Pages:
Author

Topic: Chrome Browser extension: MtGox trading bot - page 4. (Read 72509 times)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0
Don't be surprised if this bot is running a specifically unoptimized algorithm to decide how to trade, which in turn leads to more profitability for the creator. Never trust bots that aren't programmed by yourself. The only bot that can truly be on your side is one you've written from absolute scratch.
The code is open source. Anyone can check the code to see if there's any weird stuff going on.

+1     If you can't read the code, then I guess you're back to square 1 and can't trust it, though.  But we can collaborate and make something even better.  I did a search a few days ago and didn't see any similarly developed bots.  This one for btc-e.com looks worth looking into, but seems to be tackling a different problem of arbitrage between exchanges by using BitInstant as the cheapest way of moving currency to complete the loop. http://btctrader.blogspot.ru/2013/03/faq.html

But it's true, you have to leave a PC running all the time to watch the market.  How to get around that?  1) Buy a Beagleboard or Rasberry Pi, install Chrome, and run that (maybe 5W power vs 60-140W for normal PC).  2) Maybe modify the bot or create another one that can be run on a cloud server.
Activity: 44
Don't be surprised if this bot is running a specifically unoptimized algorithm to decide how to trade, which in turn leads to more profitability for the creator. Never trust bots that aren't programmed by yourself. The only bot that can truly be on your side is one you've written from absolute scratch.

The code is open source. Anyone can check the code to see if there's any weird stuff going on.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Activity: 12
Got to wonder, since i turn my pc off every night (this thing is a powerhog) would that make a major issue running this? I know it would miss some trades but it should at least get some right?
Activity: 7
Actually this bot is really useful. I use it with the settings.

EMA long 21 EMA short 10.
Threshold 0.23% buy
Threshold -0.15% sell (normally -0.13 but I market is playing ass-clown)
Time 45 min (cleaner picture of whats going on)

And since this little guy is nothing more then two EMA curves. Hit that F6 in SC and set up two moving avg for exponential. Set one up on length 21 and the other on a shorter like 10. I put them both in the next chart region  just so I could really see them better. Don't forget to pad the the Threshold in autotrade spreadsheet.

Do a simulation going back a few week or months. Result was that this bot is a simple working system. The profits are not super but safer, but given time you will come out on top.

TobbeLino, I know this is not part of Goomboo's system but there are two requests I have. Although “dangerous" a lot of ppl would like to see a “hold on sells” until the buy they paid is reached with the Fee. There are times when I have done an extensive advance advance study and might be say 85% sure that a price of so and so will be reached. Then then a “hiccup” and I get sold short only to see I was right a few days later. The 2ed is a tailing stop. Say 5% with avg, ... or something like that. Both should not be default but a little box you can tick in.  
I installed GoxTradingBotTobli v0.2.2.3 this morning (downloaded using Git Clone instead of downloading this time, to make it easier to update in the future) and I still see the same behavior still.  Enable the bot, save changes, close the browser, open the browser, and it's disabled again.  I'm using Chrome 27.0.1453.94. This week or weekend I'll try taking a look at the code. 
Are you sure you're running the latest version? And you have the setting  "Disabled on start" unchecked?
I can't reproduce the problem with the latest version.

Good point.  Yes, I had the "Disabled on start" box checked, so that's why I saw that behavior.  That feature made sense before you implemented the 'experimental' feature of trading only on a trend switch.
Activity: 17
Here is my setting, you can calculate profit for yourself. It sold at 132.67 and bought it at 131. But I'm not sure for the long run... Probably will have to tune the settings from time to time. It should be better to lower threshold a little (20% or even lower).
I have it running on two separate Chromes, on one I have trading disabled and here I'm trying different settings. The other has trading enabled and I don't touch it unless I find more profitable setting.

http://s22.postimg.org/5j8dj0psx/Tooltip_006.png
Activity: 56
So it's kind of useless....
legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
Did anyone run this bot for a longer period of time? And how did it work out for them?

Did you increase your bitcoins?Smiley
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1615534
now for a longer time and still the same..
Activity: 56
Did anyone run this bot for a longer period of time? And how did it work out for them?

Did you increase your bitcoins?Smiley
Activity: 42

I installed GoxTradingBotTobli v0.2.2.3 this morning (downloaded using Git Clone instead of downloading this time, to make it easier to update in the future) and I still see the same behavior still.  Enable the bot, save changes, close the browser, open the browser, and it's disabled again.  I'm using Chrome 27.0.1453.94. This week or weekend I'll try taking a look at the code. 

Are you sure you're running the latest version? And you have the setting  "Disabled on start" unchecked?
I can't reproduce the problem with the latest version.

Just a quick note on your bot, not sure if this is intentional or not, but whether you check or uncheck "disabled on start," when you close out of the browser and boot it up the bot is always disabled. Basically it's always disabled on start whether you check or uncheck that box.

You're right! There was some weirdness about this setting!
I've just uploaded a fixed version (v0.2.2.3)

I installed GoxTradingBotTobli v0.2.2.3 this morning (downloaded using Git Clone instead of downloading this time, to make it easier to update in the future) and I still see the same behavior still.  Enable the bot, save changes, close the browser, open the browser, and it's disabled again.  I'm using Chrome 27.0.1453.94. This week or weekend I'll try taking a look at the code.  ‘whydifficult’, maybe I’ll take a look at your gekko project as well.

I would also suggest that we try to put some unit testing around the components of this bot since there are several days between each buy/sell decision, which is a long time to wait to see whether everything's working correctly (and miss the market swings!).  I did a quick search for Javascript frameworks (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/300855/looking-for-a-better-javascript-unit-test-tool) it looks like Buster.js might be one to start with.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
Well it could be something for experimental section...
Activity: 287

and I'm quite sure he didn't try to use MACD and simply "forgot" the signal line. His philosophy is instead: The simpler strategies tend to beat the more complex ones in the long run. Again, I can not judge whether this is a good or bad philosophy, but I like it Smiley

The signal–line crossovers in MACD may very well respond faster, but it will also generate more false signals.

But of course, it would be very nice to also have MACD indicators implemented in the bot so that the users can choose.
Maybe some day Smiley

It is true that EMA crossover is even simpler then MACD, but the bot currently does add a threshold which is also not in Goomboo's journal (I think). I'm don't know a lot about trading but I think MACD is considered an extremely simple indicator already.

Yeah that looks like someone that wanted to use MACD and forgot a part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MACD

I would refrain from using that method as I have doubts that it is more efficient.

Also look at how much more responsive the MACD crossover is vs regular EMA crossover.

This bot was never attempting to implement a MACD indicator, but a simpler one using only two EMAs of different lengths (as I understand it, this is like using only the MACD line's zero crossovers as indicator).

You can read the whole analysis and discussion about this in the tread I previously referred to (Goomboo's Journal: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/goomboos-journal-60501).
I'm no expert in trading strategies and technical analysis myself, and I do not have a quantitative experience of all the many strategies that exists, but to me Goomboo seems to be a quite experienced trader, and I'm quite sure he didn't try to use MACD and simply "forgot" the signal line. His philosophy is instead: The simpler strategies tend to beat the more complex ones in the long run. Again, I can not judge whether this is a good or bad philosophy, but I like it Smiley

The signal–line crossovers in MACD may very well respond faster, but it will also generate more false signals.

But of course, it would be very nice to also have MACD indicators implemented in the bot so that the users can choose.
Maybe some day Smiley
Activity: 462
What technical indicator are you actually using? It looks like the implementation of MACD but stopped halfway? Could you like me to a wiki explaining what your indicator is?

Goomboo's Journal: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/goomboos-journal-60501

Yeah that looks like someone that wanted to use MACD and forgot a part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MACD

I would refrain from using that method as I have doubts that it is more efficient.

Also look at how much more responsive the MACD crossover is vs regular EMA crossover.
What technical indicator are you actually using? It looks like the implementation of MACD but stopped halfway? Could you like me to a wiki explaining what your indicator is?

Goomboo's Journal: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/goomboos-journal-60501
Activity: 462
Activity: 287
I have a proposal for everyone working on (a fork of) the chrome browser extension. In an effort to improve the quality of our bots / projects and to speed up development I am creating a new way (sort of mini standard) at how our different projects could handle different exchanges efficiently:

(Born out of the requests by a lot of users to enable different exchanges, I figured this is about the right time since AFAIK out of all JS projects only Gekko supports exchanges besides Mt. Gox right now)

Gekko is going to use a 'portfolio manager' to handle all advices from the bot (like "buy now" or "sell now") and route them to the exchange the user prefers. I am proposing a way at which different exchanges could be implemented the same way by using this 'portfolio manager'. I am talking about the `portfolio managers expectations` and the `trading method expectations` as described in docs/Exchanges.md. I think standards like this would really speed up the development of different projects. If anybody has any ideas of things that need to be different / added to the document please let me know (or submit a pull request if you are a developer).

Note that the document is in early draft.

This would mean some rewriting of how the current chrome bot works BUT if you implement this system you will basically get all differences between all exchanges that I add to Gekko with minimal effort* (you would only need to write your own API wrapper because of the difference between Node and Chrome) but all the differences how each API returns stuff are abstracted out by me. Once Gekko's portfolio manager is there you could also port all that code into the chrome bot.

*Once the portfolio manager is added to Gekko this will be Mt. Gox, BTC-e and Bitstamp right away (the three biggest exchanges at this moment).

Just a quick note on your bot, not sure if this is intentional or not, but whether you check or uncheck "disabled on start," when you close out of the browser and boot it up the bot is always disabled. Basically it's always disabled on start whether you check or uncheck that box.

You're right! There was some weirdness about this setting!
I've just uploaded a fixed version (v0.2.2.3)
Pages:
Jump to: