Pages:
Author

Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board - page 75. (Read 286370 times)

legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
July 02, 2012, 05:02:49 PM
--icarus-timing

I've seen serveral numbers, in this thread, for the --icarus-timing parameter, but most of them seem wrong when used with twin_test.bit.

Cgminer sees each hashing FPGA as a full icarus board; a real icarus board splits the nonce range between the two FPGAs it has onboard, so, since in our case only one FPGA in each pair is active, our FPGAs are doing just half of the nonce range, the other half is thrown away (or sent to the disabled FPGA, I don't know).

Given that twin_test.bit hashes at 190MH/s every hash takes 1s/190MH or 5.2632 ns. so this is the first number.

How long does it take to scan the "full" nonce range? 4GH / 2 (because half nonce range is not hashed) / 190MH/s or 11.3 seconds.

So, the second number should be 112, I've started mine with

Code:
--icarus-timining 5.2632=111 

I've used 111 to be on the safe side.

Sice I've started it this way the yellow led is always off, so FPGA utilization is full, but now the board speed is around 210-230 MH/s on cgminer with my pool reporting an hashing speed of 185 MH/s.

spiccioli

legendary
nec sine labore
July 02, 2012, 04:12:17 PM
This works, but it's saying that utf8 is not a reccomended filesystem as it will be case sensitive, In hopes of getting to the how-to eventually I would like one of you mighty wizards of linux to post a spell that specifies a filesystem that wont be case sensitive.

Isoviki,

it is just a warning, you only have to read from it so it should work.

You write the usb key from windows, then attach it to VirtualBox and do the mount spell from inside VirtualBox and then read from it.

spiccioli
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com
July 02, 2012, 02:30:50 PM
Neither of the cgminer windows builds manages to even start up.  They are complaning about libcurl.dll missing.
[edit]
..Ok so Im going with ebereons dirty version, proceeding to flashing in the twintest, following the instructions in the pdf untill: Verify that the JTAG Device chain can be accessed as follows:
Type: xc3sprog –c cm1 –j
All 4 Array devices should be visible as above.

There not, something is wrong. Please update the guide to include what to do.Disregard this.
And whilst Yohan will undoubtably relativley soon get that done, some kind soul could point me in to the right direction. I apologize if this bit has hallready been covered in the thread, I assure you I have read it several times, but in my mind it's a swirling vortex of chaos atm and a real how-to needs to emerge.
[edit2]
Apparrentley I unchecked the device in virtualbox, it was allready checked and I removed the checkmark.

edit3
The guide says "Mount the USB Device as follows:
Type: mount –t auto /dev/sdb /mnt "
This results in "mount: you must specify the filesystem type"

So, wtf do I do now... Enterpoint really needs to sort these kinks out, no point in making a guide if the odds of getting something done with it are this bad.
Looks like this is going to be a long night, but I wont be quitting untill I have atleast one valid submitted share Smiley
[edit4]
When I go to mount the USB drive in VirtualBox and use the command:

mount -t auto /dev/sdb /mnt

it returns:

mount: you must specify the file system type.

Not a linux guy so I'm sure this is supremely noobish.

Pipesnake,

it should be

mount -t auto /dev/sdb1 /mnt

which means mount the first partition of your device sdb.

then a

ls -l /mnt

should show you the content of your device (usb key).

spiccioli

Ok found the usefull bit in the thread, after quite some browsing.. we really need to organize a how to, If I get this working Im propably going to start a separate thread where we can work on the how to. I know it's not much but this is something my skillset allows me to contribute.
[edit5]
This works, but it's saying that utf8 is not a reccomended filesystem as it will be case sensitive, In hopes of getting to the how-to eventually I would like one of you mighty wizards of linux to post a spell that specifies a filesystem that wont be case sensitive.
[edit6]
"Type:
xc3sprog –c cm1 –p 0 –I xc6lx150.bit shipping_test.bit "  Im trying to do the permanent flash, typing this yields me a screen full of options about a software I know nothing about, of which I understand only a part of. Srsly, am I to expect a failure of some sort at every step of following your guide ?
[edit7]
Some browsing again and found this: "I have found MY problem

I don't know if it fixes your's also.

FIRST: Turn off the unit! Set the dip switches to the shipping configuration!
If you turn on the unit with other dip settings, the unit will not work! It will not work, no matter what you do.
Shipping configuration 50MHz:
SW1/6 all on
SW2 all on
SW3 134 on, 2 off
SW4 134 on, 2 off
SW5 all on"

I've now retried with 2 different swich settings, one from a pdf, one from an image in this thread. Atm it would be usefull for me to know am I even looking at an dip-swich issue here ? ...and I did power off the board in between.
[Edit8]
Yohan the capital I in your pdf in the "Type: xc3sprog –c cm1 –p 0 –I xc6lx150.bit shipping_test.bit " looks like a lowercase L
Figuring this out gets me to a point where the response from xc3sprog is :
Using libftdi,
JEDEC: ff ff 0xff 0xff
unknown JEDEC manufacturer: ff
ISF Bitfile propably not loaded

This response is virtually instant so it's safe to say it's not working. Once again I would like input on what I am doing wrong ?

On another note, I tried running the ebereons dirty version of cgminer with the shipping bitstream, but got a response (something like) cannot mine, all devices disabled. Is this because I have virtualbox open and the device in use there, or am I looking at something different here ?
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
July 02, 2012, 02:02:54 PM
after about 24 hours one com port turn off according cgminer ( the one a have labeled as "malo" (bad). temp issue??  (its the lowest board)

turning off and on the boards, didnt solve anything. I had to uninstall both usb hubs and install them  after a reboot. This time all installed com ports were the 2 last of 4, I meant (22,23 26,27 30,31....... 67,68) usb issue??  ..( its the first time i get that conf) are you getting ordered coms??

looking forward to use up/down cables to eliminate usb factor.

I'm guessing all of you are having usb problems (ICAS off on cgminer) havent you?

Activity: 54
Merit: 0
July 02, 2012, 12:46:21 PM

Is it possible to have the schematics or pinout publicly documented?  I'd love to use the board for some other bitstream uses and it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

The chip pinout was intended to be a direct copy of Icarus which is publicly documented. ngzhang may have poisoned it though as he only published the hardware design after pressure from those who wrote his bitstream for free. It's still not clear whether the "coms error" problem was introduced when copying Icarus or whether it was in the public Icarus design.
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
July 02, 2012, 12:30:14 PM
Hello,

Please tell me which FPGA pin is used for the primary clock input and what frequency that clock input runs at.

Please email me the answer; I don't read this thread.
@eldentyrell: thanks for taking a look in here  Cheesy

@yohan: please give eldentyrell that information!

Details sent.

Is it possible to have the schematics or pinout publicly documented?  I'd love to use the board for some other bitstream uses and it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
July 02, 2012, 10:48:42 AM

I'm starting to think (I'm thinking loud here Smiley) that the --icarus-timing parameter can be omitted without problems (I'm not using it) at least in the initial phase of testing.

spiccioli

I've only used it at the begining and seeing that speed was showing weirdy with and without it  I have not used it ever again.

yohan,

I'd say powered usb hubs are a must, I cannot attach more than three boards to my pc if not through a powered usb hub (if I try all kind of problems happen to the point that the whole pc freezes - btw, it's not a PC but an HP thin client, this could be part of my problem).

How much power (max power) does the board take from the usb port?

spiccioli.

I'm using two http://www.soyntec.com/en-en/item/nexoos_395_black and they are unpowered because i had problems trying to connect them at the same time.   Maybe it was because the lots of other (wireless keyboard and mouse, bluetooth...) usb devices connected. So it seems no power is needed for me.

now i have only 6 cairnsmore1 pluged on each usb hub and they are working from yesterday without any problem

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/2030/sinttuloqt.jpg

PS: I'd try  not to plug other devices to the usb hub where cm1's are plugged.
legendary
nec sine labore
July 02, 2012, 10:23:35 AM

I'm starting to think (I'm thinking loud here Smiley) that the --icarus-timing parameter can be omitted without problems (I'm not using it) at least in the initial phase of testing.

Running without it makes cgminer request more work from the pool (not a real problem on p2pool which already has a 10 seconds on average share time) and throw away part of every getwork without hashing it.

Throwing away a part of a getwork does no harm to one's expected payouts.

But, in my tests, it works a lot better and hashing FPGAs have the yellow led always off, which means that they hash continously.

Every time the yellow led shines the FPGA is not hashing and this lowers the hashing speed reported by pools.

spiccioli
legendary
nec sine labore
July 02, 2012, 10:14:59 AM
Ok a couple of things we have observed partially from all your comments and things we have see here:

First thing is on Linux machines there may be a problem with USB3 ports. We think that might be a Linux driver problem.

Powering up the 12V supply to your Cairnsmore1 before plugging in USB may help as will a reasonable power USB hub. We think there is an inital surge that in some PCs upsets the host controller. With the 12V powered first the on-board regulator supplies the power rather than a big impluse demand on the USB. A powered USB hub shields the host from the main part of the inital surge which is why it helps. Power hubs can have different rating but if sepcs are available go for one with 500mA capability, or better, on each port.

yohan,

I'd say powered usb hubs are a must, I cannot attach more than three boards to my pc if not through a powered usb hub (if I try all kind of problems happen to the point that the whole pc freezes - btw, it's not a PC but an HP thin client, this could be part of my problem).

How much power (max power) does the board take from the usb port?

spiccioli.
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
July 02, 2012, 07:17:40 AM
Ok a couple of things we have observed partially from all your comments and things we have see here:

First thing is on Linux machines there may be a problem with USB3 ports. We think that might be a Linux driver problem.

Powering up the 12V supply to your Cairnsmore1 before plugging in USB may help as will a reasonable power USB hub. We think there is an inital surge that in some PCs upsets the host controller. With the 12V powered first the on-board regulator supplies the power rather than a big impluse demand on the USB. A powered USB hub shields the host from the main part of the inital surge which is why it helps. Power hubs can have different rating but if sepcs are available go for one with 500mA capability, or better, on each port.

Activity: 462
Merit: 251
July 02, 2012, 03:33:30 AM
Hello,

Please tell me which FPGA pin is used for the primary clock input and what frequency that clock input runs at.

Details sent.
Activity: 556
Merit: 500
July 02, 2012, 03:22:52 AM
oddly for me to flash my spi I had to have all switches down on SW1 and SW6. Just for some input.
Activity: 397
July 01, 2012, 09:22:22 PM
Hello,

hm
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
July 01, 2012, 09:21:30 PM
Sorry, I didn't have the same problems as you, so my tests probably won't help you.
I was still using the first released cgminer from enterpoint (2012-06-14/15).
your dirty cgminer just stopped solving shares, and orange leds are on. I'll abort it now and test enterpoints newer cgminer.
have a good night.
July 01, 2012, 09:19:49 PM
Update on my hashrate now:
1 hour average = 166Mh/s (SW6#1 on, with my dirty cgminer - nothing else is working except shipping bitstream at 76Mh/s)
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
felonious vagrancy, personified
July 01, 2012, 09:17:36 PM
Hello,

July 01, 2012, 09:02:53 PM
Is there someone with the same behavor? If you want to test with my modified cgminer and SW6 1 on? Here is the link to the windows binary and the source -> http://www.wuala.com/ebereon/Shared/bitcoin/cgminer/ (only icarus support is compiled in!)
my results after quick and superficial test:
  • enterpoints cgminer only works when SW6#1 is on.
  • ebereons cgminer with or without --icarus-timing=short only works when SW6#1 is on.
  • SW6#1=off does not work for enterpoints cgminer and ebereons cgminer.
  • ebereons cgminer with --icarus-timing=short seems to hash between 120 and 190Mh/s total for the last 30 minutes. tomorrow evening I can give more hash rate averages.

enterpoint have 2 cgminers.
  • cgminer_shipping_build.exe (57600 baud, very old 2.3.4 and without --icarus-timing option)
  • cgminer_twintest.exe (115200 baud, very old 2.3.4 and without --icarus-timing option)

SW6#1 on = 57600 baud
SW6#1 off = 115200 baud

My dirty cgminer is like the enterpoints "cgminer_shipping_build.exe" but from the actual git 2.4.4 with --icarus-timing option. So you need to set the switch SW6#1 on = 57600 baud! It's only for those with problems like me.

I wonder if high quality usb cables make a difference to cheap chinese usb cables in terms of hash rate or other things? I know that some USB printers are very picky with usb cables. and which type of usb cable is the one included?

I tested 5 different usb cables, with and without powered hub. No changes on the behavor here.
hm
July 01, 2012, 08:53:13 PM
Is there someone with the same behavor? If you want to test with my modified cgminer and SW6 1 on? Here is the link to the windows binary and the source -> http://www.wuala.com/ebereon/Shared/bitcoin/cgminer/ (only icarus support is compiled in!)
my results after quick and superficial test:
  • enterpoints cgminer only works when SW6#1 is on.
  • ebereons cgminer with or without --icarus-timing=short only works when SW6#1 is on.
  • SW6#1=off does not work for enterpoints cgminer and ebereons cgminer.
  • ebereons cgminer with --icarus-timing=short seems to hash between 120 and 190Mh/s total for the last 30 minutes. tomorrow evening I can give more hash rate averages.

I wonder if high quality usb cables make a difference to cheap chinese usb cables in terms of hash rate or other things? I know that some USB printers are very picky with usb cables. and which type of usb cable is the one included?

Have to sleep now for some hours ... tomorrow is the first day on my new job. Smiley
July 01, 2012, 07:05:06 PM
Update to my board #62-0015:
  • successfully flashed controller firmware version 1.1 (some days ago)
  • successfully flashed twin_test to FPGA0 and 3 permanently
  • Switch settings for twin_test.bit
  • mining with enterpoints cgminer is not working, only 10-20 shares, then it stops
  • LED showing the first 10-20 shares: the orange turn off when red flashes on job, green flashes once when share is found
  • LED showing after 10-20 shares: the orange turn off when red flashes on job, orange turn on again after 0.1 - 1 second, no green and no more shares
  • same on cgminer 2.4.3 and mpbm and bfgminer 2.4.3

I tested futher with SW6 1 on (57600 baud). This is also the fpga frequency, I tested it with my modified cgminer 2.4.4 with changed the baud rate in the icarus driver to 57600 and then i used the --icarus-timing short. It changed the timing to the dubble as when i used 115200 baud rate on the cgminer 2.4.3 (115200 baud). So it should now operate at ~ 190Mh/s.

• LED showing on my mod. cgminer: the orange turn off when red flashes on job, green flashes once when share is found
  • only from time to time the orange led is turn on in the middle of jobprocessing, but turn off again on new job(red flashing)

This let me more think on a frequency problem with my board, but why it was working better earlier (some days ago)? Now I can do anything but I don't get my board working with 115200 baud and 380Mh/s again as befor? Even with the temporary mode  Angry

hm
July 01, 2012, 02:55:52 PM
thank you, ebereon, for finding the bug in enterpoints documentation.

Board #62-0017 status:
  • successfully flashed firmware version 1.1
  • successfully flashed twin_test to all FPGAs permanently
  • mining with enterpoints cgminer release on eligius pool, started 17:30 UTC (~1h ago)
  • both "CM 0 thread 0" and "CM 1 thread 1" are hashing
  • eligius  "15 minutes average": 17:45 ~140MH/s, 18:00 ~120MH/s, 18:15 ~160MH/s, 18:30 ~205MH/s, 18:45 ~175MH/s

I'm curious if the average will be at around 380MH/s in some hours.
Looking at the few averages since I started hashing, I would expect around 190MH/s.
Wouldn't this be too low for twin_test bitstream?
OTOH, perhaps I just have to keep hashing a day or so to get more luck and better averages.
Pages:
Jump to: