Pages:
Author

Topic: CoinPal beta - Buying bitcoins with PayPal - page 10. (Read 170520 times)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0
Just reason number #9,001 why PayPal is an awful establishment. Ugh. They've had an account of mine frozen for about 6 months now.

Which wouldn't be that bad if I didn't have a few thousand in my account. Idiots.  Undecided
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
Try Amazon Payments. It is almost the same as Paypal nad most people have Amazon accounts.
Activity: 228
Merit: 106
PayPal, owned by eBay, is in the middle of their third class-action for defrauding customers and freezing accounts.

Regardless of whether or not the department that gave you permission to trade BitCoins was authorized to, you have their permission.  In commerce law, this is referred to as "principal and agent".  The agent (say a teller at a bank) is understood to represent the principal (the bank manager) and vice-versa.  If they misrepresent, it's the bank that must keep its word to you - not you that must be inconvenienced by the bank.  Same goes here.

As for "This limitation cannot be appealed", they mean within PayPal's internal faux-court.  In PayPal's EULA, there is a proviso which requires you to agree that, in the event of a dispute with PayPal, you agree to forfeit your access to a real court and must instead seek remedy exclusively through a hearing comprised of PayPal staff.  In 1992 a real court ruled that PayPal couldn't include that proviso, because it fraudulently convinced Paypal users that they had no access to real courts as a result.  Last I checked a few months ago, the proviso was still in PayPal's EULA despite the court ruling.

You have a strong case, and PayPal has left itself wide open in its flagrantly abusive practices.  You might come out of this financially ahead given punitive damages, and what's more a lawsuit against PayPal would be effective material for a press release.  News coverage would certainly be free advertising, and in this case such a venture would actually make it advertising that paid you instead.

Submitted for your consideration.  Be well.

This is VERY VERY interesting information. Ill be waiting for ndrix to respond, hopefully soon.
Also press free advertising would easily help bitcoin to spread out to the world Smiley
Activity: 51
A solution would be to create a website, perhaps in Drupal, that would automatically purchase BitCoins from users who wanted to sell.  Users would log in, put their BitCoins up for sale, and the site would draw from a credit line to purchase them at current valuation.  Thus you could put cash in at one end, and accumulate a trickle of BitCoins as they came out of your site.  Your site could then also sell them to users by accepting credit card orders.  This would stimulate BitCoin usage by allowing users entry into the economy.  A minor transaction fee would probably be in order, to cover the hosting costs and credit card processing fees.

People would essentially be buying and selling with your site itself, and unlike a person it would be constantly available and always-on.

[EDIT: I recently compiled a comparison list of the top online credit card payment processing gateways, which you may find useful.]

Be well.
Activity: 7
I basically live by OCN, but I know those mods, and if one of them tipped PayPal off I'm gonna be really mad. There was a huge thread about it with like 3000 replies on OCN.
What would OCN tell Paypal that would make them shut down CoinPal? Bitcoins are goods traded by users for money and other services, so I don't see what Paypal can really do about this business. I'm don't know a lot about how the financial world works, but Bitcoins aren't "an actual currency", just virtual points that people buy/sell for real money.

PayPal, owned by eBay, is in the middle of their third class-action for defrauding customers and freezing accounts.

Regardless of whether or not the department that gave you permission to trade BitCoins was authorized to, you have their permission.  In commerce law, this is referred to as "principal and agent".  The agent (say a teller at a bank) is understood to represent the principal (the bank manager) and vice-versa.  If they misrepresent, it's the bank that must keep its word to you - not you that must be inconvenienced by the bank.  Same goes here.

As for "This limitation cannot be appealed", they mean within PayPal's internal faux-court.  In PayPal's EULA, there is a proviso which requires you to agree that, in the event of a dispute with PayPal, you agree to forfeit your access to a real court and must instead seek remedy exclusively through a hearing comprised of PayPal staff.  In 1992 a real court ruled that PayPal couldn't include that proviso, because it fraudulently convinced Paypal users that they had no access to real courts as a result.  Last I checked a few months ago, the proviso was still in PayPal's EULA despite the court ruling.

You have a strong case, and PayPal has left itself wide open in its flagrantly abusive practices.  You might come out of this financially ahead given punitive damages, and what's more a lawsuit against PayPal would be effective material for a press release.  News coverage would certainly be free advertising, and in this case such a venture would actually make it advertising that paid you instead.

Submitted for your consideration.  Be well.

This might be the greatest post I've ever read.
Activity: 51

Regardless of whether or not the department that gave you permission to trade BitCoins was authorized to, you have their permission.  In commerce law, this is referred to as "principal and agent".  The agent (say a teller at a bank) is understood to represent the principal (the bank manager) and vice-versa.  If they misrepresent, it's the bank that must keep its word to you - not you that must be inconvenienced by the bank.  Same goes here.

As for "This limitation cannot be appealed", they mean within PayPal's internal faux-court.  In PayPal's EULA, there is a proviso which requires you to agree that, in the event of a dispute with PayPal, you agree to forfeit your access to a real court and must instead seek remedy exclusively through a hearing comprised of PayPal staff.  In 1992 a real court ruled that PayPal couldn't include that proviso, because it fraudulently convinced Paypal users that they had no access to real courts as a result.  Last I checked a few months ago, the proviso was still in PayPal's EULA despite the court ruling.

You have a strong case, and PayPal has left itself wide open in its flagrantly abusive practices.  You might come out of this financially ahead given punitive damages, and what's more a lawsuit against PayPal would be effective material for a press release.  News coverage would certainly be free advertising, and in this case such a venture would actually make it advertising that paid you instead.

Submitted for your consideration.  Be well.
Activity: 4
Well, with every major forum comes trolls, and trolls there are on OCN.

I don't really blame the nay-sayers though, who would believe that you can sell bitcoins and acquire them by doing basically nothing?
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
No way with such a low fraud rate that PayPal just suddenly decided to cut you off. I'll bet good bitcoins that somebody (i.e. the admins at overclock.net) tipped them off.

I basically live by OCN, but I know those mods, and if one of them tipped PayPal off I'm gonna be really mad. There was a huge thread about it with like 3000 replies on OCN.

EDIT: Yea it just go closed, http://www.overclock.net/other-software/1001123-earn-your-gpu-bitcoin-mining-guide-165.html

It was huge because of the incredibly large number of trolls and naysayers. I was hardly expecting the staff to be trolls and naysayers themselves.
No way with such a low fraud rate that PayPal just suddenly decided to cut you off. I'll bet good bitcoins that somebody (i.e. the admins at overclock.net) tipped them off.

EDIT: Yea it just go closed, http://www.overclock.net/other-software/1001123-earn-your-gpu-bitcoin-mining-guide-165.html
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Wow this is really unfortunate. I just used coin card this morning and thought it was a great service and was easy to use.
I don't know if this is possible, but could you replace the Paypal client with one that transfers to major Credit/Debit cards instead? There would be more trust involved here, but I know that wouldn't shy me away.

For a while, Bitcoin Gateway exchanged Bitcoins for debit/credit card funds, and that's actually how I got my first coins.  The problem is that credit cards (and debit to a lesser extent) also have the same chargeback/fraud issues that PayPal has.  The only reason Bitcoin Gateway was able to work is because the guy manually called up the bank to make sure it was actually your card, and then called you personally to confirm the order, using the phone number on file with the bank.  It was a lot of manual labor and because of that, it couldn't scale to the size that CoinPal/CoinCard reached.

I see. I do love how CoinCard is just a simple click of the mouse.
Activity: 373
Merit: 250
I don't know if this is possible, but could you replace the Paypal client with one that transfers to major Credit/Debit cards instead? There would be more trust involved here, but I know that wouldn't shy me away.

For a while, Bitcoin Gateway exchanged Bitcoins for debit/credit card funds, and that's actually how I got my first coins.  The problem is that credit cards (and debit to a lesser extent) also have the same chargeback/fraud issues that PayPal has.  The only reason Bitcoin Gateway was able to work is because the guy manually called up the bank to make sure it was actually your card, and then called you personally to confirm the order, using the phone number on file with the bank.  It was a lot of manual labor and because of that, it couldn't scale to the size that CoinPal/CoinCard reached.
Activity: 1
Transferring to eWallets like Neteller would be good as well, but I haven't looked on their terms to see if they accept this kind of transfers.

For foreign users, it would be great to withdraw the funds at the ATM using Neteller's prepaid Master Card.
Activity: 294
Maybe you could try a payment processor like Plimus or 2Checkout as a "middleman" between you and Paypal?
Activity: 228
Merit: 106
How about AlertPay?

Actually this might be a great idea. Also I think there's also some services that change alertpay money for paypal
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
How about AlertPay?
Activity: 373
Anyone know an easy, still alive, service like this one to change bitcoins for paypal?
Im afraid of getting stuck now with my bitcoins, since the only way for me to get money at this time is this PayPal crap =/

At this point, I'm guessing your best bet would be Bitcoin-OTC, which can be relatively low-key and fly under Paypal's radar.
Activity: 7
Ah darn. What frustrating news! I definitely really liked this service.

Anyway, please check your coincard email, mndrix. I sent you 50 BTC for an order I made right before your site went down for maintenance. I now see why I haven't received the paypal funds.
Pages:
Jump to: