Pages:
Author

Topic: DagCoin: a cryptocurrency without blocks - page 8. (Read 70792 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Dagcoin will start their 3 month Pre-launch period on July 1,2017. And believe me I know all the details on how and where to buy dagcoins on pre-sale before it goes to exchanges. Just inbox me i'll give you details.  Wink

hmm what is this coin? new comptetitor for byteball/iota/rai?

please tell me it will have a better name and marketing than those three hideous coins/wallets
Activity: 211
Merit: 10
BountyHunter|AirdropHunter|Pretty Girl Hunter
Dagcoin will start their 3 month Pre-launch period on July 1,2017. And believe me I know all the details on how and where to buy dagcoins on pre-sale before it goes to exchanges. Just inbox me i'll give you details.  Wink
Activity: 1050
Merit: 251
sir do you have another thread about the information of this project you we can read or signature campaign?

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Cool! I was working on a similar problem last year. My approach was to have txs delivered in rounds (also with PoW, in a DAG), such that low value txs happen early in the round and higher value txs happen later in the round (and must point to previous, lower value txs in the round). A “highest value tx in this round” acts as a shelling point to “end the round”, ie. new low value txs start pouring in on top of it for the next round. You’d want to get at least a few rounds of confirmation before accepting a transaction, and an interesting auction economics emerges for rolling into the next round. A more complex variation would target the distribution of tx amounts directly, such that the modes happen early in the round, and the tails end the round.
Activity: 29
What is the present list of DAG based ledgers? I could find tangle/iota, byteball and this. I'd like to research more into this, so any additional references would be helpful.

For completeness' sake there's also XRB - RaiBlocks. Very cool distribution model btw - proof of reCAPTCHA Smiley)

Resources worth checking out:

ANN: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/annxrbcryptocurrencys-killer-app-raiblocks-micropayments-1381323
XRB vs BTC vs XRP: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.19698220
Github: https://github.com/clemahieu/raiblocks
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist
Do you have exchanger for Dagcoin?

DagCoin is not an altcoin. It is a concept that originally was meant to be used as a Bitcoin sidechain.

As far as I know, the original idea was never transformed into a working cryptocurrency. But with Byteball and Iota there are two altcoins attempting something similar.

I am strongly in favor to limit the scope of this thread to the "DAG" concept in general and the original DAGcoin implementation, and not discuss Byteball and Iota here, as they are discussed in several threads in the Altcoin subforum.

First I thought, "Interesting." But then I read this:

Quote from: Dagcoin Github
Dagcoin uses byteball network as an underlying platform.

So it's a second-layer currency built on an altcoin - not really what we're discussing here.
Activity: 176
Merit: 100
Do you have exchanger for Dagcoin?
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist
Having observed Iota a bit and being a bit disappointed by Byteball, I must say that I haven't understood the exact advantages of a DAG with respect to a blockchain, at least of a DAG based on the "transactions as blocks" paradigm like Iota and Byteball (instead, a limited DAG-based approach like in Ethereum seems to have some advantages).

Iota cites scalability (mainly, as far as I understand it, because of fast transaction propagation/validation), but small-block blockchains should have the same advantages. Iota's zero-fee paradigm seems specific to its design and not to a DAG (Steem, for example, being blockchain based also has zero fees). And then there is the issue to get transactions confirmed that looks pretty difficult in Iota. In both Iota and Byteball, as far as I know, also still centralized servers work as the "clock" of the system.

So I would be really grateful if someone could explain the advantages of a DAGcoin and what is its real potential. (This thread also was not helpful, but I have some hope that in this subforum there are more technically skilled people than in the altcoin forum.)

Also, I have heard also that research is going on to integrate the concept into Bitcoin in the far future. If someone knows more, I'd be grateful for links about that.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
What is reason that one needs to buy these?

(The optimal way to get anything bootstrapped is a free spinoff, eg. a cryptocurrency receives the highest marketcap if it is given for free according to the amount one paid personal (fiat) taxes last year... The previous would give everyone according to their ability to spend, and propel any reasonably transactable token to billion$ of marketcap in an instant, without moving any other currency in the bootstrapping process.)
Activity: 111
Cryptowhiz
Exactly...

this is the reason i have reservations with dag.

This sounds really interesting, but my biggest concern is that the individual user actually loses out by being forced into mining. Right now, users of a blockchain pay a fee to miners for their services. As a result, big business has developed around mining as cheaply as possible to maximize profits. And this works out well for the end user because they don't have to worry about owning a mining rig or paying the cost in electricity that would be required to run all the hash attempts.

What happens when every person has to mine their own transaction? First of all, the user will be on the hook for that cost in electricity/mining hardware cost. Second, their transaction is dependent on them being able to solve someone else's unreferenced transaction. Doesn't that end up being cost-prohibitive?
Activity: 111
Cryptowhiz
Is your system a Quorum Based Qubic system???

Very interesting. I'm coding a very similar system right now. 80% is already done.
Activity: 10
Have you looked at https://byteball.org what is your opinion on that?

Yes, would be interesting to get an opinion because...

...I'm still not convinced that Byteball is a pure DAG coin, to prove my position I would need to generate a lot of transactions on Byteball network to show that in certain conditions (related to DAG topology) TPS growth is negatively impacted by necessity to pick the main chain. If you compared Ethereum (which calls itself blockchain) and Byteball you would see that they don't differ much:

You keep spamming that image.

The best image of Byteball is this, an actual DAG.
https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fwf22yutl.png&t=576&c=RbxRGi7jK-Tm9w

Byteball is the first DAG-coin, the first! The first IoT coin, and the first on exchanges and actual use in livenet.

what's with the first thing? LoL

what a shill
Activity: 296
Merit: 100
This sounds really interesting, but my biggest concern is that the individual user actually loses out by being forced into mining. Right now, users of a blockchain pay a fee to miners for their services. As a result, big business has developed around mining as cheaply as possible to maximize profits. And this works out well for the end user because they don't have to worry about owning a mining rig or paying the cost in electricity that would be required to run all the hash attempts.

What happens when every person has to mine their own transaction? First of all, the user will be on the hook for that cost in electricity/mining hardware cost. Second, their transaction is dependent on them being able to solve someone else's unreferenced transaction. Doesn't that end up being cost-prohibitive?

I have this same question. Thats the only reason i havent bought dag yet.
Activity: 36

Activity: 73
It sounds nice, but I don't think this would get very far... It's just not a very smooth concept and it would bring nasty disadvantages with it too... ;/

could you elaborate? why not very smooth? what disadvantages? it seems like two coins already up and running on this concept.

One of the issues is that these DAG-based approaches give away the benefit of making "blocks" and merkle trees. This means that the ledger side rises linearly with tx count..there is no way to "prune" it..whereas in blockchain you could just store the headers and have merkle proofs to verify block membership.

Other issue is that the resulting structure is unwieldy and exposes lots of additional attack surfaces. Blockchain on the other hand is ideally a single linear chain or in the worst case some orphan blocks and a few forks..which makes it easier to analyze.
Activity: 333
Merit: 252
are there any other DAG coins now besides IOTA and Byteball?
Activity: 588
Merit: 254
It sounds nice, but I don't think this would get very far... It's just not a very smooth concept and it would bring nasty disadvantages with it too... ;/

could you elaborate? why not very smooth? what disadvantages? it seems like two coins already up and running on this concept.

Could you specify? What coins? Are they exactly the same as this one?
Activity: 588
Merit: 254
Pages:
Jump to: