Pages:
Author

Topic: Can Bitcoin Volatility Be Controlled? - page 29. (Read 12118 times)

Activity: 1148
Merit: 158
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
September 26, 2017, 11:39:32 PM
I have read some posts and some concerns that it is the volatility of Bitcoin that is preventing many people and many businesses to fully adopt Bitcoin. This can be the main factor why big online shopping stores are not yet adding Bitcoin into their payment facilities (though there is now a circulated petition for this but I doubt if it can make a dent).

Some are really saying that if volatility can be managed then we can see Bitcoin going mainstream. I am wondering then: Is volatility something that we should find a way to control and how do you think it can be done?

Since Bitcoin is not controlled by any business, government, or bank, it is about as free market as you can get these days. It is completely controlled by the individual buyers and sellers and therefore the price can't be controlled unless you own a significant amount of Bitcoin.

If you own a large amount or if a group of owners together owned a large amount, they could have some influence in the market by manipulating the price on exchanges. Otherwise, the Bitcoin price will be subject to the supply and demand of the Bitcoin economy.

But the reality that big whales are manipulating us. We're just like small fishes in the sea and we're just following these big whales and we just surfing the waves.
It's hard to control the volatility as volatility determines by the money and power.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
September 26, 2017, 11:27:49 PM
Sure, buy a future. There. No more vol.

Néééxt.
Activity: 644
Merit: 261
September 26, 2017, 10:06:18 PM
I have read some posts and some concerns that it is the volatility of Bitcoin that is preventing many people and many businesses to fully adopt Bitcoin. This can be the main factor why big online shopping stores are not yet adding Bitcoin into their payment facilities (though there is now a circulated petition for this but I doubt if it can make a dent).

Some are really saying that if volatility can be managed then we can see Bitcoin going mainstream. I am wondering then: Is volatility something that we should find a way to control and how do you think it can be done?

I think volatility can be controlled if more people are holding bitcoin and not many whales are manipulating the market. Due to the fact that bitcoin has been mined and many people are holding large volumes of it in the past to present then I think volatility cannot be controlled because they are market movers thus a simple order from them would affect the market that much. It is happening too much in altcoin as well because of the fact that it is not regulated that's why people are free to do what they wanted.

Maybe time will come when volatility can be controlled if someone of higher authority controls the market like being regulated and have some rules that will restrict some whales to easily control the market but then it may not happen because there are decentralized exchanges thus market manipulation is still rampant.
Activity: 322
Merit: 253
September 26, 2017, 09:34:26 PM
Why control it? Crypto currencies are so attractive right now because of volatility and speculation, there are non volatile coins and don't generate much interest

I think I do agree with it, most investors see potentials on things they can't control it's like a new thrill. In bitcoin you can't get bored to it, for other stocks they have the tendency for a repetitive trend everyday. And most users are used in gamble and uncertainty. It is like, a game play to them in some cases but eventually profiting the end. Cant argue much on what should be good for bitcoin, is good to be volatile or stable?. I think I will accept bitcoin as it is.

If you want Bitcoin as a speculative currency used to grow your money, it's true, there is no reason to control the volatility, but if you want to use it as currency on your daily life there should be some stability... People won't like to use 1 Bitcoin today to buy a computer as tomorrow this person can use the same 1 Bitcoin to buy a car... People will tend to hold and only hold, without making the BTCs circulate on the market.

I got your point and slightly agree to it. Maybe I'm just too focused on investment thing in my mind. When we're talking about its integration to our daily life as a currency I think you're right that most businesses think the same way. But really I don't see so much an issue with this when in reality using bitcoin as a currency is an individual decision to make. For I will may do it or may not. Think about it if 1bitcoin price is increasing does a businessmen who you transact with will profit or made a bad deal.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 510
September 26, 2017, 09:16:26 PM

Since Bitcoin is not controlled by any business, government, or bank, it is about as free market as you can get these days. It is completely controlled by the individual buyers and sellers and therefore the price can't be controlled unless you own a significant amount of Bitcoin.

If you own a large amount or if a group of owners together owned a large amount, they could have some influence in the market by manipulating the price on exchanges. Otherwise, the Bitcoin price will be subject to the supply and demand of the Bitcoin economy.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 525
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
September 26, 2017, 08:30:44 PM
Why control it? Crypto currencies are so attractive right now because of volatility and speculation, there are non volatile coins and don't generate much interest

I think I do agree with it, most investors see potentials on things they can't control it's like a new thrill. In bitcoin you can't get bored to it, for other stocks they have the tendency for a repetitive trend everyday. And most users are used in gamble and uncertainty. It is like, a game play to them in some cases but eventually profiting the end. Cant argue much on what should be good for bitcoin, is good to be volatile or stable?. I think I will accept bitcoin as it is.

If you want Bitcoin as a speculative currency used to grow your money, it's true, there is no reason to control the volatility, but if you want to use it as currency on your daily life there should be some stability... People won't like to use 1 Bitcoin today to buy a computer as tomorrow this person can use the same 1 Bitcoin to buy a car... People will tend to hold and only hold, without making the BTCs circulate on the market.
Activity: 322
Merit: 253
September 26, 2017, 08:18:04 PM

Activity: 728
Merit: 265
September 26, 2017, 08:08:40 PM
I think volatility in bitcoin can't be managed because it's in his nature that it we should be aware of and I know that its a risky one but it can also be a beneficial one especially to big investors but if only it is always going high. But if only volatility of bitcoin would be managed then there's is no doubt bitcoin would really accepted by big online stores in the market but it didn't. There are some adopted it but I think its not that much as far as I know in some part of Europe.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 250
September 26, 2017, 07:50:01 PM
Very difficult, for example that happens now, initially many people consider chinese control bitcoin, but when the china government banned bitcoin and china users panicked so sell all bitcoin but price do not drop.
Activity: 2520
Merit: 624
September 26, 2017, 06:19:06 PM

I think the only way that volatility can be managed is if bitcoin is being used by more people where there is less control of the few to dictate the price. This will not happen in the near future as bitcoin is still a very young currency and still in its development stage. But as years go by and more people are able to use it, the price is going to reach a point where it will stabilize and only minor movements are to be seen.

Yeap, it could be that with time the volatility might stabilized. Meanwhile, I still do not think that bitcoin is the only volatile currency because forex too is volatile. On a very" bad "day, someone can lose his capital with just on a five minutes chat on forex.  I just think that people are just still skeptical about bitcoin for now.
Activity: 392
Merit: 113
September 26, 2017, 05:22:46 PM

If it is controllable then it must be centralized. It must be controlled by government to have a steady value but it is not. So it is still a good thing it is not controlled so there can be no limit to how much it can rise in the future.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
September 26, 2017, 04:42:43 PM

To be more useful as a currency, bitcoin needs to be less volatile.

As many have said, the decentralized nature of bitcoin, without a central authority to help control the price, increases the volatility.

But if you really want to decrease the volatility, you need some way of determining the value of a bitcoin.  If market participants knew, for example, that the value of a bitcoin was around $4,000, then price should stay in a tight trading range around that value, unless it was believed for some reason that the value was going to change significantly in the future.  Without this, bitcoin price is going to continue to swing wildly back and forth.
Activity: 866
Merit: 1001
September 26, 2017, 01:44:26 PM
I do agree that volatility is a big issue for the progress of bitcoin,but unfortunately it could not be controlled.Volatility in bitcoin exists due to the decentralized nature of bitcoin.There is no central authority to control or regulate bitcoin's price.Bitcoin price varies with demand for bitcoins. But mostly FUD is responsible for panic selling which promotes selling of bitcoins due to which bitcoin's price becomes more unstable.Earlier,china was also responsible for unstable price due to manipulation by dumping bitcoins.Its no more now.But overall,bitcoin price could not be made stable.
Activity: 33
September 26, 2017, 01:19:07 PM
There are too many coins just stuck somewhere and not traded right now. We need to put them on the market and after that volatility will fall.
Activity: 568
Merit: 254
September 26, 2017, 12:58:23 PM

Volatility of bitcoin will  only reduce if too many people are using it. Imagine if the supply of bitcoin are already scattered in every single person, it would be hard to dump it because there is always someone who will catch those dumps.

Activity: 756
Merit: 251
Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit
September 26, 2017, 12:48:18 PM

Volatility of bitcoin can't be controlled, one of the bitcoin feature is decentralised system so there's no one single entity that can control the supply thus controlling the price. It moves according to the supply and demand on market and it can't be controlled. Maybe later when there's a lot of user, the distribution will become more fair and make volatility less.
Activity: 42
September 26, 2017, 12:29:39 PM
Activity: 434
Merit: 102
September 26, 2017, 12:14:29 PM
The only thing that will reduce Bitcoin volatility is time. The more money in the market means less people can influence it. For example even $6,000,000,000 invested now would only increase the price by less than 10%. Which means most companies/people cannot influence Bitcoin all that much anymore.
I don’t think that volatility of bitcoin can be controlled in this way. As Chinese government have banned bitcoins recently which caused fluctuations in the prices of bitcoins and dropped the prices of bitcoins very much.

There are more chances that other governments also start banning bitcoins in their countries which will be responsible for a continuous chain of fluctuations in the prices of bitcoins.
Activity: 1806
Merit: 672
September 25, 2017, 07:51:34 PM
Volatility of bitcoin and cryptocurrency cannot be controlled. In my view very few altcoins volatility were controlled just because of the team that's behind it. Some provide fake price moves to profit out of it, if the system functions in a decentralized state the volatility can't be kept under control. At times manipulation happens with the big Volume holders.

Probaby true, but I think the fact that users affect the volatility of bitcoin gives us the idea and I think supply and demand can be part of its scenario, for the bitcoin price to be stable in the sense that it will dump but not as much as 10% as what happen whwn China banned bitcoin un their coumtry, but im the sense that we can lessen the amount that it may take when supply and demand didnt match with each other, so I think volatility of bitcoin can somehow be controlled.
That is where you are wrong all of the decentralized cryptocurrency can be subject to price manipulation as they are controlled by big players. That is why if they tried to make a profit taking everyone will follow and start a panic selling at the end the ones who have sold the highest will buy at the lowest price. That is why many people are trying to trade Bitcoin as it is subject to price movement. And yes volatility can be controlled by players as well.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
September 25, 2017, 07:46:17 PM
Volatility of bitcoin and cryptocurrency cannot be controlled. In my view very few altcoins volatility were controlled just because of the team that's behind it. Some provide fake price moves to profit out of it, if the system functions in a decentralized state the volatility can't be kept under control. At times manipulation happens with the big Volume holders.

Probaby true, but I think the fact that users affect the volatility of bitcoin gives us the idea and I think supply and demand can be part of its scenario, for the bitcoin price to be stable in the sense that it will dump but not as much as 10% as what happen whwn China banned bitcoin un their coumtry, but im the sense that we can lessen the amount that it may take when supply and demand didnt match with each other, so I think volatility of bitcoin can somehow be controlled.
Pages:
Jump to: