Pages:
Author

Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board - page 48. (Read 286370 times)

Activity: 199
Merit: 100
July 30, 2012, 09:41:31 AM

Doff when you are using makomk's  they show up as two ICA , but how much COM's are they using 2? 1 per ica, 4?

i dont know if I have to add two -S (COMXX) or four

thank you.  

I'm thinking about moving into makomk's bitstream but I had some problems with 1.3 controller and  i dont know if I should wait till they launch a new controller.

Doff most probably is sleeping right now, so I'll take that.

You need to start makomk's bitstream (I confirm that the 140MH one works on all my boards that run twin_test flawlessly before) with two COM ports only (like you do for twin_test), since the board is treated as two Icarus combined. The only other thing you should take care when switching from twin_test to makomk's is to enable the two back FPGAs (see readme in the bitstream archive).

Good Luck!

Only 2 COM's as it uses the controller version 1.3. It's the same as the twin_test.bit but mining on 4 fpgas.

thank you.  Seeing  I will need 1.3 controller and I had issues with it  . I'll try with one  card and I will see
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.
July 30, 2012, 09:35:49 AM
I've got my 2 boards working nice and stable for 9 days now.
This is a massive improvement and all came from me moving over to Linux, Ubuntu to be exact.
It only runs of a usb thumb drive though, so I don't have much on there, unless it's really needed.

I am tempted to try the newer bitstreams, is using [virtualbox] programming tools the easiest option even though I am already on linux, or is their another way?
Activity: 397
Merit: 500
July 30, 2012, 08:58:27 AM
How many bitstreams are currently in development?

- Glasswalker is re-writing the Icarus-bitstream, main problem is JTAG noise and meeting the timing?!    YES
- Which bitstream is makomk working on? According to the filename, also some kind of Icarus-rewrite?   YES
- Is EP still working on a (from-scratch) bitstream or are they now waiting for Glasswalker to finish his work?  Don't know, Yohan?
- Is anyone working on making the TML-bitstream fully compatible with CM1?  YES, chrisp is working on it

Red means, not working/stable.
Green means working, stable and fastest.

Results tested with my 10 boards SN# 400+

Cheesy
donator
Activity: 543
July 30, 2012, 08:47:24 AM
How many bitstreams are currently in development?

- Glasswalker is re-writing the Icarus-bitstream, main problem is JTAG noise and meeting the timing?!
- Which bitstream is makomk working on? According to the filename, also some kind of Icarus-rewrite?
- Is EP still working on a (from-scratch) bitstream or are they now waiting for Glasswalker to finish his work?
- Is anyone working on making the TML-bitstream fully compatible with CM1?
Activity: 397
July 30, 2012, 07:59:15 AM
Unfortunately Ive never run in to that problem and don't have the coding knowledge to help fix that bug, however I did test 2.6.0 and got the makomk 140 bitstream working for the last 5 hours and its very stable.

ICA 0:                | 346.4/346.9Mh/s | A:723 R:0 HW:0 U:  4.00/m
ICA 1:                | 344.3/348.3Mh/s | A:704 R:1 HW:0 U:  3.90/m

Great numbers.

Doff when you are using makomk's  they show up as two ICA , but how much COM's are they using 2? 1 per ica, 4?

thank you.  

I'm thinking about moving into makomk's bitstream but I had some problems with 1.3 controller and  i dont know if I should wait till they launch a new controller.

Only 2 COM's as it uses the controller version 1.3. It's the same as the twin_test.bit but mining on 4 fpgas.
Activity: 686
Merit: 564
July 30, 2012, 07:49:19 AM
OK, thanks to some minor tweaks I've managed to create a bitstream that does actually run properly at 160 MHash/s. You can download the new set of bitstreams from http://www.makomk.com/~aidan/shortfin_icarus_cm1_20120729.zip - instructions are the same as for the previous set. Might release a mildly overclocked 170 MHash/s bitstream next.

Also, donations to 1CCorPPK8X6Px5iNxCBc5Eciw81iZPVBPh are welcome. I was actually holding off on replying to eberon's comment asking me to post a public donation address until I had good news to report; it just took a bit longer than expected.
donator
Activity: 919
Merit: 1000
July 30, 2012, 06:49:10 AM

thank you.  

I'm thinking about moving into makomk's bitstream but I had some problems with 1.3 controller and  i dont know if I should wait till they launch a new controller.

Doff most probably is sleeping right now, so I'll take that.

You need to start makomk's bitstream (I confirm that the 140MH one works on all my boards that run twin_test flawlessly before) with two COM ports only (like you do for twin_test), since the board is treated as two Icarus combined. The only other thing you should take care when switching from twin_test to makomk's is to enable the two back FPGAs (see readme in the bitstream archive).

Good Luck!
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
July 30, 2012, 06:17:35 AM
Unfortunately Ive never run in to that problem and don't have the coding knowledge to help fix that bug, however I did test 2.6.0 and got the makomk 140 bitstream working for the last 5 hours and its very stable.

ICA 0:                | 346.4/346.9Mh/s | A:723 R:0 HW:0 U:  4.00/m
ICA 1:                | 344.3/348.3Mh/s | A:704 R:1 HW:0 U:  3.90/m

Great numbers.

thank you.  

Activity: 327
July 29, 2012, 11:58:11 PM

ICA 0:                | 346.4/346.9Mh/s | A:723 R:0 HW:0 U:  4.00/m
ICA 1:                | 344.3/348.3Mh/s | A:704 R:1 HW:0 U:  3.90/m

Great numbers.

The Glasswalker 175 also works natively with 2.6.0 however its not a stable bitstream. I also was unable to get the Glasswalker 125 bitstream working at all, always fails golden nonce.

I can say I do prefer Cgminer to MPBM, lots more Debugging info that I can understand at any rate, API and fail-over, not sure why we mess with the MPBM but then again I don't make bitstreams so maybe its easier for testing purposes.

Keep up the great work guys.

Doff
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
July 29, 2012, 11:20:41 PM
If anyone can solve that one I'd be happy Smiley

The cause may be that there is some setting that sometimes needs to be reset on the serial/usb but I've no idea what it is.
i.e. it may be cgminer that needs to reset it (since I get a similar problem on my Icarus on rare occasions as mentioned below)

I have found that python can sometimes clear it.
Using this script (that I modified) you just type:
./usbtest.py /dev/ttyUSB0 icarus
(with the correct device name for your board)
http://pastebin.com/xAFP4wVY
(you may need to change the serial baud rate on line 39)

However, I've only had this problem when I pull the USB cable from my kids windows box (when testing) and then plug it into linux (and don't power cycle the Icarus)
And python doesn't always clear it, so I then power cycle to clear it.
Activity: 648
July 29, 2012, 02:35:58 PM
at what point does U.S. customs charge import fees? I ordered 9 boards and don't know if i'm going to get hit with a surprise tax.
donator
Activity: 919
July 29, 2012, 06:48:36 AM
any updates on latest bitstream? how close to "plug & play" 800MHs or better?

Not really close for me at the moment Sad

From 12 boards I tested, I can get around 50% hashing with makomk's 140MH bitstream. The other boards just fail to deliver shares. Since ebereon runs all his 10 boards (board serial numbers 400+) with this bitstream, it might be a problem of my early boards (# 55-128).

Similar results for Glasswalker's 175MH bitstream: worked on some boards, but not on others. I was not able to flash the 125MH one, the programmer always exits with verification errors indicating an SPI page remained unprogrammed. Again, this might be only my early boards, since in #cm1 people reported they had no similar issues.

The worst thing is, I can't isolate the 'bad' from the 'good' boards, since this is dependent on the used bitstream, i.e. some boards do well with makomk's but fail on Glasswalker's or vice-versa Sad
Activity: 810
July 29, 2012, 02:10:53 AM
any updates on latest bitstream? how close to "plug & play" 800MHs or better?
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
July 28, 2012, 03:37:21 PM
Third time I ask this but as my question is buried under pages of people testing new bitstreams and yohan didn't seem to notice it...

Is there any way to flash a controller bitstream from a Linux computer or any plan to allow it ? I don't know if compiling spiprog is possible, if a specific version or patch is needed to make it work (Windows users are advised to download their SPIprog.exe from Enterpoint for example). So I don't even know if hacking my way through a random spiprog source compilation would not make my boards pricey door stops.

@yohan, please advise.

I too want to know the answer of this.

+1

spiccioli
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
July 28, 2012, 03:36:23 PM
Third time I ask this but as my question is buried under pages of people testing new bitstreams and yohan didn't seem to notice it...

Is there any way to flash a controller bitstream from a Linux computer or any plan to allow it ? I don't know if compiling spiprog is possible, if a specific version or patch is needed to make it work (Windows users are advised to download their SPIprog.exe from Enterpoint for example). So I don't even know if hacking my way through a random spiprog source compilation would not make my boards pricey door stops.

@yohan, please advise.

I too want to know the answer of this.
Activity: 910
Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com
July 28, 2012, 01:53:59 PM
There is no rollback from the glasswalker controller via usb. Not atleast with the current instructions.

On a slightly more positive note, Im currently flashing in the latest bitstream glasswalker pushed out and should have something to report in an hour or so.

You can go from 1.3 to 1.4, and 1.4 to 1.3 you just need to toggle SW1 3, and SW6 6. To go to 1.4 you just toggle sw6 6, and to go back I think I needed both toggled. Either way try a combo of the two toggles and it should work, I was able to go back to 1.3 using the normal usb cable but had to figure out the combination it wanted.

I went and verified real fast, all you need is SW1 3 off, and SW6 all on and it should flash.
Everything you mentioned has been tried, there is no way to get out of the glasswalker controller.
The spiprog does not report a problem, but it finishes instantly, so I believe something is still going wrong. Yes, definetley it dosent say Erasing. Or programming nor do the dots .............. appear.

Make sure when you plug your USB into your windows machine that the Device Loads correctly in device manager.

You should see Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Cairnsmore1 JTAG
Cairnsmore1 PortA
Cairnsmore1 PortB
Cairnsmore1 SPI

If any of those are missing or they have a warning Icon over them they wont work. Check your cable, and try differnt USB ports.

Out of 8 ports I have when I log in to windows only 1 port works for the Cairnsmore1 so it took me a bit to find one it liked, no clue why but its a good reason why windows 7 frustrates me.

All of that checked out every time, clueless as to where the issue was but it's resolved for now. Also Im using my most reliable port to test this (usb3  works for me fopr some reason)
July 28, 2012, 01:36:02 PM
There is no rollback from the glasswalker controller via usb. Not atleast with the current instructions.

On a slightly more positive note, Im currently flashing in the latest bitstream glasswalker pushed out and should have something to report in an hour or so.

You can go from 1.3 to 1.4, and 1.4 to 1.3 you just need to toggle SW1 3, and SW6 6. To go to 1.4 you just toggle sw6 6, and to go back I think I needed both toggled. Either way try a combo of the two toggles and it should work, I was able to go back to 1.3 using the normal usb cable but had to figure out the combination it wanted.

I went and verified real fast, all you need is SW1 3 off, and SW6 all on and it should flash.
Everything you mentioned has been tried, there is no way to get out of the glasswalker controller.
The spiprog does not report a problem, but it finishes instantly, so I believe something is still going wrong. Yes, definetley it dosent say Erasing. Or programming nor do the dots .............. appear.

Make sure when you plug your USB into your windows machine that the Device Loads correctly in device manager.

You should see Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Cairnsmore1 JTAG
Cairnsmore1 PortA
Cairnsmore1 PortB
Cairnsmore1 SPI

If any of those are missing or they have a warning Icon over them they wont work. Check your cable, and try differnt USB ports.

Out of 8 ports I have when I log in to windows only 1 port works for the Cairnsmore1 so it took me a bit to find one it liked, no clue why but its a good reason why windows 7 frustrates me.

Activity: 910
Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com
July 28, 2012, 01:21:50 PM

[Edit] Attempt # 50ish and the flash goes trough without errors, I guess I just needed to cycle power ~10 times to luck out. Dipswitch settings: SW1 3 off, everything else on.
July 28, 2012, 11:02:21 AM

July 28, 2012, 10:59:39 AM
Anyone had any luck with the testing bitstream yet? I'm eager to hear if it was successful at all Smiley

Mine gave me port not open error on all 4 Glasswalker, but something tells me others will have more success, I honestly am starting to think this needs to be done with a jtag cable to be successful. I don't think the usb way works properly.

Id like to see the results Eb gets when he tries it, I bet it works.
Pages:
Jump to: