Pages:
Author

Topic: COMPLETED: Request for an RPC capable fork of cgminer (155 BTC pledged and paid) - page 9. (Read 19174 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Theres so many projects that I want to help out!  Bitcoiners are still coming up with great ideas.

I'll pledge 10 BTC.  I'll pledge 5 more if I ckolivas pulls the code into his main branch (even if he codes it).  I think this would help us by keeping bugs to a minimum.  Multiple versions of cgminer are sure to only complicate things and slow features down.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Goddamnit that's the sum total of how much I've earned in donations in total for cgminer  Angry

I'll have to think about it since I don't have the free time I did when I worked on cgminer to begin with.
Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
I pledge 10BTC towards bounty (and as previously stated.. a cgminer fork.. not some poclbm version)
Activity: 349
Merit: 250
Since I don't like C that much, I am using Python as my primary language. I think we can use poclbm as a foundation, and do the following implementation:

I wouldn't have any interest in poclbm based miner.  cgminer is simply put the best miner hands down.  Multiple GPU per instance, superior block change handling, ADL support built in (temp/clocks), etc.  To recreate all the advantages of cgminer in another miner and then add RPC support on top of that would be very difficult and beyond the scope of this bounty.

What DeathAndTaxes said...  I pledged for a forked version of cgminer, not a new one...
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Since I don't like C that much, I am using Python as my primary language. I think we can use poclbm as a foundation, and do the following implementation:

I wouldn't have any interest in poclbm based miner.  cgminer is simply put the best miner hands down.  Multiple GPU per instance, superior block change handling, ADL support built in (temp/clocks), etc.  To recreate all the advantages of cgminer in another miner and then add RPC support on top of that would be very difficult and beyond the scope of this bounty.
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
Bitcoin believer
It's exactly what I am trying to implement in the last 2 months. If RPC is possible for a miner, then a experienced system adminstrator could help integrate it into any kind monitor program (e.g. Nagios, Munin, Zenoss, Zabbix,.... etc.).

1. Auto kernel tuning (the algorithm could be referenced to cgminer)
2. Temp / Fan auto control (the algorithm could also be ref to cgminer)
3. Status monitoring (pull mode and push mode)

PS. Regarding to 3, the pull mode is like "Getting status every 5 minutes", and the push mode is like "Send status as soon as I got any news".

I am thinking of using a web framework like Django or web.py to implement the JSON interface in a RESTful way.
Activity: 349
Merit: 250
I solemnly pledge 30 btc to the completion of the project ;-)
donator
Gerald Davis
why don't ask ckolivas to do this?

I have and he didn't seem interested.  Obviously he isn't excluded from the bounty and given his knowledge related to the internal workings of cgminer could easily claim the bounty if he is interested in perusing it.  If he isn't then the bounty opens development to anyone else so there is no need for us to continually "pester" him w/ a request he isn't interested in.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
why don't ask ckolivas to do this?
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
I pledge 30 btc to the completion of the project.  Cheesy
donator
Gerald Davis
For those of us with hashing farms there is interest in taking the existing cgminer (best miner platform bar none) and adding RPC support.  This would enable the development of a variety of monitoring & management front ends (console, web or smartphone for example).

To establish a baseline for the project I have come up with some general conditions for a bounty.  These conditions aren't set in stone and I am willing to modify them if others (who pledge) see need for changes to the conditions.  This is just an attempt to jump-start a project.  If any developer sees an issue with the constraints please indicate in the thread.

I am willing to pledge 30 BTC towards either integrating the following features into a future version of cgminer or developing a fork of cgminer project which will be "rpc only".  Given the amount of new code and the amount of existing cgminer code which would be no longer needed a fork may be the best route however I would leave that up to any potential developers.

The executable:
* A daemon which is started by config file.
* No command line output necessary or desired (although may be useful for troubleshooting)
* Responds to RPCs.  Although I am not a huge fan or JSON RPC given it near universal usage in other bitcoin apps it likely is a good candidate.

The daemon should respond to the following RPC (at a minimum) to satisfy the bounty:
* Start/stop/restart individual GPUs (on restart recheck config file for any changes)
* Shutdown instance (stop all GPU, and end cgminer)
* Report current monitors (a min of current temp/load/clock/hashing speed)
* Report global output (a min of total shares, accepted shares, rejected shares, stale shares, etc)
* Report individual card output (same but on per card basis)
* Report any failures (a min of card down & pool not responding)

Obviously more advanced features could be added in the future (changing clock speeds, voltage, intensity, etc) however those could be handled by future bounties/donations once project is up and running.  This is just a rough draft but the hope is it will spark attention of potential developers and further discussion among those interested in RPC capable cgminer.

Amounts pledged (any additional limits/requirements marked):
* DeathAndTaxes - 30 BTC (+5 BTC more if integrated into the mainline instead of a fork)
* Gigasvps - 30 BTC
* Tnkflx - 30 BTC
* abracadabra - 10 BTC
* Red Emerald - 10 BTC (+5 BTC more if integrated into the mainline instead of a fork)
* ThiagoCMC - 5 BTC
* gnar1ta$ - 10 BTC (+5 BTC more if integrated into the mainline instead of a fork)
* Chefnet -  (+15 BTC only if integrated into the mainline instead of a fork)

Total Pledged: 125 BTC (30 BTC for integration into mainline)

Edit 1/3/2012: All pledges have been paid in full as verified by the two developers.
Pages:
Jump to: