Pages:
Author

Topic: Can bitcoin survive without the Internet? - page 3. (Read 10943 times)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0
October 01, 2014, 11:37:58 AM
No.. Of course not. Bitcoin was made thru internet and it needs internet to live.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
September 18, 2014, 04:46:04 PM
People CANT survive without internet.
Activity: 56
September 18, 2014, 12:21:44 PM
Yes, bitcoiners will create their own internet, its happening.
Activity: 72
September 18, 2014, 04:53:28 AM
It will survive but surely stagnates as long as internet is gone.
Activity: 86
September 17, 2014, 08:52:50 AM
if you shut down the internet only offline wallets would continue to exist

and nope, radio waves just won't cut it

Yeah wallets will continue to exist but will you ever have internet ever again? What if a natural disaster occur in your area - will your bitcoin help?
Activity: 826
Merit: 504
September 10, 2014, 12:29:13 PM
if you shut down the internet only offline wallets would continue to exist

and nope, radio waves just won't cut it
Activity: 19
September 10, 2014, 06:23:51 AM
There is one simple solution though, what if you mint physical coins each with QR code that represents bitcoin address

Private key of all addresses on coins may or may not be held by central organization ie. government thus having the ability to make coins worthless if bitcoin is sent to another address. Central organization can verify if their minted coins are being counterfeited.

This approach has some unique properties:
- coins that stand for 1mBTC can each have 1mBTC on their addresses. No one is silly enough to send for example 1BTC to 1mBTC coin address. That would make him directly send 1 BTC to central organization
- coins have physical form which means no Internet or electricity is needed
- can be traded like exchanging cash with no waiting time at all to for confirmation making it possible for everyday use
- central organization has the ability to retrieve coins in the circulation by simply spending amount from coin address
- anyone can check if coin has the amount of BTC that it is claiming it has
- maximum market cap of all coins in existence is defined by BTC market cap which controls deterioration of minted coins via inflation (no inflation that steals value from holders can be implemented, only minting more coins that are directly pegged to BTC value)
- central organization that mints the coins do not need to be centralized
- private key of minted coins can be destroyed which means that destroying coin you lock forever BTC value attached to it (making it more deflationary)
Activity: 482
Merit: 500
LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com
September 09, 2014, 04:46:47 PM
Bitcoin exist because of internet and if it shuts down,
bitcoin community will disappear. Bitcoin will not survive
without internet because they can't move.
Activity: 42
September 09, 2014, 02:37:01 PM
no one can survive after a post noninternet world
Activity: 112
☯YIN YANG KING☯
September 09, 2014, 12:30:39 PM
Nope, BTC uses the net for everything it's based on. The only way I could think of it surviving without it is if the network was based on a massive LAN where each PC with the wallet was physically connected. Other then that, nope. I could br wrong though, please correct me if so.

Internet breakdown will not hurt bitcoin, it will just stop from increasing or decreasing - stay at the same price until solution is made.
legendary
Activity: 1045
Merit: 1000
https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C
September 09, 2014, 11:51:54 AM
Nope, BTC uses the net for everything it's based on. The only way I could think of it surviving without it is if the network was based on a massive LAN where each PC with the wallet was physically connected. Other then that, nope. I could br wrong though, please correct me if so.
Activity: 644
Merit: 260
September 09, 2014, 04:34:38 AM
If you try to mine bitcoin without internet you will discover that it can't be done, so btc can't exist without it.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
September 09, 2014, 04:10:48 AM
Whats the point of living in a post internet world? that would mean humanity is over.

Lol.. not all. There are lots of people who doesnt have internet. Maybe close to half of the worlds population doesnt have internet.

Well they will have to frisk up and get some internets quickly then, won't they.

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
PAMINTA 101
September 09, 2014, 02:32:46 AM
Whats the point of living in a post internet world? that would mean humanity is over.

Lol.. not all. There are lots of people who doesnt have internet. Maybe close to half of the worlds population doesnt have internet.
Activity: 70
September 08, 2014, 11:12:21 AM
Yes it can, rich BTC people will make their own internet
Activity: 42
September 08, 2014, 10:53:06 AM
Activity: 107
September 08, 2014, 09:12:49 AM
no of course.. bitcoin was made in the internet, internet is maybe the blood of bitcoin..
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1132
I do not think that the authorities are able to close down the Internet worldwide. At the very least have the technology and wi-fi mesh network
Activity: 57
I don't think it can because BTC network is expanding through the internet.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Internet is the main source of power of the bitcoin, if there is no internet it means there is no bitcoin, because the value of bitcoin is only valuable on the internet, bitcoin does not have a physical form, so it can not be used in real market, hopefully internet always connected so bitcoin never die ...  Cool
Pages:
Jump to: