Pages:
Author

Topic: Cryptopia exchange hacked - page 13. (Read 4052 times)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0
February 14, 2019, 05:49:31 AM
Judging by the fact that they do not give any updates, I assume that the funds of users are lost. This is another point that storing funds in your account is a risk.
Activity: 1302
Merit: 540
February 12, 2019, 06:40:42 AM
i don't have any funds on Cryptopia myself. but feel with everyone involved
and it just shows again how important it is to manage the funds yourself Lips sealed
it's exciting to see what the police are gonna do here.
Only have small value of tokens and same with you I'm just curious on how police will track those hackers behind this incident, and how they
will manage to resolve issue like this, a big hint for all the hackers and scammers around if this issue will be resolved  in much lesser time
frame, though doubts are there but looking forward to see any good updates regarding to this hacking incident.

There's no safe place for your assets aside from one inside your own position, a hard wallet where control is everything under your hands.

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1042
February 12, 2019, 06:15:06 AM
i don't have any funds on Cryptopia myself. but feel with everyone involved
and it just shows again how important it is to manage the funds yourself Lips sealed
it's exciting to see what the police are gonna do here.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 3098
February 11, 2019, 06:59:22 PM
KYC would not have stopped the hack. It would have just given the attacker most data to steal. And it would have been easy since this was clearly an inside job. I wish they would release an update already. I really liked this exchange, sad to see it so troubled in troubled times.

I do not think KYC can stop the hack, but he may be referred by those who have stolen funds. I can understand it is impossible to track funds on EtherDelta, but there are more top rated exchanges, where is traded with Cryptopia coins. they should investigate account owners and block funds.
Activity: 476
Merit: 107
A non technical guy in a technical world
February 11, 2019, 06:09:58 PM
KYC would not have stopped the hack. It would have just given the attacker most data to steal. And it would have been easy since this was clearly an inside job. I wish they would release an update already. I really liked this exchange, sad to see it so troubled in troubled times.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1103
This is what I do. I drink and I know things.
February 11, 2019, 03:07:17 PM
Well, to tell you the truth, I'm not worried or longing to see someone behind bars. I just want to know if I will ever see my coins again, and that reality seems to get more distant every day Sad

I'm with you like everybody else here but i want to see the glass almost full and not almost empty. So i try to think and stay positive...

KYC is stupid and I believe it serves either the two following agendas,
1) Exchanges have SEEM like they're regulating their customers.
2) They want to make some extra cash by selling our identities.

The truth though is that RL laws, regulations, centralized manipulations etc, demands from anyone that receives money from others (to store/stacking them or use them or provide a tool that actualy holders to trade their assets), to have informations from them that can be used from the authorities if and when they want to/see fit.
Also exchangers (if it's not DEX) need to have a capital reserve, they pass checks from local commissions and authorities and have a substainsantly big monthly cost. That's only for the constant paperwork that exchanger have to provide. So i dought that someone who invest a lot of money to create an exchanger, to put his investment in such a risk by trying to sell ID's. Of course exeptions applies to every rule...

Thankfully most of them, if not all, won't check or can't check the authenticity of the KYC.
I mean... some exchanges for example are operated from China... how can they know if I have photoshopped my ID card and my name is faked?
A fake ID isn't an issue for a hacker, heck I'm sure it's not hard for about 1/3 of our community!

That's because isn't their job to investigate the legitimacy of the paperwork and they don't forced to do so. Responsible for this is the applicant/owner of each account.
Their requirement is to ask from holders to provide their info and that's it.
Don't forget that things are generally the same everywhere but some countries are "friendlier" to such companies than others. Wink
Activity: 728
Merit: 169
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger
February 11, 2019, 08:30:12 AM
Am not sure why some of the big exchanges insist on his customers to pass KYC. Obviously, it does not serve anything, cannot help in finding those responsible for this.

"$3.2 million in tokens stolen from Cryptopia have been liquidated on major #cryptocurrency exchanges"

source: https://cointelegraph.com/news/analysis-hackers-liquidated-32-million-in-tokens-from-cryptopia-hack

Almost in all major exchanges traded with stolen coins. Binance? Kucoin?

KYC is stupid and I believe it serves either the two following agendas,
1) Exchanges have to SEEM like they're regulating their customers.
2) They want to make some extra cash by selling our identities.

Thankfully most of them, if not all, won't check or can't check the authenticity of the KYC.
I mean... some exchanges for example are operated from China... how can they know if I have photoshopped my ID card and my name is faked?
A fake ID isn't an issue for a hacker, heck I'm sure it's not hard for about 1/3 of our community!
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 3098
February 10, 2019, 07:31:58 PM
Am not sure why some of the big exchanges insist on his customers to pass KYC. Obviously, it does not serve anything, cannot help in finding those responsible for this.

"$3.2 million in tokens stolen from Cryptopia have been liquidated on major #cryptocurrency exchanges"

source: https://cointelegraph.com/news/analysis-hackers-liquidated-32-million-in-tokens-from-cryptopia-hack

Almost in all major exchanges traded with stolen coins. Binance? Kucoin?
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027
February 09, 2019, 02:33:17 PM
Well, to tell you the truth, I'm not worried or longing to see someone behind bars. I just want to know if I will ever see my coins again, and that reality seems to get more distant every day Sad
legendary
February 09, 2019, 07:47:18 AM

At least they try to do something and they are moving as fast as they can.
Suppose they will finish with Cryptopia's HQ investigation next week and close the part of "inside job".
We all now that it will take time, a lot of it. So as long as some pieces of this story clarify, things are going as good as it gets. It's better to see it optimistically.

As the article said though, many people dought that we will see someone behind bars for this crime...This realy sucks. Embarrassed
legendary
Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
January 31, 2019, 11:10:22 AM
subscribing to this thread - fingers crossed they get sorted soon and not all is lost!

Same ...

#crysx
Activity: 728
Merit: 169
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger
January 30, 2019, 03:26:01 PM
Do we have any update about the NZ Police investigation? Either from Cryptopia or the authorities.
The news keeps coming and it will be good to have something more solid about all of that. Roll Eyes

The only valid source for information is the police's official site,
https://www.police.govt.nz/search-results/cryptopia

Ofcourse we might hear something from Cryptopia too, but I doubt they'll be able to say anything before the police issues an official statement.
So far, nothing new here,
https://twitter.com/Cryptopia_NZ
https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/
legendary
January 30, 2019, 12:12:21 PM
Do we have any update about the NZ Police investigation? Either from Cryptopia or the authorities.
The news keeps coming and it will be good to have something more solid about all of that. Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
January 30, 2019, 07:44:56 AM
What a kind of exchange they are why they don't use hardware wallet to keep their funds safe? I really doubt this is an inside job it is impossible to get hacked.

Well, either it's an inside job or they're a really crappy exchange. It's no use throwing around accusations right now because that doesn't matter in the end if there's no proper evidence, let's hope the police find the truth.

They might have a cold wallet but somehow they don't store the private key securely, just like what many articles suggested. So it doesn't matter if they have hardware wallet or not, if the hacker stole the seed and backup then it's pretty much game over. But yeah, it's hard to believe. #Exitscam is trending now btw.
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 1206
January 30, 2019, 06:12:40 AM
I have no idea if it's true, but:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/al4qjm/cryptopia_didnt_get_hacked_again_the_hacker_stole/

TLDR: Allegedly:
"Cryptopia didnt get hacked again, the hacker "stole Cryptopia's private keys and deleted topia's copy. "Basically using Cryptopia's address as his own."

That's incredible if true. It would mean the hacker assumed that Cryptopia didn't keep proper offline back-ups. That would mean they only kept one set of private keys, with everything stored on online servers. In this day and age, that's difficult to believe.
Even before the hacked has not happened I don't trust Cryptopia exchange, a bunch of complaint regarding their exchange. Lack of customer supports staff, there's no reason they get hacked or either this case is an inside job.
What a kind of exchange they are why they don't use hardware wallet to keep their funds safe? I really doubt this is an inside job it is impossible to get hacked.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196
STOP SNITCHIN'
January 30, 2019, 05:03:50 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/al4qjm/cryptopia_didnt_get_hacked_again_the_hacker_stole/

"Cryptopia didnt get hacked again, the hacker "stole Cryptopia's private keys and deleted topia's copy. "Basically using Cryptopia's address as his own."

That's incredible if true. It would mean the hacker assumed that Cryptopia didn't keep proper offline back-ups. That would mean they only kept one set of private keys, with everything stored on online servers. In this day and age, that's difficult to believe.
Activity: 83
Merit: 1
January 30, 2019, 04:36:43 AM

Activity: 1414
Merit: 254
January 30, 2019, 12:21:50 AM
No news still??? The site is the same since January 14. Cryptopia didn't even bother to send a follow up to its users, so we are all in the dark at this point... I'm starting to seriously doubt if I'm going to see my coins ever again Sad
Yeah, it's about 2 weeks without any update on their investigation even in their social media. Maybe, it will take months until we get news from the team. I hope I'm wrong. I'm sure anxious feelings have begun to accumulate among cryptopia users now.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027
January 29, 2019, 11:04:50 PM
Does this count as "news" ?
https://ambcrypto.com/cryptopia-compromised-in-another-attack-by-hackers-loses-180k-worth-of-ethereum-eth/

I guess the hacker decided to pick up the change! Tongue

Well... it seems that the hacker only aimed for Ethereum ERC 20 Tokens. He aimed for ethereum Dentacoin, Oyster Perl, Lisk ML and Centrality. We may be able to get other coins back... well.. at least let's hope so :\
Pages:
Jump to: