Pages:
Author

Topic: Centralized vs Decentralized Exchanges - Which ones are better? - page 3. (Read 697 times)

Activity: 368
Merit: 104
Decentralized exchanges are way better for me.  I love the fact no one is in charge of my funds.  It seems to be the fairest and most clean way to do almost any type of business.  Cut the middle man right out. 
You need to understand the fact that those decentralized exchanges also being operated by some middleman. Still, I agree with you that decentralized exchanges are far better than other exchanges. But unfortunately I'm not finding all my preferred are coins are being listed out in decentralized exchanges. That is the reason I'm still going for centralized exchanges.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025
More and more Decentralized Exchanges are popping up, but are they really what they are hyped up to be?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-xA7p9NbdI

I think the concept is great, but at the moment they are really hard to use because of constant downtimes especially on IDEX and EtherDelta. What are your thoughts on this?
Honestly it is not about one is better than the other, they both have their own good parts and bad parts. A decentralized exchange like shapeshift will allow you to keep your coins on your own wallet and this is a lot better for security reasons but you will have to have your own wallet on your pc or somewhere which creates added work flow and you can't use bots or whatever on stuff like that.

However, on centralized places you are basically trusting the exchanges with your coins and they keep it for you but you do not own the seed of your wallet which means you are basically not the owner of your coins, you are just at the hands of that exchange however it is easy to just simply buy and sell directly which makes it faster. So it depends, one is good on security, the other is good on fast and ease of use.
Activity: 112
Merit: 0
Just to clear your doubt, compare the successes and reputation recorded by popular decentralised exchanges such as Idex and EtherDelta and that recorded by centralised exchanges such as Binance and OkeX and am sure you will know which is better. Decentralised exchanges are sometimes boring to use and always a good option for nefarious activities unlike centralised exchanges where this happens but not at an alarming rate. 
Activity: 224
Merit: 1
Centralized Exchanges
Pros: Each centralized trading platform is providing a wider diversity of services, but takes away  a certain freedom at the same time, it can be viewed as positive and negative future. Centralized Bitcoin exchanges hold the cryptocurrencies in custody to make it easier to trade them.
Cons: For many people, convenience and cost are strong enough benefits to justify the continued use of centralized exchanges, but there are also risks involved. The largest risk, and one that many have highlighted in recent times, is the chance your cryptocurrency will be confiscated or compromised. Even if the centralized exchange doesn’t act in explicit bad faith, their entire network is set up like a honeypot that just serves to motivate hackers.
Activity: 322
Merit: 12
Yes, a decentralized system is information stored by one source when distributed. But there are also coins that are only traded on a decentralized exchange, so I put an end to all these inconveniences. Also, there are situations where at one time operating through decentralized exchanges turned out to be very profitable.
Activity: 298
Those are the two types of exchange. Centralized is the market which control by a central authority. For and example when we do any transaction we have to submit it for them and they will do our transaction. But in the case of decentralized it is directly transact. When we submit you will buy directly no one helps to transact those. The main disadvantage of decentralize is it is tend to hacked in most of the time.
Activity: 630
Merit: 100
Both decentralized and centralized exchange have there advantages and disadvantages.  Decentralized exchange volume can be very low and prices might not be set up or improve on.  Centralized exchange safe guide investors from ridiculous pricing and create good volume and liquidity for cryptocurrency trading!
Activity: 118
Merit: 1
Decentralized exchanges are way better for me.  I love the fact no one is in charge of my funds.  It seems to be the fairest and most clean way to do almost any type of business.  Cut the middle man right out. 
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179
First, the interface are friendly, platforms are easy to use and the fees are minimal. Unlike decentralised exchanges that are difficult to use and the fess are outrageous.
Not sure which decentralized exchange you have used and what exactly you traded there, but fees from crypto to crypto trades are pretty low mostly and relatively easy to conduct in case the trade confirms quickly.

I know that fiat to crypto trades do come with pretty high fees, but this directly is against decentralization since you're using a centralized (mostly expensive) payment service to complete the trade.

I don't think we'll ever be able to trade fiat to crypto in a truly decentralized manner. The only viable alternative is USDT, but you still need to cash out through Tether in order to end up with fiat, which not many people want to do.
Activity: 994
Merit: 502
Of course, work on decentralized exchanges has a number of features. There are certain difficulties that one has to face. But on centralized exchanges, too, not everything is as smooth. When working on them, too, there are certain moments. So if the coins that interest me are traded on centralized exchanges, then I'm bidding exactly there. But there are also a coins that are traded only on decentralized exchanges, so I endure all the inconvenience. Also, there are situations when at some point to conduct an operation through a decentralized exchange it turns out to be very profitable, then, of course, I risk and spend the purchase or sale there.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 534
With centralized exchanges, intermediaries such as companies act as middle men in order to facilitate trading on their platform. In exchange for providing this service, intermediaries collect trading fees. In essence, centralized exchanges often act as the first point of contact for newcomers that are interested in trading cryptocurrency.

While,

One of the more attractive features of cryptocurrency is that it cannot be controlled by any central entity(decentralization).  On peer-to-peer systems such as the Bitcoin network, the transfer of value does not require the involvement of central authority, because transactions are validated by a distributed group of miners that exist on the network.

Precisely my point. There are, of course, different pros and cons to either exchange but ultimately it depends on what you're trying to do and decide on what are the best measures to achieve that because some exchanges are better at say fee price but not turnaround etc.
Activity: 826
Merit: 263
Centralized may be good one for the people who believes government and regulations on exchange are better and at the same time we need to wait for all rules to follow to exchange even a shit coin. I don't think it will work better.

I need to go with decentralised exchange only because no KYC and no worries to deal with the traders there. It will be easy access to the people whoever want to use.
Activity: 174
With centralized exchanges, intermediaries such as companies act as middle men in order to facilitate trading on their platform. In exchange for providing this service, intermediaries collect trading fees. In essence, centralized exchanges often act as the first point of contact for newcomers that are interested in trading cryptocurrency.

While,

One of the more attractive features of cryptocurrency is that it cannot be controlled by any central entity(decentralization).  On peer-to-peer systems such as the Bitcoin network, the transfer of value does not require the involvement of central authority, because transactions are validated by a distributed group of miners that exist on the network.
Activity: 1065
Merit: 510
I like concept of Decentralized Exchanges as they do not require  intermediaries for their operation.They are not working on the basis of buy or sell orders instead this exchange match  the people behind those buy and sell orders. Example I want to buy 0.5 btc from exchange , exchange will find 0.5 btc deal inform seller and deal done. In this way different people different selling price of bitcoins. Competition rises and we got benefit from sellers of bitcoins. the drawback is in these exchange day time trading volume is very less as compare to other type of exchange.
You do mean about typical exchangers like LBC  but if we do compare into centralized exchange like Bittrex and others then it would really just be the same. The differences on DEX is that theres no such restrictions unlike on centralized ones.Just import keys then you are good to go no matter how big volumes you would trade up theres no such kyc or limits but the sad thing is that when it comes to volume. Centralized ones would really have that thing.
Activity: 451
In these decentralized world,We have to focus on decentralized entities.
Activity: 448
Nothing can be better just as it is decentralized, decentralized exchanges are the future but they are still in early stage, but oax is very promising project I find it exceptional in the decentralized exchange ecosystem, you should check their medium channel: https://medium.com/@OAX_Foundation
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001
I like concept of Decentralized Exchanges as they do not require  intermediaries for their operation.They are not working on the basis of buy or sell orders instead this exchange match  the people behind those buy and sell orders. Example I want to buy 0.5 btc from exchange , exchange will find 0.5 btc deal inform seller and deal done. In this way different people different selling price of bitcoins. Competition rises and we got benefit from sellers of bitcoins. the drawback is in these exchange day time trading volume is very less as compare to other type of exchange.
Activity: 658
Merit: 260
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
More and more Decentralized Exchanges are popping up, but are they really what they are hyped up to be?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-xA7p9NbdI

I think the concept is great, but at the moment they are really hard to use because of constant downtimes especially on IDEX and EtherDelta. What are your thoughts on this?

Always choosing the centralised one because they are very much reliable and can give us big protection against the hacks and frauds. The decentralised exchangers are just too public and anyone can any coins over there to scam us and we will never know our money got stolen in the form of crypto coins. Mostly they are scamming new ICO's also which are not tolerating this as the ICO money gets carried away due to pump and dump activities that are live on the decentralised exchanger. Centralised one also has more coin volume and thus better for the trades.  Wink
Activity: 2702
Merit: 716
Nothing lasts forever
I really like the idea/concept behind decentralized exchanges but the fact that they are not so efficient still keeps me away from it. There are still some issues like less volume, no support, less liquidity, availability etc... which a decentralized exchange should think of before being launched. So centralized exchanges are better until the issues of decentralized exchanges are rectified.
Activity: 938
I prefer centralised exchanges because they have a lot of advantages over the decentralised ones. First, the interface are friendly, platforms are easy to use and the fees are minimal. Unlike decentralised exchanges that are difficult to use and the fess are outrageous.
Pages:
Jump to: