Pages:
Author

Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board - page 61. (Read 286370 times)

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
July 16, 2012, 08:18:40 PM
Possible CGminer Bug

We have got an intermittant internet today and we are having short periods when basically data isn't pass and we get timeouts. We have seen that in our big mining test reg, running on the same internet connection, that after such an outage that CGminer (V2.3.4) appears to stop scheduling work correctly to some or all of the stack of boards. It does continue to intermittantly schedule work and is not a total stoppage but hash rates appear to fall to less that half that expected. This does appear to be a  problem that a number of rig, and in particularly the bigger ones, are reporting. Once this happens there doen't seen to be any way to recover CGminer other than a complete restart.

Yohan,

you're using an "old" version of cgminer, please build one of the lastest 2.4.x or even 2.5.0 (I'm not sure 2.5.0 is as stable as 2.4.x) but 2.4.3 as a minimum version.

See also https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.968533

I'm using 2.4.3 (though on linux and with not so many boards) and I've never had the problem you're reporting.

spiccioli

Ive been using Cgminer 2.5.0 for the last 3 days and have had a consistent 2.6 U on each fpga for the last 3 days without interruption. I was having a problem with 2.4.3 where my Actual Icarus unit would shut off after about 12 hours, 2.5.0 seemed to fix that as well.

It is our plan to get Cairnsmore1 adopted into the official CGminer but we want to be in something of stable position. I think we are pretty much there now. I think we should look at 2.5.0 to seeif that is better and get that looked at in the next few days. What we are trying to avoid is unnecessarily changing when other things are changing as well. The reason for that is to minimise the risks of a support nightmare of changing several things together and something going badly wrong. That's a fairly normal approach on a project like this.

The problem, or bug, we saw was by sheer luck. If you have a rock solid internet connection you would not see it the same way we did. It just happens that our local area is getting internet improvements and we have been getting short interuptions on our service. These interruptions then lead to the drop of hashing rates. We have seen this happen under the same circunstances a number of times so we are pretty sure of the association.
Firstly: to state the obvious - if ANY miner cannot talk to the pool, yeah there is a good chance there will be problems ...

Secondly: seriously? ... cgminer has problems in an old version when your internet connection is shit ...
Is this supposed to be some revelation or something? Seriously? A 20pt font bitching about a bug in an old version? Seriously?

Anyway ...
What you guys did with cgminer was ONLY:
1) Take a now OLD version of it and change the Icarus Serial I/O speed to half it's value.
2) change the names it shows everywhere
(Then break the license by releasing it without source code until we complained about that)

What CGMINER does support is a proper working Icarus bitstream, which I guess I must have misread here somewhere that this was supposed to work on your hardware ...

Cgminer also includes code to support an Icarus bitstream that runs slower or faster that may or may not be perfect but I can certainly say that I have no high certainty since I've never seen any hardware from you guys (that isn't a REV3 Icarus) and don't ever expect to either Tongue
The only support I've had with that code is a few people (thanks to them) who have your board and came to the #cgminer IRC channel and I helped them configure it and got some feedback about it.

Reporting an OLD unrelated bug in your thread as an excuse to bitch about cgminer support ... that you have not bothered to do anything about ... seriously?

What's that well known comment with cgminer?    RTFM!
Or in this case the NEWS file.
There have been numerous changes to cgminer since Version 2.3.4 - April 25, 2012 (the NEWS file is now 413 lines longer since then)
... and quite a few are network/pool related ...

... and if the bug does still exist ... then report it with the current version in the right place like you know you should
I can explain the normal steps to deal with reporting bugs that I'm sure most people understand if that's something you need to learn about .............
Activity: 481
Merit: 502
July 16, 2012, 06:48:40 PM
Can you send us this as a support case with as much detail of your setup as possible.
Essay sent as requested Cheesy

Writing my essay now too Tongue

EDIT: essay sent. Eagerly awaiting your reply yohan...
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
July 16, 2012, 06:44:32 PM
Can you send us this as a support case with as much detail of your setup as possible.
Essay sent as requested Cheesy
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.
July 16, 2012, 06:03:39 PM
2.5 seems more stable right now, than the others, we shall see if it remains that way in the morning.
Activity: 327
July 16, 2012, 05:51:56 PM
Better yet, how about switching the priority to MPBM?

Which was intended from the beginning to be FPGA rather than GPU oriented.

We will look at other options but we don't really want to do that in a hurry unless we can't solve the CGminer? issues. To do so could open up a pile more of support issues to deal with and that would slow progress on all the new things we are working on and want to bring for you all to use. I think we will try CGminer 3.5.0 first and see where that takes us.

I think he meant 2.4.3, and 2.5.0 the current release on the cgminer thread is 2.5.0.
July 16, 2012, 05:42:48 PM
haha, I most definitely don't know what a rock solid internet connection is, I've just moved house and currently mining via my laptop which is tethering via my blackberry. I have a feeling my phone provider is rather unhappy with me right now. Cable broadband just 24 hours away, yay!
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
July 16, 2012, 05:42:06 PM

We will look at other options but we don't really want to do that in a hurry unless we can't solve the CGminer? issues. To do so could open up a pile more of support issues to deal with and that would slow progress on all the new things we are working on and want to bring for you all to use. I think we will try CGminer 32.5.0 first and see where that takes us.
July 16, 2012, 05:31:34 PM
Gonna have to get a support email submitted.

Everyone's success stories are depressing me and my two under-performing boards Sad

Do send us the info and we will do our best to sort it out.
July 16, 2012, 05:29:08 PM
Possible CGminer Bug

We have got an intermittant internet today and we are having short periods when basically data isn't pass and we get timeouts. We have seen that in our big mining test reg, running on the same internet connection, that after such an outage that CGminer (V2.3.4) appears to stop scheduling work correctly to some or all of the stack of boards. It does continue to intermittantly schedule work and is not a total stoppage but hash rates appear to fall to less that half that expected. This does appear to be a  problem that a number of rig, and in particularly the bigger ones, are reporting. Once this happens there doen't seen to be any way to recover CGminer other than a complete restart.

Yohan,

you're using an "old" version of cgminer, please build one of the lastest 2.4.x or even 2.5.0 (I'm not sure 2.5.0 is as stable as 2.4.x) but 2.4.3 as a minimum version.

I'm using 2.4.3 (though on linux and with not so many boards) and I've never had the problem you're reporting.

spiccioli

Ive been using Cgminer 2.5.0 for the last 3 days and have had a consistent 2.6 U on each fpga for the last 3 days without interruption. I was having a problem with 2.4.3 where my Actual Icarus unit would shut off after about 12 hours, 2.5.0 seemed to fix that as well.

It is our plan to get Cairnsmore1 adopted into the official CGminer but we want to be in something of stable position. I think we are pretty much there now. I think we should look at 2.5.0 to seeif that is better and get that looked at in the next few days. What we are trying to avoid is unnecessarily changing when other things are changing as well. The reason for that is to minimise the risks of a support nightmare of changing several things together and something going badly wrong. That's a fairly normal approach on a project like this.

The problem, or bug, we saw was by sheer luck. If you have a rock solid internet connection you would not see it the same way we did. It just happens that our local area is getting internet improvements and we have been getting short interuptions on our service. These interruptions then lead to the drop of hashing rates. We have seen this happen under the same circunstances a number of times so we are pretty sure of the association.
July 16, 2012, 05:08:13 PM
Had no luck getting both boards to mine in the same instance of CGminer so far, had to run one for each board.
Not that is a problem, since at the end of the day, it allows me to keep and eye on them, in case one decides to crash.

Out of curiosity I switched from using the cgminer source provided on the support page, to the cgminer that I usually use (3.43), which is more up to date, and it happily works with more than 1 board at once. Will try 3.50 soon, but will trial run this one first, see if it runs it any more stable.
July 16, 2012, 04:50:29 PM
Gonna have to get a support email submitted.

Everyone's success stories are depressing me and my two under-performing boards Sad
July 16, 2012, 03:00:43 PM
According to my pool I use, one of my boards is averaging (over 1 hour) 375 Mh/s and the other is 400 Mh/s.
Impressed so far.
Activity: 108
Merit: 10
July 16, 2012, 02:45:05 PM
I've been getting the same results as Doff.  Running with no issues lately, just eagerly awaiting the final bitstream. Smiley
July 16, 2012, 02:40:42 PM
Thank you, Doff.

And congratulations. I think you are getting far better than most have reported in this thread.

I am sincerely happy to hear your successful numbers.

--

Hmmm, ok, I've gone back and rethought and it looks like you're reporting about 370 MH/s. Which is in line with what others have reported. Guess I was just confused by the "per FPGA" statement.

Thank you for the clarification.
July 16, 2012, 02:27:40 PM
Ive been using Cgminer 2.5.0 for the last 3 days and have had a consistent 2.6 U on each fpga for the last 3 days without interruption. ...

Uh, what does that statement actually mean, please?

There are four FPGAs on the board. Are you getting 10.4 U (cgminer U) per board? Or are you getting 2.6 U per board? Or some other permutation?

Im getting 5.2 U combined on ave for the Twin_test Bitstream which is about = to 1 Icarus board. In Cgminer it would look like 2 Icarus units running at 2.6 U. Thats about the best you get currently for 1 Cairnsmore until they get their Bitstream out to us.
July 16, 2012, 02:22:55 PM
Ive been using Cgminer 2.5.0 for the last 3 days and have had a consistent 2.6 U on each fpga for the last 3 days without interruption. ...

Uh, what does that statement actually mean, please?

There are four FPGAs on the board. Are you getting 10.4 U (cgminer U) per board? Or are you getting 2.6 U per board? Or some other permutation?
July 16, 2012, 02:13:34 PM
Possible CGminer Bug

We have got an intermittant internet today and we are having short periods when basically data isn't pass and we get timeouts. We have seen that in our big mining test reg, running on the same internet connection, that after such an outage that CGminer (V2.3.4) appears to stop scheduling work correctly to some or all of the stack of boards. It does continue to intermittantly schedule work and is not a total stoppage but hash rates appear to fall to less that half that expected. This does appear to be a  problem that a number of rig, and in particularly the bigger ones, are reporting. Once this happens there doen't seen to be any way to recover CGminer other than a complete restart.

Yohan,

spiccioli

July 16, 2012, 02:07:14 PM
spiccioli, I can't argue with hands-on experience.

I'm so lazy I don't even have hardware to play with yet. Smiley

Merely waiting as fast as I can and reading about what I can't actually be doing.
July 16, 2012, 02:00:35 PM
Will there be any plan to work with the Con, or Kano to get the Cairnsmore supported in Cgminer instead of it showing as an icarus unit? I'm a bit against the Modular miner mainly because it seems like its not being worked on as much anymore. It would be nice if it showed up as a Cairnsmore in Cgminer and was specifically supported for the new bitstream.
July 16, 2012, 01:57:57 PM

Bizarrely, when I switched to MPBM I got approximately half the hashrate of that I was getting in cgminer.

That said, both of them are severely underperforming with the twin_test.bit.

(I get nowhere near 380Mh/sec/board)
Pages:
Jump to: