Pages:
Author

Topic: CoinPal beta - Buying bitcoins with PayPal - page 12. (Read 170543 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 273
@mndrix here's a driveby idea:  What about offering bitcoin subscriptions?  It would stabilise exchange rates during the inflationary period, reduce risk, and you could create an open futures market to fill them Smiley
vip
Activity: 447
Merit: 258
Have you considered making an automated service for selling MoneyPak for bitcoins? These can't be chargebacked, right? If it's possible, it should really help with maintaining cash for CoinCard while obviating your need to buy MoneyPak on the forum.

I have considered something similar.  I may pursue it further once my schedule lightens up.

For customers who have linked their PGP key to their CoinPal account, OTC ratings are now automatic.  Within an hour of linking your account, your OTC rating will be updated.  As you place new, successful orders, your rating will be updated if justified.  Likewise, chargebacks are automatically reported through negative ratings.
I'm confused about the "Order ID" part of linking PGP. Does it need to be the order ID of any one of my orders, the first one, all of them?

Any order ID will work.  I'll try to clarify the instructions.  Thanks for the feedback.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054
I have to concentrate on some big projects that are coming up (not related to Bitcoin) and won't be able to devote much time to the forum for the next several months.  I'll still manage CoinPal as I have over the last few months.  I'll try to check in on this thread about once a week, usually on Fridays.  If you notice problems with CoinPal, please contact me at [email protected] so that I can fix them right away.
Good luck with those projects. I hope managing CoinPal/CoinCard will include improvements to their automation, robustness, prices and limits.

Have you considered making an automated service for selling MoneyPak for bitcoins? These can't be chargebacked, right? If it's possible, it should really help with maintaining cash for CoinCard while obviating your need to buy MoneyPak on the forum.

For customers who have linked their PGP key to their CoinPal account, OTC ratings are now automatic.  Within an hour of linking your account, your OTC rating will be updated.  As you place new, successful orders, your rating will be updated if justified.  Likewise, chargebacks are automatically reported through negative ratings.
I'm confused about the "Order ID" part of linking PGP. Does it need to be the order ID of any one of my orders, the first one, all of them?
vip

If CoinPal has already rated you for past trades, new trades may not give you a higher rating immediately.  The ratings are based on PayPal payment age and volume.  This is essentially the same formula I was using when rating OTC users manually.

Thanks to nanotube for making the automated ratings possible.
vip
I have to concentrate on some big projects that are coming up (not related to Bitcoin) and won't be able to devote much time to the forum for the next several months.  I'll still manage CoinPal as I have over the last few months.  I'll try to check in on this thread about once a week, usually on Fridays.  If you notice problems with CoinPal, please contact me at [email protected] so that I can fix them right away.
vip
repeat customer = same email, correct?

Yes, that's right.
legendary
Merit: 1431
I've reduced fees for repeat customers by .5 percentage points.  This reflects my reduced costs for servicing such customers.  First-time buyers still pay approximately the same as they did before.
repeat customer = same email, correct?
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
bitcoin address was accepted, thanks

e - just received, thanks
vip
I've reduced fees for repeat customers by .5 percentage points.  This reflects my reduced costs for servicing such customers.  First-time buyers still pay approximately the same as they did before.
vip
Same, getting error when putting my receive address in.

I've restarted some server components and the site appears to be working fine now.  I'll investigate the failures later this morning.  Thanks for the reports.
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
yeah I tried 4 different addresses but it still says its wrong.
hope you can fix it  Smiley
Activity: 10
I get the same error, just postin to confirm other 2 posters' claims
Activity: 87
Merit: 12
Same, getting error when putting my receive address in.
Activity: 1
Getting error when putting my Bitcoin address in.
vip
Based on some calculations of the discount rate of credit card scammers, I've increased the purchase limits for returning customers more rapidly than I was doing before.  I've also added a slight purchase limit increase for customers three days after their first purchase.  This 3-day increase is experimental and I may remove it on short notice.

For OTC users who have linked their GPG key to CoinPal, I've increased the purchase limits further still.  You'll now get more credit for positive ratings and being well-connected in the web of trust.

I've also upgraded bitcoind to a nightly build that includes the deadlock fix.  Hopefully, the service can now operate uninterrupted.

As always, I welcome feedback.
vip
bitcoind hung last night causing the errors you observed.  It's restarted now and orders are coming through again.  On Friday, I'll try and upgrade my bitcoind to a version with the deadlock patch to prevent this from happening again.
donator
Merit: 1054
Is there a problem with the site? I've been trying to use it and I keep getting the "invalid bitcoin address" message with several different addresses.
Looks like there is indeed a problem. I have used it successfully twice before, but now I get this message too.
Activity: 7
Hey guys,

Many thanks for the very prompt replies. Yeah I think my address did just change for the hell of it, as the only previous transaction was my free 0.05 Bitcoins, and I've already had 3 different addresses. But my coins have come through now, think I'm new to the system and it takes a little while to get up to speed when you first start using it. Will definitely do some more reading around though.

Cheers.  Cool
Activity: 373
Merit: 250
EDIT:  Already answered by cdhowie while I was typing.  Oh well, posting anyway.

The client likes to make new addresses for you automatically.  I think it's supposed to happen only after you receive coins on a certain address (to encourage you to only use each address once) though I could swear it sometimes makes new ones just for the heck of it, lol.

Rest assured, as long as the address appears in your Address Book, it is valid and you will be able to accept coins on it as many times as you wish.  However, it is probably best to get into the habit of using each address only once, and clearly labeling each one so you know exactly where the coins came from.
Activity: 182
Merit: 107
Is there anywhere particularly good or useful that I can read the basics of what is going on? I just paid for 12 Bitcoins from CoinPal and my Bitcoin address had mysteriously changed again, with my coins being sent to my old address...are they lost to the void now and have I lost my money? Why would the address change if there were no transactions taking place? Or do they do it randomly when generating coins as well? Sorry having some probably quite simple and silly complications here.

The GUI client will periodically present you with a new address, I think after a transaction is received at the one that was displayed before.  None of this matters though, because your client never discards secret keys.  In other words, as long as you have not lost your wallet, you will always be able to use coins that arrive at any address your client has ever created for itself.
Pages:
Jump to: