Pages:
Author

Topic: [CHART] Bitcoin Inflation vs. Time - page 24. (Read 1163069 times)

Activity: 453
Merit: 254
September 05, 2016, 10:54:26 AM
Thank You for the appreciation.

Looking at the charts, I continue to see the USD M0 to continue to fall (slowly but steadily), where the M1 and M2 continue to rise.
Theoretically they should raise and fall together (give or take some lags).
What could cause the reverse?

1) The Fed is fudging the data and hiding money creation somewhere else
2) Someone is paying back his debts with the Feds reducing M0 and at the same time is using his liquidity to buy stuff and services raising the M1 and M2?
3) An Argentine situation where the money supply reduce but the trust in it reduce faster so people just spend their USD as fast as they can?
4) Something else entirely?
.m.
Activity: 280
Merit: 260
Activity: 122
Merit: 100
September 05, 2016, 05:32:43 AM
Great chart! Thank you! And you know Austrian Economics well.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
September 01, 2016, 11:16:35 AM
Thanks for this graphs! I suppose that situation around it could be better, but we will see what's going to happen with BTC. Only a matter of time.
Activity: 220
August 31, 2016, 04:38:44 AM
2025 year will be good for bitcoin.

Oh, at this time, block reward 'll be 3,2BTC.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1012
August 29, 2016, 03:24:24 PM
I believe the velocity of money (btc in this case) matters here. Today it is extremely slow, since its usage is minimum.
I also agree with you that the rate will be higher than at this time, including the fact that the world economy can expect a big shock.
August 27, 2016, 02:40:25 PM
It is extremely low because you have just 250k tx/day top max.
Make them 250 M / day top and this would change a lot.
Activity: 966
Merit: 507
August 26, 2016, 09:53:15 AM
I believe the velocity of money (btc in this case) matters here. Today it is extremely slow, since its usage is minimum.
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
August 16, 2016, 05:33:40 PM

The google graphs are a bit small but if you press ctrl and + it can make them a bit more readable

When I work on them, I have them pretty large
I moved the charts back to a sheet instead of them on their own tab and now they appear large.
Hope this help.

Wow, now they're too large! We've got to find a happy medium on this. Good to see you figured out a way to solve the problem, though.
August 16, 2016, 12:13:25 PM

The google graphs are a bit small but if you press ctrl and + it can make them a bit more readable

When I work on them, I have them pretty large
I moved the charts back to a sheet instead of them on their own tab and now they appear large.
Hope this help.
STT
legendary
Activity: 4004
Merit: 1428
☠ ☠ ☠ メメ
August 15, 2016, 11:19:41 PM
Obviously both "sides" believe their definition of inflation is the right one but it always leads to confusion and/or fights.  If everyone simply used the terms price inflation or money supply inflation it would always be clear.

There was only one definition before the Federal reserve was brought in 1913 and after that two definitions began with the monetary base obviously expanding in a simple relationship and so effecting prices and the government defined idea of inflation adjusted for various policies and ideas.
  Especially now with an unfixed worth to dollars, inflation is a variable description where as the original idea of reference to a known quality is the same as ever.   Seems like a reinvented word to me, you can take the spoken meaning slang or the original definition.
    Currently monetary base inflation is very high, much higher then GDP or population growth but the government inflation figure is very low.     The reason that matters is that inflation exceeds interest rates, debt repayment rates by government and companies and it exceeds the rates wages increase every year.  Inflation exceeds GDP growth which if correct would trigger the word recession and this is not an acceptable conclusion taught in current economics.  I think its very political and we view the world through a goldfish bowl to gain a certain perspective, large debt is valued over production.   Governments have large debts, unserviceable otherwise so every party agrees with this current view

I guess if someone tried to measure goods sold in bitcoin over time it could relate

Activity: 1250
Merit: 295
Palestine
August 13, 2016, 01:18:59 PM
u can expect price cuz defficultie change and miners change as earning
Activity: 265
Merit: 250
August 11, 2016, 12:57:32 PM
I believe bitcoin is the future's money!  BTCBTCBTC                                                                                                                                                   
August 03, 2016, 04:43:09 PM
I added the USD M2 to the chart.
It is probably the money quantity influencing directly the living of people (costs of living / price inflation).

After the halving, for the first time, Bitcoin coinbase grow slower than M2.

The main problem limiting the price, now, is the number of transactions possible.
We will not go anywhere if the number of actual transactions don't grow.
At best, the value could grow slowly as most valuable transactions keep less valuable transactions from entering the blockchain (it become SWIFT instead of VISA).
August 03, 2016, 04:27:00 PM
And for your amusement, here you can see the inflation halving on the chart (the orange line on the right)

August 03, 2016, 04:22:50 PM
For people interested in my charts I have just updated the https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17Jjhd_nnfRJ9EyYuOM1ACPMwRod3hhPqRk4YQp7FIZE/pubhtml BTC USD inflation v2

I have added a few charts comparing the initial schedule mining with the actual mining and the scheduled inflation over time with the actual.

legendary
August 01, 2016, 06:34:38 PM
Nobody cares about money supply except to the extent that it affects prices.
People will care when we reach the point where we can tell them that the US dollar is being printed at a faster rate than the bitcoin is being mined. Smiley

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we've now reached this point, now that we're post 2nd halving. Smiley Bitcoin's monetary inflation rate is now lower than the US dollar's M1 inflation rate.  Not the same as price inflation, of course, but still an important event.
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
July 30, 2016, 03:29:33 AM
Inflation should also have a certain impact on the bitcoin
legendary
July 22, 2016, 02:58:09 AM
and subsequently but coincidentally jusneth’s article Suitertunity Cost, The Longitudinal Price Paid to Invest in Libertarian Ideology

Excellent, I missed this one: http://junseth.com/post/146674913712/suitertunity-cost-the-longitudinal-price-paid-to
Activity: 224
July 21, 2016, 11:08:25 PM
Traditional economists have mostly all dismissed Bitcoin as a poor example of money based on a three-part definition: store of value, unit of account and medium of exchange. I just finished a romp through Charles Wheelan’s “naked money” and subsequently but coincidentally jusneth’s article Suitertunity Cost, The Longitudinal Price Paid to Invest in Libertarian Ideology, which both actually relate to each other fairly well. So much so that you’d be forgiven for thinking that jusneth had also just completed this book and written his thesis directly upon this Introduction to Money 101. The one unsettling thought I’ve had though since completing these readings is that they both resolved on a common thought: Bitcoin is not really money. It’s purely an experimental tool that has one purpose, which is that of regulatory arbitrage. I don’t have nearly the economics background of Mr. Wheelan, but let’s not pretend like the Fed is any less of an experiment than Bitcoin.
Pages:
Jump to: