Pages:
Author

Topic: Can anyone post an exhaustive list of bad things Bitcoin is doing to this world? - page 3. (Read 6154 times)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10
Financial privacy is compromised due to the traceability of the blockchain.

While you can't immediately tell which address belongs to which person/entity, transactions that you participate in allow you to review details of someone else's financial history.

For example, if you receive your salary in Bitcoin then send me that $20 you owe me, I can follow the funds used in that transaction to find your salary.

Another example, if I give you $50 for something, I can then see where you send that coin. If I recognize the addresses (or can look them up elsewhere) I know exactly what you're buying.

So… Bitcoin is hurting our financial privacy.

There are methods to mitigate this somewhat (use more addresses, split up large transactions into multiple smaller ones) but they require special effort. Most people just send/receive.
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
My quite exhaustive list, for now:

I'll add other points if more will come to mind.
Feel free to correct the ones you disagree, thanks.

EDIT: added point 11.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Grossly disproportionate rewards to a small community of self selecting early adopters.
I remember hearing this argument when bitcoin hit $1.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin has several negative aspects.  Most have been mentioned already.  But the important thing to keep in mind is that most of these negative aspects are far *less negative* than the system it replaces.
Activity: 336
Merit: 10
every post here is talking how good btc is and how it is superior to other systems.

what are some disadvantages and weaknesses and bad effects bitcoin cause on this world and our society, financially/economically/socially/technically/environmentally/etc, that even the most die hard btc fanatic cannot deny?

I can't think of a single example, can you?

it is enabling criminals/terrorists/pedophiles/drug dealers/scammers/etc to acquire/manage/launder their blood-soaked money much easier and to continue their act, for one.

as for the thread, no one yet has the courage to admit to the truth that bitcoin causes harm as well as benefit.

everything has good side and bad side - bitcoin is no exception.
Merit: 250
Grossly disproportionate rewards to a small community of self selecting early adopters.

I would add: Grossly disproportionate punishment of a few trolls who sold all their bitcoin at $12 and still can't get over it. Grin

Bzzt.

Read my posting history. I cashed out all my Bitcoins and funnelled the money to charitable causes. I was interested in Bitcoin because as a currency, but the whole ethos has been ruined by speculators.
Activity: 189
Merit: 100
You are here ---------> but you're not all there.
every post here is talking how good btc is and how it is superior to other systems.

what are some disadvantages and weaknesses and bad effects bitcoin cause on this world and our society, financially/economically/socially/technically/environmentally/etc, that even the most die hard btc fanatic cannot deny?

I can't think of a single example, can you?
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Most valid point among others in this thread. Although people tend to waste more electricity on other useless thing, mining sha256 or scrypt makes up for 0.0000000000000001% of wasted power in the world

Exactly. Think about how much banks and banking infrastructure costs to maintain. Noone is bothered by that.
Activity: 980
Merit: 500
FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]
The use of electrical power to secure the network, and an increase in doing so fueled by the greed of miners (I'm one of them).  The calculations completed have no intrinsic value - they're just a means to the end of securing the network.  As time goes on, if bitcoin continues to succeed, power consumption will continue increasing.

Most valid point among others in this thread. Although people tend to waste more electricity on other useless thing, mining sha256 or scrypt makes up for 0.0000000000000001% of wasted power in the world
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
The use of electrical power to secure the network, and an increase in doing so fueled by the greed of miners (I'm one of them).  The calculations completed have no intrinsic value - they're just a means to the end of securing the network.  As time goes on, if bitcoin continues to succeed, power consumption will continue increasing.

Except that for many miners (like me), power usage hit a peak and is now on the way down even with increasing GH as I replace older less efficient miners with ASICS. 
legendary
Activity: 2270
Merit: 1363
Nice try, Sunshine Press.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
Making it a lot easier to launder money...
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

So did the wheel.

Wheels subsequent to the first one got easier to make. Had we applied a Bitcoin style model at this point wheels would be so difficult to produce that people would have to lease them off those that already have them.

Creating more wheels didn't make all the wheels stronger.

But, the wheels would have been stronger if all the wheel makers joined a pool.

Unless a wheel pool had more than 51% of the wheels.

Wheel makers are a smart lot and would never let such a thing happen. They would simply switch pools.

Activity: 504
WTF???

So did the wheel.

Wheels subsequent to the first one got easier to make. Had we applied a Bitcoin style model at this point wheels would be so difficult to produce that people would have to lease them off those that already have them.

Unless a wheel pool had more than 51% of the wheels.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

So did the wheel.

Activity: 504
WTF???
The electricity used to protect the network is preventing a global mini ice age from happening. If global nuclear war were to break out, bitcoin would keep the planet from freezing.

So did the wheel.

Activity: 358

So did the wheel.

^^ best comment of 2013  Grin
Activity: 358

I would add: Grossly disproportionate punishment of a few trolls who sold all their bitcoin at $12 and still can't get over it. Grin
Activity: 931
Making people angry because they were fooled the whole time.
Pages:
Jump to: