Pages:
Author

Topic: Can anyone post an exhaustive list of bad things Bitcoin is doing to this world? - page 2. (Read 6154 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust
every post here is talking how good btc is and how it is superior to other systems.

what are some disadvantages and weaknesses and bad effects bitcoin cause on this world and our society, financially/economically/socially/technically/environmentally/etc, that even the most die hard btc fanatic cannot deny?

I can't think of a single example, can you?

it is enabling criminals/terrorists/pedophiles/drug dealers/scammers/etc to acquire/manage/launder their blood-soaked money much easier and to continue their act, for one.

as for the thread, no one yet has the courage to admit to the truth that bitcoin causes harm as well as benefit.

everything has good side and bad side - bitcoin is no exception.

90%+ of the criminals/terrorists/pedophiles/drug dealers/scammers/etc are still using fiat.. to convert from fiat to BTC, it leaves trace.. all those criminals/terrorists/pedophiles/drug dealers/scammers/etc using BTC would be much more tracable than now, as they tend to use fiat/gold, wich is less efficient, but less tracable..  IMO, BTC is'nt a free ride for those criminals/terrorists/pedophiles/drug dealers/scammers/etc

Unfortunately , this is not the case for kidnappers and extortionist , and in case of bribery.

1) Kidnapping , most of them demand money (cash) , and thus they make themselves vulnerable while getting the amount and while holding the money (can be marked , can be traced).
With bitcoin they can ask for those money to be transferred online , and even if they are caught , how can you prove that somebody is the owner of the address?
It this case you have to admit it bitcoin simplifies a lot the ransom demands.

2) lets assume another FUD scenario
You came home late , a black car pulls over , some people take you to a deserted building , hit you a few times with a hammers over your fingers till they are turned to mincemeat and demand your private keys.
Even the sha1024 won't help you. And in this case they will get ALL your money. (this theory is for people dropping fiat money and using only bitcoin).
Now , you go to the police and....you have to prove that they took your money and that those addresses were yours , and the police will have to prove that the thief got your money.
With current systems , is a bit troublesome to get all the money somebody owns in a a few seconds , banks got limits , cards got limits etc. bitcoin doesn't have those

3) Bribery
As my country is leading the UE in this field..
A politician (i'm not saying a corrupt one , in my country all of them take bribes Smiley) , will not have to ask for money , goods or anything traceable. When they talk about the bribery he will just have to drop a piece of paper with a bitcoin address. Now.... prove to me that he is the owner of it , and that he got the bribe.
Plus , in most of the cases , the money used in the undercover mission will be lost forever Smiley))

And there are mixing services and there are localbitcoins , not even talking about the projects like darkwallet.

Activity: 183
Merit: 100
Bitcoin is making me fat from all the fine Dinning BTC has paid for.  Wink
Activity: 291
Merit: 250
Grossly disproportionate rewards to a small community of self selecting early adopters.

Is there any other way to start a cryptocurrency?

Bitcoin uses "EaseOut".

Is better/possible use an "EaseInEaseOut" curve? Any Altcoins tried it yet?

Look to me Bitcoin use an EaseinEaseOut
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Controlled_supply
Activity: 476
Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm
every post here is talking how good btc is and how it is superior to other systems.

what are some disadvantages and weaknesses and bad effects bitcoin cause on this world and our society, financially/economically/socially/technically/environmentally/etc, that even the most die hard btc fanatic cannot deny?

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Real wrath of God type stuff.  A disaster of biblical proportions.

Seriously if you don't like Bitcoin - don't use it. Smiley
Activity: 980
Merit: 500
FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]
Grossly disproportionate rewards to a small community of self selecting early adopters.

Bitcoin uses "EaseOut".

With 5 exchanges with vast amounts of this coin, and which buy and sell for a FIXED price. If people want to buy/sell outside of those exchanges for different price it's their right to do so.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030
Twitter @realmicroguy

There are no disadvantages, weaknesses, or bad effects. IMO.
Activity: 518
Manateeeeeeees
The use of electrical power to secure the network, and an increase in doing so fueled by the greed of miners (I'm one of them).  The calculations completed have no intrinsic value - they're just a means to the end of securing the network.  As time goes on, if bitcoin continues to succeed, power consumption will continue increasing.

IMO, Bitcoin use far less, order of magnitude less power than banks paiement system / network / servers

I bet diiff can go to several billions and Bitcoin will still uses a lot less power than the actual fiat/credit system/network

Well, it will be at several billion some time next year, and it will continue growing after that with no sign of stopping if the price keeps up.  We'll just have to see what happens - many things are possible.  It is a consideration and a downside (that the electricity is just wasted), but not a major one.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Oh yeah, Satoshi should really have started an IPO and sold Bitcoins at an initial price of $45/BTC, like what Twitter just did, he shouldn't have allowed the early adopters to get them nearly for free, right.
Activity: 336

Early adopter are those how were looking/searching for alternative to the fiat currencies, and they took big risk, have vision and strong hands..  This is ok, they have the merit to own what they own.

What big risk?

Running the Bitcoin client software on computers they already owned?
Activity: 412
Making people sitting up from sleep in the night from time to time, worrying that their wallets protection systems are not meticulous enough, no more the blissful "peace of mind" they had when they used to put their money in the custody of good old trustworthy bankers.

This issue will be solved in time when banks start offering insured bitcoin savings accounts. That way, people who are worried by the prospect of having to secure their own assets can offload this responsibility to the bank. Others will secure their bitcoins themselves as they have always done.
Activity: 316
Merit: 287

Bitcoin uses "EaseOut".

Look to me Bitcoin use an EaseinEaseOut
legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

Less focus should be on price, want to be an early adopter ? Buy Litecoin....Not interested ? People will buy Bitcoin when the price is much much higher who wouldn't have touched it as an "early adopter" what on earth is Bitcoin?, what am I going to do with that? It's stupid? Etc. etc. etc. NO the focus should be on its utility it's strength as a peer to peer payment system, got a small online business ? Start accepting Bitcoin for your goods and services unsure about price volatility ? Use bit pay and convert to fiat straight away.

Who's an early adopter? If Bitcoin expands further and continues to gain momentum then early adopter could be being added for the next 5-10 years.

Many early adopters are the very ones that are not concerned about price, they were building services and infrastructure just as they continue to do now even when the price fell from $30- $2.00

You sold your bitcoins a while ago and gave the proceeds to charity, I can imagine your frustrated for those charities in that you could have donated more had you sold today? Why not focus your energies towards Bitcoin related charities etc. or try and get some of your local charities to accept Bitcoin, you sold your bitcoins but your still here on the forum, I'm sure the Bitcoin community welcomes all whether a person has 1000btc or 0.0001 btc
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Bitcoins make babies cry.

In all seriousness, its current value attracts wallet snatchers and scammers. No surprises there i guess.  Lips sealed
legendary
Activity: 1002
Bitcoin

I can't think of a single example, can you?

it is enabling criminals/terrorists/pedophiles/drug dealers/scammers/etc to acquire/manage/launder their blood-soaked money much easier and to continue their act, for one.

as for the thread, no one yet has the courage to admit to the truth that bitcoin causes harm as well as benefit.

everything has good side and bad side - bitcoin is no exception.

90%+ of the criminals/terrorists/pedophiles/drug dealers/scammers/etc are still using fiat.. to convert from fiat to BTC, it leaves trace.. all those criminals/terrorists/pedophiles/drug dealers/scammers/etc using BTC would be much more tracable than now, as they tend to use fiat/gold, wich is less efficient, but less tracable..  IMO, BTC is'nt a free ride for those criminals/terrorists/pedophiles/drug dealers/scammers/etc
legendary
Bitcoin
The use of electrical power to secure the network, and an increase in doing so fueled by the greed of miners (I'm one of them).  The calculations completed have no intrinsic value - they're just a means to the end of securing the network.  As time goes on, if bitcoin continues to succeed, power consumption will continue increasing.

IMO, Bitcoin use far less, order of magnitude less power than banks paiement system / network / servers

I bet diiff can go to several billions and Bitcoin will still uses a lot less power than the actual fiat/credit system/network
legendary
Bitcoin
Making people sitting up from sleep in the night from time to time, worrying that their wallets protection systems are not meticulous enough, no more the blissful "peace of mind" they had when they used to put their money in the custody of good old trustworthy bankers.

Just create a paper wallet and sleep well !
legendary
Bitcoin
Threatening to undermine the status quo and to endanger some species such as bankers and politicians.

This is'nt bad, it is in the "good things" list !
legendary
Bitcoin

Early adopter are those how were looking/searching for alternative to the fiat currencies, and they took big risk, have vision and strong hands..  This is ok, they have the merit to own what they own.
Activity: 931

Bitcoin uses "EaseOut".

legendary
Activity: 4060
Merit: 1303
Making it a lot easier to launder money...

And the wheel makes it easier to haul cash (and gold and silver) around to someone to trade for other assets.  Tools are neutral.  Likewise, as someone said above, free, voluntary exchange should be free.
Pages:
Jump to: