Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] Design a physical Bitcoin - (CONTEST IS CLOSED) - page 6. (Read 21628 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
If any "runners up" want theirs produced....or enhanced further... we can help with that.  Smiley
Some of these are really pretty good.

The best designs are sculpted and 3d scanned these days.  Coins are 3d not 2d and sharp vertical edges do not give a good feel when held in a hand.  This sharpness can even remove skin.
This scanning can also be done with actual objects.  (like those leaves gracing the left curve of the obverse of acorn's)

Generally sculpting then doing a cast in plaster is best, and then doing a mold, and then carving out the mold, and reversing it... you can go back and forth in this manner until you have it perfected.  There is a qualitative difference that is very difficult to reproduce with only a computer.
Computer only designs tend to be sharp, and it is difficult to get the sort of soft grace and majesty that some of the most famous coin designs are known for.   I am delighted by the amount of quality art that this contest is producing.

The earliest coin designers are among the first artists whose names survive to today.
Most sculptors of that period did not sign their work and other art was more transient and didn't survive.  But some of the earliest coinmakers did mark theirs thousands of years ago.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061
Smile
another animation

large please wait

http://i39.tinypic.com/301gcnb_th.gif
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
I make pretty things.
Finished obverse and reverse, with antiqued and non-antiqued versions.

http://i40.tinypic.com/e6bwqq.jpg

I like how you compare the blockchain and germline (depicted as DNA). As a Biologist I always see a lot of parallels between the two.

i don't see a blockchain, let alone DNA (triple helix). Tongue

You see the double helix comming from the leaf. The Bitcoin is in the middle of the coin. The little things around it which look like stamps are the blocks. The blocks are connected by a chain, therefor I figured its a blockchain. The chain might actally be the merkel tree or whatever ties the blocks together. So the coin is in the middle, secured by the blockchain. The DNA runs around it sybolizing life which emraces bitcoin and the blockchain. At least that is how I interpreted it. Maybe acorn had something totally different in his mind.

Thank you for the interest in my design. I really enjoyed reading your interpretation and it isn't far off from my original intent. It's really up to anyone's interpretation -- but the center helix and the leaf were an abstraction of a wild tansy flower (known in the Language of Flowers as a symbol of resistance and declaration against). The center flower portion also includes a blockchain. I just wanted to combine something living/organic and traditional with something more mechanical and abstract. Living things adapt to keep on living. Bitcoin isn't so different.

I think I'm speaking on behalf of all the participants here, but OP could you please give us an update? Whether or not you have decided to cancel, or need more time to choose, or need more time to get prize money, it would be nice to be kept in the loop as to why you haven't said anything.
Activity: 226

I like how you compare the blockchain and germline (depicted as DNA). As a Biologist I always see a lot of parallels between the two.

You see the double helix comming from the leaf. The Bitcoin is in the middle of the coin. The little things around it which look like stamps are the blocks. The blocks are connected by a chain, therefor I figured its a blockchain. The chain might actally be the merkel tree or whatever ties the blocks together. So the coin is in the middle, secured by the blockchain. The DNA runs around it sybolizing life which emraces bitcoin and the blockchain. At least that is how I interpreted it. Maybe acorn had something totally different in his mind.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061
Smile
Activity: 427
Merit: 511
I have done a similar job for him some time ago and all gone perfect. I think he has had a problem or something else. I'll wait for his response a little more.
legendary
Activity: 1764
I'll have to open a scam accusation if you don't reply.

yeah, that's not cool.

alot of ppl have made alot of great designs in here.  i wish i could have a gold and silver version of each one.
legendary
Activity: 1764

legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
I'll have to open a scam accusation if you don't reply.
Activity: 226

I make pretty things.
It's time to pick a winner for the coin, or multiple winners (specify who is getting 5 btc total) if you are not proceeding.

Bump, because this.
I make pretty things.
What software you used for rendering? Those coins look really badass, I'd like to check what would my proposals look like if rendered properly.

Thanks very much! I imported my vector artwork from Illustrator into Photoshop as smart objects parts, making sure that the vectors were compound shapes with black only. Then I made my own layer style to make a render of the coins.

If your vector artwork is formatted similarly, I could try and send my layer styles to you, and you could check how it looks with your artwork, but it's basically just a gradient, bevel emboss and drop shadow. The antiqued version also uses an outer glow.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005
PGP ID: 78B7B84D
I'm starting to think this contest is bullshit.

OP has disappeared  Huh
legendary
I'm starting to think this contest is bullshit.
I make pretty things.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Gresham's Lawyer
Keep in mind that the lines are not perfectly perpendicular, there is some slight trapezoidal shape to them and they are wider at the base.  This is necessary due to the nature of the cutting tip of the CNC die cutters, and it is actually preferable as it slightly reduces the "sharpness" of the coin.  Sharp coins are not good.  Most pockets are made of fabric which can get sliced up by sharp metal, and the last thing you want is your coins cutting holes in the pockets of their owners and escaping.  Wink
I make pretty things.
OP, do you know how fine the lines for the custom die can be? I'm working on the reverse side and would like to know how detailed I can reliably get.
I make pretty things.

This is my submission showing a rough draft of the obverse side only (needs a bit of work still but I figured I'd post it now). There is no reverse face or 3d render yet -- I want to gauge how much interest there would be in this design before committing the hours it will take to complete it.

It is an impression of the wild tansy, a flower that represents resistance, and chose this flower for the front face because sound money is potentially an incredible tool of resistance against many different things. It is inspired by beautiful manhole covers.
[op failed to respond, have withdrawn my submission]

Edit: I found the dots a bit overwhelming, so here is the cleaner version.
Activity: 188

I know it's not a democracy, but I really like this design. Sure, some details are not optimum for me, but it's what you asked for: out of the box. Not thrilled with the Star Date, but whatever. The design IDEA is fresh, and exciting.

Mjbmonetarymetals, could you work up a design study with a different planet, (I like Jupiter!), or a different view of Earth, and maybe a series of different spaceships? Orion Drives, Generation Ships, Sails etc? I'd have been tempted to submit my own design, but I didn't have the time to climb the steep learning slope. Anyway, this is YOUR idea. Run with it, please.

OP: I'd be more likely to buy this type of Physical Bitcoin than any others, no insult intended to the many other excellent designs.
legendary
Alright this has been going on three weeks and CoinHoarders last post was more than week ago.

Coin buddy either finalize a timeline or give at least top 3 current don't leave everyone hanging.

Thanks
This
Pages:
Jump to: