Pages:
Author

Topic: Could bitcoin save the music industry? - page 4. (Read 2634 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
June 18, 2014, 04:30:09 PM
The industry could end up dying, and be much better off for it.

music industry wont die. just the corporations in it... music and bitcoin cant be killed,only businesses/humans can

Yes, that's what I meant by saying the industry will die. Get rid of the middlemen, who are simply parasites
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
June 18, 2014, 03:36:09 PM

music industry wont die. just the corporations in it... music and bitcoin cant be killed,only businesses/humans can

my idea could be developed by anyone and offer artists a better rate then spotify/youtube. which will help the music industry, just not th music industrialists
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
June 18, 2014, 03:31:57 PM

Artists can now produce recordings themselves, distribute recordings themselves, promote themselves, and now they can receive the payments themselves. Almost all the middlemen are gone when it's structured like that. I feel tempted to say that better artists will get more recognition if that became the prevalent model (some less commercially oriented artists these days are still seduced by the cachet of signing a record contract)
legendary
June 18, 2014, 03:22:15 PM
I don't see or understand the problem this is a solution to, could you tell me why an API is bad?

its not about an API exactly, its more about after the API, that then has to reference a database, and then has to deduct funds from user accounts, then has to do many other tasks.

bitcoin can get rid of alot of code, and other unneeded things and ensure the music labels get funds that they can clearly see and use instantly.
imagine the music labels not having to submit a privkey to youtube, just a public key to receive funds and to be part of youtube/spotify

its now known that music labels get paid $0.007per stream/play. so the solution in my last post can take alot of code out of the subscription process, remove accounting/payment processing and gives msic artists instant access to their funds.

i only mention it incase any geeks that love music wanted to develop such an app, and charge.. $0.008 per song(to incentivise record labls to use the geeks new app)

all music artists need to do then is upload their mastercopy of their song, give it a title, description, and post a unique bitcoin public address to receive revenue on
legendary
June 18, 2014, 03:11:44 PM
thinking of methods that can work

imagine a song had a bitcoin address, users had a single address.. and this was all controlled by spotify/itunes/future youtube app

a user has their own wallet address to deposit funds into to cover costs(subscriptions). when a person chooses a song and pushes play, a couple bit's are sent to the songs address and spotify verifies which song was selected and the users client plays that song.

spotify/youtube no longer see's an api like "franky1 requests barbiegirl" and then streams the song to franky1

instead the services just check the blockchain and the transaction would look like this (standard raw transaction)

vin: 1FrankyAddress
Vout:1AquaBarbiegirladdress
Value: 0.00000300
Vout:1youtubegreedaddress
Value: 0.00000100

thus seeing franky1 chose barbiegirl and then streams the song to franky1. youtube gets their 25% cut and the music artist gets theirs. no payment processors, no fiddly accounting packages, no big databases of whats been requested, etc, etc

i thought of the brainfart above after hearing on the radio of youtube wanting to start a subcription service:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27891883
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
June 18, 2014, 02:59:56 PM
This is silliness, nothing can save the music industry as we know it. The future of digital content (be it music, videos, whatever) is entirely donation / crowdsource based. All information wants to be free, and it will get its way sooner or later. Ergo, copyright will soon be obsolete.

Look at Star Citizen for a good example of what is possible with a donation model.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Cryptocurrency is my new obsession
June 17, 2014, 09:37:26 PM
People need to prove to the music industry that Bitcoin is worth embracing first.  Recently, the first major label artist announced that they were accepting bitcoin and Reddit barely flinched.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/search?q=mastodon&restrict_sr=on
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029
June 17, 2014, 06:30:35 PM
Interesting concept. As we know, artist are already proving that they are embracing Bitcoin. We see this with the large number of musicians who have recently begun to accept Bitcoin.
Activity: 71
June 17, 2014, 05:45:22 PM
maybe can do it that but only time will tell
Activity: 145
June 14, 2014, 04:49:51 PM
maybe the question should be next: could Bitcoin replace iTunes in the music industry?
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196
Reputation first.
June 13, 2014, 06:56:52 PM
No, bitcoin don't have all of this power !

If we want to save music industry, we mustn't download music from internet  Grin
Activity: 518
Merit: 250
June 13, 2014, 06:38:41 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to store music on the blockchain the same way the ledger is stored? Then you could sell private keys that give a program access to the data so that the music can be streamed directly from the blockchain? Is this kind of thing possible with bitcoin or another alt-coin in the future? Because this would have positive impact on the music industry as well as any other industry that are having issues with piracy. I'm just trying to stay informed about the potential impact of this technology.  

Music copying will be possible, even if music is streamed. One could record directly from the sound output.  Back in the 80s people could did that, and that will always work.

I think the music industry needs to change business model, the current model is not sustainable. For example, an ad-based model. Place ads on a site where you can listen your songs. Each time a fan listens a song online, you get paid by the ads.  Or incorporate ads inside your mp3s (or lyrics) that people can download for free, paid by customer companies. An alternative is the Google data collection business model. To go against copying is a dead end, we are reaching the technological state where we can make atom based movies and store data inside dna.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.
June 13, 2014, 06:16:31 PM
Could you do this using a protocol in a similar way that bitcoin does?
No.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
June 13, 2014, 05:58:27 PM
Could you do this using a protocol in a similar way that bitcoin does? You could force the nodes on the network to change the encryption keys during a transfer of ownership. The same way bitcoin does by signing data, hashing, then signing again. Am I wrong? Then the network could serve music to only one node at a time. Discrepancies in the protocol would result in a disconnect from the network.
legendary
June 13, 2014, 05:40:20 PM
I can't imagine how big the blockchain would be if the actual music is stored on it. The purpose of the blockchain is to solve the trust issue on an open ledger. Music doesn't need that. It would be pointless to create a music blockchain.

Theres no need for music to be stored on it just licensing info.
However, how is one to overcome piracy?

the way i interpreted what the OP meant was actual songs were stored on the blockchain. and a program such as itunes stored privkeys. so that when a user buys a song they are just buying the privkey to access the song. the flaw i seen was a big fat blockchain bloating peoples hard drives.

the other concept as those quoted above have envisioned is that each public key represents a song licence. and that the software stores the privkeys to show users have access to the licence to then be able to play a song from a separate music cloud host. but that's then centralizing it, where musicians have to upload to a central cloud  and then get the service to sell the songs on their behalf.

i see another flaw, which affects both cases. the communication of the privkey. if a customer gets to see the privkey he can pass it to all his contacts and they get the song for free. so how to update the privkey wallet of customers, with new privkeys without them actually seeing the privkey.

legendary
June 13, 2014, 05:28:16 PM
Thanks dwma, I will look up the Bitshares Music project. So does anybody know of an alt-coin project that attempts to facilitate the transfer of ownership of encrypted or hidden data?

Encryption is not copy protection.

TL;DR: Your are trusting the viewer to not retain the decryption key after viewing the work.
June 13, 2014, 05:23:29 PM
Thanks dwma, I will look up the Bitshares Music project. So does anybody know of an alt-coin project that attempts to facilitate the transfer of ownership of encrypted or hidden data?
June 13, 2014, 05:13:25 PM
I see, thanks guys you gave me something to think about. It's not about the data on the blockchain it's about the ownership. So you are saying would need a completely different system to store sensitive hidden data like licence info or software keys.
legendary
June 13, 2014, 05:02:37 PM
Because this would have positive impact on the music industry as well as any other industry that are having issues with piracy.  

This is becoming a FAQ.

• The Bitcoin blockchain uses "proof-of-work" to prevent counterfeiting.
  • The entertainment industry has been pushing to conflate unauthorized copying with counterfeiting physical goods.
  • People then confuse the Block-chain with "copy protection": when in fact, it has the opposite purpose.

People are encouraged to keep a copy of the block-chain. Most people don't bother because it is inconvenient or expensive. The only closely guarded secret in bitcoin is the private keys for spending coins. They are guarded secrets because they have no "copy protection".

Music with effective copy protection is worthless anyway: it is a means to share information. If it can't be heard, what is the point?
Activity: 405
Merit: 250
June 13, 2014, 04:59:52 PM

You might wish to read a bit about Bitshares Music.  They're trying to tackle a similar problem, but streaming off the blockchain would be inferior to just downloading an mp3.  A specialized DAC/DAE could do this type of stuff and we may very well see it disrupt the music industry 10 years from now.  You pay the DAC and it gives you the music.  Eliminating the parasitic middlemen that have plagued the music industry for decades.
Pages:
Jump to: