Pages:
Author

Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board - page 37. (Read 286370 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 564
August 08, 2012, 07:39:41 AM
Minor bitstream revision: http://www.makomk.com/~aidan/shortfin-dcmwd-20120808.zip

If you're already running the previous one, there's probably no point upgrading. The only difference is that with this one you should be able to disable the array clock with switch 3, temp-upload a bitstream, and re-enable the array clock without having to mess around with flashing and power cycling the whole board. Once you've got a bitstream flashed and running it shouldn't make much difference.
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
August 08, 2012, 02:36:12 AM

1. Do I need to do this w/ one board plugged in at a time?
2. If I don't, do all boards need to be idle?

I'm getting this error w/ 8 boards mining, 1 board idle.

Could not open FTDI device (using libftdi): unable to claim usb device. Make sur
e the default FTDI driver is not in use
FTD2XX/WIN: Can't set VID/PID to 0403:8350. Expect failure
Using FTD2XX,
JTAG loc.: 0    IDCODE: 0x3401d093      Desc:       XC6SLX150   Rev: C  IR lengt
h: 6
JTAG loc.: 1    IDCODE: 0x3401d093      Desc:       XC6SLX150   Rev: C  IR lengt
JTAG loc.: 2    IDCODE: 0x3401d093      Desc:       XC6SLX150   Rev: C  IR lengt
JTAG loc.: 3    IDCODE: 0x3401d093      Desc:       XC6SLX150   Rev: C  IR lengt

what i do is plug only one of the cm1 (which i want to program) in a laptop .uninstall all usb filters ( in the laptop )and install it again for the new board. then that error dissapear
Activity: 648
Merit: 500
August 07, 2012, 03:45:39 PM
I have no idea where to begin w/ configuring MPBM. haven't been able to find any documentation
Info can be dug out of this thread:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/modular-python-bitcoin-miner-official-thread-62823

But mind you the thread starts out talking about setting it up with an editable config file but the current version *must* be configured by the web interface found at http://:8832/

Somewhere along the thread it switches over but I don't recall where. Probably around June 2012.

First, set up some "Work sources". There is an example 'work source group' with a few 'work sources' created on first run. (Or, you can leave these be until you have a proven "Worker" setup and you'll just donate a few shares to the author. This would probably be best - start with a 'known working' configuration for the sources until you know your hardware is configured / working.)

Second, create a "Worker" for each 'hash producer' / unit of hardware. E.g., one for a BFL, one for an icarus, apparently two for a CM1.

Explore the menu items and drop down lists.

Easiest to use under Linux, probably (isn't everything Smiley); I have it running on OS X 10.7 where I had to patch two lines for the BFL worker to function under Python 3.

awesome, thanks for the lead
August 07, 2012, 03:43:29 PM
This is a make-shift guide for windows users for faster, permanent flashing. I have not yet tested it, but apparrentley Slipbye has had succes with it. It also gets us out of the virtual machine (for good ?)

21:13] http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/files/libusb-win32-releases/1.2.6.0/libusb-win32-devel-filter-1.2.6.0.exe/download
[21:14] install that, make sure the board to be flashed is plugged, start the libusb filter wizard
[21:14] select the USB composite device which shows an ID of 0403 8350
[21:14] install the filter driver for that
[21:14] download this: https://xc3sprog.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xc3sprog/trunk/xc3sprog.exe
[21:14] create a new file called cablelist.txt in the same directory
[21:15] put this line inside that file:
[21:15] cm1 ftdi 20000000 0x0403:0x8350:
[21:15] open a command prompt in the directory where the files are and run these commands:
[21:15] set CABLEDB=cablelist.txt
[21:15] xc3sprog -c cm1
[21:15] it should detect the fpgas
a this point you want to copy the .bit files you'll be using to the same folder as xc3sprog is in.
[21:16] if that worked, you can go ahead with flashing like usual
[21:16] xc3sprog -c cm1 -p 0 -Ixc6lx150.bit file_to_be_flashed.bit

Enjoy your 1-3hours of spare time per day Smiley

1. Do I need to do this w/ one board plugged in at a time?
2. If I don't, do all boards need to be idle?

I'm getting this error w/ 8 boards mining, 1 board idle.

Could not open FTDI device (using libftdi): unable to claim usb device. Make sur
e the default FTDI driver is not in use
FTD2XX/WIN: Can't set VID/PID to 0403:8350. Expect failure
Using FTD2XX,
JTAG loc.: 0    IDCODE: 0x3401d093      Desc:       XC6SLX150   Rev: C  IR lengt
JTAG loc.: 1    IDCODE: 0x3401d093      Desc:       XC6SLX150   Rev: C  IR lengt
JTAG loc.: 2    IDCODE: 0x3401d093      Desc:       XC6SLX150   Rev: C  IR lengt
JTAG loc.: 3    IDCODE: 0x3401d093      Desc:       XC6SLX150   Rev: C  IR lengt
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
August 07, 2012, 02:52:02 PM
I have no idea where to begin w/ configuring MPBM. haven't been able to find any documentation
Info can be dug out of this thread:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/modular-python-bitcoin-miner-official-thread-62823

But mind you the thread starts out talking about setting it up with an editable config file but the current version *must* be configured by the web interface found at http://:8832/

Somewhere along the thread it switches over but I don't recall where. Probably around June 2012.

First, set up some "Work sources". There is an example 'work source group' with a few 'work sources' created on first run. (Or, you can leave these be until you have a proven "Worker" setup and you'll just donate a few shares to the author. This would probably be best - start with a 'known working' configuration for the sources until you know your hardware is configured / working.)

Second, create a "Worker" for each 'hash producer' / unit of hardware. E.g., one for a BFL, one for an icarus, apparently two for a CM1.

Explore the menu items and drop down lists.

Easiest to use under Linux, probably (isn't everything Smiley); I have it running on OS X 10.7 where I had to patch two lines for the BFL worker to function under Python 3.
hm
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
August 07, 2012, 01:42:32 PM
I succeeded to revert controller firmware from glasswalker to v1.3 after numerous tries. Strangely, it never worked with switch3=off & switch6=off. So I turned switch3=off and switch6=on, and voilà .. immediate success. I must have misunderstood the dip switch settings tables.

Then I flashed latest makomk 140 bitstream, but my board #62-0017 has still low or unstable hash rates.
The best bitstream for me was still twin_test, it hashed at its full speed at least for some hours per day, but in the rest of the day it showed very unstable hash rates.

I hope my board can be fixed soon, I already wrote to support on sunday night/monday morning.
August 07, 2012, 01:31:53 PM
ebereon,

how many boards do you have running per instance of cgminer?

EDIT: I've gotten 8 boards running fine in 2 instances of cgminer (any more than 4 per instance crashes it for some reason???) but I can't seem to get my 9th to get detected.

as per Ebereons instructions, I've identified the boards usb's. I've uninstalled w/ and w/out deleting the drivers, and w/ and w/out uninstalling the com's ports associated w/ the board. Each time, the board re-installs to the same coms, which gives me

[2012-08-04 21:39:32] Started cgminer 2.6.2a
 [2012-08-04 21:39:32] Icarus Detect: Test failed at \\.\COM20: get 00000000, should: 000187a2
 [2012-08-04 21:39:32] Icarus Detect: Test failed at \\.\COM21: get 00000000, should: 000187a2

every time. No clue where to begin figuring out this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steamboat

I don't use cgminer yet, just tested it after mpbm was working without problems. Make sure all boards accept the 190Mh bitstream, best joice is mpbm and check 1 day the invalids. If you have invalids >3% on some pair, use a slower bitstream. If now all works in mpbm with <3% invalids, then i'm sure all boards will be working with cgminer too.

eb

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com
August 07, 2012, 09:26:53 AM
I am very pleased to report that the bitminter-mining client would now seem to support and work with carinsmore1's solong as they have an icarus compatible bitstream in them.
I can report hashing, valid shares and the mining speed being about what it should be with makomk's 200 and 180mhs shortfin icarus bitstreams.

This is a java-based, extremeley easy to use miner that is tied to a specific pool (bitminter). I mine at this pool and consider it the best one out there. Infact the only non-awesome thing about the client is that it is not open sourced, for obvious reasons.
You can find the beta-client that supports icarus at:

http://bitminter.com/beta/beta.jnlp

The pools website is:

https://bitminter.com/
It's a mid-sized rapidly growing pool. That is hop-proof, pays tx-fees, merged mining.

To try it out you'll need to:
1. register an account.
2. dl and run the client.
3. select devices->probe all ports for fgpas.
4. wait for ~20sec per fgpa for the client to figure out timings (yes automatic!)
5. feel your ass grow as the coins roll in.

See you on the leaderboards.

[edit]
Looks like there might be some issues to work out, but I cant submit 100% accurate reports for drharibo (pool op and developer of the client) because I dont have a 100% working hub/cable setup (hub#3, cable #13 in try now).
If someone with a rock-solid setup tests this, please drop drharibo a line or two. He can be found here on the forums and on irc at freenode.
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
August 07, 2012, 08:30:55 AM
@spiccioli have you only tried the 140 mhz bitstream yet? Did you try the non-dcmwd bitstreams before?
I'm running the non-dcmwd 150 mhz without problems on my #26 but I'm wondering if the dcmwd-bitstreams allow clocks higher than 150 mhz on pre-50 boards.

No, I did not try different bistreams on this board.

I was using the old twin_test.bit until yesterday evening.

I hope that the dcmwd ones can run higher on pre-50 boards, but I have not tried them yet. Smiley

spiccioli
donator
Activity: 543
August 07, 2012, 08:20:16 AM
@spiccioli have you only tried the 140 mhz bitstream yet? Did you try the non-dcmwd bitstreams before?
I'm running the non-dcmwd 150 mhz without problems on my #26 but I'm wondering if the dcmwd-bitstreams allow clocks higher than 150 mhz on pre-50 boards.
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
August 07, 2012, 08:10:16 AM
Speaking of resetting boards, these bitstreams should hopefully detect one of the common causes of FPGAs freezing (the DCM losing lock and not outputting a clock anymore) and automatically recover from it: http://www.makomk.com/~aidan/shortfin-dcmwd-20120803.zip Initial signs are looking good, touch wood.
Any experiences with pre-S/N-50 boards yet? I cannot test any other bitstream atm because I cannot flip over the dip switch remotely Sad

Shades,

board #0008, 12 hours, ozco.in, makomk dcmwd2 (the one which tries to workaround cairnsmore issues with clocks) 140 MH/s bitstream.

Code:
 ICA  0:                | 371.7/348.3Mh/s | A:3787 R: 5 HW: 1221 U: 3.90/m
 ICA  1:                | 359.7/347.1Mh/s | A:3846 R: 3 HW:  160 U: 3.96/m

I think there is something wrong in the HW: counter for ICA 0, it seems too much for just 12 hours.

spiccioli.
donator
August 07, 2012, 08:02:42 AM
Speaking of resetting boards, these bitstreams should hopefully detect one of the common causes of FPGAs freezing (the DCM losing lock and not outputting a clock anymore) and automatically recover from it: http://www.makomk.com/~aidan/shortfin-dcmwd-20120803.zip Initial signs are looking good, touch wood.
Any experiences with pre-S/N-50 boards yet? I cannot test any other bitstream atm because I cannot flip over the dip switch remotely Sad
August 07, 2012, 07:05:47 AM
To open cgminer with ports of an already running board.
for instance my ports 20 ,21 are hashing OK and i open a new cmd window and type cgminer  blah blah  -S   20 and 21 again.

I thought that's what you meant. Why would you ever want to do this?

no no i dont wanna do that. it was only a way of "replicate" an error similar to what i get sometimes ( of course doing normal things Wink. and to see if anyone could see any clue in why i'm getting an administrative rights error.

maybe when my fpga is frozen doesnt free any resource and cgminer thinks it is still  busy and show me that error.  it seems weird to me that no body has my error it was all.

Regards.  

Try a diff usb cable, I would get this error with bad usb cables.

my biggest bet is on the usb hub  because the suspicious cable works when i unpluged all the others usb cables from the usb and make a power cycle. but your suggestion will be consider . Thank you.
Activity: 556
August 06, 2012, 07:45:38 PM
for instance my ports 20 ,21 are hashing OK and i open a new cmd window and type cgminer  blah blah  -S   20 and 21 again.

no no i dont wanna do that. it was only a way of "replicate" an error similar to what i get sometimes ( of course doing normal things Wink. and to see if anyone could see any clue in why i'm getting an administrative rights error.

maybe when my fpga is frozen doesnt free any resource and cgminer thinks it is still  busy and show me that error.  it seems weird to me that no body has my error it was all.

Regards.  

Try a diff usb cable, I would get this error with bad usb cables.
August 06, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Regards.  
August 06, 2012, 06:21:27 PM
are you using windows or linux? i can't get cgminer to load more than 8 pairs w/out freezing in windows

linux, steamboat.

It seem to me that on windows you have make the buffer of the cmd.exe window bigger, going into its properties and making it, for example, 80x50, so that the full list of your boards can be seen inside the window.

In other words, an 80x25 cmd.exe window can only show a few units, you need a bigger window if you have lots of units.

spiccioli.

EDIT: see this for example: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.msg879120;topicseen#msg879120

it isn't an issue of them working and just not being able to see em, cgminer gives an unexpected error and windows closes it.
donator
August 06, 2012, 06:10:37 PM
Thanks. I'm running with icarus-timing=long now. Now MHS av and U are pretty close, even after just 15 minutes.

Which of the values "Hs", "W" and "fullnonce" do I have to pass to icarus-timing to get an accurate reading from the beginning? Found it.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
August 06, 2012, 05:26:34 PM
I don't use any timing options w/ the latest iteration of cgminer, and as long as none of the chips fail it's pretty accurate
For me it's not... Reported hashrate is 700 MH/s whereas U clearly indicated that the "real" performance is only 600 MH/s. Which is what one would expect from the 150 Mhz bitstream.

I'm currently unable to test any other bitstreams because the board is running in a remote location and I don't want to install VirtualBox risking to kill my network connection.
As I mentioned before Smiley

If the device really does hash at the same speed as an Icarus Rev3, it will show correctly.
If it doesn't, then you need to know the timing value for the device (which you can work out with 'long' or 'short') or always run in 'long' or 'short' mode, to get it to show correctly.

The number of shares per piece of work is random, including possibly 0
When a piece of work has no shares, cgminer has to decide when to stop working on it before it finishes so it doesn't end up idle
The Icarus bitstream doesn't send back a message when it finishes, it just goes idle
So the timing determines how long that is and thus how long to wait for an answer and then give up and overwrite it with a new piece of work

How many hashes it did up to the point when it aborted the work is thus estimated based on how fast the device hashes.
So if the timing value is wrong, it will report the MH/s incorrectly

Also, if the timing says it is slower than it really is, it only takes it to be incorrect by ~1% and it will be idle at the end each time a piece of work has no shares - and thus this will reduce the performance and the number of shares it finds

However, if the device hashes slower than an Icarus Rev3, then it wont ever be idle, it will just report the MH/s higher than it really is but with no negative affect on the shares
Though, if it really is aborting work too early, it will have a small negative affect, but usually less than the screen display accuracy ...

FYI: all mining programs that mine on a device with the current Icarus bitstream must perform this 'estimate hash calculation'
donator
August 06, 2012, 04:28:57 PM
I don't use any timing options w/ the latest iteration of cgminer, and as long as none of the chips fail it's pretty accurate
For me it's not... Reported hashrate is 700 MH/s whereas U clearly indicated that the "real" performance is only 600 MH/s. Which is what one would expect from the 150 Mhz bitstream.

I'm currently unable to test any other bitstreams because the board is running in a remote location and I don't want to install VirtualBox risking to kill my network connection.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
August 06, 2012, 04:03:42 PM
are you using windows or linux? i can't get cgminer to load more than 8 pairs w/out freezing in windows

linux, steamboat.

It seem to me that on windows you have make the buffer of the cmd.exe window bigger, going into its properties and making it, for example, 80x50, so that the full list of your boards can be seen inside the window.

In other words, an 80x25 cmd.exe window can only show a few units, you need a bigger window if you have lots of units.

spiccioli.

With BFGMiner, you could just scroll the unit list with the Up/Down arrow keys...
Pages:
Jump to: