Pages:
Author

Topic: CGWatcher 1.4.0, a GUI/monitor for CGMiner & BFGMiner to help minimize downtime - page 31. (Read 402304 times)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0
It works!

Thank you so much  Smiley

No problem, I just ran quick search in cgminer's readme. Tongue
Activity: 26
It works!

Thank you so much  Smiley
Different port for each cgminer and cgwatcher I presume, both are configurable, should work?

How to set different ports?

For cgminer you add:

--api-port          Port number of miner API (default: 4028)

In CGWatcher, on the Settings tab there's:

Miner Address (IP:port):

I think. Smiley
Different port for each cgminer and cgwatcher I presume, both are configurable, should work?

How to set different ports?
How to run multiple cgminer api listen  Huh
Activity: 12
wow this is super cool, ive been looking for something to monitor my farm productivity with, might give this a shot
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
CGWatcher & CGRemote
kislam: Thanks for the suggestions. I try to write software that is as intuitive as possible, but after focusing on the underlying code so much it's easy to lose track of how the user might interpret things in the UI. I've realized that with the added features so far, and more to come, it has gotten to a point where I need to completely overhaul the main window... but there were so many improvements to the monitor in 1.1.4 that I wanted to get it released as quickly as possible. I am planning on a UI design similar to that of VirtualBox's settings window where instead of tabs there is a listbox (or treeview like in Explorer) on the left side (probably with icons to make items more distinguishable) and clicking on an item switches the main area of the window. With tabs I try to limit adding new ones because it quickly becomes a mess. Here is an example:

The list doesn't have to run the entire height of the window... I will probably leave room at the top for hashrates, profile, temperatures, etc. that will always be visible Adding profiles has significantly changed the way the application works and I think it alone is reason enough for the switch. Plus this will give me a lot of room to add features in the future without worrying about where I'm going to put things. I am also creating a smaller overlay window that just displays hashrate, temperatures, profile, etc. that you can switch to or that you can have open when you minimize CGWatcher so you can keep an eye on mining without it taking up too much of the screen. It will have an option to stay on top of other windows as well, although from my experience that never seems to work 100% of the time... especially if another window sets itself to stay on top.

While I'm still in the planning stages of this change, I'm open to any ideas or suggestions anyone has about the new UI. I will also be putting together an alternative download that comes with the latest pre-compiled version of cgminer (similar to what GUIMiner does) so that all you need to get started is to provide your pool information, which it will ask for when you first launch. I didn't expect that a large portion of CGWatcher users would be new to mining, so I want to make the new UI as user-friendly as possible. I already have a lot of thoughts and ideas for this written down, butany suggestions on that are appreciated as well.

Also, ideas for the CGRemote UI are welcome. I've been working on the "under the hood" stuff, so the UI will be the last thing I do.
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
kislam: Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the ReadMe to try to make this clearer. I see what you mean about the confusion with the open directory button. Originally all profile information was only available in the Mining Profiles window, but I then went back and wanted to at least display it on the Settings tab. But I made them read-only to try to direct users to manage profile settings all in one place. I provided the buttons to make it quicker to do things like edit the profile's config file or bat/cmd file, not the profile itself. To do that, you have to use the 'Manage Profiles...' button which takes you to the Mining Profiles window.

Whichever profile you set to active in the Settings tab is the one that will be used. The only time it won't be used immediately is if the miner is running from the previous profile and you have chosen not to restart it when CGWatcher asked you. So the only time you have to worry about the current mining profile is if you switched profiles while the miner was running and didn't restart the miner. Otherwise, the current mining profile and the active profile will always be the same. The active profile is the one you select and is saved when you click 'Save Settings'. This profile is used when CGWatcher starts, or when it starts or restarts the miner.

The Default profile is just a name given to the first profile it creates automatically for users that do not have any profiles yet. You can change the name of it. You can then name another profile Default if you wanted to. I just had to name it something.

Thanks for the explanation. I just have a very simple suggestion -- you have a button on the 'Pools' tab that says 'Switch to this Pool'. Similarly, you can add a button on the 'Settings' tab that says 'Switch to this Profile' which will switch to the selected profile and will automatically restart the miner if necessary (i.e. when switching from sha to scrypt). I think this will make profiles section a lot more intuitive. Also, it might be better to have a separate tab for 'Profile' section.
Activity: 282
Merit: 250
18RATTT: Please download version 1.1.4 again using the same link on the CGWatcher page. I apologize for this, but the bug was found this morning and was fixed... but even by then there had already been around 60 downloads. It would not affect users who have two or more monitors (which is why it slipped past me) but even those users should update with the newest files.
thanks for the quick fix.
i fixed mine by downloading the newest 1.1.4 (altho it confuses me because the file on dropbox was last modified 8hours ago, shoulda change it to 1.1.5 imo)

thanks for all the hardwork, cant wait for CGremote.
CGWatcher & CGRemote
18RATTT: Please download version 1.1.4 again using the same link on the CGWatcher page. I apologize for this, but the bug was found this morning and was fixed... but even by then there had already been around 60 downloads. It would not affect users who have two or more monitors (which is why it slipped past me) but even those users should update with the newest files.
Activity: 282
Merit: 250
great software.

i had some error. it says System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
this happen when i restarted my comp, CGwatcher shoulda started and start my miner, but its giving this error.

thanks Milone.

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at CGWatcher.frmMain.PositionForm()
   at CGWatcher.frmMain.frmMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
CGWatcher
    Assembly Version: 1.1.4.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/User/Desktop/CGWatcher-1.1.4.0/CGWatcher.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 11.0.50709.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll
AMS.Profile
    Assembly Version: 2.0.1874.1294
    Win32 Version: 2.0.1874.1294
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/User/Desktop/CGWatcher-1.1.4.0/AMS.Profile.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Glad I found this, now if only someone made this for mobile devices.

that's an interesting thought. 
Activity: 42
Glad I found this, now if only someone made this for mobile devices.
Well, you did provide a pop-up saying just that, it seems to suffice. If not, maybe add a "would you like to restart cgminer etc" instead of ultimately forcing. My two litecents. Smiley
CGWatcher & CGRemote
sydameton: Thanks, that is a great idea and something I should have thought of. I will make sure this is added to the to-do list. Even though this, and possibly 'Restart if accepted share count stops increasing for X minutes', would be the only two options that you may want to change for each profile, I'll probably make all monitor options per-profile.

Though then the issue comes up of changing profiles without restarting the miner... the options shown in the Monitor tab wouldn't reflect the profile options the miner is still using. Maybe this is a rare occurrence, but I didn't feel I should force the user to restart when they switch profiles so it could very well happen often. There seems to be a large portion of CGWatcher users who are beginners so making things like this clear is important. I may just have to show the current monitor options in the Report tab, and make sure the user knows that the options in the Monitor tab do not reflect what the monitor will actually do until the miner is restarted and is using the active profile.

Or maybe I should just force a restart when the user changes the active profile.
It's a dual-gpu headless machine and I only used one dummy plug, I guess that's why. Thanks for the update!

L.E. Have a suggestion. I have two profiles, one for LTC and another for BTC&NMC. In this case, two "restart if total current hashrate falls below this" options would be useful, one for kh/s and another for mh/s, and automatically take into consideration the relevant one. Smiley
CGWatcher & CGRemote
kislam: Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the ReadMe to try to make this clearer. I see what you mean about the confusion with the open directory button. Originally all profile information was only available in the Mining Profiles window, but I then went back and wanted to at least display it on the Settings tab. But I made them read-only to try to direct users to manage profile settings all in one place. I provided the buttons to make it quicker to do things like edit the profile's config file or bat/cmd file, not the profile itself. To do that, you have to use the 'Manage Profiles...' button which takes you to the Mining Profiles window.

Whichever profile you set to active in the Settings tab is the one that will be used. The only time it won't be used immediately is if the miner is running from the previous profile and you have chosen not to restart it when CGWatcher asked you. So the only time you have to worry about the current mining profile is if you switched profiles while the miner was running and didn't restart the miner. Otherwise, the current mining profile and the active profile will always be the same. The active profile is the one you select and is saved when you click 'Save Settings'. This profile is used when CGWatcher starts, or when it starts or restarts the miner.

The Default profile is just a name given to the first profile it creates automatically for users that do not have any profiles yet. You can change the name of it. You can then name another profile Default if you wanted to. I just had to name it something.

sydameton: Sorry about the new bug. While I was testing and fixing the PositionForm subroutine that starts CGWatcher in the same position that it was last closed, I added a line to print some debug info and forgot to disable it before compiling. It was only affecting users with one monitor, which is why I didn't catch it. I have fixed this and updated the download link.
Latest version worked for half a day, then it won't start anymore (even after reboot):

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at CGWatcher.frmMain.PositionForm()
   at CGWatcher.frmMain.frmMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18034 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
CGWatcher
    Assembly Version: 1.1.4.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4.0
    CodeBase: file[Suspicious link removed]
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 11.0.50709.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18036 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18021 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll
AMS.Profile
    Assembly Version: 2.0.1874.1294
    Win32 Version: 2.0.1874.1294
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/###/Desktop/CGWatcher-1.1.4.0/AMS.Profile.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Undecided
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
1.1.4 is available. It should fix most bugs, and if it doesn't it will at least introduce some new ones to keep the old ones from feeling lonely. If you find it doesn't fix your problem or creates a new one, please let me know.

Thanks.

Great software (hope you got the small LTC donation I sent earlier)...

But new version 1.1.4.0 has some bugs. Gave me some crashes in the beginning -- specific case was when i tried to use the previous saved settings file with the new version - crashed immediately with I/O error. In the settings tab, there should be a button beside the Miner path text box that lets users choose the miner executable first (like there is a button marked "..." in the Manage Profiles dialog box). the button that is there (open folder icon) is confusing, as people will want to click it hoping to choose the miner, but its function is to open explorer showing the miner's directory that is specified. also, clicking the 'open directory' icon for the config file if the path is empty crashes CGWatcher.

The new profile section is confusing. How do you quickly switch profiles? Which profile is the default profile? I mean if the computer is restarted, which profile will be loaded -- the last saved one or the last active one? there needs to be a way to set the profile that will be started by default in case of a computer restart (maybe due to power failure). there should also be a button to switch profile -- only way i could find was to stop the miner, choose another profile and then start the miner again -- this should be one-click job.

I cannot stress enough -- this is a really great effort and a great time saver, at least for me, since one of my cards is a bit shaky and dies once in a while. CGWatcher can flawlessly restart mining every time. KUDOS!
Pages:
Jump to: