Pages:
Author

Topic: CoinJoin: Bitcoin privacy for the real world - page 8. (Read 294501 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
IMHO, it could be used as a load balancing device for a system with a fixed block size limit. CoinJoins happen automatically to help compress more transactions into the available block space. This could provide a good argument against a scheme with a continuously variable block size, or to a scheme with no limit at all (although I don't think anyone has yet made any serious proposal for the latter). It also illustrates that CoinJoin really is just that, joining inputs and outputs into single transactions, regardless of the utility you're seeking from doing so.

Interesting. What is the effective 'compression' of doing several individual TX versus a single CoinJoin containing the same TXs?

There's a fair proportion of header/data for single output -> pair of outputs, but mamadmankan is only identifying the first steps in the line of thinking that led to stuff like SegWit and Lightning.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
IMHO, it could be used as a load balancing device for a system with a fixed block size limit. CoinJoins happen automatically to help compress more transactions into the available block space. This could provide a good argument against a scheme with a continuously variable block size, or to a scheme with no limit at all (although I don't think anyone has yet made any serious proposal for the latter). It also illustrates that CoinJoin really is just that, joining inputs and outputs into single transactions, regardless of the utility you're seeking from doing so.

Interesting. What is the effective 'compression' of doing several individual TX versus a single CoinJoin containing the same TXs?
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
Activity: 261
Merit: 518
The electrum plugin would work by having a sidecar daemon that the plugin sends transaction information to and obtains an unsigned coinjoin transaction. The files are electrum-plugin-daemon.py and electrum-plugin.py, although that branch is probably quite stale.
Activity: 278
Merit: 251
ABISprotocol on Gist
I'm pleased to announce the mainnet version of JoinMarket.

Expect glitches and a command line interface. But it works.

(...)

I will be working on an Electrum plugin to make it easy to use. Electrum doesn't have a testnet version which is one reason we've moved to the mainnet now.

At this point, do you have an Electrum plugin?  If so, where to go to find it?
Am assuming at this point, it's probably here..
https://github.com/JoinMarket-Org/joinmarket/issues/44
and also
https://github.com/JoinMarket-Org/joinmarket/tree/electrum-plugin
If there's a particular file that needs attention/work pls. advise.
copper member
Activity: 21
Merit: 3
+1 for JoinMarket (and perhaps TailsJoin getting a small percentage as well)

Would love to have gmaxwell take a look at the implementation and provide feedback.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
I can't see any reason for why JoinMarket development shouldn't be give some or all of this fund.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
It is definitely an interesting idea. I would definitely like to see am implementation of the concept coded and implemented.

Check out JoinMarket.

It's an implementation of the concept coded and implemented.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
It is definitely an interesting idea. I would definitely like to see am implementation of the concept coded and implemented.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
The bounty fund will pay out [...] for completed work proposed in this thread that furthers the goal of making improved transaction privacy a practical reality for Bitcoin users.

Would this suite Joinmarket? https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-joinmarket-coinjoin-that-people-will-actually-use-919116

Was the work proposed in this thread?
I guess only gmaxwell knows the answer to this question. In my eyes Joinmarket is going further than what has been suggested in this thread as it adds the incentive necessary for CoinJoin to actually go somewhere.

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
The bounty fund will pay out [...] for completed work proposed in this thread that furthers the goal of making improved transaction privacy a practical reality for Bitcoin users.

Would this suite Joinmarket? https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-joinmarket-coinjoin-that-people-will-actually-use-919116

Was the work proposed in this thread?

If so, JoinMarket definitely qualifies.
legendary
Activity: 1708
In order to further incentivize work in this space there is now a multisignature escrow bounty fund:

3M8XGFBKwkf7miBzpkU3x2DoWwAVrD1mhk
                    (yes, Bitcoin addresses can also start with a 3)

This is a two-of-three multisignature escrow with myself, Theymos, and Pieter Wuille as signers. To release any coin sent to this address at least two of these people must sign the transaction.

The bounty fund will pay out as funds are available according to the signers best judgment for completed work proposed in this thread that furthers the goal of making improved transaction privacy a practical reality for Bitcoin users.

Please feel free to contribute to the above address to support work on this infrastructure.

Multisig address construction details:
Code:
Key from Theymos:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Here is a public key of mine, usable for the CoinJoin bounty fund:
02d5f2b9c68b22006161dfe58a78b37dc2b577e8bb4e4522940830264eb3b3a38b
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iF4EAREIAAYFAlISs5MACgkQxlVWk9q1kednkgD/WvE3F1hSoKHIr+y7q3O6xbGp
FM+P/lVbi/nZugrlNKABALMhYih2Ov80OS1PLMX9UpONn2eE2Xu+ZkxZ2SkQFfCU
=lFI0
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Key from Gmaxwell:
Hash: SHA1

027b48575c15712867a8a1e6c9f52f510946130bbdf3b1e2feb344b8b68232ffb1

iEYEARECAAYFAlIbCV4ACgkQrIWTYrBBO/ooAgCdG9twTEFH5q+5Pip9qDOGsoww
a7YAoLfVP4CBaxk5mnpMXVHpQXqgVwxL
=k1JR

Key from Pieter:

Hash: SHA256

0292782efcb08d621c360d055f407c8e75ffbbd06f6b7009c1432ca9eaa6732592
Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)
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=70Dh

2-of-3 Address construction:
$ bitcoind createmultisig 2 '["02d5f2b9c68b22006161dfe58a78b37dc2b577e8bb4e4522940830264eb3b3a38b","027b48575c15712867a8a1e6c9f52f510946130bbdf3b1e2feb344b8b68232ffb1","0292782efcb08d621c360d055f407c8e75ffbbd06f6b7009c1432ca9eaa6732592"]'
{
    "address" : "3M8XGFBKwkf7miBzpkU3x2DoWwAVrD1mhk",
    "redeemScript" : "522102d5f2b9c68b22006161dfe58a78b37dc2b577e8bb4e4522940830264eb3b3a38b21027b48575c15712867a8a1e6c9f52f510946130bbdf3b1e2feb344b8b68232ffb1210292782efcb08d621c360d055f407c8e75ffbbd06f6b7009c1432ca9eaa673259253ae"
}

Activity: 63
Merit: 11
It looks like you might need to write some code, as the post says "for completed work proposed in this thread that furthers the goal of making improved transaction privacy a practical reality for Bitcoin users."

Just as well that it does not say "for completed code". Otherwise I would be going against the thing. In a knowledge economy, new knowledge (and new code) takes a lot of completed works. Anyway, the review is not complete yet so my claim might not be valid. And even if it is valid or invalid logically, the fund is ultimately at the discretion of two individuals. If they want to encourage or discourage this kind of research is up to them.
In order to further incentivize work in this space there is now a multisignature escrow bounty fund:

This is a two-of-three multisignature escrow with myself, Theymos, and Pieter Wuille as signers. To release any coin sent to this address at least two of these people must sign the transaction.

The bounty fund will pay out as funds are available according to the signers best judgment for completed work proposed in this thread that furthers the goal of making improved transaction privacy a practical reality for Bitcoin users.

Please feel free to contribute to the above address to support work on this infrastructure.

I would like to make a claim on this fund for work done on Compact Confidential Transactions (subject to the ongoing peer review).

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11597427

CoinJoin should 'just work' in this scheme, and has a similar interface to gmaxwell's Confidential Transactions for keeping participant's balances hidden from other participants.

Participants generate some random inputs, and same number of random outputs, to themselves with a zero sum, and ensure that they do not introduce any fuzz over/underflow, so the fee is fixed.

An alternative approach, is to let participants share only their fee delta, guaranteeing that everyone makes the same fee adjustment, in which case the number of outputs can also differ to the number of inputs for each participant.

If anyone puts in too much or too little, their sum, and the whole transaction sum, won't come out as zero and the transaction will be invalid.

It looks like you might need to write some code, as the post says "for completed work proposed in this thread that furthers the goal of making improved transaction privacy a practical reality for Bitcoin users."
Activity: 63
Merit: 11

I would like to make a claim on this fund for work done on Compact Confidential Transactions (subject to the ongoing peer review).

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11597427

CoinJoin should 'just work' in this scheme, and has a similar interface to gmaxwell's Confidential Transactions for keeping participant's balances hidden from other participants.

Participants generate some random inputs, and same number of random outputs, to themselves with a zero sum, and ensure that they do not introduce any fuzz over/underflow, so the fee is fixed.

An alternative approach, is to let participants share only their fee delta, guaranteeing that everyone makes the same fee adjustment, in which case the number of outputs can also differ to the number of inputs for each participant.

If anyone puts in too much or too little, their sum, and the whole transaction sum, won't come out as zero and the transaction will be invalid.
I'm pleased to announce the mainnet version of JoinMarket.

Expect glitches and a command line interface. But it works.

Here's some CoinJoins people have already done
https://blockchain.info/tx/601d9c15bc1edd2fe3e5c853ed111d11e9c0a5fb66c75571c7f10fa0d8ab23bb 5-party coinjoin
https://blockchain.info/tx/b85a3b563474ca98ba1809460e61a50053899c21f9869afb6a3a6d4b4cb00b7c 4-party coinjoin
https://blockchain.info/tx/e8b793b3464641df9404993c3101f81208b2d774f51a1ec748a608fbc9e22629 3-party coinjoin
https://blockchain.info/tx/665a9d7848cc0d28869ef866ca9a1117f20358e1e372dbbb01f1b75054584e70 3-party coinjoin

Only pocket change amounts for now, if anyone found an exploit bug they could theoretically clean out your wallet. My yield generator bot is running happily right now, I've already earned about 25000 satoshi.

I will be working on an Electrum plugin to make it easy to use. Electrum doesn't have a testnet version which is one reason we've moved to the mainnet now.
donator
Activity: 2772
Last few months I've been working on an implementation of my idea.

I'm calling it Joinmarket.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10096718

The coinjoiner bots meet in an IRC channel. The bots announce their orders in an open-outcry trading pit style. Transaction data is sent between users as IRC private messages. Encryption is a planned feature to stop the IRC server eavesdropping. I have plans one day to move away from IRC entirely and have the users meet in some kind of peer to peer network.

Github: https://github.com/chris-belcher/joinmarket
IRC: irc.freenode.net #joinmarket

I checked it out, it's a great idea that already works! Thank you!

Looking at the TODO and some of the code it seems there's still quite a bit of work to be done, though.

Seems to me electrum integration would be a rather low-hanging fruit, no?
Last few months I've been working on an implementation of my idea.

I'm calling it Joinmarket.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10096718

The coinjoiner bots meet in an IRC channel. The bots announce their orders in an open-outcry trading pit style. Transaction data is sent between users as IRC private messages. Encryption is a planned feature to stop the IRC server eavesdropping. I have plans one day to move away from IRC entirely and have the users meet in some kind of peer to peer network.

Github: https://github.com/chris-belcher/joinmarket
IRC: irc.freenode.net #joinmarket
I'm coding an implementation of my idea. Stay tuned.

By the way, does anyone have any ideas for the name of the project?
Yup, I hope to see it implemented on Darkwallet Smiley

Yep I agree.
Hopefully something like this will be in many kinds of wallets. An Electrum plugin also seems like a low-hanging fruit.
Pages:
Jump to: