Pages:
Author

Topic: Cracking the Code - page 2. (Read 7661 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
November 29, 2013, 10:50:47 PM
BTW:  when you branch off a new alt coin as in your scenario here everyone that has Bitcoins at that point also gets the same number of your new alt coins.  We can cash them all in!  We can cash them all in as fast as we can find some poor sucker that want to buy them (for real Bitcoins).  We can increase our Bitcoin holdings as we crash your silly little alt coin and pound it into the dust.

Those poor saps that are left holding your new alt would be the real losers - hopefully your cartel.

Good to see I won the argument. Now you resort to FUD.
Have no answer I see.

You have no answer I see:

Your definition of "valid" requires 100% top-down, centralized control. When given a conflict of chains, the merchants are going to be confused, because customers will demand they honor the coins they received on each chain. Customers are innocent. Why should they suffer?

I see you believe in a top-down, centralized crypto-currency.

Well I believe only a currency that is decentralized will survive because top-down, centralized is very easy to attack.

That is more than an opinion, it is intelligence.

You can't refute the facts, so you resort to ad hom attacks, then say you won because nobody bothers to respond to it?
Activity: 518
Merit: 521
November 29, 2013, 10:48:58 PM
BTW:  when you branch off a new alt coin as in your scenario here everyone that has Bitcoins at that point also gets the same number of your new alt coins.  We can cash them all in!  We can cash them all in as fast as we can find some poor sucker that want to buy them (for real Bitcoins).  We can increase our Bitcoin holdings as we crash your silly little alt coin and pound it into the dust.

Those poor saps that are left holding your new alt would be the real losers - hopefully your cartel.

Have no answer I see.

They can cash in your shorter chain as fast as they can too.

You have no answer I see:

Your definition of "valid" requires 100% top-down, centralized control. When given a conflict of chains, the merchants are going to be confused, because customers will demand they honor the coins they received on each chain. Customers are innocent. Why should they suffer?

Well I believe only a currency that is decentralized will survive because top-down, centralized is very easy to attack.

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
November 29, 2013, 10:48:53 PM
BTW:  when you branch off a new alt coin as in your scenario here everyone that has Bitcoins at that point also gets the same number of your new alt coins.  We can cash them all in!  We can cash them all in as fast as we can find some poor sucker that want to buy them (for real Bitcoins).  We can increase our Bitcoin holdings as we crash your silly little alt coin and pound it into the dust.

Actually, as long as the format remains the same which the silly alt that attempted this did (I don't remember what it was called, maybe bitcoin2?), any transactions you make that are valid on either chain will propagate to both. Otherwise the alt would specifically have to create a new addressing/tx format incompatible with bitcoin1 and simply carry over the original tx out set.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
November 29, 2013, 10:46:59 PM
BTW:  when you branch off a new alt coin as in your scenario here everyone that has Bitcoins at that point also gets the same number of your new alt coins.  We can cash them all in!  We can cash them all in as fast as we can find some poor sucker that want to buy them (for real Bitcoins).  We can increase our Bitcoin holdings as we crash your silly little alt coin and pound it into the dust.

Have no answer I see.
November 29, 2013, 10:45:59 PM

Thanks for confirming I won the argument by resorting to FUD (grasping at threads).
legendary
November 29, 2013, 10:44:11 PM

legendary
November 29, 2013, 10:40:14 PM
If I understand correctly, this is important for example because your public address is not revealed until you spend from it.

How many freshly created public addresses that have yet to be funded and linked to is needed to negate the above?

You don't reveal your public address to the network when it is funded. The sender will hash your public address and send the hash to the network. Bitcoin 101.

Or did I miss your point?
Bruno,

this is not the thread you were looking for (just an old jedi mind trick)
November 29, 2013, 10:38:15 PM
Which chain is the correct one?
The one that contains only valid blocks which contain valid transactions.

Any other chain is a new alt coin and is not Bitcoin.

I am pretty sure most people are going to give up on that insecure shorter chain which you call "Bitcoin" and "valid". For the masses it will feel like "invalid". Your technical arguments won't matter at all to them.

Your opinion.  We shall see.

November 29, 2013, 10:36:46 PM
If I understand correctly, this is important for example because your public address is not revealed until you spend from it.

How many freshly created public addresses that have yet to be funded and linked to is needed to negate the above?

You don't reveal your public address to the network when it is funded. The sender will hash your public address and send the hash to the network. Bitcoin 101.

Or did I miss your point?
legendary
November 29, 2013, 10:35:53 PM
The one that contains only valid blocks which contain valid transactions.

Any other chain is a new alt coin and is not Bitcoin.

I am pretty sure most people are going to give up on that insecure shorter chain which you call "Bitcoin" and "valid". For the masses it will feel like "invalid". Your technical arguments won't matter at all to them.

Your opinion.  We shall see.
November 29, 2013, 10:33:50 PM
Folks please realize that Etlase2 feels he is a competitor to me because he is working on Decrits (not proof-of-work) and I am possibly working on a proof-of-work altcoin.

So he has a vested interest to discredit any attack I have described which my potential altcoin would fix. This is pure selfishness at the cost of bettering our crypto-currency future. I am very disappointed to see him stoop this low in his ethics. I had higher hopes on him and his altcoin.

You have done a well enough job discrediting yourself. Sorry if you can't handle it when someone who actually knows what they're talking about addresses your points.

This requires a huge suspension of disbelief, something I am not fond of doing unless I am watching a movie or reading a book. Bitcoin and its ilk, quite unlike EFT, are push transactions, not pull. I'm sure somewhere in the decapages of rants you have on this subject you've touched on this, but I and everyone else following this argument should find it excessively unlikely that the masses will be so willing to give up the newfound power of being their own bank to Amazon or whomever for the sake of "1-click purchases", when the reality is URIs can make it pretty darn close to that as it is.

If this is the basis for your argument, it's pathetic.

Complete nonsense and FUD.

Spending "one-click" on Amazon would not require that balances be kept offchain in an Amazon wallet. Why do you guys keep repeating this offchain nonsense. I never claimed that!

Where did I claim that? I quoted myself so you can see that I didn't.

Amazon's customers will still keep their balances onchain, and the Amazon "1-click" will simply deduct from the block chain with a normal block chain transaction.

What I did claim is that it would require a big suspension of disbelief to think that this will be the norm. Of course, it's a requirement for your nonsensical attack.

And isn't just an altcoin, because of the havok wrecked by double-spends one into each chain

Not only is it an altcoin, it's already been done. Guess what? It went nowhere.

and also the attacker's excess hash rate applied to dropping transactions from the shorter chain. No solution can stop the attacker from putting his customers' transactions in those valid blocks on the shorter chain and delaying everyone else in the shorter chain.

And this is completely tertiary to your attack, and is a standard attack against bitcoin as I pointed out.

By which Gavin-God do you guarantee that all nodes will choose that choice?

It is a matter of consensus. Which I pointed out in the prior post, and defeated you again, by saying:

Trying to hamfist a change like this on the bitcoin population should be no less difficult than changing the bitcoin protocol itself, therefore there is little advantage to one major cartel over everyone not part of the cartel.

What the fuck do amazon customers care if their transactions confirm quicker? Amazon is in control of everything anyway, under your scenario.
November 29, 2013, 10:33:48 PM
Another good example of what I mean is this

As for the private keys, yes the customer will let Amazon store them, but the balances will still be onchain.

If Amazon is holding customers private keys, then Amazon is already holding all of customers money. Completely. There is no need for Amazon to do on-chain transactions, since all that would do is add complexity and expense to their system. But, as I said, AnonyMint doesn't understand the difference or the concepts of on and off chain transactions.

Would you please stop your intentional (as you admitted upthread) FUD. You have made no point at all (including the post before the above quoted one).

Amazon can't go spending the customer's balances. The balances are still onchain and the customer can spend them else where too, not just on Amazon.
November 29, 2013, 10:28:00 PM
How did the protocol violations get into the chain?  Invalid blocks are not put in the chain.  Invalid blocks are not forwarded.

The shorter chain will indeed ignore the longer chain.

The longer chain can still attack (with excess hash rate) with valid blocks which drop transactions of others in the shorter chain.

The rest of the system does not see invalid blocks and if it does it drops them.

Which system? By which God that holds a gun to the head of every node can you guarantee the voting of nodes for what they prefer?

As I said before if you have been able to get an alternate client out there that does accept these invalid blocks then you have simply branched off an alt coin.  Bitcoin remains.  All the Bitcoin clients will continue to ignore all your invalid blocks and wait for valid ones.

How do define what is "Bitcoin" at that point?

You have the value from the original Bitcoin being double-spent into two competing chains.

As a merchant which chain should I accept as valid and why?

And remember the shorter chain will have delayed transactions and be under continual attack. I am pretty sure most people are going to give up on that insecure shorter chain which you call "Bitcoin" and "valid". For the masses it will feel like "invalid". Your technical arguments won't matter at all to them.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 29, 2013, 10:25:02 PM

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
November 29, 2013, 10:24:20 PM
Another good example of what I mean is this

As for the private keys, yes the customer will let Amazon store them, but the balances will still be onchain.

If Amazon is holding customers private keys, then Amazon is already holding all of customers money. Completely. There is no need for Amazon to do on-chain transactions, since all that would do is add complexity and expense to their system. But, as I said, AnonyMint doesn't understand the difference or the concepts of on and off chain transactions.
legendary
November 29, 2013, 10:21:26 PM
Only one question.  You claim that there is a situation with protocol violations "in the chain", in fact the client has to choose between two chains - both with protocol violations.

How did the protocol violations get into the chain?  Invalid blocks are not put in the chain.  Invalid blocks are not forwarded.  The rest of the system does not see invalid blocks and if it does it drops them.

Sure, any miner can spit out an invalid block.  But all the Bitcoin nodes that see it as invalid will drop it.  They will wait for the next valid block to come along and accept that one.

In your scenario this may take a while.  In your scenario there may be several invalid blocks received during that time but the Bitcoin nodes will reject them all and continue to wait for the valid block.

As I said before if you have been able to get an alternate client out there that does accept these invalid blocks then you have simply branched off an alt coin.  Bitcoin remains.  All the Bitcoin clients will continue to ignore all your invalid blocks and wait for valid ones.

Now you say they can take some of their excess hash power and produce valid blocks with only their customers in them - sure that is their right and those blocks will be accepted.  The non-customer transactions will have to wait for a different miner to pick them up and get them into a block.

Every miner is free to pick and choose which transactions they include and which ones they don't.  Nothing new there.

My point is that your scenario where there are protocol violations in the Bitcoin branch makes no sense by definition.  The Bitcoin branch is the one that contains only valid blocks per the Bitcoin protocol.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
November 29, 2013, 10:19:06 PM
Forking means all the value from before the fork can be double-spent, one in each chain.

No, it can't be. It creates two different coins. You can't double-spend your fake coins on the bitcoin network that rejected your fake blocks. You have coins that can only be spent on the valid chain, and different coins that can be spent on the new invalid chain. It's no more a threat than Litecoin, since people using Bitcoins will simply not accept your invalid coins.

And it doesn't stop the longer chain from including all the transactions (which are not double-spends) from the shorter chain.

This just makes the invalid chain less trustworthy, because while Bitcoin continues to track every coin's history, this invalid chain will keep bringing in outside coins that may or may not even exist any more. It would be as if Bitcoin randomly brought in Litecoin transactions into its blocks. Chaos.

Clients and nodes have a rule and that is to choose the longest chain. They need to follow this rule, otherwise proof-of-work isn't secure.

When faced with a block chain which is longest, yet has a protocol variation, the clients and nodes must make a choice of which protocol rule violation they wish to make.

This is what I mean when I say you don't know how Bitcoin works. Rule #1, always, is to check that each transaction and each block is valid. No rules go before this, and if it is invalid, it is dropped and not even rebroadcast to the other nodes, so invalid transactions and blocks don't even get a chance to propagate through the network. After that the rule about longer chains comes in. Yes, I am 100% sure of this.

I did not write transaction fees will go to zero. I wrote the opposite, which is they will either increase too much or they will be insufficient relative to the value that you want the network to have.

If they are too much, competition in the form of new miners will come in and drive them down. If they are insufficient, private interests will come in to try to secure the network. As I said, this has all been discussed heavily years before you even found out about Bitcoin.

So, let me reiterate:

AnonyMint doesn't understand the system, is wrong, and others should just ignore him.
November 29, 2013, 10:02:48 PM
Folks please realize that Etlase2 feels he is a competitor to me because he is working on Decrits (not proof-of-work) and I am possibly working on a proof-of-work altcoin.

So he has a vested interest to discredit any attack I have described which my potential altcoin would fix. This is pure selfishness at the cost of bettering our crypto-currency future. I am very disappointed to see him stoop this low in his ethics. I had higher hopes on him and his altcoin.

Because the customers of Amazon.com click an order button on Amazon.com, they don't download a client. The non-mining node (for all customers) will be on Amazon.com's server.

This requires a huge suspension of disbelief, something I am not fond of doing unless I am watching a movie or reading a book. Bitcoin and its ilk, quite unlike EFT, are push transactions, not pull. I'm sure somewhere in the decapages of rants you have on this subject you've touched on this, but I and everyone else following this argument should find it excessively unlikely that the masses will be so willing to give up the newfound power of being their own bank to Amazon or whomever for the sake of "1-click purchases", when the reality is URIs can make it pretty darn close to that as it is.

If this is the basis for your argument, it's pathetic.

Complete nonsense and FUD.

Spending "one-click" on Amazon would not require that balances be kept offchain in an Amazon wallet. Why do you guys keep repeating this offchain nonsense. I never claimed that!

Amazon's customers will still keep their balances onchain, and the Amazon "1-click" will simply deduct from the block chain with a normal block chain transaction.

The point is Amazon controls the non-mining node which is interfacing with the Bitcoin network.

This is much more convenient for customers and the masses hate difficult things. They will obviously prefer to go click a button at Amazon.com than to download a client and fiddle. Besides Amazon.com may not allow them to use an external client. Most masses go with the flow. They don't give a sh8t about your idealistic view. They just want to complete their order as easily as possible (no downloads, no technical hoops to jump through).

Masses don't want to lose their private keys. They don't want to worry about where they will safe keep them. They don't give a sh8t about your idealistic view of every man is an island hunkered down in their bunker clutching their memory card of private keys in one hand and a shotgun in the other.

Your fanaticism is either feigned or you are in the tinfoil hat category.

Gavin claims to know an unimplemented solution for that attack, which I linked upthread (page 2 I think) where I mentioned that claim of yours.

The best the attacker can do to avoid Gavin's solution is to include his customers' transactions in the valid blocks to avoid detection by Gavin's solution.

I proposed a potential solution over a year and a half ago. Bells, whistles, and/or stagnation of the bitcoin protocol tend to be of higher priority than protecting the block chain.

No disagreement from me.

Incorrect because the longer chain has control it can change the protocol for block period of the longer chain to whatever it wants.

Again, it's an altcoin. Even SPV nodes would reject this as the difficulty between blocks would drop accordingly and would no longer even be valid for those receiving only the headers. Trying to hamfist a change like this on the bitcoin population should be no less difficult than changing the bitcoin protocol itself, therefore there is little advantage to one major cartel over everyone not part of the cartel.

That is an irrelevant point. It adds no strength to your argument that nodes which prefer the shorter chain prefer the shorter chain.

There are many people who want Bitcoin to adopt a shorter block period. Many people know how to alter a few lines in an open source code and offer a binary download. This is only useful if the longer chain exists. A shorter chain fork with a different protocol would not have the same force, because the main chain would be longer and double-spends would not be contentious nor could the attacker significantly disrupt transactions. Not contentious because the masses are not going to approve of a chain that isn't secure because it is shorter and thus weaker security.

And isn't just an altcoin, because of the havok wrecked by double-spends one into each chain and also the attacker's excess hash rate applied to dropping transactions from the shorter chain. No solution can stop the attacker from putting his customers' transactions in those valid blocks on the shorter chain and delaying everyone else in the shorter chain.

The difference is how I explained it to BurtW in the prior post (reread my prior post, I was adding to it as you were replying). There is a protocol error in both the longer and shorter chain. This is much worse for Bitcoin than a better altcoin, it wrecks havoc in Bitcoin's chain.

Yes, bitcoin is easy to attack, that is nothing new. The cartel attack is unnecessary bloviation.

Your (feigned?) tinfoil fanaticism is the only bloviation I see proven.

Clients and nodes have a rule and that is to choose the longest chain. They need to follow this rule, otherwise proof-of-work isn't secure.

When faced with a block chain which is longest, yet has a protocol variation, the clients and nodes must make a choice of which protocol rule violation they wish to make.

There is no choice to be made. The chain is either valid or it is not. A longer chain with invalid blocks (extra coins or modified difficulty or whatever else) does not enter into consideration.

By which Gavin-God do you guarantee that all nodes will choose that choice?

Does your God hold a shotgun to the head of every person and every large Amazon running a node (on behalf of the dumb customers)?

Your definition of "valid" is not enforceable.
November 29, 2013, 09:45:38 PM

There is no choice to be made. The chain is either valid or it is not. A longer chain with invalid blocks (extra coins or modified difficulty or whatever else) does not enter into consideration.
November 29, 2013, 09:42:30 PM
AnonyMint doesn't understand how blockchain forking works, and that it creates two distinct currencies instead of one you can double spend.

A spend from the blocks prior to the creation of the longer chain, can appear on both the longer chain and to a different recipient on the shorter chain. Forking means all the value from before the fork can be double-spent, one in each chain.

He doesn't understand that invalid blockchains can't include blocks from valid ones, or the other way around, because they are chains with each block needing to reference the prior block.

Correct, but this doesn't stop the attacker from putting valid blocks on the shorter chain which drop transactions.

And it doesn't stop the longer chain from including all the transactions (which are not double-spends) from the shorter chain.

So I don't know why you claim I don't understand that. Nothing I wrote above conflicts with this.

He doesn't understand that clients and nodes enforce Bitcoin rules, not miners, and clients don't care which chain is the longest if the longest is invalid.

You can not be sure that 100% of clients and nodes will choose the insecure shorter chain. It is provably insecure because the attacker can use the excess hash rate (needs only 50% to create the longer chain, rest is excess) to attack the shorter chain with valid blocks which drop transactions.

If you brain is too slow to get that overall analysis, then it isn't my problem.

He also doesn't understand the difference between offchain and onchain transactions, or any of the economics around transaction fees, believing that once block rewards go away, transaction fees will go to zero.

I did not write transaction fees will go to zero. I wrote the opposite, which is they will either increase too much or they will be insufficient relative to the value that you want the network to have. There is no middle ground between the two bad outcomes with transaction fees. Yes I would prefer to make them zero and perpetual coin rewards in an altcoin, because this would entirely solve the problem of this entire thread.

You proven to me many times in the past in other threads that you are dolt. So please stop wasting my time.

At least try to read more carefully before you embarrass yourself over and over every time you debate me.

I suggest instead of continuing to allow him to fill thread after thread with his nonsense and continuously burry rebuttals to his idiocy under more FUD, that people simply reply that AnonyMint doesn't understand the system, is wrong, and that others should just ignore him.

Well folks that demonstrates that why he is not even reading carefully and making so many embarrassing errors. He is just trying to spread FUD.
Pages:
Jump to: