Pages:
Author

Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board - page 73. (Read 286370 times)

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com
July 04, 2012, 07:12:06 AM

As an experiment try taking out one or two of the board returning good results and see if that changes anything. Unpowered hubs do have some problems as any current taken will multiply up with the number of boards. It doesn't take much to overload an unpowered hub. Powered hubs are definately better and I would suggest this as a good thing to use for the short term

One other general issue with USB is that the way it timeslots data can mean that the USB can run out bandwidth on relatively low bandwidth applications e.g. serial coms with a relatively small number of boards. I would be surprised if 5 boards caused this issue but I am not an expert in USB protocol so I can't be more specific. It can be worth spreading your boards aroung your PCs ports. This isn't always a solution as an occasional PC has an internal hub for multiple ports which only actually has one USB controller but for most PCs this is a good way forward. Once we get the up/down function sorted out these potential USB problems should more or less dissappear.

Ok, I will try this a bit later, once I figure out which board it is, Would you care to comment on why the boards only work in usb3 ports for me ?
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
July 04, 2012, 06:46:17 AM
What do you think my issue here is:

3 Cairnsmores plugged in at an unpowered usb hub, all running the twintest bitstream and enterpoints cgminer for it. Windows seven, quad core, plenty of ram (it's a gaming pc).
5 first cores are pushing shares as is to be expected (0-4) But CM5 is doing less than a third of the shares of the other cores, with 0 rejects showing up at cgminer, whereas the other cores have a normal invalid rate (6-16 invalids at aroud 3300 shares hashed per core).

Im starting cgminer with the command: cgminer_twintest -o mint.bitminter.com:8332 -u ME -p MAHPASS --disable-gpu -S noauto -S\\.\COM22 -S \\.\COM23 -S \\.\COM26 -S \\.\COM27 -S \\.\COM30 -S \\.\COM31

If some relevant info is missing please just ask me.

As an experiment try taking out one or two of the board returning good results and see if that changes anything. Unpowered hubs do have some problems as any current taken will multiply up with the number of boards. It doesn't take much to overload an unpowered hub. Powered hubs are definately better and I would suggest this as a good thing to use for the short term

One other general issue with USB is that the way it timeslots data can mean that the USB can run out bandwidth on relatively low bandwidth applications e.g. serial coms with a relatively small number of boards. I would be surprised if 5 boards caused this issue but I am not an expert in USB protocol so I can't be more specific. It can be worth spreading your boards aroung your PCs ports. This isn't always a solution as an occasional PC has an internal hub for multiple ports which only actually has one USB controller but for most PCs this is a good way forward. Once we get the up/down function sorted out these potential USB problems should more or less dissappear.
July 04, 2012, 06:44:57 AM
surely this core has frozen.  if you quit cgminer and  try to re-execute the same comand. You'll get a COM error in that port..

If any core gets frozen, accepts stop raising too (in that core) and average hasing speed decrease

please answer with your feedback
No, it's not frozen, it keeps on hashing, just at the very low rate. It's been like this since the beginning.
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
July 04, 2012, 05:04:15 AM
surely this core has frozen.  if you quit cgminer and  try to re-execute the same comand. You'll get a COM error in that port..

If any core gets frozen, accepts stop raising too (in that core) and average hasing speed decrease

please answer with your feedback
July 04, 2012, 03:23:50 AM
What do you think my issue here is:

3 Cairnsmores plugged in at an unpowered usb hub, all running the twintest bitstream and enterpoints cgminer for it. Windows seven, quad core, plenty of ram (it's a gaming pc).
5 first cores are pushing shares as is to be expected (0-4) But CM5 is doing less than a third of the shares of the other cores, with 0 rejects showing up at cgminer, whereas the other cores have a normal invalid rate (6-16 invalids at aroud 3300 shares hashed per core).

Im starting cgminer with the command: cgminer_twintest -o mint.bitminter.com:8332 -u ME -p MAHPASS --disable-gpu -S noauto -S\\.\COM22 -S \\.\COM23 -S \\.\COM26 -S \\.\COM27 -S \\.\COM30 -S \\.\COM31

If some relevant info is missing please just ask me.
legendary
Activity: 1162
DiabloMiner author
July 04, 2012, 01:38:54 AM
first let me say I take anything that comes out of the *** camp w/ this much salt.

that being said, assuming they can deliver on even 20% of what they've promised, have you come up with/are thinking about anything similar to help the Enterpoint camp stay competitive?

Oh boy, here we go AGAIN...

I'm sure enterpoint will stay competitive with whatever other products are released.

This has been mentioned atleast three times already throughout the thread. Can we PLEASE not start this again? -.-

I think this is where I finish up this train of thought by saying 28nm running a Fury-like or TML-like firmware would be about half as dollar efficient as what BFL claims, and probably just as dollar efficient as what BFL will actually deliver. And, although yohan probably doesn't want to talk about upcoming products, I believe Enterpoint is already working on a 28nm board.
Activity: 327
Merit: 250
July 03, 2012, 09:19:20 PM
Hashing away at full twin_test speeds with the replacement board Enterpoint sent. Thank you very much that was truly an amazing turnaround and terrific customer service.

I'm very happy with the board and patiently waiting for any new bitstream updates.

Thanks again,

Doff
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
July 03, 2012, 05:43:54 PM
I know there are not too much free space on the PDB but what about adding in future versions 3 or 6 independant power switch ( one per pci-e o per 2 pci-e)  so you dont need to turn off the full array, if you have any problem.

We can put individual boards into standby and turn off various power supplies all potentially on the up/down structure so there isn't much mileage adding a lot of parts and complexity to the PDB. If anything I'd like to have current measurement so we could detect problems.
Any chance of making some power boards with screw connectors instead of the phoenix ones? You'd have a much wider audience and sell many more.
[/b]

Pheonix mating halves come with screw terminals. In fact there are a choice of the these and that was one of the reasons for us using this series. It's easy to make wiring looms without special tools. This also allows custom harnesses to suit individual rigs.

@Enterpoint Team & yohan:

Today i almost made world first in accidently destroying a cairnsmore1 board by putting in a wrong atx power supply cable (yeah call me stupid - i deserve it).

Seconds after i realized that some black smoke raised into the air over the board, i shut down the power supply.

When i took a closer look at the accident i realized that i just bought the worlds best fpga board for bitcoin mining available because all i had to do is put in a non-broken fuse from another cairnsmore1 board. It works perfectly again. WOW - just awesome! Thanks for bringing in the fuse into the design - that really safed me a board Smiley

I'll contact your sales - maybe you can supply me with a new fuse.

We can probably sort you out a fuse but if you want to look locally you can either buy it as a holder/fuse combo (sometimes easier to find) or the fuse itself. These parts are made by Littlefuse and the combo is part number R154010 (R154007 probably ok as well) and the individual fuse is 0453 010 (0453 008 or 0453 007 as well).

yohan,

any news on updated FPGA firmware able to use all four FPGAs per board?

My boards are hashing nicely but those red/yellow leds always on (and which remind me the Spanish flag Cheesy) make me feel a little sad Smiley

spiccioli

It's still moving forward. It's a piece of string task to a certain extent and until it is finished it's not. There isn't anything in the middle.

Activity: 648
Merit: 500
July 03, 2012, 04:40:24 PM
first let me say I take anything that comes out of the *** camp w/ this much salt.

that being said, assuming they can deliver on even 20% of what they've promised, have you come up with/are thinking about anything similar to help the Enterpoint camp stay competitive?

I'm sure enterpoint will stay competitive with whatever other products are released.

This has been mentioned atleast three times already throughout the thread. Can we PLEASE not start this again? -.-

Fair enough, This should have been an email.
Activity: 397
July 03, 2012, 02:37:59 PM

+1

I could not answer better  Roll Eyes
Activity: 481
Merit: 502
July 03, 2012, 02:34:13 PM

Activity: 648
July 03, 2012, 02:11:06 PM

mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
July 03, 2012, 02:00:27 PM
Power Distribution Board for Cairnsmore1 is now available. Price is GBP £62 / USD $100 / 81€ + tax (if applies).

What are these 3 large resistors used for?
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
July 03, 2012, 01:31:12 PM
yohan,

any news on updated FPGA firmware able to use all four FPGAs per board?

My boards are hashing nicely but those red/yellow leds always on (and which remind me the Spanish flag Cheesy) make me feel a little sad Smiley

spiccioli
Activity: 504
July 03, 2012, 01:11:39 PM
+5 more internets to Enterpoint for fuses on board!
July 03, 2012, 01:10:36 PM

Today i almost made world first in accidently destroying a cairnsmore1 board by putting in a wrong atx power supply cable (yeah call me stupid - i deserve it).

Seconds after i realized that some black smoke raised into the air over the board, i shut down the power supply.

When i took a closer look at the accident i realized that i just bought the worlds best fpga board for bitcoin mining available because all i had to do is put in a non-broken fuse from another cairnsmore1 board. It works perfectly again. WOW - just awesome! Thanks for bringing in the fuse into the design - that really safed me a board Smiley

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/529869/SMD-SSQ-F-10-A

Bulk rates available Smiley.

<3 Danke!
Activity: 176
July 03, 2012, 01:09:38 PM

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/529869/SMD-SSQ-F-10-A

Bulk rates available Smiley.
July 03, 2012, 01:05:38 PM

by putting in a wrong atx power supply cable

EPS has the same rounded squared position pins?¿?¿  than pci-e?            or I'm missing another power cable
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
July 03, 2012, 12:41:21 PM
Any chance of making some power boards with screw connectors instead of the phoenix ones? You'd have a much wider audience and sell many more.
I think the Phoenix connectors have a screw terminal option.
July 03, 2012, 12:38:08 PM

Pages:
Jump to: