Pages:
Author

Topic: Canaan Avalon A7 Group Buy - Hosting at CryptoBoreas (Canada) - page 5. (Read 9596 times)

Activity: 439
Merit: 297
www.amazon.com/shops/MinersSupply
Well, back to the fun RMA dance with Bitmain. There seems to be a 5-10% failure rate with Bitmain, so the way to play the game with them is to buy a large number of miners that way the 5% hit won't feel as bad. Canaan's regular market price for A7s seems to me like they are just fishing for suckers. You would think with a less efficient miner they would at least take that into consideration when pricing them.

This whole centralization phenomenon breaks my heart. I really wish I had millions to develop my own chip. I would build miners and sell them to as many people as possible with a 2 to 5 miner per customer limit per batch. The network's health should be in the hands of as many people as possible not just a small group of mega mines. I'm not saying there is something wrong with having a huge mining farm, but the _majority_ of the network's hashing power should be as diffuse as possible.

Anyways, time to move on guys.

Well said & couldn't agree more!
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
Yes it is true the S9s are not perfect and there most certainly a 10 to 15% failure rate. Just keep in mind the better efficiency of the S9s, but I suppose if you have cheap enough power you can offset the higher purchase price of an A7.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7763
'The right to privacy matters'

I agree, but where to? Alts (eth, zec) are unconvincing so far, witness endless forking of one chain and non entirely functioning of another-as of right now, it is just a speculation tool (most people probably sell 100% to btc or $$).

Canaan's regular market price for A7s seems to me like they are just fishing for suckers. You would think with a less efficient miner they would at least take that into consideration when pricing them.

well, bitmain's and canaan's policies certainly increased the aftermarket price for S7, which is good for sellers (not so for buyers).
I saw someone asking $699 for S7, which makes sense ONLY if A7 is $1299 (afterall it is just 6th vs 4.7-5th and 0.18J/Gh vs 0.25 efficiency) and S9 nowhere to be seen.

I mean to move on to other btc hardware from bitmain specifically. Sadly they haven't opened a new batch yet. I did not mean to move on to other coins.

S7s are not worth not even close to $699, nor is the A7 worth $888. These prices are inflated and do not reflect a resonable ROI term. If you buy at those prices you are just throwing money away. You would be better off just buying BTC directly and holding.

My worse s9 died in 12 hours use in a dust free climate controlled room.

1 board .  Down time 3 weeks.

Then 1 controller down time six weeks.
But I purchased a controller while I waited . So true down time three weeks.
Then a second board down time three weeks.
Net down time was nine weeks.

But 1 or 2 boards not all all three boards.
Cost for repairs for an under warranty machine were about 100 .
The replacement board I purchased was 130.
So I spent 230 and I lost say 1 month,of mining.
I have a spare controller as the finally relaced the dead controller .

But it had the old software and the replacement was new auto tune software.
I was lucky I ordered replacement controllers really fast on my own dime as they have the old software.

Yoshi of bitmainwarrnty in Colorado was fairly good to me. But I sold most of my s9 gear,off and now only have 2 s9s.  My power is cheap so,I should make money mining the s9s break so much it may take until the spring for,me to,break even.   

The Avalon 7 could turn a profit for me if it simply just works
legendary

I agree, but where to? Alts (eth, zec) are unconvincing so far, witness endless forking of one chain and non entirely functioning of another-as of right now, it is just a speculation tool (most people probably sell 100% to btc or $$).

Canaan's regular market price for A7s seems to me like they are just fishing for suckers. You would think with a less efficient miner they would at least take that into consideration when pricing them.

well, bitmain's and canaan's policies certainly increased the aftermarket price for S7, which is good for sellers (not so for buyers).
I saw someone asking $699 for S7, which makes sense ONLY if A7 is $1299 (afterall it is just 6th vs 4.7-5th and 0.18J/Gh vs 0.25 efficiency) and S9 nowhere to be seen.

I mean to move on to other btc hardware from bitmain specifically. Sadly they haven't opened a new batch yet. I did not mean to move on to other coins.

S7s are not worth not even close to $699, nor is the A7 worth $888. These prices are inflated and do not reflect a resonable ROI term. If you buy at those prices you are just throwing money away. You would be better off just buying BTC directly and holding.

legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3836

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
They all claim they doesn't want centralization.

This is clearly pure bullshit now.

We have Bitmain selling us the S9, which is a piece of crap. Either you're lucky or not with your gear. 90 days warranty = LOL

Then we had hope with Canaan to give us a very reputable solid miner even for a premium price i would be buying them over the S9.

But it's way overprice and less efficient. We are hoping that a group by would have put the price down to something more acceptable (Like freaking 365 days of ROI)

But no, buy 1000 units and we will talk.

Bitcoin is all about centralization now

Bitfury doesn't even gave us a freaking chip like 6 months after they mine with it. They were so proud to tell us they would share it to the public.

I'm pissed off.
Bitfury and more precisely Punin is actually working together with sidehack (see his thread) and will provide chips for him.
This is a sure thing that I know.

Now two not so sure things are:
Bitfury providing chips for asiabtc's a.k.a. LightningAsic's new 16nm miner.
Bitfury providing chip for en.hotmine.io S1/S3/S5 re-fit boards.

Anyway it seems like Bitfury is the only company who is putting a little effort in to the decentralization.

I'm sorry to hear that things went like this with Canaan  Undecided

They waited like 6 months for that ?

I wouldn't be surprise Bitmain is around the corner for a Revision 2 of their chip.
legendary
well there is always zec or eth

My 2 avalon 7's  will be 2043 + whatever fees fedex charges.

They are due on fri the 2nd

It is hard to spend 2043 usd  for 12th

I can build 2 good gpus rigs for that get 1.2kh  using 800 watts vs   12th using 2000 watts (avalon 7)

They are quieter use less power and as of today earn more money.  Plus  warranty of 1 or more years on the parts.

Oh bro, for that money you could've had 22 TH. I guess you've bought them out of curiosity?
legendary
Well, back to the fun RMA dance with Bitmain. There seems to be a 5-10% failure rate with Bitmain, so the way to play the game with them is to buy a large number of miners that way the 5% hit won't feel as bad. Canaan's regular market price for A7s seems to me like they are just fishing for suckers. You would think with a less efficient miner they would at least take that into consideration when pricing them.

This whole centralization phenomenon breaks my heart. I really wish I had millions to develop my own chip. I would build miners and sell them to as many people as possible with a 2 to 5 miner per customer limit per batch. The network's health should be in the hands of as many people as possible not just a small group of mega mines. I'm not saying there is something wrong with having a huge mining farm, but the _majority_ of the network's hashing power should be as diffuse as possible.

legendary
well there is always zec or eth

My 2 avalon 7's  will be 2043 + whatever fees fedex charges.

They are due on fri the 2nd

It is hard to spend 2043 usd  for 12th

I can build 2 good gpus rigs for that get 1.2kh  using 800 watts vs   12th using 2000 watts (avalon 7)

They are quieter use less power and as of today earn more money.  Plus  warranty of 1 or more years on the parts.
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

We have Bitmain selling us the S9, which is a piece of crap. Either you're lucky or not with your gear. 90 days warranty = LOL

Then we had hope with Canaan to give us a very reputable solid miner even for a premium price i would be buying them over the S9.

But it's way overprice and less efficient. We are hoping that a group by would have put the price down to something more acceptable (Like freaking 365 days of ROI)

Bitfury doesn't even gave us a freaking chip like 6 months after they mine with it. They were so proud to tell us they would share it to the public.

I'm pissed off.
Bitfury and more precisely Punin is actually working together with sidehack (see his thread) and will provide chips for him.
This is a sure thing that I know.

Now two not so sure things are:
Bitfury providing chips for asiabtc's a.k.a. LightningAsic's new 16nm miner.
Bitfury providing chip for en.hotmine.io S1/S3/S5 re-fit boards.

Anyway it seems like Bitfury is the only company who is putting a little effort in to the decentralization.

I'm sorry to hear that things went like this with Canaan  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
Totally agree with you Herbpean

Centralisation is getting bigger! Sad to see that on BTC. Never tought I will said that one day but I may check others coins.  Undecided
legendary

I'm pissed off.
Activity: 1610
Merit: 538
I'm in BTC XTC
 I really, really wanted to buy one when they were first announced, but they're doing everything possible to thwart sales and it has worked!  I'm out...
legendary
Ho well shame on them.

Hope no ones buy their hardware.
Activity: 562
Merit: 506
We're going to need a bigger heatsink.

Ok guys, bad news. The group buy is cancelled. I am a bit disappointed. After a lengthy period of negotiations and being lead to believe that we may get a discount on an order of 100 units I am now told "For orders less than 1000 units please go through the shop."

Oh no!  Cry
Well, thanks for trying.
legendary
Ok guys, bad news. The group buy is cancelled. I am a bit disappointed. After a lengthy period of negotiations and being lead to believe that we may get a discount on an order of 100 units I am now told "For orders less than 1000 units please go through the shop."

legendary
We shall see. Even if we get the same $/TH as bitmain it would still be a supposedly good deal given the promised better reliability (I'm hoping it turns out to be true cause we need reliable long term miners if we expect to ROI on this).
Activity: 562
Merit: 506
We're going to need a bigger heatsink.
If you can get significantly lower $/TH compared to the S9 I'm interested in 5-8!
legendary
Will wait to see the price you get. So far I can get 1 for 1000$ usd and this is too much. Let me know

Yeah I paid canaan 2043  usd for 2 and 1 controller  plus I think I will be taxed on this.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
Will wait to see the price you get. So far I can get 1 for 1000$ usd and this is too much. Let me know
Pages:
Jump to: