Pages:
Author

Topic: Decentralised crime fighting using private set intersection protocols - page 6. (Read 33406 times)

Activity: 245
Merit: 104

A lot of posts are of the form, "but eventually governments will mandate the use of a blacklist!". Reality check, they already do

Just because they do now doesn't mean it is good, or should be done this way in the future, the whole point of bitcoin is to make it decentralized, and under nobodies control. What you are suggesting will destroy bitcoin. We need to make bitcoin transactions even more anonymous instead of giving in to government control.

I have no idea how you are on the development team, you are proposing really horrible things that would make bitcoin no better than regular currencies.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
And trying to appear reasonable about pursuing something that is not reasonable just makes you look even more manipulative, Mike. You will end up with "torches and pitchforks" situation, directed entirely at you, and while I don't advocate making you or anyone else into a pariah, I wouldn't be especially inclined to stand in their way either.

Drop it, or people may prefer to drop you, however useful you are to the dev team. A divisive character with divisive viewpoints is just that, and it's not good for the community or the project.
Activity: 471
Merit: 256
And this is how china gains control of the the financial world. 1 billion people forced to follow their government blacklist.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
Way too many posters here seem to have a naive belief that Bitcoin is indestructable. Governments cannot do anything against it because ...... peer to peer!!!1!

But that isn't true. It is completely trivial for a government to squash Bitcoin out of existence with the stroke of a pen. All they have to do is say, of course you can accept and use coins! We just need you to take a few small measures to help us fight the terrorists. You can start by filling out this 100 page form, and registering with your local regulator. By the way, they will charge a fee of several thousand dollars to consider your application. After a few months they will evaluate your risk to the system and decide on the level of surety bond required, normally half a million dollars will do. Don't forget to do this in every state where you might have a counterparty!

An outlaw currency is not even useful to outlaws. So that would be the end of Bitcoin.

The absolute best way to bring this scenario about is to engage in a dick-waving contest with the police. How many politicians got elected by promising to be soft on crime? Zero. It never happens. So if the police go to your local representatives and say, "it feels like half of our investigations come to a dead end because the scammers are using Bitcoin" suddenly the idea of just regulating it out of existence will seem like an awfully good one to the decision makers, especially if 90% of the electorate just hasn't heard about Bitcoin or doesn't care yet.

That's why it's important for Bitcoin users to recognise that one day we might be asked, "what's your solution?" and an answer of "we don't have one" will result in regulation. And no amount of bitching or posting cute quotes from historical figures will change it.

You are US-centric here, half the nodes are outside the US and probably more than half of all users are outside the US. I can wipe my ass with those 100 page forms  Tongue

Bitcoin can be used over TOR, not sure about I2P but IIRC there is a functional implementation of Namecoin over I2P (the same developer is working on DIANNA) and there are some plans of Bitcoin over Freenet although the works have stalled (probably until there is more demand for it). People are involved in cjdns and mesh networks, hopefully one day the Internet infrastructure will be operating independently of the governments ('I have a dream...').

The best the govts can do is follow North Korea's steps - allow only a few selected individuals to access the Internet. I don't believe they would go as far. Despite China's Great Firewall people are still able to bypass the censorship, same would happen to Bitcoin users if it was to be outlawed.
legendary
Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000
Yeah, so to be clear, there are no extensions or changes to Bitcoin necessary for this. So it'd never be required to use the system. It's an optional thing that people can take part in if they want to help raise the bar for criminals.

A lot of posts are of the form, "but eventually governments will mandate the use of a blacklist!". Reality check, they already do (see, the SDN list) and those blacklists apply regardless of what currency you use to trade. So you're worried about an eventuality that is already here. The system I've proposed is in every respect better than what is actually deployed by governments today - it has better respect for civil liberties, is more decentralized, etc.

Maybe one day society will give up on the idea of fighting crime through finance. I wouldn't cry about such an outcome - it's complicated and has all kinds of issues. But there is a 40+ year track record of doing so, hundreds of thousands of people who do it full time, etc. That isn't going to change overnight.

Mike, despite any good intentions on your part, any intent of changing any Bitcoin fundamentals will ever be seen as a betrayal by the majority of Bitcoin community. And fungibility is one of that most appreciated fundamentals.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
Yeah, so to be clear, there are no extensions or changes to Bitcoin necessary for this. So it'd never be required to use the system. It's an optional thing that people can take part in if they want to help raise the bar for criminals.

A lot of posts are of the form, "but eventually governments will mandate the use of a blacklist!". Reality check, they already do (see, the SDN list) and those blacklists apply regardless of what currency you use to trade. So you're worried about an eventuality that is already here. The system I've proposed is in every respect better than what is actually deployed by governments today - it has better respect for civil liberties, is more decentralized, etc.

Maybe one day society will give up on the idea of fighting crime through finance. I wouldn't cry about such an outcome - it's complicated and has all kinds of issues. But there is a 40+ year track record of doing so, hundreds of thousands of people who do it full time, etc. That isn't going to change overnight.

legendary
An outlaw currency is not even useful to outlaws. So that would be the end of Bitcoin.

The absolute best way to bring this scenario about is to engage in a dick-waving contest with the police.

As usual, you're only going to prove how ignorant you are, and how dogmatically you are willing to pursue your point of view. Your point of view seems largely unappreciated, no-one is or has been arguing for this except you.
legendary
Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000
Fungibility, a Bitcoin fundamental, and must remain this way. At any cost.
Activity: 793
Merit: 1016
I like the idea, but it should NOT be integrated with bitcoin.  Bitcoin is supposed to be CASH.  Cash is cash, good or bad.  Still, you preemptively answered a lot of immediate questions and concerns I had with such an idea in your OP Mike.  Well though out, and interesting idea.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
Think about it this way: would you argue that it is justified to require all Internet communication to be personalized and enforcing crime blacklists at the TCP level?

This already happens. What do you think SpamHaus is? That's right - a community run IP blacklist.

Spam RBLs are a good example of what I'm talking about. They were created because in most parts of the world spamming is either not a crime, or not an enforced one, but the internet community needed to beat spammers or  have email become completely worthless. So you started getting private blacklist operators and email servers check some subset of these blacklists.

Did some of the fears expressed on this thread become true? A little bit. Yes, spam RBLs reduced the "fungibility" of IP space because you might request some IPs and then discover they were already abused by their previous owners, so now not all IPs are created equal. SpamHaus and friends do sometimes blacklist people who are "innocent" or at least walking the line.

But at the same time, a lot of the more paranoid concerns never came true. Blacklists that were too aggressive and included too many innocent parties DID end up getting a poor reputation and being abandoned (I've seen this happen). Governments never seized control of the RBLs to censor email, even though they could have. Getting IP addresses didn't turn into a nightmare of endless blacklist checking. People did not abandon email en masse and it did not become a centralized system.

More importantly, because the internet community came up with its own solutions for fighting spam there wasn't much justification for governments stepping in and coming up with their own ideas, which would have been a disaster. If that'd happened you could pretty much expect an AML type solution for online communication, in which running an email server required licensing, ID verification of users, etc. Urgh.

This will lead to everyone applying the most restrictive blacklists with the fastest and least false negative prone approval process possible before accepting any payment.

They're incentivised in other direction by actually receiving money, right?

I think a lot of people have missed that one of the available actions is just to report a flagged transaction but carry on with it anyway. That way you get the money, the other guy gets to spend it, but there's some paper trail should somebody want to follow up. This is how AML actually works today anyway, banks don't have to reject suspicious transactions, they just report them.

Just have a look at how much debate there is over the scammer label in this forum and how time consuming these debates are. Do you really think each and every merchant will take the time to listen to your life story before accepting your payment? Who is going to pay for that time and effort? Also this merchant will have to convince their supplier as well to take the money, etc.

That's not how it works. Let's say this forum operates a scammer blacklist and you and your money end up in it. OK, now when you try and spend that money, the other guy sees a message saying the money came from a scam. Firstly, that's probably a good thing - they're now informed whereas previously they weren't. Maybe they know your story and don't think the tag was deserved so they just go ahead and accept the transaction. Maybe they don't and decide they don't want to deal with scammer, OK, that's what the blacklist is for.

If they re-spend the money, it'll get reflagged again to the next guy. Maybe he doesn't know the underlying story and doesn't care, he just doesn't want any hassle so he refuses the payment.

You aren't hosed. You can "clean" those coins via a nexus. In other words, you take your probable-proceeds-of-scamming money and send it to a nexus who then goes ahead and takes some reasonable action, like recording who you are so if an investigation takes place in future there's some kind of trail to follow. Then they mark those outputs as clean in their whitelist and send them back to you. Now you can spend them without problem because the next guys wallet walks backwards, sees that the coins passed through a nexus and thus that it's all sorted.

There is some hidden agenda, isn't it?

Forum posts hardly count as a hidden agenda Wink

By the way, for those frothing at the mouth about "censorship", that's something which is done by the state. Private individuals cannot censor each other. They can only decide whether to trade or not to trade.

Quote from: d'aniel
I'm curious about how people here would react if it became clear that a government ban on Bitcoin was being considered for the reasons Mike mentioned, and your political action wasn't likely to change this outcome.  Would you be willing to compromise and participate in such a self-policing proposal?  Would you thumb your nose at the authorities, and let them ban it?  Or would you perhaps go along with this for Bitcoin, but while participating in an underground fork (which avoids the chaos of transactions being valid on both chains somehow) whose focus was on extreme technical countermeasures to censorship and surveillance?  Or some other option?

As usual d'aniel nails it.

Way too many posters here seem to have a naive belief that Bitcoin is indestructable. Governments cannot do anything against it because ...... peer to peer!!!1!

But that isn't true. It is completely trivial for a government to squash Bitcoin out of existence with the stroke of a pen. All they have to do is say, of course you can accept and use coins! We just need you to take a few small measures to help us fight the terrorists. You can start by filling out this 100 page form, and registering with your local regulator. By the way, they will charge a fee of several thousand dollars to consider your application. After a few months they will evaluate your risk to the system and decide on the level of surety bond required, normally half a million dollars will do. Don't forget to do this in every state where you might have a counterparty!

The absolute best way to bring this scenario about is to engage in a dick-waving contest with the police. How many politicians got elected by promising to be soft on crime? Zero. It never happens. So if the police go to your local representatives and say, "it feels like half of our investigations come to a dead end because the scammers are using Bitcoin" suddenly the idea of just regulating it out of existence will seem like an awfully good one to the decision makers, especially if 90% of the electorate just hasn't heard about Bitcoin or doesn't care yet.

That's why it's important for Bitcoin users to recognise that one day we might be asked, "what's your solution?" and an answer of "we don't have one" will result in regulation. And no amount of bitching or posting cute quotes from historical figures will change it.
Activity: 245
Merit: 104
Activity: 461
Merit: 251
I'm curious about how people here would react if it became clear that a government ban on Bitcoin was being considered for the reasons Mike mentioned, and your political action wasn't likely to change this outcome.  Would you be willing to compromise and participate in such a self-policing proposal?  Would you thumb your nose at the authorities, and let them ban it?  Or would you perhaps go along with this for Bitcoin, but while participating in an underground fork (which avoids the chaos of transactions being valid on both chains somehow) whose focus was on extreme technical countermeasures to censorship and surveillance?  Or some other option?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
The problem I see is that users will converge on a set of blacklists whether they agree with the reason for blacklisting or not. Here's how (so you can explain what I've missed Smiley )

Suppose someone obtains some coins through a drug deal, and I don't care about that, so I happily accept his drug money for some other service. When I later try to spend that drug money, a large number of people refuse to accept, so I'm forced to use clean money for that transaction. This essentially means that the drug money is unspendable, and hence worthless, or simply worth less than clean money. I decide I'm not making that mistake again, so even though it's against my political principles, I refuse to accept drug money in future. I'm now one more person who has cut off anyone using drug money.

Combine the above with the fact that the majority of people don't want any trouble at all - even when completely innocent, and so will choose not to accept money on any of the blacklists run by governments, and you end up with a situation where your money is worth the most if it's not on any of the blacklists.

People in general are lazy, stupid and only willing to fight for their political beliefs when they personally are being persecuted, so I think the idea that we'll have some happy equilibrium representing what the majority believe in will not happen.

No, it would not converge. Should something like this ever reach a critical mass it will grow like cancer. The cleaner the coins the better so everybody tries to subscribe to as many lists as possible and goes down as many levels as possible.

This is a very bad idea.

Should it ever take foot there will soon be a new system to replace Bitcoin that is more anonymous and immune to this kind of control.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Another block in the wall
Lets see....

Mike wants Bitcoin to be more appealing to mass adoption by giving Governments options.

But isn't that pointless since Cryto-currency is open-source?

How can this be implemented on all alt-coins to fight AML?
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
This concept has been discussed at length before and vigorously rejected:

+1

I can only reiterate my concerns, but this is a very important topic and seeing Mike Hearn continue to vote in favor of it is even more unsettling. While your approach is intriguing from a technological point of view, the scenarios you describe don't seem very plausible to me and once such a system would be in widespread use it will just provoke countermeasures resulting in an arms race that will only lead to Bitcoin being a miserable experience for everybody in the end.

As the recipient of a transaction you will always bear the risk of receiving coins that will end up being blacklisted, because the crime of the sender was not yet reported or the verdict was not yet final (assuming the verification process is at least somewhat thorough). This will lead to everyone applying the most restrictive blacklists with the fastest and least false negative prone approval process possible before accepting any payment.

Yes. The assumption is that if Bob is really a human rights activist, then he either won't get blacklisted (because that kind of nonsense would result in people quickly abandoning the list), or he'll be able to persuade whoever he trades with not to report him. That lack of central control is key.

A decentralized blacklist approach sounds nice, until you factor in that most people are neither interested in nor able to personally assess the guilt of some suspect. Just have a look at how much debate there is over the scammer label in this forum and how time consuming these debates are. Do you really think each and every merchant will take the time to listen to your life story before accepting your payment? Who is going to pay for that time and effort? Also this merchant will have to convince their supplier as well to take the money, etc. Adding coin mixing to that equation will make it even more complicated.

Don't get me wrong: the fact that some crimes (especially corruption) will be much harder to trace with Bitcoin is one of my biggest concerns about Bitcoin in general, but I just don't see tainting coins as an acceptable way to go.

Think about it this way: would you argue that it is justified to require all Internet communication to be personalized and enforcing crime blacklists at the TCP level? Surely this would be an even more effective measure against crime but where do you draw the line?

Bitcoin is a tool for payments and not a tool to prevent or punish crime or to enforce arbitrary social concepts of justice!
legendary

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/a-warning-against-using-taint-85433

This not the first time Mike is taking up the same rhyme:

Freezing BitCoin addresses by regulating miners
April 17, 2011
by Mike Hearn
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/freezing-bitcoin-addresses-by-regulating-miners-5979

More on the same topic:

What if bitcoins that can be tracked back to Silk Road are declared 'illegal'?
June 22, 2011
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/what-if-bitcoins-that-can-be-tracked-back-to-silk-road-are-declared-illegal-20979

Governments/regulators may eventually actually *like* Bitcoin. - coin blacklists
December 02, 2011
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53539.0;all

And he didn't get a good response then, either.

Mike Hearn clearly advocates Bitcoin as a means of diminishing financial liberty, not that of improving it. Please go somewhere else with this Mike, I am beginning to find your rhetoric rather deceitful. By all means, create an establishment conformant alt-coin, but stop trying to turn Bitcoin into one. Satoshi's intentions quite clearly never included rationalising for increased state control of the monetary system, in fact, it was quite clearly and consistently the precise opposite.
Activity: 62
Merit: 10

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/a-warning-against-using-taint-85433

This not the first time Mike is taking up the same rhyme:

Freezing BitCoin addresses by regulating miners
April 17, 2011
by Mike Hearn
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/freezing-bitcoin-addresses-by-regulating-miners-5979

More on the same topic:

What if bitcoins that can be tracked back to Silk Road are declared 'illegal'?
June 22, 2011
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/what-if-bitcoins-that-can-be-tracked-back-to-silk-road-are-declared-illegal-20979

Governments/regulators may eventually actually *like* Bitcoin. - coin blacklists
December 02, 2011
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53539.0;all

EDIT:
My opinion: Bitcoin (as public ledger) is information. 'Tainted'/blacklisted/whitelisted coins are censorship in the purest form. When has censorship served for the good of humankind?
Activity: 740
Merit: 500
Hello world!
HATE TO SAY I TOLD YOU ALL SO:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/how-bitcoin-could-turn-into-a-big-brother-nightmare-114372

But I did...

I don't know if it's good or bad I predicted this last year...
Activity: 113
Merit: 11
Mike, this is vigilantism at it's utter worst. It would drive people away from Bitcoin faster than you can say, "we're taking 10% for all accounts over 100k Euros and 6% for all accounts under 100k Euros", noone can ever be certain the coins they currently hold will be accepted under a system like this. It also completely ruins the fungibility of Bitcoins that makes it such a good form of money.

We have courts and agencies in each country to deal with crimes committed on sovereign soil, this is their problem, not the Bitcoin network's. No person should EVER have to prove their innocence in order to spend their money. To think that it is the network's moral responsibility to ostracise payments based on an arbitrary and nebulous consensus is manifestly absurd. This kind of dangerous interference subverts due process in the country where the crime is being committed and would completely undermine the trust people have in the value of Bitcoin as a store of value.

Since when did we get the right to assign ourselves the position of multinational and morally righteous financial police?
Activity: 714
Merit: 601
Shocked WUT? This is a terrible idea!
Pages:
Jump to: