manufacturing some simple custom test equipment and even physically constructing the programming and test line in an organised fashion as opposed to a hap hazard bench usage. This includes the arrival and assembly of some new work benches which cross fingers actually turn up today. All of this will make our test much more reliable and less labour intensive and allow us to achieve the necessary throughput.

We are also going through the process of refining the test proceedure and training staff on how to run it.

So please bear with us through this short transition stage. We know that you are all impatient to get mining with the Cairnsmore1 and I think it will meet your expectations when your order actually arrives. After all it's only 40 days since we announced the concept and started work on the design.

If your order was initially indicated as mid-June, or earlier, you probably should have had a first unit shipment offer. If you didn't get that either contact us or/and check your spam folder.

For those of you further down the pre-order list we should a better idea on shipping dates in a week or so once we have bedded down the test and shipping line a bit. That put togther with assembly data and expected arrival of parts will let us define the delivery schedule more accurately. We will update everyone then accordingly.

Yohan

Activity: 199
Merit: 100
May 30, 2012, 12:49:14 AM
I can't wait to get mine. I bought simply to support these guys because I think they are the most professional players in the FPGA market. I respect many other folks here for what they have done, but I just believe these guys are going to blow everyone away once they get a handle on bitcoin specific development.

Besides, they said June and they shipped one before June 1st, that is service.

+1
+2
+3
+n
Activity: 535
Merit: 500
May 29, 2012, 10:13:46 PM
I can't wait to get mine. I bought simply to support these guys because I think they are the most professional players in the FPGA market. I respect many other folks here for what they have done, but I just believe these guys are going to blow everyone away once they get a handle on bitcoin specific development.

Besides, they said June and they shipped one before June 1st, that is service.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
May 29, 2012, 09:50:28 PM
Definitely a beautiful board, and I love the cooling solution! I'm curious though if the rest of the people that pre-ordered are going to get an e-mail telling them to pay up or what exactly is going to happen?

rjk
1ngldh
May 29, 2012, 07:52:46 PM
Beautiful! And you got serial 0001 - A collectible!
Activity: 407
May 29, 2012, 07:50:07 PM
Just came home today from a conference to find this waiting at my house:

First Cairnsmore1 In the Wild!

It might be a couple days before I can post performance numbers as I'm extremely busy right now. I'll post more once I have numbers:

Here are pics in the meantime (including unboxing):

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
May 29, 2012, 06:41:47 PM
Exactly. It is how the PC turns off in the first place.

Too bad the "genius" who wants to setup a $1m mining company does not know 1+1=2 in electrical terms Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1400
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
May 29, 2012, 03:14:23 PM
Its the same thing with the switch I showed earlier, by turning the switch off the ground is lost and the PSU turns off.
legendary
Activity: 1029
May 29, 2012, 02:07:59 PM
All ATX PSU's that I have chance to play with, they turned off when I removed clip/wire.
rjk
1ngldh
May 29, 2012, 01:55:57 PM
Just tested on 3 different PSUs, and they all turned off when the ground was removed.
Jump to: